Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Funi's front page updates really drat slowly, none of the new shows were on there last I checked a few days ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Episode 2 is out.

Dynazenon, despite being from the minds of Tsubaraya, feels more like something out of the Brave series. Everyone has their own component, and they can recombine in various ways without necessarily forming Dynazenon - like this episode's Dyna Wing Soldier.

There's also the matter of the Kaiju Eugenicists, and it appears Gauma may have defected from them. Though what they want aside from what their name says remains unclear. Between this and Back Arrow, I'm getting a good fill of super robot action on Fridays.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 9, 2021

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Man, it's an utterly surreal vibe just how casually and in stride everyone just takes in the weirdo kaiju stuff. Really adds to the dream-like quality.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kaiju Eugenicists

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If the city isn't getting repaired overnight, there's not going to be much of it left at the rate they're going.

And that's certainly a heck of a villain group name.

I'm interested in what role Chise is going to play after seeing the OP.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 9, 2021

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

I love the theme song getting muffled in the cockpit.

-e-

Sindai posted:

If the city isn't getting repaired overnight, there's not going to be much of it left at the rate they're going.

And that's certainly a heck of a villain group name.

I'm interested in what role Chise is going to play after seeing the OP.

After finding that gem, she's for sure getting her own Kaiju.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 9, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, the series OP is awesome:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=SQVweXVKCaU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
New lore just dropped:

https://twitter.com/topherflorence/status/1380563316066631690

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Larryb posted:

Episode 2 is out.

Dynazenon, despite being from the minds of Tsubaraya, feels more like something out of the Brave series. Everyone has their own component, and they can recombine in various ways without necessarily forming Dynazenon - like this episode's Dyna Wing Soldier.

I mean, Gridman was originally Tsuburaya x Takara collabo, right? Even before Trigger showed up with the figure-specific character palette inspiration

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

I mean, Gridman was originally Tsuburaya x Takara collabo, right? Even before Trigger showed up with the figure-specific character palette inspiration

It was? I always assumed the live action show was purely a Tsuburaya production (it would explain why the show was a lot more toyetic than most Ultra shows at the time though)

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Larryb posted:

Episode 2 is out.

SSSS.Gridman did the exact same thing with the assist weapons.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Kaiju Eugenicists sounds like a name that'd spark endless twitter discourse. Anyway Gauma onwns

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

goblin week posted:

Kaiju Eugenicists sounds like a name that'd spark endless twitter discourse. Anyway Gauma onwns

I don't want to overstay my welco*snore*

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I'm glad Chise is real and is a friend.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

goblin week posted:

I assume they picked the name because it sounds more menacing than "Kaiju Breeders selecting for the best genetic traits over generations of Kaiju births." Or uhh "Kaiju Domesticators"

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Gauma is great. His visit to Yomogi's was a comic highlight. Good sense of humor to the show; Yomogi's flailing arms during the fight got a laugh too. Final fight was very entertaining.

Yume already opening up to Yomogi about her sister, apologizing for breaking her promise, and meeting the gang to train even before Yomogi was a surprise; I thought those developments would take longer than the second episode. I like that. Leaves me guessing where her arc will go from here.

Watched Gridman's second episode right before; it was pretty great, even having already been spoiled on the mystery. Real consistency of quality between seasons. Interesting that this season there's no post-fight reset of memories or property damage; wonder how that will play out.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

Interesting that this season there's no post-fight reset of memories or property damage.

One thing i noticed is that nobody seems to be surprised that Kaiju exist or that one just showed up in the middle of town (Twice! now) In fact, the kids groan loudly that the school should have let them know sooner about the shortened school day due to GIANT MONSTER ATTACK that destroyed a huge amount of terrain that we explicitly are shown through Yomogi.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pyronic posted:

One thing i noticed is that nobody seems to be surprised that Kaiju exist or that one just showed up in the middle of town (Twice! now) In fact, the kids groan loudly that the school should have let them know sooner about the shortened school day due to GIANT MONSTER ATTACK that destroyed a huge amount of terrain that we explicitly are shown through Yomogi.

Fits with the idea of it being a sequel to Gridman. The big finale there had everyone see the Kaiju battles and finally remember them. Add in the naturally occurring kaiju seen in this episode, and giant monsters are just going to be One Of Those Things.

Reminds me a bit of the scene in Chainsaw Man where a train tells people to evacuate with a Devil Attack alert.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Nobody seems to say anything about people dying, just property damage. Either they are extremely good with evacuations or something weird is going on. Or everybody just agreed not to mention it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Is the title of this thread ever gonna get fixed btw?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

So from the way the song was muted from within the cockpit in the opening scene should I be interpreting that as Dynazenon playing the opening song itself while in the middle of battle? Because that rules.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ethiser posted:

So from the way the song was muted from within the cockpit in the opening scene should I be interpreting that as Dynazenon playing the opening song itself while in the middle of battle? Because that rules.

That's what I interpreted from that scene too. The opening exists in series and Dyna Rex comes with its own BGM for epic battles.

And it only added to Yomogi's sheer confusion about the whole thing.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Kaiju Eugenisists could also mean they practice something like a idealogical version of what Akane was doing where she used Kaiju to kill people she didn't like. Maybe they use Kaiju to get rid of people they think are "useless" or "harming society" in some kind of twisted social engineering.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm curious as to how honest and complete Yume was being when she told Yomogi about her sister. By the end of the episode I felt pretty comfortable that there wasn't any outright lie there, but I wonder if there's something obvious and important she decided to omit. Just feels a bit too easy to get the story right away, especially given we've already established that she has a thing for playing with people with the fake dates and whatnot.

Also - do we have any idea who's holding the other end of the interconnected ankhs in that one shot in the OP? Going by the sleeve I assume one end is Yume, but have we seen anyone wearing that little puzzlepiece bracelet before? Could be her sister I guess.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/alice_M182/status/1379260233650896898

If this is anything to go by we should expect some fuckin' deep cuts for the references this time around.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Droyer posted:

https://twitter.com/alice_M182/status/1379260233650896898

If this is anything to go by we should expect some fuckin' deep cuts for the references this time around.

I’m apparently missing a reference here, what’s the deal with the pink robot thing?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Larryb posted:

I’m apparently missing a reference here, what’s the deal with the pink robot thing?

So almost all the characters in SSSS.Gridman had design elements that referenced certain Transformers. Yuuta was Cliffjumper, Akane was Shattered Glass Optimus etc. So people went inito Dynazenon expecting the same thing and have started looking for the references.

That little robot is a Microman Command Lady from Microman, one of the predecessors to the Transformers. Its color scheme matches up with Ranka's but the real clincher is that she has a little Statue of Liberty insignia on her cardigan, and the Lady Command came with a Statue of Liberty-shaped container to store it in.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Droyer posted:

Is the title of this thread ever gonna get fixed btw?

I'm gonna blame Wark or Julias for this one, but it might have been me who gave the wrong spelling to them in the first place :v:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcMvChQhDd4
https://barnnn.blogspot.com/2021/04/ssssdynazenon-voice-drama-episode-22.html

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Oh that's nice. I was just thinking about how, amidst all the other stuff in the episode, it raised the mystery of what was going on with Yomogi's family and why he was so dedicated to working.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's interesting that the kaiju seemed pretty docile until the eugenicists took control of it. if kaiju incidents have happened before but they're mostly just leaving people alone unless provoked, it'd make sense for peoples reactions to them to be fairly muted? just a shot in the dark, though.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
So possible hints of things to come in the OP I noticed When we get closeups of everyone pulling their toys out of their pockets they are facing down a blurry person in the background. Gauma is facing the Eugenicists, Yume is facing herself (maybe her sister), and Koyomi is facing a short girl whose face is obscured but is wearing the same red and black uniform Chise is wearing in the mirror. Hints at future conflicts?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also, the wing soldier thing makes me wonder if it'll go with a pattern of 'two characters bond, then combine in the fight at the end of the ep.' it'd be a pretty tokuish routine and it'd be fun to see characters you wouldn't expect to interact to do so, but it might be a bit stock for this show.

edit: actually, the op shows various combinations with soldier, so thatll probably be the next couple eps at any rate.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 10, 2021

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm reminded how late into Gridman we learn that Kaiju in that show didn't *need* to be born from Akane's or Alexis' powers and weren't necessarily hostile, so it might just be that they're just relatively common animals in this setting and just don't generally make much of a fuss until Dominated by our Eugenicists.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

it's interesting that the kaiju seemed pretty docile until the eugenicists took control of it. if kaiju incidents have happened before but they're mostly just leaving people alone unless provoked, it'd make sense for peoples reactions to them to be fairly muted? just a shot in the dark, though.

Show moves fast and puts a lot of emphasis on things happening to the side or in the background. It scans.

I mean, a school having defined policies for Kaiju attacks would be pretty weird if they never happened, but if the attacks were usually this bad, it'd be weird for things to be this normal.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Seen on a Korean community board, perhaps some slightly early character spoilers from a Japanese magazine article (I believe?) supported by details in the first episode.

The character synopsis says that Koyomi is 33 years old. That Game Boy Pocket there would've come out in 1998-ish. Koyomi could have comfortably been in grade school around that time if he's 33 now. Just seems like an appropriate detail if so.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hogama posted:

Seen on a Korean community board, perhaps some slightly early character spoilers from a Japanese magazine article (I believe?) supported by details in the first episode.

The character synopsis says that Koyomi is 33 years old. That Game Boy Pocket there would've come out in 1998-ish. Koyomi could have comfortably been in grade school around that time if he's 33 now. Just seems like an appropriate detail if so.

Wow that is way older then I thought he was, I thought he was a collage drop out.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are the original Gridman audio dramas (or transcripts) still around? One of my friends started watching it recently and apparently they're all gone from youtube now.

Artum posted:

Seems concerns about the characters just being retreads of gridman are unwarranted in any case.

It's funny because I was kinda skeptical they'd pull off having it feel really differente, but watching dynazenon I really miss the gridman cast. Not because I don't like the new ones, or anything.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

Are the original Gridman audio dramas (or transcripts) still around? One of my friends started watching it recently and apparently they're all gone from youtube now.

Got the transcripts, at least. The audiodramas went back up for a bit in the leadup to the new season, but they're gone again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Wow that is way older then I thought he was, I thought he was a collage drop out.

yeah i would pegged him for like, 26ish tops. kinda explains better why he gets weird looks when hes wandering around with chise, though.

speaking of chise and koyomi, funny detail. chise's va is the cousin of... yomogi's va. so close.