Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Ffycchi posted:

Aw that's sad. I enjoyed the cheeky sekrit website for SA members.

At least you get to enjoy your special SA only plan for as long as you want, retired or not :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I have a question that I may have asked years ago but I can't remember.

I host a lot of sites through squarespace and buy domains through you... but I have to get a minimal hosting plan just to get access to the DNS to setup the settings correctly. I don't have to do this with GoDaddy. You get the DNS settings with the domain reg.

Am I just doing something wrong or dumb? I don't want to use GoDaddy!

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
There’s no (technical) reason you have to use your domain registrar’s DNS. You should be able to update NS records to point to Cloudflare or Digital Ocean or some other free DNS provider if it turns out lithium requires a hosting plan.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

BonoMan posted:

I have a question that I may have asked years ago but I can't remember.

I host a lot of sites through squarespace and buy domains through you... but I have to get a minimal hosting plan just to get access to the DNS to setup the settings correctly. I don't have to do this with GoDaddy. You get the DNS settings with the domain reg.

Am I just doing something wrong or dumb? I don't want to use GoDaddy!

If you just need DNS hosting, you can find a free DNS host or use AWS Route66 or even CloudFlare.
We don't offer DNS hosting without a web hosting plan though.

Pedialyte
Jul 27, 2003

"With the breakdown of the Medieval system, the gods of Chaos, Lunacy, and Bad Taste gained ascendancy." Ignatius was writing in one of his Big Chief tablets.
Hoping this is the thread that makes the most sense for this issue.

I am having some significant email forwarding issues with my work Rackspace email account. I have been forwarding from Rackspace to Gmail but discovered recently I am only getting roughly 75% of my emails through to Gmail. Rackspace says it is Gmail's fault but I cannot find any solution through their support either. Ultimately I am thinking I should switch away from forwarding through the Rackspace webmail to my Gmail account and switch to POP3 retrieval. Does this make sense? I will lose out on the immediacy of the forwarded emails and have to wait for them to be retrieved but at least I will get them all.

Also, I have about 36k emails in my work Rackspace account that have been previously forwarded and I can see in Gmail. If I turn on POP3 for that same account will it duplicate those 36k emails in Gmail or is it smart enough to know it was already forwarded and present in the current Gmail inbox? If that is not a good solution - any other ideas? Ultimately I just want to have both work and personal emails in my Gmail account. Thank you for any guidance here.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

RACKSPACE MORE LIKE POOP SPACE

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
you mention work account, is there some kind of DLP scanning messages and preventing you from forwarding anything containing certain keywords or phone numbers or PII

Pedialyte
Jul 27, 2003

"With the breakdown of the Medieval system, the gods of Chaos, Lunacy, and Bad Taste gained ascendancy." Ignatius was writing in one of his Big Chief tablets.

Biowarfare posted:

you mention work account, is there some kind of DLP scanning messages and preventing you from forwarding anything containing certain keywords or phone numbers or PII

Not that I am aware of. My company is simply saying that Rackspace email forwarding is getting rejected by Gmail due to Gmail's security settings which detect some forwards as spoofing. I am not confident they know much about the technical details... Their solutions is just not to forward to Google/Gmail or other webmail service. I do notice that email applications coming from Indeed.com are rarely forwarded as of a couple months ago - but with that said I have had an email from a staff member's Gmail to my work email directly not get forwarded so it is hard to determine what could be the trigger. I have whitelisted all indeed and even gmail domains in Rackspace but that only seems to prevent them from being sent to spam.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Rewriting_Scheme

you're probably trying to send from rackspace with a fake from: of gmail.com [due to the forwarding], and gmail.com knows you are absolutely not gmail.com for certain

Pedialyte
Jul 27, 2003

Biowarfare posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Rewriting_Scheme

you're probably trying to send from rackspace with a fake from: of gmail.com [due to the forwarding], and gmail.com knows you are absolutely not gmail.com for certain

That makes sense, ok. So I could use POP3 retrieval in Gmail to pull the email in that way (SMTP sending through Gmail has always worked fine as far as I know). Is it known if that will lead me to have 36k in duplicate emails though due to most of them already being forwarded to this Gmail account over the last 10 years? If not and it only pulls in emails that were not previously forwarded that would be a fine solution and would fix this issue going forward right?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Do you buy a domain name, and the get your SSL cert or the other way around?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Boba Pearl posted:

Do you buy a domain name, and the get your SSL cert or the other way around?

Domain name purchase comes first. In order to get an SSL cert you'll have to prove ownership of the domain, which can be done a few different ways such as putting in a certain DNS entry or hosting a specific txt file they give you. I use AWS for my domains & DNS, and Lets Encrypt for SSL certificates. You can mix and match who you do business with for these things, meaning you could buy the domain from one company, use a different company as the DNS provider, and use yet a third company for SSL certificate.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Pedialyte posted:

That makes sense, ok. So I could use POP3 retrieval in Gmail to pull the email in that way (SMTP sending through Gmail has always worked fine as far as I know). Is it known if that will lead me to have 36k in duplicate emails though due to most of them already being forwarded to this Gmail account over the last 10 years? If not and it only pulls in emails that were not previously forwarded that would be a fine solution and would fix this issue going forward right?

What’s your ultimate goal here? Just use gmail web client?

Pedialyte
Jul 27, 2003

jaegerx posted:

What’s your ultimate goal here? Just use gmail web client?

Yeah exactly. I want to have all my work emails in my Gmail instead of just getting 75% of them like I have been.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Pedialyte posted:

Yeah exactly. I want to have all my work emails in my Gmail instead of just getting 75% of them like I have been.

First, does your work know you want to do this? Cause it's probably illegal.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

The solution you're looking for is to merge 2 imap accounts but i'm not helping something i consider probably really bad, gmail reads all your emails and you're sending your work email there.

Pedialyte
Jul 27, 2003

jaegerx posted:

First, does your work know you want to do this? Cause it's probably illegal.

They know, our helpdesk was helping me try to troubleshoot this before we got to this point and they didn't know what to try next. At this point I am just wondering if turning on POP3 retrieval is going to lead to me having thousands of duplicate emails in my Gmail account.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Does anyone have a recommendation for an email provider like Fastmail but cheaper or with more flexible packages?

I have about 50 mailboxes for hosting clients on Fastmail currently. The basic package is cheap but only 2gb, and if I have to bump a user up to the next level the price doubles and suddenly I am making a loss unless I renegotiate with the client.

I have always kind of swallowed the cost because outsourcing everything email-related saves a lot of pain, but my annual Fastmail bill is now my biggest business expense by a fair bit...

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

fuf posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for an email provider like Fastmail but cheaper or with more flexible packages?

I have about 50 mailboxes for hosting clients on Fastmail currently. The basic package is cheap but only 2gb, and if I have to bump a user up to the next level the price doubles and suddenly I am making a loss unless I renegotiate with the client.

I have always kind of swallowed the cost because outsourcing everything email-related saves a lot of pain, but my annual Fastmail bill is now my biggest business expense by a fair bit...

What’s the use case?

Would Gmail be better for your domains/clients?

Edit: also maybe fast mail would negotiate a discount or a service dump with you to not lose you as a client.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 24, 2021

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

CarForumPoster posted:

What’s the use case?

Would Gmail be better for your domains/clients?

Edit: also maybe fast mail would negotiate a discount or a service dump with you to not lose you as a client.

100% Gmail with a business account is the best thing pretty much ever. Except for support. But then...it's Gmail. You don't ever need support. It works.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Thanks guys, Gmail is great and I actually have an old G Suite Legacy account that I use for a few users. But it looks like Google Workspace is the same price for every user?

My issue is that I have some clients who ask for mailboxes and they sit around for years using about 50mb of space, and other users who would happily fill a 100gb quota. Ideally I want to be able to put them on different packages.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Hey, I want to use this LCARS template for a website, what's my best bet for hosting it? I can't quite get it to play right with Blogger and Wordpress wants $96 a year for custom CSS access. It would just be a personal blog.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
how tefchnical are you re : github pages, netlify, etc

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Biowarfare posted:

how tefchnical are you re : github pages, netlify, etc

basically Not A All. I can edit the HTML template to add in the content I want to display, but anything more complex than that i need my hand held. i kind of want to e-mail the template author and ask if he's got a doc for easily converting to a blogger interface but i don't want to bother him with my Chump Questions

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

basically Not A All. I can edit the HTML template to add in the content I want to display, but anything more complex than that i need my hand held. i kind of want to e-mail the template author and ask if he's got a doc for easily converting to a blogger interface but i don't want to bother him with my Chump Questions

I'm pretty sure he'd be fine with it.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

My company makes small websites for various clients. (Some static, some LAMP, some .NET Core)

Our current 'DevOps' is to clone a CentOS LAMP AWS EC2 instance that we've made, then we SSH into it, and then we:

- Manually edit the Apache config file for the given subdomain and SSL cert files.
- Manually structure the mariadb tables
- Manually sftp upload the html/js/php files.
- Hope to God we remember to manually upload files to this web server for every Git push we make...
- Repeat the process for staging/production.
- When it's time to 'deploy' from staging to production, we delete the previous 'production' EC2 instance, clone the existing 'staging' EC2 instance, and point our 'production' IP address to the new clone.

This sucks. I would love to have "continuous deployment', meaning faster and easier server creation, and most importantly, synchronization of Git pushes to files on the webservers. For example, the html/js/jpg/php files on the 'staging' server would automatically receive any updates that are pushed to the 'staging' branch of our Git repo.

Digital Ocean's new 'Apps' feature seems to do this, and it even gives you an automatic SSL cert (if you allow DO to manage your DNS). However, we can not use DO, because:

- Their 'Apps' feature does not support self-hosted Gitlab repos
- Our biggest clients insist on AWS

AWS seems to offer like four products that 'might' server our needs, but it's all confusing as poo poo. Elastic Beanstalk, CodeCommit, and Amplify all seem to offer pieces of what we need.

Should we:

- Use one of the above AWS services, OR
- Add a Git hook that calls a PHP script on our webservers, which in turn pulls our changed html/php/jpg files from Git, OR
- Learn to use Docker (And then figure out how to integrate our Docker images with Git. Like, does the entire Docker image go under Git source control, or do we like install Git *inside* the Docker image, and have the Docker image only pull changes from our html/php/jpg files...)

:tif:

Captain Pike fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 13, 2021

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Captain Pike posted:

My company makes small websites for various clients. (Some static, some LAMP, some .NET Core)

Our current 'DevOps' is to clone a CentOS LAMP AWS EC2 instance that we've made, then we SSH into it, and then we:

- Manually edit the Apache config file for the given subdomain and SSL cert files.
- Manually structure the mariadb tables
- Manually sftp upload the html/js/php files.
- Hope to God we remember to manually upload files to this web server for every Git push we make...
- Repeat the process for staging/production.
- When it's time to 'deploy' from staging to production, we delete the previous 'production' EC2 instance, clone the existing 'staging' EC2 instance, and point our 'production' IP address to the new clone.

This sucks. I would love to have "continuous deployment', meaning faster and easier server creation, and most importantly, synchronization of Git pushes to files on the webservers. For example, the html/js/jpg/php files on the 'staging' server would automatically receive any updates that are pushed to the 'staging' branch of our Git repo.

Digital Ocean's new 'Apps' feature seems to do this, and it even gives you an automatic SSL cert (if you allow DO to manage your DNS). However, we can not use DO, because:

- Their 'Apps' feature does not support self-hosted Gitlab repos
- Our biggest clients insist on AWS

AWS seems to offer like four products that 'might' server our needs, but it's all confusing as poo poo. Elastic Beanstalk, CodeCommit, and Amplify all seem to offer pieces of what we need.

Should we:

- Use one of the above AWS services, OR
- Add a Git hook that calls a PHP script on our webservers, which in turn pulls our changed html/php/jpg files from Git, OR
- Learn to use Docker (And then figure out how to integrate our Docker images with Git. Like, does the entire Docker image go under Git source control, or do we like install Git *inside* the Docker image, and have the Docker image only pull changes from our html/php/jpg files...)

:tif:

You should learn to use docker anyways. It's super useful.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved
Learn Ansible. Save yourself the headache that comes from configuration drifts when editing by hand.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there a good cheap basic static site host, something I can just deploy to from a github action? Just something I can throw a few dollars at so I don't burn through the github pages bandwidth limits if something spikes.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

MikeJF posted:

Is there a good cheap basic static site host, something I can just deploy to from a github action? Just something I can throw a few dollars at so I don't burn through the github pages bandwidth limits if something spikes.

Have you tried Netlify yet?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

What's the deal with the free sites offered on the mailchimp dashboard?

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Digital Ocean's 'Apps' automatically pulls from Github repos, and is inexpensive: https://www.digitalocean.com/products/app-platform/

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
We have about 2tb of photos for work that we'd like to archive somewhere more stable than some random hard drives. It doesn't need to be publicly available immediately, but long term we'll eventually be putting all this content online somewhere in some sort of gallery. Is our best bet to fire up an S3 bucket? Based on my calculations that'd be about $50 per month, does that sound right?

Edit: Thinking about it more, we could probably just upload everything to something like SmugMug, since we want to be able to sell copies of these photos eventually anyway. I think they have 'unlimited' storage, so it might end up being cheaper than S3.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Wasabi is s3-compatible for $5/tb if you plan on keeping it long term

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I have always installed SSL certificates by just using the LetsEncrypt plugin for cPanel, which works fine but requires the domain's DNS to already be pointing at the server.

But now I need to get an SSL certificate installed before changing the DNS, and I am stuck. I know you can use a CNAME for the LetsEncrypt authentication, but I can't see anywhere in the LetsEncrypt plugin a way to just get the CNAME values so I can add the record manually to the external DNS. The plugin tries to create the CNAME records locally which doesn't work because the domain isn't pointing to the server yet.

Does any of that make sense and is there a way to do what I'm trying to do? I only have access to cPanel on the destination server, no lower level access really.

What's the normal procedure for installing an SSL certificate so that it's ready to go before changing the domain's A Record to point to the server?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
can you add a TXT record or upload a file to http://whatever

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I don't have any access to the old hosting so can't upload a file.

I can add a txt record to the domain but I don't know what to put in it...

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
You can run certbot from any machine you want. Use options certonly, standalone, and for challenge type pick DNS. [--preferred-challenges dns]

It will print out a "please add the TXT record xxxx with value yyyy". Do this, wait a few minutes because cpanel dns is slow as poo poo, then type y and hit enter

It will dump your freshly minted certificates (private, public key, chain) into whatever folder you specified. Upload those to enable SSL . I don't know if cpanel even lets you upload your own cert files.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Thanks man. Yeah I'm not sure if cpanel would have let me just upload the cert files.

Luckily they just went ahead and switched the DNS without telling me so I could just do it the old way lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Biowarfare posted:

You can run certbot from any machine you want. Use options certonly, standalone, and for challenge type pick DNS. [--preferred-challenges dns]

It will print out a "please add the TXT record xxxx with value yyyy". Do this, wait a few minutes because cpanel dns is slow as poo poo, then type y and hit enter

It will dump your freshly minted certificates (private, public key, chain) into whatever folder you specified. Upload those to enable SSL . I don't know if cpanel even lets you upload your own cert files.

Fwiw, this lets you get a wildcard certificate that can then be used for any subdomain of that. It’s how I do it for my stuff