Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
In the end credits for this episode, I noticed text, in various languages/scripts, that was quickly over-written by cast/production crew standard credit stuff. Was it like this in earlier episodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

KittyEmpress posted:

Anyone who thinks Walker is going to face any kind of punishment is dumb. He is going to be lauded by the news as a hero who killed a known terrorist who had just murdered an American. The flagsmasher who was summarily executed will have his reputation dragged through the mud. The news cycle will focus on the bombing he was involved in, the thefts of medicine, the bank robbery, and work as hard as possible to show him as a thug with no good points. They will dig up any little detail they can to show that John was in the right for killing this man begging for his life.

He will at most get a slap on the wrist, and then secretly be applauded for becoming a super soldier, if he reveals it at all.

I mean, this is exactly what would happen in the actual news media of our Hellworld but I doubt the MCU would actually go there.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

But seriously, why did they just all stand there while cap is trying to get his dead best friend to wake up. Literally letting the mass murderer go, what the hell

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Big McHuge posted:

In the end credits for this episode, I noticed text, in various languages/scripts, that was quickly over-written by cast/production crew standard credit stuff. Was it like this in earlier episodes?

Yes, I haven't bothered to freeze frame it, but I'm sure there's some interesting stuff in there.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Terror Sweat posted:

But seriously, why did they just all stand there while cap is trying to get his dead best friend to wake up. Literally letting the mass murderer go, what the hell

because nobody who isn't a cop wants to arrest the Flagsmashers

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Rockstar Massacre posted:

because nobody who isn't a cop wants to arrest the Flagsmashers

What. Then what exactly are they doing there, and why run out the room after the flagsmashers

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Terror Sweat posted:

What. Then what exactly are they doing there, and why run out the room after the flagsmashers

Sam and Bucky are trying to end the entire issue peacefully because they know Walker won’t, and then they give chase because they know the Flag-Smashers killing Walker would only make things worse.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

This episode was great! I'd watch an 8-episode series just about Zemo and his butler roaming the world hatching schemes to destroy superheroes. He's so charismatic in this role and his arc from Civil War (where honestly he won) to his new role is just great. In Civil War he was unknown and he used that to destroy the Avengers, now he's in a new world order and his north star has remained unchanged he's just adapting to how he's going to do it.

Everything this episode was great. Show needed to be 8-9 episodes.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sam and Bucky are trying to end the entire issue peacefully because they know Walker won’t, and then they give chase because they know the Flag-Smashers killing Walker would only make things worse.

I think Sam was still trying to bring her in under arrest just didn't want to do the whole super hero punch em up because that just fucks over everybody who isn't a super hero and talk her down to come in quietly

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

tsob posted:

Actually, something I haven't seen discussed yet: Ayo says something to Bucky in Wakandan just before she leaves, does anyone have any idea what she says? Even the subtitles just render it as "In Wakandan" or something similar. Which, I think is based of Xhosa or some other African languages, so maybe someone knows what she said.

I'd presume she's admonishing him in some way, but I wonder if that bridge is completely burnt now because of his use of Zemo and resistance to them or if there's still some sentiment left there that could allow him to repair that relationship?

In what part? this part?

It was translated as "Bast drat you, James" in Latin American Spanish, and I'm pretty sure she spoke in English?

Edit, just a theory: I guess Bucky is gonna have to make amends with Wakanda. Something tells me that Zemo is gonna scurry away, and that might what will link James to Black Panther 2. Or at least he is gonna have a cameo or something.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 10, 2021

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

tsob posted:

Actually, something I haven't seen discussed yet: Ayo says something to Bucky in Wakandan just before she leaves, does anyone have any idea what she says? Even the subtitles just render it as "In Wakandan" or something similar. Which, I think is based of Xhosa or some other African languages, so maybe someone knows what she said.

I'd presume she's admonishing him in some way, but I wonder if that bridge is completely burnt now because of his use of Zemo and resistance to them or if there's still some sentiment left there that could allow him to repair that relationship?

I thought she was saying "Das vedanya, James" as kind of a "whatever friendly relationship we had is over, goodbye"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Its Rinaldo posted:

I think Sam was still trying to bring her in under arrest just didn't want to do the whole super hero punch em up because that just fucks over everybody who isn't a super hero and talk her down to come in quietly

That’s kinda what I meant, Sam’s not there to bring her in via brute force. He’s relating and trying to do it compassionately. He’s not going to side with her or let her just walk away, but he understands her and he seems like the kind of guy to make sure her issues are ultimately seen as valid and addressed in an official manner. He has more or less the same values and moral compass as Steve.

Compare that to Walker, who would absolutely have no problem busting in there and beating everyone to a pulp, and then parading them out in cuffs and turning them over to his superiors for a pat on the head.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s kinda what I meant, Sam’s not there to bring her in via brute force. He’s relating and trying to do it compassionately. He’s not going to side with her or let her just walk away, but he understands her and he seems like the kind of guy to make sure her issues are ultimately seen as valid and addressed in an official manner. He has more or less the same values and moral compass as Steve.

Compare that to Walker, who would absolutely have no problem busting in there and beating everyone to a pulp, and then parading them out in cuffs and turning them over to his superiors for a pat on the head.

Gotcha :hfive:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

ShakeZula posted:

I thought she was saying "Das vedanya, James" as kind of a "whatever friendly relationship we had is over, goodbye"

Hahaha seems as subbing is all over the place with D+.
Don't they get the lines directly from the script? Can't wait for a "according to keikaku" error :lol:

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
If anyone thinks that Walker is getting anything but praise after this episode y'all are more idealistic than me. The Flag Smashers killed Lamar, his best friend, it doesn't matter if it was the girl or not, a "true patriot" died to a terrorist. Falcon and Bucky will be lucky to not be wanted for aiding them at this point.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Bast is the Wakandan Panther God - Ayo just said 'Bast drat you James'.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Diabetic posted:

If anyone thinks that Walker is getting anything but praise after this episode y'all are more idealistic than me. The Flag Smashers killed Lamar, his best friend, it doesn't matter if it was the girl or not, a "true patriot" died to a terrorist. Falcon and Bucky will be lucky to not be wanted for aiding them at this point.

In the real world sure, but I just don't see the MCU going that route. Recall for example in Civil War where they essentially did a drone strike on an office building and how they dealt with the resulting fallout. They might try to do the whole true patriot gave that terrorist what he deserved, but it's pretty clear that people in the world sympathize with the flagsmashers in a way that they never do for any of the other MCU villains.

IMO the outcry over Walker is what's gonna force Sam to take the shield, and the rest of the plot is about getting him to accept that role for himself.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Okay but they just stood there for a solid 20 seconds then gave chase

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I feel like I am crazy for not liking Falcon and Winter Soldier much cuz I see a lot of praise for it. WandaVision was much better. New cap sucks, karli sucks, falcon and winter soldier are both directionless. The story has felt rushed and disjointed even in the TV format where there should be plenty of runtime to fill in little details. I keep waiting for the big hook of the season but feel like i’m getting nothing. At 204 minutes in that is a problem. Maybe there’s a turning point after the end of this episode but I’m not clear on if they’re setting up anything more than more of the same.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Karli is such a pacifist that she ambushed Walker with the intention of executing him to send a message and then punched his best friend into a post, killing him instantly. A whole plot thread in this episode was dedicated to the serum turning Karli from an activist into a terrorist. She is absolutely ideologically correct but her methods are not heroic

Also originally (production spoiler) the flag smashers were going to release a deadly virus to wipe half the population to bring the world back to how it was in the snap. It's why they have so many lines about missing the snap and so many scenes of them stealing dubious medical supplies. Due to COVID the plot was scrapped and they were reworked to be more sympathetic. They don't really have an endgame in the show and their grand plan seems to just be solving smaller issues

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Why is Steve the only person that bulked up from the serum?

Having to pay actors to get super swole is expensive...because most of them HATE doing months of full time training with 24/7 dietary reqs for a couple minutes of shirtless scenes. Din't Chris Evans hint that is one of the reasons he was done with the role? I know Daniel Craig hated having to get swole for the Bond movies. It also gets harder for older actors, like Hugh Jackman. Also one of our super soldiers is a woman and sadly way too many people still freak out about buff women. One could also have a conversation about body image issues boys can develop when their role models are all tall super swole body-hairless beefcakes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I feel like that final scene is a nod to John Walker in the comics where he almost kills Spider-Woman in a blind rage while on the West Coast Avengers as US Agent.

Except this time it goes a little differently.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Spacebump posted:

Why is Steve the only person that bulked up from the serum?

I think he was the only one who got the vita ray version, right?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Mayor Dave posted:

I think he was the only one who got the vita ray version, right?

Makes as much sense as anything else.

text editor posted:

It's crazy how good this show is about positioning it's themes. Acting is great, script is great and narrative is cohesive. People here hit on some good ones

Yeah, they are structuring the "Steve was right about Sam" theme well. I also am fairly certain that the shield is gone after this season. That final shot wasn't only a great comic-booky shot, it was a good metaphor for how the symbol of Captain America is stained. I think If Anything, Sam will carry on Isaiah's legacy[/spoiler]

Walker untrained compared to Bucky, undisciplined compared to the Dora Milaje, and uncaring compared to Sam. Really great job contrasting him to the others. Also, I can't stress this enough, but this episode was the one that 100% the correct choice to portray Walker, his facial expressions and delivery really sell the character, his struggles, and make you hate hi, pity him, and sympathize with him all at once.

Walker is definitely a lower tier fighter compared to the other people on the show. Sam's fought supervilains, Bucky spent 70 years only being woken up to go kill people so basically constant war and he was already a decorated combat vet, and the Dora Milaje are the best of the best with amazing tech to back them up. I think his whole "They're not even superr soldiers" bit was about how hes spent his whole life training and being told he's the best, only to get clowned by some unpowered people. Even Steve spent his life trying to win fights as a scrawny dude, Walker's never really been at a disadvantage and now when he's supposed to be the best of the best and his first real test is him getting toyed with.

As for the shield, I think Sam's either getting Steve's, or Wakanda is going to give him one that he can use with his wings.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The serum scientist also mentions the serum being refined and doesn't need to make the subjects all jacked up. Having a supersoldier that is just this little ginger girl is a lot more subtle than swole blond Adonis.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like that final scene is a nod to John Walker in the comics where he almost kills Spider-Woman in a blind rage while on the West Coast Avengers as US Agent.

Except this time it goes a little differently.

I'm pretty sure it's a nod to the Captain America arc where his parents are killed by a terrorist group and he loses his poo poo and kills them

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

AJA posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a nod to the Captain America arc where his parents are killed by a terrorist group and he loses his poo poo and kills them
It could be, but reading through US Agent's history, I literally lost count of the amount of times he lost his poo poo and beat someone really badly and/or killed them in a rage

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

AJA posted:

Doesn't he explicitly miss his own parents' funeral to go and complete whatever bullshit largely PR/Optics mission the US Government have given him to do as well?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

BurritoJustice posted:

Also originally (production spoiler) the flag smashers were going to release a deadly virus to wipe half the population to bring the world back to how it was in the snap. It's why they have so many lines about missing the snap and so many scenes of them stealing dubious medical supplies. Due to COVID the plot was scrapped and they were reworked to be more sympathetic. They don't really have an endgame in the show and their grand plan seems to just be solving smaller issues

They should've left that in, would've helped the show make more sense.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It’s super funny to watch Zemo win most of his battles with being a good father and discretion. They are explicitly assholes to him and he is nice to their faces then takes any opportunity to get away. He is the most underestimated on person on the show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

While I am enjoying a lot of individual parts of this show, I do have to say the show does feel like a bunch of stuff crammed together a lot of times, like they filmed from a bunch of different versions of the script and some poor editor had to try and jam it all together. It's kind of unbelievable that they were 2/3rds of the way through the season before we actually found out exactly what went on with the various "refugees" caused by the Blip. It kept getting brought up as the reason for the creation of the Flagsmashers and unless I missed something this episode was the first time anybody explicitly said,"So yeah after half the world's population disappeared, all the previous immigration restrictions just disappeared because countries DESPERATELY needed workers and people to fill the sudden gaps across every aspect of culture business etc.... and then 5 years later everybody returns and those same countries just went,"Yeah we don't need you anymore gently caress off back where you came from."

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Zemo is straight up the best character on the show. His motivation is 100x better than anyone else the past 4 episodes (Bucky is pretty relatable with his whole 'making things right with those I wronged' thing but that's super irrelevant the past 3 episodes) but Zemo you get it super-powered people destroyed his family and he will stop at nothing to ensure super-powered people are, thus, no more. Ends? Means? Who cares, the Serum must be destroyed, and then the super-soldiers, and then the next threat to an innocent person's family. It's honestly relatable because the actor is dripping with charm in his role and the costuming is crushing it for him and him alone.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

In the credits (like 47:23 or 47:24) very quickly an image with “individuals” made to stand out in the text, is followed by another image text with “ won’t save us” made to stand out.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

While I am enjoying a lot of individual parts of this show, I do have to say the show does feel like a bunch of stuff crammed together a lot of times, like they filmed from a bunch of different versions of the script and some poor editor had to try and jam it all together. It's kind of unbelievable that they were 2/3rds of the way through the season before we actually found out exactly what went on with the various "refugees" caused by the Blip. It kept getting brought up as the reason for the creation of the Flagsmashers and unless I missed something this episode was the first time anybody explicitly said,"So yeah after half the world's population disappeared, all the previous immigration restrictions just disappeared because countries DESPERATELY needed workers and people to fill the sudden gaps across every aspect of culture business etc.... and then 5 years later everybody returns and those same countries just went,"Yeah we don't need you anymore gently caress off back where you came from."

It took longer than the runtime of endgame. Even after ep 4 there are still no stakes for the title characters. sam and bucky are running around doing whatever, for all we can tell they could just stop and go home if they want. nemo has hosed off and wasn’t all that invested in the first place beyond his dislike of supers. we don’t know what karli is up to besides small scale terrorist acts and robin hood stuff so it is hard to care what happens to her. something might happen to walker after he murdered a man who was begging for his life on camera but do we even care? walker sucks, we’ve known he sucks the whole time. I guess they need walker to go after sam and bucky to give us some stakes so maybe that happens next. oh and it’s super funny that someone finally died from getting super-punched into a wall in a marvel thing.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

seaborgium posted:

Walker is definitely a lower tier fighter compared to the other people on the show. Sam's fought supervilains, Bucky spent 70 years only being woken up to go kill people so basically constant war and he was already a decorated combat vet, and the Dora Milaje are the best of the best with amazing tech to back them up. I think his whole "They're not even superr soldiers" bit was about how hes spent his whole life training and being told he's the best, only to get clowned by some unpowered people. Even Steve spent his life trying to win fights as a scrawny dude, Walker's never really been at a disadvantage and now when he's supposed to be the best of the best and his first real test is him getting toyed with.

I mean, isn't he supposed to be a career Marine? The guys that do most of their fighting by shooting guns and in a team? Yeah, they get hand-to-hand combat training, but even then he should have trouble adjusting to carrying around a big shield and punching people, with just one other guy as back-up. Even for Steve it took a while to go full shield and fists.

Most of his troubles come from wanting to not just be Captain America from day 1, but a BETTER Captain America than Steve ever was, and that's just setting yourself up for failure.

AJA posted:

I took it more of a nod to when Steve in the comics had to kill Baron Blood, the Nazi vampire, and didn't have stakes, holy water or garlic, so he went for the decapitation shot in the same way Walker did with the Flag Smasher at the end.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

In the credits (like 47:23 or 47:24) very quickly an image with “individuals” made to stand out in the text, is followed by another image text with “ won’t save us” made to stand out.

New rockstars is selling a shirt that has 'the enhanced won't save us".

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

howe_sam posted:

Yes, I haven't bothered to freeze frame it, but I'm sure there's some interesting stuff in there.
It's news clippings from in-universe, classified government documents, and Americana documents like The Constitution and the plaque on the Statue of Liberty.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Kal-L posted:

I mean, isn't he supposed to be a career Marine? The guys that do most of their fighting by shooting guns and in a team? Yeah, they get hand-to-hand combat training, but even then he should have trouble adjusting to carrying around a big shield and punching people, with just one other guy as back-up. Even for Steve it took a while to go full shield and fists.

Most of his troubles come from wanting to not just be Captain America from day 1, but a BETTER Captain America than Steve ever was, and that's just setting yourself up for failure.

I took it more of a nod to when Steve in the comics had to kill Baron Blood, the Nazi vampire, and didn't have stakes, holy water or garlic, so he went for the decapitation shot in the same way Walker did with the Flag Smasher at the end.

Too bad Jon Bernthal's Frank Castle wasn't up for the job.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I finally figured out who Cop Cap reminds me of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Anyone else find it ridiculous that the main signifier of someone using the serum is them embedding something into the wall?