Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

galenanorth posted:

Incidentally, the original MacGyver series has been remastered in 1080p. I couldn't even find a version better than 360p a few years ago, so I'm really glad for that. I watched a few episodes of it on TVLand in the sixth grade, and I don't remember much of it. I remember there was one episode where he was tied to a chair at a dinner table with a brass cupid centerpiece, holding back a cyanide-tipped arrow to be released when a candle finished burning through a rope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Chad's pretty funny, but it's definitely a cringe comedy.

I won't lie, part of the joy of the show is watching reddit idiots have meltdowns over the idea of the thing even existing, but I think I'd enjoy it all the same.

I just watched the trailer and have a question. I'm going to assume based on the above comment im correct, but the person playing Chad is/was actually a girl yeah? Is it a Pen15 style thing where it's just a creative choice or did TV just get a whole lot more liberal by casting a trans person?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pen15

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Nah that's Nasim Pedrad, who was on SNL 5 years ago or so. This is her show, so it's a pen15 thing yea

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Looten Plunder posted:

I just watched the trailer and have a question. I'm going to assume based on the above comment im correct, but the person playing Chad is/was actually a girl yeah? Is it a Pen15 style thing where it's just a creative choice or did TV just get a whole lot more liberal by casting a trans person?

No...?

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1840659/?ref_=tt_cl_t1

I'm very confused.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Nah that's Nasim Pedrad, who was on SNL 5 years ago or so. This is her show, so it's a pen15 thing yea

People liked Pen15?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Pen15 was fantastic

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bruceski posted:

I have hopes for Mortal Kombat, the trailer's FX looked great.

https://twitter.com/dankois/status/1379850131407728642

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Wait, why did it take so long to figure out who the MORTAL KOMBAT!!!! guy was when the answer all along was just "a guy that was in a commercial"? That's weird.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Bruceski posted:

I have hopes for Mortal Kombat, the trailer's FX looked great.

I mean, yeah, I have high hopes it's going to be great too. That said, they completely NAILED the monster fights in Godzilla vs. Kong.

The sense of scale is there, but it isn't a lot of quick cuts. You have a real sense of how the fight is unfolding. Also, since it's not a bunch of quick motion blur cuts, they had to REALLY do their job on detail work. The hair on Kong, his wrinkles, the scales on Godzilla. I watched all the movies in this series leading up to this and the jump in the quality of modeling of Godzilla in this compared to King of Monsters is huge.

Then you layer in the rain and water effects from the ocean and the interaction with other physical objects and it gets even better.

Some elements of the story were kinda eh, but it kept me far more interested than King of Monsters which basically seemed like a merry band of assoholes climb on board their magic plane traveling around the world to watch monsters do stuff obscured by fog and clouds.

Also, there are a few deliberate nods to Pacific Rim.

Watching a fight unfold from inside an office until they come crashing through. Also, motherfucking rocket assisted punch.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I want a prequel with the giant ape society making magical axes

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Goddam Zero Zero Zero was so good, and so brutal. Maybe so good because it was so brutal.

Now I gotta scratch that itch. What else is good in that clearly from a book, multiple amoral characters, satisfying one season arc vein? Narcos?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Whoa. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind TV show starring Justin Timberlake. I am intrigued. From the Ray Donovan guy—for someone who never watched it, is that reason to be excited or wary?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ray Donovan's really good but criminally underwatched.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Ray Donovan's really good but criminally underwatched.

AND worth noting, they are doing a tv movie to wrap it all up with most of the cast returning.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

feedmyleg posted:

Whoa. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind TV show starring Justin Timberlake. I am intrigued. From the Ray Donovan guy—for someone who never watched it, is that reason to be excited or wary?

Heck yes, that movie owns

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Live action Powerpuff Girls show definitely got one thing right as they've announced Tom Kenny is reprising his role as the narrator.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
How is the show Arrow? Worth getting in to? I see its available on Netflix.

I haven't watched much of the TV superhero shows. I think the last I watched was the first season of The Flash and then quickly fell out of it.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Hughmoris posted:

I haven't watched much of the TV superhero shows. I think the last I watched was the first season of The Flash and then quickly fell out of it.

It's good comic book trash at the level of the first season of the flash, but you should probably stop after the second season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hughmoris posted:

Like a lot of CW superhero shows it can be kind of uneven.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

Early Arrow was pretty drat good. It had some surprisingly good action scenes, better than you'd expect from network TV. It definitely starts dropping off by season 3 though, with sporadic flashes of quality for the remainder of its run.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm not gonna say "stop watching Arrow after XYZ" because there are some great moments throughout, but it definitely comes in and out of quality and some seasons are saddled with the antagonist or a major plot point being the bit that's not working.

Others, of course, get someone who chews the scenery almost as well as a wrestling heel. They had some good stunt coordinators, so while a lot of it suffers from "two guys in black fighting inside a dimly-lit warehouse" there are great bits among that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bull3964 posted:

I'm not sure I need to see anything that this year to know that Godzilla Vs. Kong should get the Academy Award for best VFX.

I generally liked the VFX in Godzilla vs. Kong, but there were some wonky shots here and there (I don't know whether Scanline or Weta was responsible for the water effects, but those were very hit-or-miss, and there were some shots where either creatures or objects seemed to be completely lacking any sort of mass whatsoever); I'm sure it'll be nominated come year's end, of course. That being said, it's going to be a crowded field, considering how effects-heavy Dune is, Fast & Furious 9 is sure to be bonkers considering they're going to space, Black Widow looks to have some impressive effects work and Shang Chi and the Ten Rings is still scheduled for this year (as is Venom: Let There be Carnage). Spider-Man: Far From Home, Top Gun: Maverick, Ghostbusters: Afterlife and No Time to Die are still hanging out there, too, all sure to be ridiculously effects-heavy.

And there's that little thing called The Matrix 4, which will likely be a piece of poo poo but if anything it's guaranteed to pull some wild, wild poo poo, effects-wise.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Thanks for the thoughts on Arrow.

One more Friday night question: I just saw ABC's Revenge is on Hulu. I remember watching that first season when it premiered but I never stuck with it.

Without spoilers, did that show keep its steam or did it fizzle?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

oh jay posted:

Early Arrow was pretty drat good. It had some surprisingly good action scenes, better than you'd expect from network TV. It definitely starts dropping off by season 3 though, with sporadic flashes of quality for the remainder of its run.

Yeah, broadly speaking seasons 1&2 were good, season 3&4 not as good, 5 is a banger, 6 is the worst, 7 is okay and 8 is a love letter to the show as a whole. They also started doing more and more involved crossovers with the other shows starting in season 4.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Hughmoris posted:

Thanks for the thoughts on Arrow.

One more Friday night question: I just saw ABC's Revenge is on Hulu. I remember watching that first season when it premiered but I never stuck with it.

Without spoilers, did that show keep its steam or did it fizzle?

I freaking loved Revenge for the first couple of seasons- it was a lot of fun for a while. I don't think I ever watched the ending (which I spoiled for myself and it didn't sound great) because by that point I had all but checked out. I can't remember when it started getting too silly even for me, but I'd say the first 2 seasons are about the same as the first couple seasons of Prison Break and Scandal. All very fun shows when firing on all cylinders.

Madeline Stowe is fun to watch, regardless.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

isaboo posted:

I freaking loved Revenge for the first couple of seasons- it was a lot of fun for a while. I don't think I ever watched the ending (which I spoiled for myself and it didn't sound great) because by that point I had all but checked out. I can't remember when it started getting too silly even for me, but I'd say the first 2 seasons are about the same as the first couple seasons of Prison Break and Scandal. All very fun shows when firing on all cylinders.

Madeline Stowe is fun to watch, regardless.

Yeah, I remember enjoying the 1st season when it was airing and can't remember why I fell out of it. I'll likely just binge it and if it gets terrible I'll just read up on the ending.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I was generally surprised by the action in S2. Every ep had pretty good martial arts fights and inventive fight scenes. Thinking of those ninjas bursting thru the clocktower and the cop who was a wizard in a different show trying to shoot them all.

But dropped it after 2nd season. Tho now im hearing the 5th season is worth watching? Might give it a shot.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

Goddam Zero Zero Zero was so good, and so brutal. Maybe so good because it was so brutal.

Now I gotta scratch that itch. What else is good in that clearly from a book, multiple amoral characters, satisfying one season arc vein? Narcos?

The Escobar season of Narcos is a nice Arc but it's not one season and everyone is pretty moral (or immoral).

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
You could try Gammorah, which has the exact same creative team behind it and is based on a book by the same guy that wrote the book ZeroZeroZero is based on.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

What streaming site is gamorrah on? Ill try that bext. Does Narcos drop off? I dont mind multiple seasons as long as the quality is there

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

howe_sam posted:

Yeah, broadly speaking seasons 1&2 were good, season 3&4 not as good, 5 is a banger, 6 is the worst, 7 is okay and 8 is a love letter to the show as a whole. They also started doing more and more involved crossovers with the other shows starting in season 4.

This is pretty accurate. It's the only CW show I was able to watch all the way through. Season 5 is the best and has the best villain. Season 6 is the worst by far. But even it is not terrible enough to disregard the show.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I started a rewatch of Deep Space Nine. When I first watched it was probably over a decade ago and I remember liking it well enough that it has cemented itself in my brain as The Best Star Trek.

I'm only a little way into the first season but I don't remember the acting being this stilted. The scenes with Ben Sisko and his dead wife are particularly bad, but there are loads of other examples of scenes where it literally seems like I'm watching people read lines from a script in a non-human way.

I'm hoping it's a case of they get much better in subsequent seasons and that is what I'm remembering. It's not all bad - I like almost any scene with Odo in it and weirdly Quark - I remember disliking his character previously but I like him now because he feels more like a real person than a lot of them. Maybe I've gotten too used to contemporary shows like The Orville where people talk a lot more "normally" and as a result shows from last century have become dated. I'm still enjoying it - I barely remember any of the individual episodes so each one still has an element of surprise to it - but I have to sustain a lot more disbelief to look past the unnatural dialogue.

For reference, I enjoyed Pickard, and Discovery, despite their flaws. I love Lower Decks and can't wait for more of that. I just want a modern series based on a space station like Bab5 or DS9 with massive 20+ episode seasons and epic story arcs that last for a multitude of years... and good acting.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 10, 2021

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The first ~40 episodes or so of DS9 and TNG are kind of bad with a few outliers. I think "Duet" in the first season of DS9 is a hint of what the show can do.

jacksonchan
Jun 29, 2005

Shageletic posted:

What streaming site is gamorrah on? Ill try that bext. Does Narcos drop off? I dont mind multiple seasons as long as the quality is there

The first 3 seasons of Gomorrah are on HBO Max. It's really great and stays strong through all 3 seasons.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

The first ~40 episodes or so of DS9 and TNG are kind of bad with a few outliers. I think "Duet" in the first season of DS9 is a hint of what the show can do.

The Trek series in general seem to be cursed to have a S1 that is far weaker the the following. From TNG all the way to Disco, the show just picks up so much when they relaxed and stopped freaking out trying to be a "star trek" show too hard.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Just watch all the DS9 episodes with Garak if you are trying to shortcut the series.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

swickles posted:

Just watch all the DS9 episodes with Garak if you are trying to shortcut the series.

My only quibble: I don't think Garak is in Little Green Men, Trials and Tribble-ations, The Visitor, or Far Beyond the Stars.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chairman Capone posted:

My only quibble: I don't think Garak is in Little Green Men, Trials and Tribble-ations, The Visitor, or Far Beyond the Stars.

Garak's also in only like 27 episodes, there's no way to supercut 27 great episodes of DS9 without missing a poo poo-ton of stuff. He also isn't in Duet, Past Tense, The Siege, Take Me Out to the Holosuite, The Magnificent Ferengi, For the Uniform, The Sound of Her Voice, The Siege of AR-558, It's Only a Paper Moon, Once More Unto the Breach, Emissary, Homefront / Paradise Lost, and probably a half-dozen other ones I'm forgetting.

DS9 was so good at guest casting that it's very easy to forget that many its most memorable guest characters were on the show for less than a quarter of its total episode count.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Someone had recommended Tell Me Your Secrets and 2 episodes in, the story and acting is really interesting particularly Lily Rabe and Hamish Linklater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TV Zombie posted:

Someone had recommended Tell Me Your Secrets and 2 episodes in, the story and acting is really interesting particularly Lily Rabe and Hamish Linklater.

Get out while you still can.