Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
No need to apologize to Fran anymore, he is utterly powerless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

Like Fran said, it's not a good faith argument it's just bait to get angry nerds going on the internet.

I hate this because it’s like, yeah it makes me angry. But then they point and go “hah you fell for it because you’re an angry nerd!”

I just hate devils advocate assholes so much. If you’re not being sincere I don’t think you deserve the time of day.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

It's worth mentioning that after 1000 people told her that was a stupid take and that she's wrong, she immediately pivoted to "Wow film twitter is so joyless and angry, how dare I, a woman, disagree with the doctrine".

Blue checkmarks gonna blue checkmark.

Lmao lurd i love you to death but you are the very definition of blue check mark twitter

Anyway ive been getting electroconvulsive therapy recently so tonight im gonna watch SHOCKER since ive had it on DVD forever and never got around to it

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Oh man I wish I could watch Shocker for the first time again

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

No need to apologize to Fran anymore, he is utterly powerless

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

:negative:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kvlt! posted:

Lmao lurd i love you to death but you are the very definition of blue check mark twitter

If I had a blue check mark people would actually care about my bad takes instead of just ignoring me.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I forget where the thread landed on Eight Legged Freaks but I just caught it and that poo poo is good. It was way less "2002" than I was assuming, and had some really nice plotting and characters. A ton of fun and strikes just about the right tonal balance for a horror comedy, surprisingly so for that era.

Also the new episode of Creepshow is fun. Not as good as the premiere but the season is shaping up to be a nice cheapie Tales from the Crypt.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

feedmyleg posted:

I forget where the thread landed on Eight Legged Freaks but I just caught it and that poo poo is good. It was way less "2002" than I was assuming, and had some really nice plotting and characters. A ton of fun and strikes just about the right tonal balance for a horror comedy, surprisingly so for that era.

This is basically how I feel too. Not only is it a fun film in a vacuum, as a horror comedy from the early 2000s it's a miracle it holds up as well as it does.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I think there's a problem where a lot of people who maybe aren't fans of the horror genre are very keen to define it in terms of content instead of function. I remember arguing with a friend who said that horror had to be about the supernatural, and me listing countless horror films with no supernatural element failed to dissuade him of that notion. I think he just had an image in his head of what horror was (ghosts, vampires, werewolves) and when something didn't conform to that then it "wasn't horror", like a genre definition was just a list of elements and not how the art actually operates. It was a bad take that led to arguing that The Texas Chainsaw Massacre wasn't horror but the Patrick Swayze film Ghost was.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 9, 2021

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

isn't there some john carpenter quote about horror being a feeling, not a genre

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Karloff posted:

the Patrick Swayze film Ghost was [horror].

Maybe a more interesting lens to view that film through tbh

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Irony.or.Death posted:

Oh man I wish I could watch Shocker for the first time again

Never seen this one...gonna watch it tonight.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I think I remember shocker's soundtrack more than the movie, even though the movie was good

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

When I rewatched Shocker after Wes Craven died it was way better than I remembered. Really fun.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There aren't a lot of horror comedies that are genuinely horror; Shocker is one of 'em. Shocker rules.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I remember not liking Shocker very much but I only saw it once like a decade ago so I should probably give it another chance

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Horror does tend to take on weird and often really narrow definitions in people's minds based on what they grew up with and how much they've engaged with the genre. For instance, a lot of people I grew up with in the mid-80's and early 90's understood horror to be a bunch of teenagers getting chopped up by a killer; to them horror = slasher. And naturally not everyone enjoys slashers so I had some friends who just decided in like 1990 that they didn't like horror, and to this day if you ask them if they want to watch a horror movie their answer will make it clear that they still don't understand that there's more to the genre than just Jason Voorhees and Michael Myers.

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese

found some info on shocker thanks to google

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Rate my Severin order

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
The only one of those I’ve seen is Saint Bernard, but it owns

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Did someone say Food of the Gods 2?

https://youtu.be/8HZJWMN7WbA

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

Rate my Severin order

"Byleth: Demon of Incest" is a strange new lens to attach to Fire Emblem: Three Houses, but okay...

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

explain ur nerd joke nerd

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I want to like the Conjuring/Annabelle series but everyone seems to get away just fine for the most part and there's always too much going on and too much cgi.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Currently debating whether or not to start watching the Insidious series right now or hold off for next month. I’ve seen the first one but barely remember it and haven’t seen 2-4.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Well, I just watched Dr Sleep. It was mildly entertaining and perfectly inoffensive right until the end, which was an anti-climax and a half. The ghosts were not scary in the least, Rosie the Hat (who had held the film together until that point) dies in a really lame way, and the way Dan suddenly becomes his dad felt really unearned. And, as many have said, it just made you wish that you were watching the real The Shining instead of a bunch of weak, badly directed cosplay.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

So House By the Cemetary and The New York Ripper.. worth a blind buy? It’s been years since I’ve seen Cemetary so it’s pretty much a blind buy.

I’m prepping for may

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
New York Ripper is pretty nasty, but good. It's like Lucio Fulci's Angst, starring Donald Duck.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

dorium posted:

So House By the Cemetary and The New York Ripper.. worth a blind buy? It’s been years since I’ve seen Cemetary so it’s pretty much a blind buy.

I’m prepping for may

If you enjoy sleazy Italian horror, then it's a resounding yes on both counts.

I own that New York Ripper release and it's the best looking UHD I've seen so far. It's just incredible.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

:spooky: Week 15 Bracketology Streams! :spooky:
:rip: Only on the CineD Discord :rip:

All times are in EST and may not reflect reality.

Saturday, April 10th

1900 Black Sunday
2035 I Sell The Dead

Monday, April 12th

1900 Teke Teke
TBA The Pit and the Pendulum

Content Warnings

Black Sunday
Moderate violence and gore

I Sell The Dead (2008)
Contains strong language and gory horror

Teke Teke
???

The Pit And The Pendulum
Contains moderate violence and horror

:spooky: Sunday Chill Stream :spooky:

All times are in EST, and may not matter.

0900 The Boys in the Band
1110 Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead
1305 The Seventh Victim
1425 Dog Day Afternoon
1640 Kenneth Anger's Scorpio Rising
1655 The Toxic Avenger
1830 Tromeo and Juliet
2035 Dead Man
2245 Raw
0030 Kuso

Content Warnings

The Boys In The Band
very strong language, strong sex references, discrimination, drug misuse

Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead
Contains one use of strong language and moderate drug and sex references

The Seventh Victim (1943)
Contains suicide references and moderate violence and threat

Dog Day Afternoon
Moderate violence and gore

Scorpio Rising
Moderate sex, nudity, violence, and gore.

The Toxic Avenger
Contains strong language and violence

Tromeo and Juliet
Strong sexuality, violence/gore, language and some drug content

Dead Man
moments of strong violence, a graphic sex scene and some language

Raw (2016)
strong gory images, injury detail

Kuso
Unrated

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 10, 2021

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

Did someone say Food of the Gods 2?

https://youtu.be/8HZJWMN7WbA

Yeah buddy

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

King Vidiot posted:

New York Ripper is pretty nasty, but good. It's like Lucio Fulci's Angst, starring Donald Duck.

Spatulater bro! posted:

If you enjoy sleazy Italian horror, then it's a resounding yes on both counts.

I own that New York Ripper release and it's the best looking UHD I've seen so far. It's just incredible.

Sweet, ordered both. Next I’m looking for Hammer stuff.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Kuso definitely has some nudity including a mostly visible penis loving a sentient gaping neck wound.

There’s so much crazy strange poo poo going on though that it’s hard to remember what else might need mentioning.

Has anyone started “Them” yet? It’s IMDB score is 5.4 but every episode is 7.5 or higher which makes me think it might just be getting drive by down voted by racists.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

TheBizzness posted:

Kuso definitely has some nudity including a mostly visible penis loving a sentient gaping neck wound.

There’s so much crazy strange poo poo going on though that it’s hard to remember what else might need mentioning.

Has anyone started “Them” yet? It’s IMDB score is 5.4 but every episode is 7.5 or higher which makes me think it might just be getting drive by down voted by racists.

Nah some of the reviews have been pretty negative. Lot of black pain television comments and it all feeling unearned and ham fisted. Being “made for Twitter” in regards to it being one of those shows that gets instantly meme’d and clipped on Twitter.

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/08/984614649/them-the-trauma-the-trauma

quote:

Them is also drowning in terror and trauma, and little else. And that trauma and terror are so horrific, several episodes begin with content warnings of graphic violence. I'm not one who believes every piece of art depicting awful events needs such disclosure, but in this case, the producers made the correct choice; there are scenes involving Black pain and suffering so mortifying, I can imagine many viewers not being able to finish watching it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I thought they made a Tv show of the French movie Ils lmao

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

alf_pogs posted:

just finished Kairo (or Pulse). definitely liked it a lot but what a bleak, melancholy film. a lot of anticipation and dread and very little in the way of big resolution.
It’s a pretty huge resolution, just in favor of the ghosts.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Ending of The Power is loving weak

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Yea I’m just gunna stay away from Them.

https://twitter.com/yayforzig/status/1380608353295028228?s=21

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Darthemed posted:

It’s a pretty huge resolution, just in favor of the ghosts.

yeah i guess that's true. sad times for humanity on their boats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

In the past two weeks (maybe 3?) I've watched 5 Blackwell Ghost movies and 3 Fear Footage movies. I also got to kick back and watch Sam & Mattie Make a Zombie Movie, which is the feel good horror doc of the year.

Edit: Ah yeah I also watched Paranormal Activity in a live stream with Oren Peli and Micah Sloat. That was a good time. I found out they made demon footprints with a yoda glove.