Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bogus Adventure posted:

It's good...

From a certain point of view...

:smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I was all ready to post that I like how Boba Fett and Boba Frick have the same first name and it helps star wars feel more alive and then I remembered that things name is Babu Frick.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Barudak posted:

I was all ready to post that I like how Boba Fett and Boba Frick have the same first name and it helps star wars feel more alive and then I remembered that things name is Babu Frick.

Yeah, but Babu Frick is the ancestor of Babu Bhatt.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I am honestly good with leaving prequeldome to lie fallow for a bit (or maybe a long while, idk). I just thought a D+ Star Wars TV thread would be a good idea.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 30, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bogus Adventure posted:

Let's leave Cine_D shenanigans in Cine_D

I enjoy this subforum because it is a chill posting place. There also seems to be a general agreement that what you like is subjective, so people are going to disagree on what is good and what isn't. For the most part, I feel like those disagreements generate funny shitposts (like thinking up video game and rpg rules to fix the sequels, and posting Gungan cheesecake images).

Oh, which reminds me... I come bringing a gift from the GBS Suez Canal photoshop thread:

There's no sign of intelligent lifeforms, that one's dummy thicc

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Has anyone read Light of the Jedi? New High Republic poo poo. I was just notified it's available from my library to check out digitally.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3udI6VTNQR8

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More evidence as to why the Sequel Trilogy is dumb and bad.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

a thread for people who like both prequels and sequels: EQUALDOME

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
squeakqueldome

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

alvindome

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
How about DomeDome?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

josh04 posted:

a thread for people who like both prequels and sequels: EQUALDOME

No, the forum for those people is called the Toxic Waste Dump.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

josh04 posted:

alvindome

Alvin II: The Squeaqueldome

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

What would have happened if Anakin had just chucked his lightsaber at Obi-Wan like a spear. Like just hoofed it center-mass right at his chest using the Force?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The plot demands that Obi-Wan end up with that lightsaber, so he probably just would've caught it.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

What would have happened if Anakin had just chucked his lightsaber at Obi-Wan like a spear. Like just hoofed it center-mass right at his chest using the Force?

Star Wars has this weird thing where you use the force as hard as you can to cancel out your opponent who is using the force as hard as he can to strangle you with his mind because otherwise there is no reason for anyone to actually swordfight ever it's first one to resort to force choke wins.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'd assume that if you try tossing your lightsaber, even if you keep a force-grip on it in the air, it'd be a whole lot easier for your opponent to either grab it out of the air or nudge it off its trajectory, and then you lost your dang lightsaber. Not that Anakin's idea of just jumping to take the higher ground worked.

reignofevil posted:

Star Wars has this weird thing where you use the force as hard as you can to cancel out your opponent who is using the force as hard as he can to strangle you with his mind because otherwise there is no reason for anyone to actually swordfight ever it's first one to resort to force choke wins.

There's also a whole thing throughout all the Lucas's work on Star Wars where it's actually pretty light on all the magic, despite all the magic being the thing that so many people latch onto.

You could probably count the supernatural things in the original trilogy on your fingers. In the prequels it's a little more unclear because there's a lot of implications that the fully-trained jedi actively have heightened perception/reflexes/speed because of the force, but when you get down to direct things, you have a few lightsaber force grabs, some super jumps, two lightning shooters, and Yoda's still the only Jedi that lifts heavy things.

It seems plausible that maybe somebody strong in the force would just be harder to manipulate with the force and there's a hard limit on the number of things Anakin actually knows how to do against Obi-Wan.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yoda's still the only Jedi that lifts heavy things.

In the EU Luke pulls a space ship out of Yavin

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

In the EU, Luke got his Mommy Milky from a hot redhead rather than a sexy space seal.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bogus Adventure posted:

In the EU, Luke got his Mommy Milky from a hot redhead rather than a sexy space seal.

Again, I like to think that Luke and Mara hooked up in the new canon as well, and her dumping him was a big part of the reason he went to go hide and sulk on Ahch To with the fish nuns.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Again, I like to think that Luke and Mara hooked up in the new canon as well, and her dumping him was a big part of the reason he went to go hide and sulk on Ahch To with the fish nuns.

That could hint at the existence of a Ben Skywalker, or maybe his child is named Bail or Qi'ra in the Disneyverse.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Someone made a 14" statue of Jar Jar with a huge dick just hangin out and selling it as a fundraiser for amazon workers in Chicago.

Below is the link to the tweet

https://twitter.com/NotDickWarlock/status/1380721277900623874

And an image if you don't do the tweets.

Do you see what the prequels hath wrought?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

In hindsight, it would have been cool if Luke named his son Biggs.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

CainFortea posted:

Someone made a 14" statue of Jar Jar with a huge dick just hangin out and selling it as a fundraiser for amazon workers in Chicago.

That's one bombad boner

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Okay, I've got another joke:

He's just a simple Hungan looking for some Nabooty

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

CainFortea posted:

this thread should have stayed as sequeldome

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

CainFortea posted:

the sculptor should have cut off Jarjar's eyestalks and mounted them behind his veiny cock so he could have scrotum vision

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

x-post

So uh, someone on reddit dropped some supposed bts gossip. Take it with a silo of salt, if we start seeing leaks and people gossiping about what happened behind the scenes then there might be some truth to this stuff.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starwarssp...utm_name=iossmf

quote:

I worked on the sequel trilogy for its entire run. From The Force Awakens to The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker. The world has changed, as has my position in the roots of this tree. In the next coming days...weeks...months...there will be a several leaks due to shakeups at Lucasfilm. Leaks have become a part of the culture of the company. I wanted to set some matters straight before that occurred. Who am I? Does it matter? There's nothing I could provide to convince everyone who I was without doxxing myself. Something I'm not particular open to doing. Take this as gospel or with a grain of salt.

Regarding Lucasfilm

There has never been a cultural civil war at Lucasfilm.

Nevertheless, a disagreement on what direction to take the franchise has always been a recurring problem.

Certain members of the Lucasfilm story group, Pablo, desired to see Star Wars resemble a D&D campaign. More aesthetic, less narrative.

Others, Favreau and Filoni, are pushing/pushed for a more traditional approach.

There isn't some war between Kathy and Favreau. They are on rather pleasant terms. Kathy seems to want him to take over once she retires/is promoted.

Favreau may or may not take the position.

Filoni isn't interested nor is he even remotely qualified to run a film studio. He's much happier working on his own stories.

Regarding The Sequel Trilogy

Each sequel trilogy director prioritized their scripts differently. Johnson was intoxicated with the themes. Trevorrow had been infatuated with the spectacle. And Abrams favored the concepts.

As to be expected, this led to very different approaches to the sequels, some Lucasfilm fancied, others...not as much. Rey, being the biggest disagreement.

Abrams initially had hoped to work with George. That didn't work out. When George walked, JJ had almost attempted the same. Iger stopped him.

Lucasfilm saw the sequels as the departure from the old way into a new era. Initially, they had fuddled around with Rey being the granddaughter of Obi-Wan, before settling on no one.

Abrams wanted Rey to be the granddaughter of Anakin, eventually pushing for her to be Luke's daughter he had with a fellow rebel after the war.

The backstory to how Rey was left on Jakku changed several times. Luke left her with Lor San Tekka, who had once been a force user as well, in one draft. Another draft Kylo left her there as an act of compassion (This concept made it into the final draft of DOTF and the 1st draft of TROS).

Abrams had seen Kylo as a tragic villain and wanted to tell a dark what-if story to the redemption of Vader. Ben Solo would have always been redeemed, but only through death.

Finn had likewise been a subject of controversy. Abrams wanted John Boyega to play Finn. Alan Horn, as well as additional Disney Producers, saw that as a further risk. Horn pushing for an "Ansel Elgort" type.

Finn being a Jedi was also something Disney producers thought was "Too much" if John Boyega was cast. Abrams was forced to water down that subplot in TFA.

Horn was the most vocal against a romance between Finn and Rey. "Risk" factor playing a big part.

Abrams would eventually ask to set up a romance between Poe and Finn when Disney requested him to not go forward with Finn and Rey, which had been refused as well.

Lucasfilm asked Abrams to set up a romance between Poe and Rey, Abrams refused.

To sum it up,Abrams was not on the same page with TPTB.

Rian was far more helpful with Lucasfilm. Working with them instead of against them.

Frankly, this turned out to be a mistake for Rian due to Lucasfilm being indecisive (obviously).

Stories were always being changed.

Abrams had pushed for a more traditional ending to the trilogy, Luke Skywalker living past the end of the sequels, instructing a new generation and his offspring.

Lucasfilm wanted Star Wars to move passed the Skywalkers - pushing for them to be retired.

Rian was less concerned with the beginning or ending, rather what he could do with his chapter. Lucasfilm gave him creative control. Just as long as he took their notes.

Rian's film had gone under re-shoots as well. Some changes. Examples: Crait being moved to the ending. Holdo going from a Senator to Rebel. Less romantic undertones between Rey and Kylo.

Colin, unfortunately, was left to pick up the remains of the comprised Abrams chapter and Rian's self-contained chapter. After many rewrites of the DOTF script, Colin and Lucasfilm parted ways.

Jack Thorne wrote an additional draft to IX. It was deemed unusable as well.

There was only one ending where Kylo lived. It was pitched after Colin's departure and before Abrams returned. (The script went nowhere.)

Enter the return of Abrams, as well as the same conflicts from 2014 - 2015.

Abrams had pitched a two-part film. Part one to cover the aftermath of TLJ and establish his narrative. Part 2 as the closure. (Disney said no, clearly).

The Rise of Skywalker was a mess of different rewrites.

The plot details for TROS provided to Jedipaxis was not the original story of the film. Rather just one of the many rewrites that script had undergone.

The earliest completed script for IX under Abrams and Terrio had ended up a hybrid of TROS and DOTF. One of the working titles for this script had been named "Heirs to the Force".

Rose had a key role in saving the day by altering a communication jammer the First Order used to keep the galaxy in the dark. This message spread across the galaxy would have been Leia's call for help from TLJ.

Rey had learned she was Vader's granddaughter and reconciled her past with Luke.Finn had staged a stormtrooper rebellion after finding a long-lost sibling.

Poe was made the leader of the Resistance while Hux would have been made Grand Marshall of the First Order as kylo's right hand man.

Kylo would have sought to reform the galaxy, but found peace in the end and passed on.

This story was scrapped before/during principal photography. Some stayed in. Some was changed during film.

Disney and Lucasfilm disagreed with Abrams finale. Felt that it needed a villain with a bigger audience presence than Kylo or Hux. Expressing regret that Snoke had been killed off, but not wanting to bring him back.

Abrams had faith that Adam Driver and Domhnall Gleeson would be more than enough and that both men would turn in a grand performance. Disney did not want to hear it. They pushed Palpatine onto Kathy who was forced to push him onto Abrams.

Abrams played ball with Palpatine yet every week on production there were new notes from Disney or Lucasfilm. Eventually, Abrams shot two movies. His vision and Disney/Lucasfilm's. I'll give you a guess on which one got a theatrical release...it wasn't the one with Matt Smith.

The cast was disappointed in the end. Boyega and Driver feeling the most robbed due to the story changes. They had been excited to film scenes together for the first sine since TFA.

I feel for Kelly Marie Tran and Naomi Ackie. It's hard enough for woman of color in the industry. Getting their scenes cut wasn't something Abrams or Kathy wanted.

Some closing comments:

Is there a JJ cut? Still perplexed on why everyone is calling it a "JJ Cut". Calling it "Abrams Cut" seems more traditional.

The answer is: Yes and no.

There is an assembly cut of what Abrams filmed before re-shoots took place, it resembles his original vision. It needs some work and likely some re-shoots. Only a lunatic would attempt to fund it though.

Is there a Lucas cut? No. Abrams had gone to Lucas, like he had gone to all the other directors, and got their input on IX. That's it. Lucas did not ghost direct IX. He gave his input on the initial script Abrams and Terrio worked on.

Differences between the theatrical and Abrams cut of TROS?

Matt Smith, for one.

The runtime would be close to 4 hours.

Palpatine's role constantly changed. From dark spirit to possession to eventually rescued zombie clone. Original role was just a cameo for the fans as it was in DOTF.

Ray's parents had been Luke and a "force archaeologist" who found Anakin's lightsaber after the events of the OT but before the ST. We never learn her name in this story.

Kylo and Rey's relationship was more tragic. Rey wanting to put him out of his misery and Kylo wanting to be free.

There was a scene of of Kylo saving goodbye to Leia. Giving closure to mother and son.

Jannah had been Finn's sister (I'm told this is still on the table for future stories). They were separated when they were kidnapped. Their last names were once Galfridian.

Much of Rose's subplot was dedicated to figuring out how to outsmart the First Order.

Rose and Jannah had a third act subplot of converting the jammer into the beacon to alert the galaxy for the final battle. They become close.

Pryde originally sold out the First Order to the Resistance. The oldest of the old guard tired of following children. Hux and Kylo work together to find out who the spy is by leaking false information. Hux kills Pryde.

Courscant was a key world for conflict between the First Order and Resistance.

Several flashbacks to Luke's life before the sequels. Luke had been looking for Mortis through Ahch-To.

Luke and Kylo would have a proper duel on Mortis. This scene was based off their confrontation in DOTF.

There were hints to Poe's romantic interest in Finn, yet in the end, he gives his blessings to Finn and Rey.

Poe would end up convincing bounty hunter Zorii to aide the fight with her fellow bounty hunters. The two become mutually interested in the other.

Final battle for the Resistance takes place over a giant docking bay with the First Order fleet on Courscant.

Finn leads the assault to the beacon that will call the cavalry with Rose and Jannah. He would have been wielding a green lightsaber. Unknown if it was Luke's lightsaber or an Abrams Deus ex Machina.

The message to the galaxy is Leia's call to help from The Last Jedi that BB-8 recorded.

Sith Troopers are actually clones mixed with Phasma's DNA.

Finn leads a stormtrooper rebellion of normal stormtroopers vs Sith stormtroopers.

Rey offers Kylo her hand for redemption. A parallel/contrast to his offering in TLJ. Kylo rejects it. He thanks her for caring.

Rey and Kylo have their final battle. Knights of Ren would help. Finn arrives to fight them and Kylo with Rey.

Knights of Ren would be killed. Kylo accept his defeat and return to the light as he dies.

Ben would have appeared as a force ghost with his mother and made amends to Rey silently.

Anakin's force ghost would have appeared with the younger force ghosts of Luke and Leia to say goodbye forever.

The Resistance gang would have celebrated on Tatooine at the Lars homestead. Finn and Rey watching the sunrise hand in hand with Jannah, Rose, Poe, Zorii, Chewie, and the droids.

Is the Abrams cut better?

It's a more coherent story than the theatrical release, but its also filled with a lot of Abrams quality writing. If you don't like JJ Abrams films. This wouldn't make you a fan of Abrams or IX. Lucasfilm had thought it leaned to heavily on the "Fan Service".

Will the Abrams cut ever actually get released?

Not sure. Heard some talks about it, but Bob Chapek has had his hands full and is rather cheap. I also don't see a high fan campaign for this ever happening like the Snyder Cut.

My final thoughts

Personally, I favored Colin's ending chapter with DOTF more. IMHO he got Star Wars the best. (Should have given him the trilogy.) But that's just my own personal 2 cents.

They'll be more leaks coming. Maybe from me. Maybe not. I can't provide much personal info without putting my self at risk. Take this however you want. I'm attempting to get this out for the sake of the truth. MTFBWY

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Filthy Hans posted:

the sculptor should have cut off Jarjar's eyestalks and mounted them behind his veiny cock so he could have scrotum vision

Also a goon now owns that statue. They did a joke bid and no one out bid them.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
what was the DOTF story supposed to be

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a number of movies that manage to squeeze through that kind of horrible confused chaotic development and come out shining on the other end, but if none of the creative staff or executives really got along much or even had remotely similar creative visions, I'm not sure how anything could've come together in the end. The Hobbit trilogy was less of a mess planning-wise.

Certainly sounds like the main reason they would be uncomfortable about pairing Finn and Rey is racism. And if they were constantly thinking about making her Luke's daughter, that makes all the weird romantic tension between her and Kyle a lot more weird. I generally don't care much about the romance side of stories, but if they wanted to include romance, they really needed to decide on what kind of romance they wanted to do, and they never did. Just like how they couldn't decide on a lot of plot points.

Making Holdo a Senator would've been great for contextualizing the new Rebellion's place in the galaxy, but I'm still not clear on why Leia gave up politics and went into becoming a more directly military figure. As it stands, the Rebellion has probably too many top military leaders in the Last Jedi between Leia, Holdo, and Akbar.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

indigi posted:

what was the DOTF story supposed to be

Kylo Ren and the First Order enact a communications blackout across the entire galaxy to further the spread of the First Order. The Resistance discovers that some piece of ancient Jedi tech on Coruscant can act as a beacon and overcome the blackout, allowing the scattered Resistance cells to co-ordinate, but the First Order has made Coruscant its new capital, so getting in there is near impossible. Meanwhile, Kylo is pissed that Luke rope-a-doped him and Rey told him to gently caress off at the end of The Last Jedi so he goes looking for more Sith artifacts to make himself even more powerful. He finds an old holocron from Palpatine in Vader's castle on Mustafar where Palpy's like "Yo, Vader, if you're seeing this it means I'm probably 100% actually dead and not coming back in any way possible, if that's the case, go take Luke to see this guy called Tor Valum, he's a Sith monster who taught me and Darth Plageius everything we knew. That'll get him really jazzed on the dark side. K, bye." and the holocron explodes in Kylo's face and burtally scars him, because even from beyond the grave our boy Sheev is a massive asswipe. All the while Luke is there taunting Kylo as a Force Ghost like he promised to at the end of TLJ. Luke also tells Rey about Kylo's plans because he's been continuing to teach her Jedi poo poo as a ghost.

Rey and Poe go off to hunt Kylo down and kill him, and Finn and Rose head to Coruscant to turn on the beacon. Rey and Poe have a one night stand because... I don't know, their only interaction across three movies up to this point is saying hello to each other. She then mind tricks him and goes off to face Kylo alone. Rose gets captured by Hux and Finn winds up alone in the lower levels of Coruscant. Finn inspires a Stormtrooper and general public uprising, and Rose manages to escape in the chaos and hack all the First Order Star Destroyers in orbit to spin around hyperspace jump directly into Coruscant's sun, wiping out their capital fleet. They turn on the Jedi beacon and broadcast Leia's message to Obi-Wan from A New Hope to the galaxy because nostalgia. Everyone across the galaxy rises up and takes out the rest of the First Order off screen. Hux kills himself with Mace Windu's lightsaber because it turns out he was actually a Jedi weeb this whole time.

Rey and Kylo fight and he tells her that he killed her parents. He also blinds her with his lightsaber and she has to do some cool Force Sense poo poo to try and beat him, but it's not enough. He begins to drain her life force from her like Palpy does in Rise of Skywalker, but is interrupted by Leia reaching out to him through the Force. She's like "come on, Ben, it's the end of the last movie. Stop being evil." and he's like "...Okay." Leia then dies, having blasted her son with a bunch of Redemption Energy, and Ben uses all his life force to revive Rey, heal her eyes, and then tell her with his dying breath that her name is actually Rey Solana. Rey's like "Cool, I guess," and leaves with Force Ghost Luke and Poe.

The epilogue shows Rey opening up a new "Something Other Than The Jedi, Because The Jedi Actually Kinda Sucked" Academy with new students including the Broom Kid from the end of TLJ, and she's together with Finn (who is indeed a Jedi in this version) and Poe and Rose and Luke and Leia and everyone's happy. I think Lando had a cameo in there somewhere too, but whatever ROLL THE CREDITS!

And that's Duel of the Fates.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 12, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
that could have been fun

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Someone made a fan comic out of the leaked script

http://awinegarner.squarespace.com/duel-of-the-fates

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AdmiralViscen posted:

Someone made a fan comic out of the leaked script

http://awinegarner.squarespace.com/duel-of-the-fates

That's pretty neat. I'd been wondering for a while how long it would take before the leaked script got the comic treatment like Lucas's old first draft of A New Hope did a few years back.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

McCloud posted:

x-post

So uh, someone on reddit dropped some supposed bts gossip. Take it with a silo of salt, if we start seeing leaks and people gossiping about what happened behind the scenes then there might be some truth to this stuff.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starwarssp...utm_name=iossmf

This is real fanficcy and doesn't really line up with other verifiable information about the movie. Some stuff, like Jannah being Finn's sister, is mentioned in published BTS stuff, but there's huge chunks of it that ignore existing concept art from the early versions of the movie, and stuff that the film's editors have said about the extent of reshoots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Robot Style posted:

This is real fanficcy and doesn't really line up with other verifiable information about the movie. Some stuff, like Jannah being Finn's sister, is mentioned in published BTS stuff, but there's huge chunks of it that ignore existing concept art from the early versions of the movie, and stuff that the film's editors have said about the extent of reshoots.

The whole thing reads like a Weird Star Wars Twitter wish list letter to Santa.