Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

It's been a while since I've seen it, but Godzilla 2014 rules, and I still consider it the best of the Legendary films. Cranston is incredibly good in it, but his death is the keystone of the entire story, and the movie works so well precisely because it moves on from him. The whole thing is about dealing with trauma, broken families, nuclear legacy, "the sins of the father"; Cranston abruptly and unexpectedly croaking it works those themes from every direction, and it's emotionally compelling to boot. His palpable absence is a feature, not a bug. The film is way stronger because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay, now make Ford Brody into an actual character.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cranston is very good in it despite his weird hair, and is one of the only human characters in the entire trilogy with something to do. His son however could have been played by a wooden plank, and putting the story into the hands of another stoic generic white dude, with magical special forces plot background, while his girlfriend cries a lot is a very pre-metoo vibe. As far as looking worse in hindsight it's no Jurassic World, but still.

What generally saves the film is Cranston and the Godzilla stuff being done very well. The film really gets what you can do with Godzilla on a $200-million budget and sets the tone for the other movies to iterate on that. Other than that, Cranston dies and it immediately becomes clear that they didn't have an interesting idea after that page in the script.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sodomy Hussein posted:

could have been played by a wooden plank

Board Frody

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What would be the opposite of how it's played?

We are introduced to his character after coming back from deployment. The only time he's really smiling is with his family and then his crazy dad rips him away and day he's flying off to Japan after only being home for a day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFiMuFdS8_M
There is a fuckton of character on display here and people are simply ignoring it.

He learns his dad never let go and is once again back to being nuts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM_ZDI34MI8

Then he finds out all the poo poo his dad was ranting about is actually TRUE and now there is giant MONSTERS in his world. Dude is shell shocked especially with his dad dying in his arms.

Should he be an 80s action star? Or maybe the new crop of superheroes not afraid of anything? Maybe actually watch the movie again instead of repeating YouTubers when saying stuff like, "a wooden plank could play it! hurf durf!" If I and many others could pick up on that after all these years - in my case I haven't seen the movie in forever but his character beats stuck with me - it's on you, the viewer.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

RBX posted:

:rolleyes:

People will defend any amount of poo poo if it even slightly fits with what they like. Scream or Nightmare killing the perceived main character early in the movie is not the same as in a Godzilla movie. I'm not really here to see humans so if I have to see them I would want it to be great actors like Cranston. To then do the opposite just pisses me off. Not even gonna get into that other tired take.

I honestly don't get the difference, they're both monster/killer fodder. Hell, the only reason my uncle took us to scream 2 was for Jada, a good actor, and she didn't make it through the credits. And monster movies have even less of a reason for pathos

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I am not suggesting that 100% original character do not steal Ford Brody is not a font of pathos, I am merely suggesting that we imprison Aaron Taylor Johnson so he can't be in movies anymore

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
That's the thing, if you kept Cranston alive- never mind all the story themes or whatever- just, what would he do? Run around and look at the big monster like everyone else. The entire point is that it's humans running around in the footsteps of gods.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

That's the thing, if you kept Cranston alive- never mind all the story themes or whatever- just, what would he do? Run around and look at the big monster like everyone else. The entire point is that it's humans running around in the footsteps of gods.

Personally I would have him halo drop out of a plane to deactivate a nuclear bomb that he doesn't actually know how to deactivate (because he's a nuclear engineer, and what's more nuclear than a nuke I ask you?).

Or you could just do a story where the humans remain interesting, kaiju movies do it all the time even when they keep it knee-deep in schlock.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I know we all like Nic Cage, but not every character in your movie can be Nic Cage. The Brody character might be shock you out of a stupor if he started yelling about this goddaMN NUCLEAR BOMB that those FOOLS are going to LAUNCH at mY “WIFE N’ CHILD” - but it would very much impact the tone.

Plus, there aren’t really any other characters for him to yell at.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Sounds like those are far more in the former camp of Kaiju films (human issue exploration with monsters) than the latter (monster punching spectacular). Both are good and fine. I don't think that invalidates my position that some kaiju films use the human element almost exclusively to setup monster bits.

I think GvK is way more the latter than the former. I like both kinds, whats the issue here SMG?

The issue is that “monster-punching spectaculars”, as you define them, don’t actually exist. Every movie is about the characters in the movie. There’s no technical limitation preventing filmmakers from making an entire movie purely about an animal that does stuff.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I know we all like Nic Cage, but not every character in your movie can be Nic Cage.
the hell they can't

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

The issue is that “monster-punching spectaculars”, as you define them, don’t actually exist. Every movie is about the characters in the movie. There’s no technical limitation preventing filmmakers from making an entire movie purely about an animal that does stuff.

I mean okay every film is about characters. Some use the human characters as a piece of the narrative in relation the monster, and others use them as a vehicle to move the scenery for the monsters. One of those sorts of stories tends to have more depth than the other to their human characters based on the need of the script/plot/desires of the production.

Your implication seems to be there is only one style of kaiju narrative/plot design and its only a matter of how well they execute the 1/2 of it. I feel like that isn't true and there is a p distinct split in the design of many of these films along those lines, both in terms of purpose and their execution.

Some stories craft deeper characters who are more than just exposition pieces, not all of them do though. I think kaiju films have that definite split, and yes I think the monster punchy spectaculars tend to use their human characters as exposition pieces more than actual drivers of theme or meaning.

If you really want to tell me that GvK spent as much time considering their human characters and what their role/use in the narrative is, as compared to say Shin, I would say you're wrong. One production cared very much about the people and their relation to the story being told and the other just kinda has them around to tell you stuff and get us from point to point.

Mantis42 posted:

what if they cast the rock as brody instead?

There would be a lot more swooning and smoldering intensity.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

what if they cast the rock as brody instead?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I am not suggesting that 100% original character do not steal Ford Brody is not a font of pathos, I am merely suggesting that we imprison Aaron Taylor Johnson so he can't be in movies anymore

I don’t like ATJ particularly but I do think FB is pretty interesting. I think it’s odd that people chalk his motivations up to protecting his family - if that’s what he’s going for, he’s dumb as a rock, and I don’t think there’s any indication of that. He quite deliberately abandons them and puts himself in harms way despite being in no way uniquely suited to anything he’s doing, which he acknowledges

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I think a fun thought exercise is to try to write a kaiju movie treatment with absolutely no human characters. What would that be like? A day in the life with Kong on Skull Island?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I think a fun thought exercise is to try to write a kaiju movie treatment with absolutely no human characters. What would that be like? A day in the life with Kong on Skull Island?

A fake David Attenborough style documentary about kaiju?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Gripweed posted:

A fake David Attenborough style documentary about kaiju?

I like it but it definitely has a human character (the narrator)

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
There's a rockin' concept album worth of imagery in the Hollow Earth stuff. Just do that.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I think it can be true that Cranston died at the correct point at which his character is no longer necessary, but also that ATJ completely failed to fill those shoes

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The narrator is Anguirus.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

It's good but Frank Grillo's new joint calls his character "Roy Pulver" and that is in that league, to me.

I know the thread is moving on but never forget that Michael Fassbender's character in The Snowman is named Harry Hole.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Ford is reserved and quiet as a direct and intentional response to Cranston's expressive, superlative anger. You can read the nuance and the history pretty clearly. Cranston becoming increasingly erratic and even more distant over his guilt for sending his wife into the reactor, Ford being driven instead into intense repression as a reaction to his father's toxic coping mechanisms, both characters' isolation and alienation feeding into the other's. Ford's lifelong attempt to "not be like Dad" and move on from their shared trauma led him to embrace Duty instead of personal obsession, but he very notably went for EOD, and he's very notably cut off from his own family, because, just like his father, he never successfully dealt with the issue. He just buried it, aggressively and deliberately over-corrected, and then ended up in the same place regardless. Cranston lives in the past, which is why Ford refuses to even (consciously) acknowledge it until literally forced to by giant monsters, at which point he's confronted with the exact same choice Cranston faced in the reactor: choosing the greater good over the personal.

Cranston turning out to be right doesn't change the fact that he's pathological. His obsession with "unraveling the conspiracy" absolutely has more to do with his intense guilt than any actual certitude that something wicked is afoot. Cranston even plays him as kind of surprised that there's something going on after all. Ford's character, and ATJ's performance, are directly informed by their relationship, and Ford's ambivalent feelings about his father's legacy--Cranston turning out to be both crazy and right, their reconciliation coming about through a re-enactment of his mother's death, in the same place, Cranston only realizing the actual value of family at the exact moment Ford has to grapple with his failures--drive that inner conflict, because he's attempting to resolve some fairly compelling contradictions. That's his arc, and it's an interesting one backed by a solid performance. It's just that you have to actually engage with the character instead of waiting for blunt force exposition about his motivations. That's not a block of wood. That's a very well-written protagonist dealing with the fundamental themes of the film. Which is also why the MUTOs are a corrupt mating pair whose destructive habits of communication and perverse approach to the family unit are the antagonists. Ford's inability to talk to the parents of the kid he saved on the train is also worth looking at.

ATJ is (correctly) playing Ford as a character in a family drama, not an action movie. The character is thoughtful and subdued, but it's not some "stoic high-testosterone OORAH MARINES" thing, it's because he's a deeply conflicted, fundamentally sensitive person. Finding him flat isn't a fault of the writing or the performance, which are both excellent; it's a failure to do a basic reading of the film.

Also, his name is dope.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

OK, a fake documentary showing a Kaiju rampage entirely through news footage but the audio is replaced with a score by Phillip Glass.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Some stories craft deeper characters who are more than just exposition pieces, not all of them do though. I think kaiju films have that definite split, and yes I think the monster punchy spectaculars tend to use their human characters as exposition pieces more than actual drivers of theme or meaning.

So why is nearly every character in GvKong mourning a dead relative? Rhetorical question.

You’re preoccupied with this notion of “depth”, when there is no such thing.

Destroy All Monsters, for example, is primarily about the character Kyoko and her seduction by a group of all-female(!) technologist aliens trying to domesticate Godzilla. Even before the aliens arrive, the protagonist is joking about how Kyoko - who is, herself, a scientist - is going to feminize the poor animal. This is some wild psychosexual material, even though it’s arguably the most basic plot of any of these films.

Remove that context, and you have a bunch of dinosaurs wandering around.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
So I read the Godzilla vs Kong Novelization to see how it compared to the movie and if anything left vague in the film was explained in the book. It takes 32 pages before the novelization gets to the events of the movie itself, characters who didn't receive much backstory in the movie get it here in spades, and some of the plot elements poorly explained in the film are more explicitly spelled out here.

I'm not going to go over absolutely everything, but here are the aspects of the novelization I found most interesting:

Alan Jonah
Apex CEO Walter Simmons is approached by a "dangerous man" (who is unnamed, but almost definitely Alan Jonah from KotM). The man says he has two Ghidorah heads for Simmons (curious where he got the second one), and that he’s selling them to fund some mysterious endeavor.

Lind’s Backstory
Dr. Nathan Lind and his brother Dave prepare for Dave’s departure in an experimental aircraft to the Hollow Earth. Nathan thinks the storm around Skull Island has made the flight path to the Hollow Earth Vortex too dangerous and that he’d rather they postpone and use the Hollow Earth Vortex in Antarctica instead, but the press has already been invited to cover the launch of the expedition and Dave is afraid that Monarch is looking for an excuse to pull funding. The launch goes through and Dave successfully makes it to the Vortex, but nearly immediately after making it through Dave’s ship is destroyed.

From what I understand, this was originally intended to be the opening scene of the movie.

Jia’s Backstory
On Skull Island, Jia becomes the last of the native islanders after the others are killed by flooding and ravenous monsters caused by the encroaching storm (the storm is later said to be the creation of a Titan called Camazotz, and that Monarch’s activities in trying to open a gateway to Hollow Earth caused it to awaken and draw the storm inland; I believe this is in reference to the upcoming prequel graphic novel Kingdom Kong). Kong is implied to sense a prayer to him made by Jia, causing the wandering Titan to find and save her.

Apex and Monarch
The biggest difference from the movie, surprisingly, is Bernie. Whereas in the movie all we know about the guy is that he’s a conspiracy theorist with a podcast who is undercover at Apex and has a late wife named Sara, the one section of the novelization told from his point of view reveals a massive amount of surprising backstory, including the revelation that Monarch commissioned Apex to create the Oxygen Destroyer used in KotM.

First off, Sara worked for Apex even before the events of Godzilla 2014. After Godzilla and the MUTOs became common knowledge she started to talk about them a lot, which Bernie thought was just some new hobby. Eventually, though, Sara quit her job at Apex and died in a car accident less than a week later. Weeks after her death, Bernie started going through her things and found a note reading:

"Godzilla>Apex>Monarch Contract>shipping manifest>component for bomb."

Bernie applied for a job at Apex the next day and started the Titan Truth Podcast. Following the events of Godzilla: King of the Monsters, a number of Monarch operatives contacted him and revealed that the “bomb” Sara had mentioned in her note was the Oxygen Destroyer, which Monarch had contracted Apex to help create before attempting to bury the connection between Apex and Monarch (later in the book a Monarch engineer mentions to Dr. Lind that when the Titans began to break free during the events of King of the Monsters “termination protocols” were put into effect, but that they failed due to the Titans’ resilience being underestimated). It's also noted that all Apex facilities have a Monarch facility nearby.

In the scene in the movie where Bernie, Madison, and Josh talk, Bernie originally had this line: “Lost her in a car accident. Happened a week after she left her job…at Apex Industries.” There’s also a scene that takes place midway through the maglev train’s passage from Pensacola to Hong Kong where Madison says she wants to record what Apex is doing to send to Monarch only for Bernie to get into a brief argument with her, claiming that Monarch has Apex do its dirty work and that the people in charge of Monarch likely know everything Apex is up to.

The point at which Bernie is introduced is the only time things are narrated from his perspective, but I can't help but wonder now how many of his weirder claims are things he actually believes and how much are just attempts to get people to underestimate him. After all, one of the first times he starts ranting about conspiracy-related nonsense is to drive a fellow Apex employee away so that he can steal information from a computer. Even his approaching Madison’s father at the end of the movie for his podcast could hypothetically be an attempt to infiltrate Monarch, too, seeing as he believes Apex answers to Monarch.

There’s also other evidence of Apex and Monarch working together. It’s stated that the Apex facility in Pensacola was tipped-off that Godzilla might arrive by allies within Monarch, Monarch Director Guillerman (Lance Reddick’s character who was largely cut from the movie because all his scenes are talking to Kyle Chandler’s Mark Russell) okays the joint Apex/Monarch mission to Hollow Earth and shares with Mark that the purpose is to obtain an energy source for Apex to use in a weapon against Godzilla. Mark is immediately suspicious and asks Guillerman what kind of weapon Apex is making, but Guillerman claims not to know. This is despite Mark identifying that a signal similar to an ORCA device, albeit modified to resemble a distorted version of Ghidorah's own signal, emitted from the Pensacola Apex facility, and when Godzilla approaches Hong Kong speculates that Apex may be using a similar signal to lure Godzilla there. When Mechagodzilla is finally revealed, Guillerman also seems more curious than anything about Mechagodzilla, eager to see what Simmons’ creation can do.

Ren
Like in the movie, Ren Serizawa barely gets any dialog. However, we’re given a view into his inner thoughts. He hates his father for abandoning his family and ultimately sacrificing his life for Godzilla, a giant monster that has killed thousands. Dr. Serizawa’s “let them fight” quote was apparently reported by the media, which Ren interpreted as the words of a man who didn’t care how many human lives were lost in battles between Titans. Ren also has a negative opinion of Walter Simmons, thinking the Apex CEO is a short-sighted egomaniac that will one day die and be long forgotten. Ren wants to subjugate or destroy the Titans for the sake of humanity, even if no one knows he was responsible, believing such an action will change human history for the better.

When Mechagodzilla goes rogue, it’s stated that the consciousness created "did not know who it was, or what it was". It invades and destroys Ren’s consciousness, and when Madison initially has the idea of going to the room where she had seen the pilot earlier discovers that it was destroyed when Mechagodzilla escaped the facility, no trace of the Ghidorah skull or the pilot anywhere.

Godzilla and the Mysterious Energy
Whereas how Jia knows about Godzilla is never explained in the movie, one scene in the novelization features Jia recognizing images of Godzilla as a “Zo-zla-halawa”, a species worshipped by enemies of her ancestors and the Kongs. The Zo-zla-halawa were said to have “eaten stars” and gained their power from them.

Godzilla is specifically stated to generate and emit in the form of his ray the mysterious “quantum” energy of Hollow Earth. Though he can absorb and transform “conventionally understood” radiation into this energy, it is emphasized (in italics, even) that the energy used in his breath weapon doesn’t resemble the particles and waves discharged by fission or fusion reaction.

So, yeah, MonsterVerse Godzilla apparently has a "quantum ray" instead of an atomic one.

Finally, the novelization clarifies that when the data is transferred by Maia Simmons to Apex Headquarters that the data sent is not just the energy signature, but Godzilla DNA. What is being pumped into Mechagodzilla to power it are synthesized cells responsible for generating this unknown energy, with the cells being described as resembling “carbon snowflakes”.

Ghidorah
The entryway to Hollow Earth in Antarctica is very close, only a few miles away, to where Ghidorah was frozen in ice. Dr. Lind explains to Maia Simmons that, at his former level of clearance in Monarch, he only knew about the Hollow Earth entrance, but not Ghidorah. He also claims that no one knows why Ghidorah was near the entrance, if it had been attempting to enter the Hollow Earth or if it had emerged. Further, the ice around Ghidorah showed evidence of having been both quickly melted and refrozen.

This could be nothing, but it is mentioned that Mark Russell is skeptical that King Ghidorah was actually an alien, seeing as next-to-nothing is known about the evolution of any of the Titans.

The Other Titans
Godzilla ordered them all to find places to rest. A few resisted, with Godzilla fighting Scylla in Savannah, Georgia, as the latter creature had been attracted by the atomic weapon buried in the mud off the coast. He also helped Behemoth defeat another Titan called Amhuluk in the Amazon. In both case the defeated Titans were not slain, but submitted and went to go into hibernation as Godzilla commanded. A terrorist group also attempted to capture Kraken using stolen Monarch equipment, but Godzilla freed the fellow Titan while Monarch sent air support to attack the terrorists' base.

Madison
Surprisingly, the fact that Madison is the daughter of the woman who unleashed King Ghidorah and the other Titans is common knowledge (I’d figure they’d try to cover that up, but oh well). She hates being around most other people her own age and often skips school. While her father Mark wants the rest of her youth to be normal and doesn’t want anything happening to the last member of his family, Madison resents his overprotectiveness. At one point she even thinks to herself that if it wasn’t for her stealing the ORCA the world might have been destroyed.

Madison primarily listens to the Titan Truth Podcast for information about Apex and the Titans, but doesn't believe about half of it. Before deciding to try and find Bernie she contacts various members of Monarch she knows, but no one is willing to help her defy her father. When she and her friend Josh do meet Bernie and he asks if she drinks tap water or not she replies she doesn’t not because that’s actually true, but because she thinks that’s what Bernie wants to hear. She does have a negative opinion of the “Mothra Pregnant?” episode of Bernie’s podcast (as someone who was present when Mothra was born) and lets him know about it during the trip from Pensacola to Hong Kong.

I had heard that Zhang Zhiyi's Dr. Chen character was supposed to appear in the movie and hoped she'd make an appearance, but no such luck other than maybe two or three references to her. I'd also heard that there were originally more scenes in Hollow Earth depicting various ruins, but these don't make an appearance in the novelization, either.

Hexmage-SA fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 10, 2021

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Gripweed posted:

OK, a fake documentary showing a Kaiju rampage entirely through news footage but the audio is replaced with a score by Phillip Glass.

You can do this right now with Cloverfield and some basic editing skills, although of course you have to cut any human characterization scenes.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Thanks for all of this, really really appreciate you typing it out. Fills in a lot of holes and i think these added elements would have made the movie more enjoyable for me.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I'm thinking about grabbing the novelization at some point, the prose is actually pretty well done and the passage describing Godzilla the star eater was pretty thrilling.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

You can do this right now with Cloverfield and some basic editing skills, although of course you have to cut any human characterization scenes.

my favorite Youtube channel, lofi hip hop kaiju footage to relax/study to

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

That book sounds really good but I also understand why everything couldn't make it in.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Hexmage-SA posted:

When Mechagodzilla goes rogue, it’s stated that the consciousness created "did not know who it was, or what it was". It invades and destroys Ren’s consciousness, and when Madison initially has the idea of going to the room where she had seen the pilot earlier discovers that it was destroyed when Mechagodzilla escaped the facility, no trace of the Ghidorah skull or the pilot anywhere.

Goddamn, I originally thought this was where they were going with it (or even that it was Ren's consciousness animating McG)] but when I double-checked, in the actual movie all you get is a scene where the computer readout says "pilot disconnected", implying that the consciousness animating MechaG has nothing to do with Ren.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 10, 2021

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

ATJ is (correctly) playing Ford as a character in a family drama, not an action movie. The character is thoughtful and subdued, but it's not some "stoic high-testosterone OORAH MARINES" thing, it's because he's a deeply conflicted, fundamentally sensitive person. Finding him flat isn't a fault of the writing or the performance, which are both excellent; it's a failure to do a basic reading of the film.

Also, his name is dope.

Well said, I completely agree. I was surprised at how well his character was handled when I first saw the film, and then surprised again at the negative reception it got from nerds. It’s funny too to compare his focused, disciplined performance in G14 with him in Avengers 2, where he really does come across as a complete non-entity.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Well, guess I now want to read the novel.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

G14 is easily the high point of this series in terms of quality. ATJ did a great job playing someone who could conceivably be a real person.

not every character in your movie can be Nic Cage.

we haven't tried yet

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
There's a lot of dumb poo poo in this movie but I watched it last night and loving loved it.

The whole Millie Bobby Brown plot could have been axed. I love how everyone just automatically knows how to operate everything, where everything is and always winds up in the exact right place. The worst for me was the kid dumping a drink on the computer and then near the end, after this huge titan fight that was like 1000 9/11's, the cast all reunite and find each other in the smoldering ruins of Tokyo.

There's have been dead bodies and piles of steel and concrete loving everywhere.

I didn't mind the hollow earth and actually thought it was pretty cool (except for the sun) and I liked the little girl even though I expected to hate her. The main thing that rolled my eyes were all the coincidences.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The dude playing ford brody was perfect for no other reason that he sells the moment when godzilla notices him as subdued as possible. Someone else would have tried to like, look on in terror or some poo poo but ford is looking at god and he is giving due reverence

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I know we all like Nic Cage, but not every character in your movie can be Nic Cage.

SMG I know you’ve seen Face/Off

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Have you tried driving up to Nic Cage's house with a dump truck full of money?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Have you tried driving up to Nic Cage's house with a dump truck full of money?

Honestly, with all his irs issues, it can just be a Kia soul full of money at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Cross posting from IIMM thread:

So...the entire city is flattened and 20 minutes later everyone is just milling about like it was a minor gas leak or something. Kong and Godzilla eviscerated over half the entire loving city and Dad just wanders right into the epicenter and finds his daughter in one of the most densely populated places in the world.

You didn't even need the Dad and the whole time I wondered wtf he was doing there other than "remember this dude from last time?" You don't need any of that poo poo except for the security guy with the USB drive who uncovers everything. And that loving MBB sidekick dude just sucked.

Quick question: how did Godzilla know about what APEX was doing? Because of the Gidhorah skull? The energy mining? I guess both?

Also, I was skeptical about Mechagodzilla but holy poo poo he loving owned. Him just beating the ever loving christ out of Godzilla was totally amazing

Totally loved this movie though. The fights were insane but also the emotion and expression they managed to give to Kong was really great. Godzilla too for that matter. I was really afraid Kong was going to drown (even though obviously I knew he wouldn't) and I loved when he reached the ship, got some air and spit all that water out all over the deck. I'll watch it again knowing now the 15 or 20 minutes of poo poo I can just fast forward thru.

Minor complaint: the gently caress did Kong EAT? I saw him chow down on a monster head or two but what are they feeding him on the 72 hour boat ride? Motherfucker that big is gonna need way more food than I saw him eat. What do they feed him the bio dome? I was doing laundry and missed a few scenes so maybe it was addressed. And wouldn't he have to take a poo poo on that boat at some point? I guess he can move enough to squat over the side? Obviously during the helicopter ride this is less of an issue.

Unless your an unlucky penguin or polar bear.