Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I would have said that wasn't possible.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That should be the new standard for videos of sharp knives.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

goddamn

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

That’s either an extremely sharp knife or she’s going to smush the gently caress of that avocado trying to cut through the pit.

Idgi

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

nwin posted:

That’s either an extremely sharp knife or she’s going to smush the gently caress of that avocado trying to cut through the pit.

Idgi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjfWnopENVw

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Lmao

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Man I dunno how to feel because every time I see "____'s worst ____!" shows it actually is just a bunch of really stupid people who are more than likely lovely at everything in their whole life and not just cooking/driving/etc. I would be really interested if it was someone who was functioning at a normal level in every aspect of their life except for the one thing but I can't believe it's the case.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i don’t watch it and have no interest in it but i did think the avocado but someone posted was pretty wild.

at least some of the contestants have teamed up and gone on to start stuff like food trucks so who knows

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

my spouse is smart as hell. she's in school now to get her masters to become a nurse practitioner. she also left a pot of boiling water on so long all the water evaporated and the pot got ruined. she has zero interest in being in the kitchen and that's fine by me lol. im sure there are plenty of people who are otherwise fairly smart but are all thumbs in the kitchen

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

True, though I do think there's hope for everyone.

I, once upon a time, used a bread machine and forgot to add water. You would be justified in thinking I had no place in a kitchen, but I turned out okay. It was delicious smelling toasted flour though!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BrianBoitano posted:

True, though I do think there's hope for everyone.

I, once upon a time, used a bread machine and forgot to add water. You would be justified in thinking I had no place in a kitchen, but I turned out okay. It was delicious smelling toasted flour though!

I did this at the bakery I used to work at. While a beat reporter for the paper was there. 16 minutes to have no dough come out of the mixer. :suicide:

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Those Worst Cooks shows feature a whole heck of a lot of out of work actors that show up in commercials and other weird reality shows. Most of them are very obviously faking being clueless for the camera and that's fine. It's fun.

My Mother isn't acting and just today she made roast chicken breast covered in mayonnaise and half a jar of Mrs. Dash because an internet recipe told her to. No other seasonings. She baked it at 400 for 1 hour. She saw nothing wrong with this and was insistent that it would taste good. She has been cooking like this for the 38 years I've known her. Some people are insanely bad at food.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I was gonna say so many of them are models or other entertainer types, I figure they found them through a casting agency. And they are playing up their incompetence. That show annoys the poo poo out of me.

The best cooking competition is the British Bake-off or whatever it’s called. No twists, no hiding the use of recipes or any other bullshit like that. Just good bakers.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah I was gonna say so many of them are models or other entertainer types, I figure they found them through a casting agency. And they are playing up their incompetence. That show annoys the poo poo out of me.

The best cooking competition is the British Bake-off or whatever it’s called. No twists, no hiding the use of recipes or any other bullshit like that. Just good bakers.

I think this is reflective of the British vs US audience where the Brits don't need poo poo turned up to 11 to stop people from changing the channel - the content can stand on it's own.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Bakeoff is so goddamn wholesome. Everybody helping everybody. The hosts genuinely seem to hate kicking people off. I don't bake a lot, but have a ton of respect for people that do. One of my favorite covid "discoveries" last year was bakeoff and taskmaster. Two very different mentalities, but both so, so excellent. Keep up the good work, UK.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

If you like British Bakeoff other commonwealth countries have taken the concept wholesale and produced their own versions, to date there is Australian, New Zealand and Canadian shows and they are as wholesome as the original.
Also Australian Masterchef remains excellent with the new hosts and the new season is due to air in Aus very soon. They had a junior version last year and it was wonderful.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Helith posted:

If you like British Bakeoff other commonwealth countries have taken the concept wholesale and produced their own versions, to date there is Australian, New Zealand and Canadian shows and they are as wholesome as the original.
Also Australian Masterchef remains excellent with the new hosts and the new season is due to air in Aus very soon. They had a junior version last year and it was wonderful.

there's also south african bake off

i don't like masterchef but i do like masterchef professionals, which has had a ton of seasons in the UK and at least one in australia

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Am I the only person in the world with a sick, unrelenting fetish for the Dunkin Donuts sausage egg and cheese on a croissant

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
You're supposed to eat it, not gently caress it. Also yes.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Australian bake off is excellent, except for season 1, which haha, went with the tedious US style-drama fest where every little bit of conflict is a Huge Deal.

They then recast the entire judging and presenting team and every season since has had that lovely supportive, collaborative feel that made the original uk version so nice. Watch out for the episode where the lady with greek heritage teaches everyone else how to make filo pastry. She can literally poke a ball of dough with one finger and judge whether it is good or not.

It's super sweet :3:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any idea where us folks can stream those? Couldn't find anything other than British Baking show on my usual platforms.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I went shady for those, couldn't get them any other way :(

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

fizzymercury posted:

"Show me where it says that in the rules!"

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

fizzymercury posted:

loving it is certainly better for your health and longevity

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Any idea where us folks can stream those? Couldn't find anything other than British Baking show on my usual platforms.

yeah you'll mostly have to pirate them if that's something you want to watch in the united states, unfortunately.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Am I the only person in the world with a sick, unrelenting fetish for the Dunkin Donuts sausage egg and cheese on a croissant

Super hit or miss for me, but when I want one, they are amazing.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Sometimes at a lovely dunkin they will come out cold, but when it's nice and hot, and the croissant is all flakey, and the cheese is melty, my god

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Sometimes at a lovely dunkin they will come out cold, but when it's nice and hot, and the croissant is all flakey, and the cheese is melty, my god
I have never received hot food from a Dunkin Donuts. I've ordered it, sure, but it's never made it to me above lukewarm.

Also the coffee always tastes like the store smells. It's uncomfortable.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

if the coffee tastes like anything other than cream, sugar, and half-melted ice, you're doing it wrong

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

if the coffee tastes like anything other than cream, sugar, and half-melted ice, you're doing it wrong
:goonsay:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

i worked 3rd shift in New england for a good number of years and drank a shitload of dunkin coffee to stay awake. dd's was the only option for caffeine. dunkin coffee is almost always burnt and bitter imo. a hot "regular" is palatable, and i was a pack-a-day smoker then too so it isnt like i had ot have a sensitive palete. seriously, a "double-double" is a pretty normal order in my neck of the woods

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Eat This Glob posted:

i worked 3rd shift in New england for a good number of years and drank a shitload of dunkin coffee to stay awake. dd's was the only option for caffeine. dunkin coffee is almost always burnt and bitter imo. a hot "regular" is palatable, and i was a pack-a-day smoker then too so it isnt like i had ot have a sensitive palete. seriously, a "double-double" is a pretty normal order in my neck of the woods

https://youtu.be/FSvNhxKJJyU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I had a dream that there were two GWSes, GWS north and GWS south and that I used to post in GWS north more but hadn't read it in a long time so I clicked on it and read about a recipe some person in Alaska was making that was different than what you'd make in a more southerly place for Reasons.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

lmao

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Hawkperson posted:

I had a dream that there were two GWSes, GWS north and GWS south and that I used to post in GWS north more but hadn't read it in a long time so I clicked on it and read about a recipe some person in Alaska was making that was different than what you'd make in a more southerly place for Reasons.

GWS: Irish politics edition

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I've posted about sake before, but I have a really dumb-dumb question: what are some good receptacles to heat sake in? I imagine microwaving is bad, and I only have glass and ceramic containers, so I'm worried about shattering something. What should I use if I'm interested in hot sake? I have a metal electric kettle, should I raw-dog that?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Blue Labrador posted:

I've posted about sake before, but I have a really dumb-dumb question: what are some good receptacles to heat sake in? I imagine microwaving is bad, and I only have glass and ceramic containers, so I'm worried about shattering something. What should I use if I'm interested in hot sake? I have a metal electric kettle, should I raw-dog that?

Maybe a double boiler situation with the bottle in a bigger container you can put hot water into? I'm curious what the right way is also.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Wouldn't you heat it in a small pan over a stove?
I know that's how you heat wine for mulled wine.

e: so apparently I'm a heathen and you heat it in a special vessel in a water bath

https://www.tippsysake.com/pages/sake-guide-lesson-5-how-to-serve-sake-warm-chilled

Helith fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Apr 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Blue Labrador posted:

I've got one of these ceramic gizmos, and I just heat it in the microwave, although a coffee cup would work fine if you don't care about presentation. Ppl will also do the double boiler thing, but microwaving is fine. Target temperature should be about body temperature.

I've also got this little guy for cold sake in the summertime, the little hole is for ice cubes: