Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

GUN was a hidden gem from back in the ps2 generation.

Little things in GUN: you recover health by drinking alcohol, so you go through firefights slamming back shots of whiskey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Because everything must be multiplayer.

Despite how much I love rdr2, I haven't spent a huge amount of time in red dead online. And I think half of that is how incredibly hostile the multiplayer world is. If I see another real person, the odds are very good that they're going to shoot me, sometimes because they think I'll shoot them but sometimes just because. I don't enjoy PvP and a game experience where I have to worry about being shot while I sell poo poo to the butcher because someone's decided to gleefully murder everyone who walks into town is not fun for me. Trying to deliver a wagon and then getting it stolen by a high level player with a sniper rifle is not fun for me, and while a lot of games let you opt out of PvP, red dead online doesn't, not really, so almost all my interactions with other players are negative.

Sometimes the horse races are fun, though.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Multiplayer games with PvE are much better when pvp can be opted into. Valheim is excellent for this, as the pvp toggle solely affects whether you take damage from other players.

Seems RDR2 (and probably some others) could greatly benefit from a similar option.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Gaius Marius posted:

GUN was a hidden gem from back in the ps2 generation.

That was fun enough at the time that I honestly expected cowboy games to become more of a subgenre.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The best "recent" pirate game was probably the Curse of the Vampire Coast DLC/Faction for Total War: Warhammer 2. Undead pirates led by a vampire who had his mind and personality shattered by an Aztec lizardpeople curse, an opera-singing banshee, or a... human? (I thought she was a siren that had cut off her fin and replaced it with two sawfish bills for legs but apparently she's just a mutant human) pirate who uses sawfish bills as her peg legs. Or just another old vampire wizard.

You can loot and pillage, dig up buried treasure, and be a general nuisance to everyone along the coast. Sounds like a pirate game to me.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

RoboRodent posted:

I've played RDR2 twice. It really resonated me, for whatever reason. I want my horses to be happy and I want to ride around skinning animals until I feel like doing story.

I feel that that all the care you put in the horse really make it resonate if it died. I'm one of those who reloaded when my horse died. It also made it more emotinally when Morgan says thank you to his horse when it ultimately dies.

RDR2 also feels like one of those games that it's actually possible to go around exploring in. Unlike other open world games not everybody is out to kill you, there's no artificial borders. you don't have to level up or unlock parts of the story to go places, there's also a lot of genuinely interesting places to stumble upon.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The Pirates of the Caribbean game on the original Xbox is a hidden gem and it kills me that we never got a follow-up to it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Sid Meier's Pirates was a lot of fun, and will teach you to ransack Saint Augustine immediately to keep the bad guys from spawning up in the rear end end of the map.

I usually follow it by ejecting the Spanish from Mexico for the same reason.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Vandar posted:

The Pirates of the Caribbean game on the original Xbox is a hidden gem and it kills me that we never got a follow-up to it.

That's probably because it started as Sea Dogs 2 and then they decided to throw money at then and add in some PotC stuff

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Vandar posted:

:yeah:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I remember enjoying this but I don't remember if it was actually GOOD or not...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Vandar posted:

Was that the same as the PS2 game I played a while back, The Legend of Jack Sparrow? Where he was saving his and Will's asses by pulling a Scheherazade to avoid being executed?

Also I played the first island set in Legend of Black Kat, couldn't get past the first boss. Might try again some day.

On another note I've started playing Disaster: Day of Crisis on Wii. I've had it for years but never tried it, the shooting is really fun.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The best cowboy game is obviously West of Loathing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BioEnchanted posted:

Was that the same as the PS2 game I played a while back, The Legend of Jack Sparrow? Where he was saving his and Will's asses by pulling a Scheherazade to avoid being executed?

Also I played the first island set in Legend of Black Kat, couldn't get past the first boss. Might try again some day.

On another note I've started playing Disaster: Day of Crisis on Wii. I've had it for years but never tried it, the shooting is really fun.

It is not

Push El Burrito posted:

Don't give Jick money though he's a Bad Guy

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

It would be better if Jick wasn't a giant piece of human-shaped feces.

BioEnchanted posted:

It is not. Jack doesn't even show up in the game. Aside from the Black Pearl appearing throughout the game, there's not really a lot of movie stuff in it.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Alhazred posted:

I feel that that all the care you put in the horse really make it resonate if it died. I'm one of those who reloaded when my horse died. It also made it more emotinally when Morgan says thank you to his horse when it ultimately dies.

RDR2 also feels like one of those games that it's actually possible to go around exploring in. Unlike other open world games not everybody is out to kill you, there's no artificial borders. you don't have to level up or unlock parts of the story to go places, there's also a lot of genuinely interesting places to stumble upon.

I always go tame the white Arabian as soon as it's feasible for me to head up into the mountains. And then I name her Guinevere.

:rip:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Cowboychat I'd love to see a remaster or even just a 'get it running on Win10' release of Darkwatch from way back in the OG XBOX days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HSIfKUvVHQ

NoneMoreNegative has a new favorite as of 20:48 on Apr 9, 2021

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

On open worlds I'm digging the Cultist Hunt in AC: Odyssey. I really like the idea of these people being out in the world and not tied to missions and figuring out where they might be from clues is very satisfying. Would be happy playing a big open-world game where the idea was to find specific NPCs without any signposting.

I also love it when I wander into a random cave and there's a cultist hanging out in there I had no idea about.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

BioEnchanted posted:

It’s super fun and just the right amount of silly dumbass melodrama. Plus giant hamburger.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I don't know bad things video game makers do so I'm changing my answer to Wild Arms.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Wow, Disaster Day of Crisis has a surprisingly robust weapon tree to unlock. Did not expect that.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Randalor posted:

The best "recent" pirate game was probably the Curse of the Vampire Coast DLC/Faction for Total War: Warhammer 2. Undead pirates led by a vampire who had his mind and personality shattered by an Aztec lizardpeople curse, an opera-singing banshee, or a... human? (I thought she was a siren that had cut off her fin and replaced it with two sawfish bills for legs but apparently she's just a mutant human) pirate who uses sawfish bills as her peg legs. Or just another old vampire wizard.

You can loot and pillage, dig up buried treasure, and be a general nuisance to everyone along the coast. Sounds like a pirate game to me.

Strongly agree. I didn't know how they'd make a Total War campaign feel like a free-wheeling pirate adventure but they nailed it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Wow, Disaster Day of Crisis has a surprisingly robust weapon tree to unlock. Did not expect that.

I was gonna say, surprised I never heard of that because it looks like the kind of fun gimmicky game I would've bought. Apparently it didn't get a US release because of poor sales and Reggie thinking it looked dumb :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Seems the US has bad luck with Wii games, given your version of Pandora's Tower has a high chance of breaking right at the end due to a bug that's not present in the EU version :P

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

RoboRodent posted:

I always go tame the white Arabian as soon as it's feasible for me to head up into the mountains. And then I name her Guinevere.

:rip:

I named mine Felicity.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm playing Mario 64 for the first time and I'm enjoying that you can crawl. I spent the first boss fight crawling away from the big bomb guy for like 3 minutes laughing like an idiot.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

DrBouvenstein posted:

I named mine Felicity.

I kept the big chunky boi you were supposed to sell from the tutorial and named him Hamstack. Loyal bastard lasted me until the end of the game, made it all work for me so much more.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Elvis_Maximus posted:

That and pirate games

I would love a pirate game in the vein of ME2 style bioware. Gather your crew across the caribbean, help them accomplish their goals, defeat the uh.. pirate ghost is a classic. Combine that with some sailing mechanics and pirate management, like some people being better at certain jobs etc and you got a heck of a game

Pillars of Eternity 2 was the best Secret Pirate Game in years.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

If you want me to get excited about a western game you're gonna have to get weird with it. Have a shaman grant me ghost wolf powers or have mad scientists inventing crazy gadgets or something. Otherwise it's just a shooter with three guns, against human enemies with the same three guns, plus maybe grenades reskinned as dynamite.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Deadlands would in fact make a good game.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Triarii posted:

If you want me to get excited about a western game you're gonna have to get weird with it. Have a shaman grant me ghost wolf powers or have mad scientists inventing crazy gadgets or something.

Werewolf Cowboy: Wild Wild West

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Byzantine posted:

Just let me know where to send my money

The Aguamoose
Jan 10, 2006
"Yes, I remember the Aguamoose..."
It's a pvp shooter but for wild west with a twist I highly recommend Hunt Showdown. It's basically cowboys going into a zombie infested bayou to find and kill one or two specific boss creatures, then escape with the bounties from their corpses. But other cowboys are out to do the same thing and won't want to share the bounty.

The gunfights are so satisfying and the game oozes atmosphere.

Multiplayer games never used to interest me much but playing hunt with friends has kept me relatively sane over the past year.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

hunt is specifically what has me wishing for more cowboy games, but despite being a great game, it's very hard to blanket recommend because not only do you need the patience to deal with its extremely unforgiving and difficult nature but you also need an equally patient friend to play it with. it's somewhat doomed to forever be a niche product because of this, but if you can meet its steep prerequisites to enjoy it, drat if it isn't an experience you can't get anywhere else. and it's gained population for the last six months so it's not about to go anywhere.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Triarii posted:

Have a shaman grant me ghost wolf powers or have mad scientists inventing crazy gadgets or something.
I do need to point out that RDR2 had one of those.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

I do need to point out that RDR2 had one of those.

RDR2 has robots, aliens, ghosts and vampires in it, so it's not like some super realistic dull experience.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I am all for more Weird West games.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Cowboychat I'd love to see a remaster or even just a 'get it running on Win10' release of Darkwatch from way back in the OG XBOX days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HSIfKUvVHQ

I had completely forgot about this! Darkwatch was fuckin' awesome!

Byzantine posted:

Werewolves are another one of those things I feel are sorely underrepresented in games as far as playable characters go.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The Lone Badger posted:

Deadlands would in fact make a good game.

Deadlands/Doomtown would make an excellent setting for a game, and its frankly weird that its never happened.

Edit to add: Please not a looter-shooter though, I could practically feel the monkey paw twitching, and I do not want a looter shooter with a pasted on deadlands theme with "huckster" "gunslinger" and "mad scientist" being the classes, dropping colour rarity, but otherwise indistinguishable loot and charging you ghost rock (the freemium currency) for respecs.

SiKboy has a new favorite as of 10:52 on Apr 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

RDR2 has robots, aliens, ghosts and vampires in it, so it's not like some super realistic dull experience.

Just an unrealistic one :dumbrim: