Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I've never written with one, but I've held them, and they're uncomfortably heavy. Easily the heaviest pen I've held. I don't think you could write comfortably with them posted, if that's your thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
They remind me of the Faber Castell LOOM which was one of my very first fountain pens in terms of shape and machining. Never tried Karas but I would imagine based on the way they have their site setup that they are chunky writers (i know this is basically zero help)

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

howe_sam posted:

PenBBS, Narwhal, and a few other people all make relatively cheap piston fillers, but if I was looking for a high capacity pen, I'd save up a few bucks more and buy an Opus 88 demonstrator. Those things are absolute units, and really bulletproof eyedroppers as well.

I just got an Opus 88 and love it. Looks great, writes well and holds a tonne of ink.

I threw out my Ahab out of frustration with the drat thing even though it did hold lots of ink. :)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

iospace posted:

Huh, that's cool.

Anyway... was thinking about starting a new thread. The old OP is still mostly relevant (some of the links are dead), but it's 8 years old at this point and the OP is gone.

Any thoughts?

new thread title is pretty good though.

the only thing I would change in the op is remove the link to isellpens, maybe tighten the sellers list

what we really need is a thread ik to fix the op and hand out gang tags

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

atholbrose posted:

The nib isn't three-tined, but it is a big, wide, squared-off nib -- kinda like a triple broad, as Sailor nibs go.

I am bad at pen photography, but here are these:

These are great thanks!

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

sb hermit posted:

what we really need is a thread ik to fix the op and hand out gang tags
The gang tag is just Baystate Blue getting everywhere

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Mountains rise and fall, and under them the Turtle swims onward. Men live and die, and the Turtle Moves. Empires grow and crumble, and the Turtle Moves. Gods come and go, and still the Turtle Moves.

The Turtle Moves.

FFT posted:

Blue hands gang.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

FFT posted:

“Baystate Blues” with a nib and then it fills with splatter.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
You know what today is, that's right, new Delta day! Hooray!

Today, we have this lovely Galleria in the "Clown Explosion" swirled celluloid.

Piston filler, carved sterling silver trim. Only a steel nib, but it's a nice writer.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It's a shame celluloid is such a bitch to manufacture, it makes for some pretty pens.

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

grack posted:

how many are you up to now? 50? 60?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

meat glitter posted:

how many are you up to now? 50? 60?

53, and one more in the mail.

I should break 60 by the end of the year

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Why not shoot for 70

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

grack posted:

53, and one more in the mail.

I should break 60 by the end of the year

How many different inks do you have?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

iospace posted:

How many different inks do you have?

No idea, probably a couple dozen. Almost all of the the ink I have came from a member of my local fountain pen club. He was giving away boxes of the stuff because his wife got mad that he kept buying them

Heath posted:

Why not shoot for 70

Doing some watch shopping, so money *might* be going towards something else for a while.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
"Caught blue handed buying another drat pen."

grack posted:

Today, we have this lovely Galleria in the "Clown Explosion" swirled celluloid.

Piston filler, carved sterling silver trim. Only a steel nib, but it's a nice writer.

I haven't cared much for the Deltas you post but chonker swirl poo poo is my thing and this pen is my kind of thing.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

grack posted:

Doing some watch shopping, so money *might* be going towards something else for a while.

same :cool:

any way I could get you to work on my M1000 nib? - needs a little adjustment that i'm too chickenshirt to do myself

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Doctor Dogballs posted:

same :cool:

any way I could get you to work on my M1000 nib? - needs a little adjustment that i'm too chickenshirt to do myself

Absolutely, but I'm in Canada, so keep mailing costs and time in mind. You can PM me.

Edit: Pictured, the finest fountain pen clip ever made.

grack fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 11, 2021

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Got my entirely real Parker 51 Guillor Hero 616, $9.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The word for today is urushi.

Now this one I am big time happy about. I've had my eye on a pen like this for a long time, and with a Sailor nib? Forget about it.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

That's so beautiful. I really want to get one of those urushi pens one day. Do you mind me asking how much you paid for it?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Very nice. I need to get a nice piece of urushi soon, it's been a while.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Sankis posted:

That's so beautiful. I really want to get one of those urushi pens one day. Do you mind me asking how much you paid for it?

Just a hair under $800. It was a treat to commemorate a promotion at work.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

howe_sam posted:

Just a hair under $800. It was a treat to commemorate a promotion at work.

That's actually way less than I thought it'd be. Nice.

edit: not going to any time soon but i can conceive of a reality where i one day buy a $800 pen. anything over $1000 is extremely unlikely though.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Sankis posted:

That's actually way less than I thought it'd be. Nice.

edit: not going to any time soon but i can conceive of a reality where i one day buy a $800 pen. anything over $1000 is extremely unlikely though.

it'll happen, just wait

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

(I have some green ink on the way, but purple for now)

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Thinking about picking up a lamy safari for work...how prone is it to rolling on your desk if you set it down uncapped? I've been doing a lot of "circle thing, set down pen, flip the next sheet in stack, repeat" and I'm finding that my Metro cap doesn't want to stay posted, and the pen just rolls all over the place.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

taiyoko posted:

Thinking about picking up a lamy safari for work...how prone is it to rolling on your desk if you set it down uncapped? I've been doing a lot of "circle thing, set down pen, flip the next sheet in stack, repeat" and I'm finding that my Metro cap doesn't want to stay posted, and the pen just rolls all over the place.

The safari has flat sides which help it stay put unless the desk is really crooked in which case it has enough momentum to just carry on past the flat parts.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Do y'all think a Pilot Falcon (Superfine) can deal with using Platinum carbon ink? I've been wanting to use my falcon for inking drawings that i'd then go over with watercolor. I found that the Noodler waterproof black was not able to withstand a watercolor wash after 24 hours. I've heard that certain fountain pens don't play well with waterproof fountain pen ink, and my falcon is a bit like a child to me.

I'm starting to wonder if it's a fool's errand to try to replace dip pens with a fountain pen for drawing.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Cephas posted:

Do y'all think a Pilot Falcon (Superfine) can deal with using Platinum carbon ink? I've been wanting to use my falcon for inking drawings that i'd then go over with watercolor. I found that the Noodler waterproof black was not able to withstand a watercolor wash after 24 hours. I've heard that certain fountain pens don't play well with waterproof fountain pen ink, and my falcon is a bit like a child to me.

I'm starting to wonder if it's a fool's errand to try to replace dip pens with a fountain pen for drawing.

While that ink has particles in it, it’s a really safe ink. Just give it a good flush out occasionally.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

edit: my mind saw dip pen and pilot Falcon in the same general area and went into panic mode without realizing you weren't even asking about that.

The Falcon should play well with just about any ink you can buy. The ones I'd avoid are any that contain pigment but even then that's probably fine as long as you don't let it dry out. I know the carbon ink is pigment based but its also sold by one of the big three Japanese pen companies so I'm sure it is fine.

Be aware that If you're looking for dip pen sorts of flex you are not going to get it from a Falcon. If you want something approximating a pointed dip pen you'll need to buy vintage (which is a journey in itself) or have a modern pen nib (and feed) worked on.

edit: there's also stuff like this that will fit zebra g nibs but i haven't used one. been eyeing for awhile though.

https://www.ospreypens.com/collections/milano/products/milano-serendip-emerald-with-standard-and-flex-nib-options?variant=31181349027909

Sankis fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 17, 2021

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
Anyone have any tips on fusing acrylic? My PenBBS 268's section is developing a crack. :<

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

try melting it back together I recommend a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Doctor Dogballs posted:

try melting it back together I recommend a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range

They won't let me use the fun lasers at work any more

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Doctor Dogballs posted:

just what you see, pal

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Cephas posted:

For fine line work on watercolors, I use a Fine nibbed TWSBI 580 Rose Gold and so far I could clean it out fine every time plus I had no issues with clogging. Even better, the platinum Carbon ink is dry enough to paint over in a matter if minutes, certainly if applied with an EF nib. However, I find an F nib already hard to work with standard CP textured paper and how does that work for you with an EF?
Sidenote: sometimes I pencil and then ink the carbon ink with a brush and then no matter how long I wait, when I erase the pencil some ink will stick to the eraser but line on the paper remains intact. This should not be the case with an EF I think? Some pen and watercolor work is here: https://catropy.com/2021/03/22/senju-musashi-but/, check out the home page for some brush ink and watercolor.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Keetron posted:

However, I find an F nib already hard to work with standard CP textured paper and how does that work for you with an EF?

I haven't used it a ton for purposes other than sketching and doodling so far, so I can't say I've used it enough on a variety of paper types to notice any particular strengths and weaknesses. I'll have to give the platinum ink a shot and see how I like working with that--I'm a pretty inexperienced artist, so I like that I can take my fountain pen with me anywhere and gain experience with it, compared to an inkwell + gnib or something, where I kind of have to deliberately set time aside to practice.

What kind of issues do you tend to run into?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Cephas posted:

What kind of issues do you tend to run into?
Most fountainpen paper is super smooth and is coated in such a way that (most) inks dry while lying on top of the paper. Watercolor paper is sort of the reverse of that, it is somewhat rough, textured and if you use the higher quality papers, it will absorb fluids as a property. This also means that fountainpen paper is much thinner than watercolor paper, 70~90 gsm vs 220~300 gsm. So apart from almost all FP ink not being waterproof, they will soak into watercolor paper and feather like crazy. Here comes the beauty of Carbon Black by Platinum. As it is pigment (particle) based, it has some unusual properties and can be used just fine on watercolor paper in terms of feathering and you *want* it so soak into the paper as the particles can then bond with the cotton fibers, making it waterproof. I do this all the time with a brush pen filled with platinum carbon ink.

So, the issue is the texture on watercolor paper. Granulation is a prized property of the medium for many and that effect becomes more pronounced on textured paper. An EF nib on a FP will have so many scratchy problems with that texture, it will simply not be nice to use.

This can be resolved by using Hot Press watercolor paper, this is smooth watercolor paper, and combine it with Schmincke ultra fine, Mijello or Daniel Smith (or many other brands) paints, selecting those colors / pigments with low or no granulation as granulating paint on smooth paper looks weird.

Finally, if you want to draw using a FP and you are unsure what paper to use, I have a blog post series on sketchbooks here: https://catropy.com/sketchbook-selections/ and then the rest of the sketchbooks here: https://catropy.com/category/sketchbook-selection/
This details out a variety of journals and sketchbooks that I used with fountain pen, common ink and Platinum Carbon ink. If you want a tldr from those links let me know :-)

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Pen-ists, I need some stationery advice. I'm looking for some bulk dot grid notebooks that are not too much in page count but can lay flat and can take a variety of mediums well. Page numbers optional, I'd prefer to keep things minimal. Essentially, I'll be adding notes regarding dumb elfgame stuff for each game I'm currently running and have it be its own "book of secrets and notes" so it may have things like maps, drawings, tables and other things where a grid would be useful, as well as musings and ideas.

I figure that something a little bit chunkier in page count than Field Notes but something that can lay flat (so Moleskines and perfect-bound stuff like Clairefontaine and Rhodia are out) so I'm thinking a bigger staple-bound notebook or possibly spiral, though I suspect these notebooks will get banged around a lot and generally not well taken care of since they will be kicking around in bags, have all manner of cheeto dust and coffee stains attracted to it, as well as probably stickers and stuff placed into it. A5 is probably the largest I'll want to go.

Any suggestions? The normal writers for that book will likely be a Pilot 912, Pilot G2, or a mechanical pencil and possibly some coloring material like colored pencils for certain pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Maruman makes an A5 wire bound dot gird notebook.

Goulet's staple bound tomoe river notebooks come in dot grid and lay pretty flat (and there's a million other variants on this theme)