Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Have any of you all played with Dante? We’re running most of the audio for the “big basketball dance” broadcasts on it and it’s so rad and so easy.

I want it at my house. I want to network-enable everything. I want to strap a raspberry pi to every recording interface or headphone amp or stereo I’ve got and have real-time, synchronous audio everywhere.

Seems like Dante Via and Virtual Soundcard aren’t coming to linux anytime soon so I can only daydream about the Pi thing for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eddiewalker posted:

Have any of you all played with Dante? We’re running most of the audio for the “big basketball dance” broadcasts on it and it’s so rad and so easy.

I want it at my house. I want to network-enable everything. I want to strap a raspberry pi to every recording interface or headphone amp or stereo I’ve got and have real-time, synchronous audio everywhere.

Seems like Dante Via and Virtual Soundcard aren’t coming to linux anytime soon so I can only daydream about the Pi thing for now.

I had a blog bookmarked that explained exactly what to do to do this exact thing over linux, cause I was looking at the idea of playing music all around the house at once. But now I can't find it :mad:

there's at least a couple ways to do that though, these looked good to me:

https://rootprompt.apatsch.net/2013/02/20/raspberry-pi-network-audio-player-pulseaudio-dlna-and-bluetooth-a2dp-part-1-pulseaudio/

http://blog.scphillips.com/posts/2014/05/playing-music-on-a-raspberry-pi-using-upnp-and-dlna-v3/

https://www.balena.io/blog/turn-your-old-speakers-or-hi-fi-into-bluetooth-receivers-using-only-a-raspberry-pi/#giveitatry

https://andrewkelley.me/post/raspberry-pi-music-player-server.html

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

IIRC there's some patents around network audio synchronization that Sonos likes collecting license fees for, I'd guess a full free solution is a few years away.

That said, I should be able to route any and all audio in my house wherever else I want it and over the internet too and we're getting pretty close to that being a thing, at least for stereo.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Ak Gara posted:

I'm currently using a 15 meter RCA cable to my subwoofer, and am worried that's too long for RCA

What has given you this idea?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

What has given you this idea?

15 meters/50 feet is probably going to be fine. I'm still waiting for the subwoofers to arrive so I'll see how they go with RCA before deciding if I should swap them to XLR.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Dante looks pretty interesting. I have been using Roon and just installed an Intel NUC 10 running windows 10 pro for Roon Core and other server duties.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
If I want to run separate audio tracks from a computer such as voice chat and "everything else" to a mixer, so I can run spoken audio through hardware equalizers and compressors, is the best way to do it to just get a supplementary sound card and run both audio tracks like that?

I'd rather have hardware buttons and faders to mess with than a DAW with a bunch of macros I'll have to set up.

If I want even more than two tracks, is there an upgrade better than this type of sidegrade like one PCI-e solution with multiple audio outs?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You can get a usb DAC and set programs to use that output. Even fancier, use voicemeeter to control your outputs.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It's pretty full on, but a mixer like the tascam model 12 is a multi in, multi out audio interface, it has inserts for hardware effects on two channels, plus a built-in effects processor and obviously the per channel EQ. There are similar things by other brands too.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Flipperwaldt posted:

It's pretty full on, but a mixer like the tascam model 12 is a multi in, multi out audio interface, it has inserts for hardware effects on two channels, plus a built-in effects processor and obviously the per channel EQ. There are similar things by other brands too.
This looks pretty cool. As far as I understand, its software multitrack support goes through its DAW Controller with presets for a bunch of audio editing software, but if I want to use it with some combination of OBS/VoiceMeeter, would I still be able to assign and control tracks separately through the physical track controls on the mixer, even without an explicit DAW controller for VoiceMeeter or other general-purpose Windows DAWs+VACs*?

*The presets are MACKIE - Live, HUI - Pro Tools, MACKIE - Cubase,
MACKIE - Cakewalk, MACKIE - Logic, MACKIE - DP
according to the manual.

kliras fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 10, 2021

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

kliras posted:

This looks pretty cool. As far as I understand, its software multitrack support goes through its DAW Controller with presets for a bunch of audio editing software, but if I want to use it with some combination of OBS/VoiceMeeter, would I still be able to assign and control tracks separately through the physical track controls on the mixer, even without an explicit DAW controller for VoiceMeeter or other general-purpose Windows DAWs+VACs*?

*The presets are MACKIE - Live, HUI - Pro Tools, MACKIE - Cubase,
MACKIE - Cakewalk, MACKIE - Logic, MACKIE - DP
according to the manual.
Oh man, while this thing can do Mackie control emulation to enable you to link on screen stuff with hardware control, it's by far the least interesting thing it can do and it would be way overpriced if that's what you're mainly interested in. Because it's a random bonus afterthought in the Tascam. I don't know if obs or voicemeeter support such a thing in the first place. Enabling Mackie control mode turns the mixer into a 2 in/2 out audio interface, which makes the whole combo useless for someone with presumably multiple, separate sound sources that are inside the computer.

The meat and bones of what this thing is though, is that in the other modes, you can let go of voicemeeter or virtual audio cable or whatever to route or mix audio and you bring those functions outside of the computer, into the mixer. The mixer presents itself to the computer as a 12 in/10 out audio interface. Each program or sound source doesn't have to be smarter than to let you select the hardware inputs and hardware outputs it needs. And then you do all the routing and mixing and applying effects on the mixer and then feed the audio back into the computer.

The same would be true if you'd use it in combination with a DAW. You just completely bypass the DAW's own mixer's mixing functionality. Each channel can be assigned a hardware input and output. Audio goes out as individual tracks, gets mixed in the Tascam, mix can be fed back in if desired. The great benefit being exactly that you're not mapping any controls to another thing that happens in the computer, but that you have direct, 1:1, hands on control of the mixing process. Plus getting external sources like mics into the computer obviously and whatever else you could want from a hardware mixer.

If that wasn't essentially what you were looking for, I apologize for misunderstanding. I hope all this makes sense, I'm not great at explaining it and it's quite a thing to wrap your head around.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Will it present itself this way as 10/12 literal input/output devices in Windows so you don't have to use VACs and other stuff like that? I tried to find some manuals and YouTube videos, and the only thing I could find to show this was an Ableton example where it presented itself as one audio device but with multitrack support, so maybe that gave me the wrong idea.

I don't have a great mental model about how mixers work in conjunction with various inputs, so it's super hard to read up on how stuff works. If I could just cut DAWs mostly out of the equation and leave everything for the hardware mixer, that would definitely be the dream.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

kliras posted:

Will it present itself this way as 10/12 literal input/output devices in Windows so you don't have to use VACs and other stuff like that? I tried to find some manuals and YouTube videos, and the only thing I could find to show this was an Ableton example where it presented itself as one audio device but with multitrack support, so maybe that gave me the wrong idea.

I don't have a great mental model about how mixers work in conjunction with various inputs, so it's super hard to read up on how stuff works. If I could just cut DAWs mostly out of the equation and leave everything for the hardware mixer, that would definitely be the dream.
I was going to be all duh, because all multichannel interfaces I've had present themselves as multiple stereo pairs in Windows. And then it turns out you're exactly right, the Tascam is one 12 channel output device as far as Windows is concerned. Which is useless then.

However, while trying to find out how common this was, I came across a manual for the Soundcraft Signature MTK series (so another mixer line by another manufacturer) that on page 8 shows that it presents itself to Windows as multiple stereo devices. I haven't looked into that one as much as the other one, but already it looks more suitable.

I don't own either, btw. It's just something I came across a couple of weeks ago and leafed through the manuals because it seemed interesting and mentioned it now because it seemed to be suited to what you were trying to do. I hope that's still true, as a type of device in general and it's not just my enthousiasm for having learned about something new, directing your attention to something that's not helpful at all :cripes:

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
I mean, there's still something helpful about being reassured "no, it's not just you; it's really that difficult to find a mixer that does such a seemingly normal thing many people would love". Guess I'm not crazy for wanting one and not finding it. I guess settling for a separate sound card for voice chat and handling any additional sources through pure software is the way to go for now.

I can't help wonder why streamers use such huge mixers for their workflows, but they probably spend their money in very different ways than I do. Not to mention that Fisher-Price-looking GoXLR crap some go by.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I’m pretty sure the Behringer XR12/16/18 can do what you want, but you’re spending real money and have to use an iPad or PC app to make “physical changes” in the mixer.

I have an xr18 and it’s rad as heck.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I have a question about applying parametric equalization filters.
My MiniDSP let's me use a 6 band on the Input, and a second 6 band on the Output. This gives me several options:

6 band full 20-20k hz filter for the Input
Rerun REW and add a corrective second 6 band full 20-20k hz filter on the Output

6 band 20-1000 hz for the Input
6 band 1000-20k hz for the Output.
The problem with that one is if both try to add a filter to the same area.

Turn off MiniDSP mode in REW and manually set it to 12 bands, add half to Input and half to Output.
This sounds like a better way.

I guess that's not really a question and more me thinking out loud.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Interesting, my miniDSP SHD only applies PEQ on the output side but it's 10 independent PEQ settings per channel for each of the 4 channels. The input side is where DIRAC correction and any DIRAC gain/balance adjustments are applied.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I really wanted to try dirac live, DL + PEQ is way better than PEQ + PEQ but the licence is so expensive it almost doubles the cost of the MiniDSP 10x10 vs the dirac live version.

I'm also using that app that let's you do a REW edit to Denon's Audyssey file.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am looking at getting a headphone amp as my AKG K240's seem they need a boost when I pop them into M-Audio AV 40's.

I was drawn to the Schitt Magni Heresy but was wondering how you actually hook this up? I checked the PDF instructions but it wasn't very clear to my pea brain. Right now the speakers are connected by regular speaker cord then there's a cord from them to my computer.

https://www.schiit.com/public/upload/PDF/magni%203plus%20and%20heresy%20manual%201_1.pdf

There's the PDF instrucitons. Basically, wondering which cables go where into this.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 15, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Vintersorg posted:

I am looking at getting a headphone amp as my AKG K240's seem they need a boost when I pop them into M-Audio AV 40's.

I was drawn to the Schitt Magni Heresy but was wondering how you actually hook this up? I checked the PDF instructions but it wasn't very clear to my pea brain. Right now the speakers are connected by regular speaker cord then there's a cord from them to my computer.

https://www.schiit.com/public/upload/PDF/magni%203plus%20and%20heresy%20manual%201_1.pdf

There's the PDF instrucitons. Basically, wondering which cables go where into this.

What’s your source(s)? What are you using to make sound (computer, iPhone, turntable, etc)?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Source is my computer.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Finally got my new subs installed. Level matched all the speakers to the same dB. Ran Audyssey, told me to gently caress off, had to lower the main amps by 15dB and subs by -6 and then run again.

It should be fine to turn everything back up, right?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Aside from basic dynamic/shotgun microphones, are there any interesting and cheapish very directional microphones you could use to isolate and identify noises if you wanna goof around with computers, motherboards, and fun stuff like that in a workshop? Or record something for videos.

Just in case there is something specifically created for this rather than more general-purpose microphones.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

kliras posted:

Aside from basic dynamic/shotgun microphones, are there any interesting and cheapish very directional microphones you could use to isolate and identify noises if you wanna goof around with computers, motherboards, and fun stuff like that in a workshop? Or record something for videos.

Just in case there is something specifically created for this rather than more general-purpose microphones.

You want one of the threads in Musicians Lounge, not sure if there’s a mic or ambient recording-specific thread, but the general questions or recording thread should help you

This thread/subforum is more for A/V questions like “why are my home theater speakers making a weird buzzing sound?”

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Alright, I'll check it out, thanks!

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
Not sure if this is a Simple Question, or if it should go in the home audio system thread, but what is the state of technology around decently synced wireless audio?

I basically just want to be able to play music from my desktop PC (I currently just have regular speakers plugged in), and have a nice portable bluetooth/wifi speaker I can place elsewhere in my house for pseudo-"whole house" audio.

Based on the post at the top of this thread, it wouldn't surprise me if the answer is Sonos, but I'm curious to see different options for different price ranges. I'm open to DIY solutions, too.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Bluetooth will always have latency which means if you can hear both at the same time you will go insane. WiFi streaming also has latency but better systems account for it. Sonos is the easiest answer but also quite expensive and it stupidly will not play on your PC. Airplay works if you have Apple stuff, there’s also Chromecast and eve cheap Raspberry Pi stuff running Volumio or the like. It’s really math around how much you want to spend vs. how much you want to DIY.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

I'm having a very specific and annoying audio issue with a PC I just built. I am getting a significant amount of noise over both my USB interface and when plugging a stereo cable directly into the motherboard. I do not get this noise if I plug headphones into the computer instead.

The noise is not a ground loop. It's more like "computer noise" for lack of a better term. I guess RF interference from the computer.

Things I have tried:

- A different mixer. The only difference was that I could pick up a local radio station if I plugged the RCA cables into the mixer very loosely :v:
- A different room. I took just the PC, the mixer, and the interface into a different room and experienced the same issue.
- Using a ground lift adapter to remove my PC from ground. This fixes the issue but I obviously don't want to do this.

I should mention the audio interface I've been using doesn't have balanced outputs. I'm open to getting one with balanced outs if that would fix this.

Any suggestions?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
My wife wants better audio in our garden. By "garden" we're talking something of a 3000 square foot space. This is similar to our backyard set up. She is thinking of this stuff:
Sony STRDH190 receiver
16AWG CL3 OFC outdoor speaker wire. It claims to be okay for surface wiring and that matters since this will have to run up some posts. I don't know about that gauge though. I think the longest run would go upwards of 100 feet.
Two pairs of Klipsch AW-650 speakers. We have two pairs in the back yard and they have been great.

The back yard has previous used a Yamaha R-S202BL receiver. We usually have the volume 80-90% on it for regular listening. I'm wondering if we need something with a higher wattage output. It seems silly to tack an amplifier on to this.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

skull mask mcgee posted:

I'm having a very specific and annoying audio issue with a PC I just built. I am getting a significant amount of noise over both my USB interface and when plugging a stereo cable directly into the motherboard. I do not get this noise if I plug headphones into the computer instead.

The noise is not a ground loop. It's more like "computer noise" for lack of a better term. I guess RF interference from the computer.

Things I have tried:

- A different mixer. The only difference was that I could pick up a local radio station if I plugged the RCA cables into the mixer very loosely :v:
- A different room. I took just the PC, the mixer, and the interface into a different room and experienced the same issue.
- Using a ground lift adapter to remove my PC from ground. This fixes the issue but I obviously don't want to do this.

I should mention the audio interface I've been using doesn't have balanced outputs. I'm open to getting one with balanced outs if that would fix this.

Any suggestions?

This sounds weird since you insist it isn't a ground loop issue. It could be USB noise I suppose, so perhaps you could try an extension cable for the usb interface. Update your drivers.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I have two echo studio speakers on my desk. Can I get these things to play in stereo over a bluetooth connection from my pc?

I got them paired in the alexa app and they play in stereo from a fire tv, but only one plays via bluetooth.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Ok, very simple problem here.

I just moved my whole PC setup, which is part of a theater setup. There are 2 systems here:

A 5.1 setup connected to an AV receiver.
A 2.0/2.1 setup connected to an external DAC/AMP.

The way I had it set up before is that I had an A/V switch so that I could connect the subwoofer from the 5.1 setup to the 2.0 setup and switch between the two with the press of a button on the switch. I haphazardly pulled all the wires without noting how I had it set up when dismantling it, and I forgot the configuration of subwoofer cables and what not. What should be feeding into what? Basic bullshit, but I haven't touched any of my poo poo in years and don't have the patience to just try various combinations of subwoofer cables going into the switch, receiver, and amp.

Edit: I have either individual system working, but I can't figure out how I had it before where it passes through the receiver and gives juice to it by default with no switches activated. I can only figure out how to have it so activating a switch activates whatever is connected at that time.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 14, 2021

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
In terms of sound quality, is a TRS to TRS cable any different from a TRS to XLR? Even if only marginally.

Both are an option, both are around the same price. The purpose is for studio monitors for music production and sound design, so even a marginal benefit of one over the other is preferable.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

boop the snoot posted:

In terms of sound quality, is a TRS to TRS cable any different from a TRS to XLR? Even if only marginally.

Both are an option, both are around the same price. The purpose is for studio monitors for music production and sound design, so even a marginal benefit of one over the other is preferable.

Same signal, different package. You can fit more balanced TRS on a panel, so it’s popular for equipment that doesn’t need the locking function of XLR.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
I have an ok DAC+AMP combination for my main computer.
I'd like to also be able to hook up my work laptop to this somehow to use the same headphones.

I initially tride connecting the DAC with a USB switch to both computers, but had issues with this, so now my thinking is:

code:
Desktop  ->  DAC  ->  Mixer/Switch -> AMP -> Headphones
                           ^
                           |
Laptop (analog line out) __/                                                                                                                                                                                                              
What type of cheap-ish mixer/switch should I be using for this? Ideally with as low quality loss as possible.

(I only need two channels)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You need 4 channels because a single channel on a mixer is mono.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Well yes, two stereo channels :)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Cheap mixers are noisy, definitely get a switch.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
I have my SMSL AD18 DAC/Amp connected to the PC via USB (for DAC) and the 3.5mm aux (for my bookshelf speakers) playing Tidal/Spotify. When nothing is playing, it has an audible hiss/white noise at about volume 20/60, not so much around 18 and below.

Is this because the source (PC) is noisy? Or the AD18 is known to be really hissy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

USB is a purely digital connection, so there's no way for the noise to get from your PC.

The AD18 is simply noisy. Make sure you have the volume on your PC set relatively high or even at 100%, so you can keep the volume on the AD18 low and less noisy.