Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The plot thickens:

https://twitter.com/PhilDeathClock/status/1380672059269767169

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

That's technically correct.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Deleted

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I've not been the biggest fan of past [character spoiler] Entre P. Neur episodes, but I found Scott's outright hostility this episode was very entertaining.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
I watched the wedding coach with gabrus and he did a great job corralling the problem friend. I really really hope gabrus gets his big break soon because how can anyone that talented not have something. They need to stop getting celebrities to host game shows and get some actually funny people to do it.

Jeopardy with gabrus!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Listen to some Action Boyz to really gain more appreciation for Gay Bruce.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Gabrus is a brilliant comic, but I think he's the thing holding himself back. As a human being the dude seems kind and empathetic and progressive... but as a performer he seems like a guy who is always going to push things into uncomfortable territory no matter the circumstances.

On a recent Man Dog Pod they made a (loving?) throwaway joke about him that cemented in my mind that no matter how much you might like Gabrus as a person, being around someone who has made a brand out of saying problematic poo poo is not a vibe that other performers are going to want to engage with if given the choice.

I hope the dude finds acting success, but I can't blame anyone for saying, "Yeah, maybe we don't need someone who is going to try to get edgy about race and gender on stage tonight, even if it's satirical..."

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

jeeves posted:

Listen to some Action Boyz to really gain more appreciation for Gay Bruce.

lol that u think im not already

feedmyleg posted:

Gabrus is a brilliant comic, but I think he's the thing holding himself back. As a human being the dude seems kind and empathetic and progressive... but as a performer he seems like a guy who is always going to push things into uncomfortable territory no matter the circumstances.

On a recent Man Dog Pod they made a (loving?) throwaway joke about him that cemented in my mind that no matter how much you might like Gabrus as a person, being around someone who has made a brand out of saying problematic poo poo is not a vibe that other performers are going to want to engage with if given the choice.

I hope the dude finds acting success, but I can't blame anyone for saying, "Yeah, maybe we don't need someone who is going to try to get edgy about race and gender on stage tonight, even if it's satirical..."

and yet they keep eagarly inviting him on podcasts or giving him his own podcasts seemingly as his leisure. weird!

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

feedmyleg posted:

What was the throwaway joke?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Waterbed Wendy posted:

and yet they keep eagarly inviting him on podcasts or giving him his own podcasts seemingly as his leisure. weird!

And yet the question was not why he isn't a popular podcaster, but why he couldn't break beyond being a prolific podcaster like other people he works with who don't have that as their shtick. Weird!

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

And yet the question was not why he isn't a popular podcaster, but why he couldn't break beyond being a prolific podcaster like other people he works with who don't have that as their shtick. Weird!

Sorry if you thought I was being rude towards you. I was really just trying to comment on how all of his more famous friends invite him on their podcasts or shows, or go on his, or start a podcast with him and how they wouldn't do it if they thought it would hurt their career, so he's clearly not that toxic to employ.

And, following that thought, and coupling it with the fact that he has entertained me every week for at least the last five years, I wish he could get a break finally.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

tbh I feel like the easier answer is just that it's really loving hard to be even a middle-class working actor and you have to get extremely lucky in a variety of distinct and different ways

i think of like, Rhea Seehorn, who is the clear breakout star of Better Call Saul and spent two decades before that bouncing around random roles

eke out fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 13, 2021

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

eke out posted:

tbh I feel like the easier answer is just that it's really loving hard to be even a middle-class working actor and you have to get extremely lucky in a variety of distinct and different ways

i think of like, Rhea Seehorn, who is the clear breakout star of Better Call Saul and spent two decades before that bouncing around random roles

Absolutely. It really is this.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Yeah there are so many actors that would kill to have the career Gabrus already has. It's a brutal business.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

That might be the first disappointing Carl Tart appearance, still it's a drat good record. I can't wait till they're back to doing it all in a studio again, it's missing that spark I think.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

How dare you. He would fight for you.

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy
ciao

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Frankly, that was a tremendous episode. Love that Trump, though I think Scott is wrong, didn't Anthony Atamanuik do Trump back in 2015 or 16?

I have to admit, that also took me longer than it should have to realize Original Fig was PFT.

Also thought that it was a rare episode where all guests worked together well in the final segment without one getting left out.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

JAJ is really great and I appreciate his instincts to keep trump 100% away from any obvious political jokes and lean into the really weird premises like moving to nashville lol

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

Frankly, that was a tremendous episode. Love that Trump, though I think Scott is wrong, didn't Anthony Atamanuik do Trump back in 2015 or 16?

yes, when he and Adomian were doing their Bernie vs. Trump tour

just looked it up, it was episode 399

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Breadallelogram posted:

yes, when he and Adomian were doing their Bernie vs. Trump tour

just looked it up, it was episode 399

Speaking of Adomian I really miss him on the show. I was thinking the other day about regulars that haven't been on for a while I wish were back, Adomian, Brendon Small ( I miss Tiny and Vic), Amy Poehler who hasn't been on forever but always got the vibe of the show are a few. Any others that people miss?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

When I listened today I assumed Original Fig was doing a Baltimore accent, because it's a fantastic Baltimore accent. Then I remembered that PFT is from Philly so it's probably technically a Philly accent. But this just illustrates that the Philly and Baltimore accent are nearly identical.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Did PFT manage to sneak in a Ree-See Pee-See in there?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

GoutPatrol posted:

I believe that's how he pronounces it.

(That infuriates me, in general.)

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I just thought he was doing a Jon Daly impression

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

GoutPatrol posted:

I think my favorite of these is when he said it as Mike the Janitor when Jason Mantzoukas was on, and Jason goes "haven't we talked about this before?" and PFT responds in character "we haven't". They had talked about it on a live episode is HDTGM I think a couple of months earlier.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Just Chamber posted:

Speaking of Adomian I really miss him on the show. I was thinking the other day about regulars that haven't been on for a while I wish were back, Adomian, Brendon Small ( I miss Tiny and Vic), Amy Poehler who hasn't been on forever but always got the vibe of the show are a few. Any others that people miss?

Adomian's the big one for sure, since he was a huge part of what made early CBB good. I'd be happy if Gelman and Heidecker came back too though.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Let's not forget Jerry Minor

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Sinteres posted:

Adomian's the big one for sure, since he was a huge part of what made early CBB good. I'd be happy if Gelman and Heidecker came back too though.

Tim was on not too long ago. I remember he just got up and left after his first segment was done.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

tawnee + her dad is legitimately one of the funniest hollywood handbooks in a while

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is there any kind of story or drama behind why Adomian hasn't been on the show in forever, or has he just been busy? He was basically PFT-levels of recurring guest for a while there, it's weird that he would just vanish.

I tried googling it and a 2-year old reddit thread suggests that it's because he decided not to do any more unpaid podcast appearances, but then other people in the comments were saying that CBB does pay now, so it might be something else? But also all these people are just random strangers on reddit so who knows if they really know anything.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is there any kind of story or drama behind why Adomian hasn't been on the show in forever, or has he just been busy? He was basically PFT-levels of recurring guest for a while there, it's weird that he would just vanish.

I tried googling it and a 2-year old reddit thread suggests that it's because he decided not to do any more unpaid podcast appearances, but then other people in the comments were saying that CBB does pay now, so it might be something else? But also all these people are just random strangers on reddit so who knows if they really know anything.

I hadn't heard that CBB pays now, but there was definitely some bitterness from Adomian that he did a bunch of unpaid appearances and never really got a big career boost from the exposure. FWIW he was probably the guest who most frequently declined the opportunity to plug anything or just flat out stayed in character during plugs, and my impression from interacting with him on twitter is that he's a massive dick, but given what an important component of the early years of the show I think he was, it does suck that he has bad feelings about the whole thing and doesn't think he got much out of it.

Living in New York presumably has something to do with it too though, since pre-pandemic that would have been a big barrier to appearing very often. It's also very possible that Scott got mad at him for being vocal about his bad feelings about being part of the show too.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Adomian has popped up on live recordings at festivals here and there so it's not like he's on the outs with that crowd.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I don't know why he's not on the show now, but the reason he suddenly stopped doing it was definitely just that he moved to New York.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Plus I imagine comedians just end up sometimes doing different things, I dont really know what he's up to atm but it might just be that he's put the improv to the side to focus on other aspects of comedy. But it's a shame because I really loved him on the podcast.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/JAdomian/status/826149361872564224

https://twitter.com/JAdomian/status/1076018745544339456

and apparently earwolf started paying guests sometime in 2018

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wonder how much they pay

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hopefully it covers the Uber to and from the studio

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

If ya'll want more Adomian and missed PFT's old Dead Author's Podcast, check check it out –>

https://thedeadauthorspodcast.libsyn.com/chapter-28-walt-whitman-featuring-james-adomian

Andy Daly also guests on it regularly and is likewise spectacular.

https://thedeadauthorspodcast.libsyn.com/chapter-45-part-1-l-ron-hubbard-featuring-andrew-daly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah those L Ron Hubbard episodes of Dead Authors are in contention for best comedy podcast episodes ever. That and Kiss Me I'm Patrick McMahon.