Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Got production of just about everything set up.

Really does feel like a gigantic space city. Unfortunately, early tests of the teleportation system suggest that it also likes to fry its support fleet in the process.

On the plus side it can now print more of them quite easily so I don't care that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

That's a really cool looking PHQ

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

That looks awesome. I love how you have buildings poking up through the hula hoops.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I mean, I like the quests myself, but, at least to me, the bulk of the game doesn't come from playing the quests. So if you don't like the basic gameplay of cool rear end space ships, big rear end fleets, spreadsheeting out the rear end economics, and dog rear end fps in huge battles, I don't know that the dlcs really added anything else. It's more, but it's more of the same if you bounced off it hard pre-dlc.
Yeah, that's entirely fair - I just mean that the not hand-holding-to-quests thing is part of the charm of the X series, but that there's definitely more to the game than just flying around and looking at cool stations and ships, which is how I've seen at least a few people approach the game because they didn't know about all the plot-lines and such.

I guess there's something to be said the game maybe needing to at least point you in the right direction, even if the whole not holding your hand is part of their THINK thing which serves as the underpinning of the "TRADE FIGHT BUILD THINK" thing they've been doing - the last one often gets overlooked by players new to the series.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom
Its pretty playable now content wise. I'll be the first to admit that quests (or plots in X4 terms) are an aquired taste type of content. The spreadsheet part of the game (aka eco) works just fine. UI is still confusing as hell. Ship variety is quite good now, weapon variety is still lacking imho. So I would definitely recommend returing again if you only played at launch.

I need to vent tho - Feet combat is still broken which is supposed to be the endgame fight part. I seriously dislike Egosofts lack of real solutions to managing multiple ships in combat scenarios. They did try to introduce sync points and what not in 4.0, but it just.does.not.work. Trying to order an attack command to 5 destroyers is a nightmare. They either ignore it or run straight into stations turrets etc. Even reddit bois complained about it. I dont understand why they just dont dedicate enough resources to fix it. The most effective way of attacking stations currently is to set turrets to "kill everything" and manually plot waypoint based path around the target. If the target is moving (Xenon I for example) then its just gently caress you, everything dies.

Station lego is fun tho. I must be weird but I really like building crap in X4.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

madfury posted:

Station lego is fun tho. I must be weird but I really like building crap in X4.

Likewise. I always make sure to put an extra landing pad somewhere scenic, too.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
I personally hate the station building and just select the components I need then hit randomize until I get something that looks acceptable.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

madfury posted:

I need to vent tho - Feet combat is still broken which is supposed to be the endgame fight part.

drat, I've been using my hands this whole time

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

OwlFancier posted:

Got production of just about everything set up.

Really does feel like a gigantic space city. Unfortunately, early tests of the teleportation system suggest that it also likes to fry its support fleet in the process.

On the plus side it can now print more of them quite easily so I don't care that much.

drat I feel bad now. I only use the PHQ for research and as a place to store all my illegal junk.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Station building is my favorite thing in this game. It's cool as hell to just stand on a landing pad of a station that didn't exist before you built it, watching ships with your paint job and logo, and NPC traders, land, see you having an active impact on the world, and say "yes, this is mine."

I'm very much looking forward to getting a wharf up and being able to stand there watching the factions buy ships FROM ME.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I need to start stealing shipyard blueprints, and also ship blueprints

And weapon blueprints

Just an endless amount of emp bombs

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

chglcu posted:

I personally hate the station building and just select the components I need then hit randomize until I get something that looks acceptable.

What? There is an automated station building tool? As in I don't have to manually place down the parts?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I need to start stealing shipyard blueprints, and also ship blueprints

And weapon blueprints

Just an endless amount of emp bombs

I thought wharfs and shipyards cannot be stolen?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sky Shadowing posted:

I thought wharfs and shipyards cannot be stolen?

Oh

I need to raise a few dozen million spacebucks too then

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

Oh dear me posted:

drat, I've been using my hands this whole time

Hah, I didnt notice that one, well spotted sir.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

ughhhh posted:

What? There is an automated station building tool? As in I don't have to manually place down the parts?

You still have to put them into the box - they don’t have to connect - but then you can click the dice (IIRC) button at the top of the screen to randomize the placement and connections.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

madfury posted:

I'll be the first to admit that quests (or plots in X4 terms) are an aquired taste type of content.
You take that back!

I love me some eurojank!

ughhhh posted:

chglcu hinted at it in their post, but in the bar where you save loadouts for the build, there's a die icon which randomizes the layout and adds the necessary connectors based on which blueprints you have (so if you're going for a particular style, avoid buying blueprints from races you don't want).

Edit: loving beaten! :argh:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Is there any way to transport missiles to a destroyer or do I need to park it an equipment dock every time?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Thinking about it, that epically awesome PHQ at the top of the page, inspires me.

I'm going to move my PHQ to Earth and give it its own little mini Torus Aeternal.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mokotow posted:

Is there any way to transport missiles to a destroyer or do I need to park it an equipment dock every time?

Cargo drones should be able to take care of it, if I'm not mistaken.

I really wish missiles weren't absolute poo poo, though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think I've only actually had one missile ever fired at me in X4.

It missed

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

chglcu posted:

You still have to put them into the box - they don’t have to connect - but then you can click the dice (IIRC) button at the top of the screen to randomize the placement and connections.

That's what that was for! Goddamn the ui is obtuse.

Speaking of missiles, can you make a player ship that causes the whole screen to turn into a itano circus? Load a kuraokami into a middle boat with swarm missiles?

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 9, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

X3: AP is shockingly sparse outside the war sectors compared to X4 lol

The plots don't even start until way later unless you're Argon. The biggest difference though is how slow it is compared to X4. It really is a huge improvement. Also how long have the bonus scripts just been a free dlc on Steam lol

e: BTW has anyone seen a lot of pilots bail from their ships? I've seen it happen only once, then the AI in the sector blew the ship up anyway lol.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 9, 2021

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I see fighters bail all the time. They actually launch escape pods which is interesting. I’ve also seen larger ships start to bail, by which I mean escape pods launched from one but I don’t think the pilot dipped. I wonder if it’s morale based.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

big nipples big life posted:

That's a really cool looking PHQ

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

That looks awesome. I love how you have buildings poking up through the hula hoops.

I got that from the stock stations but thanks! I didn't previously use the HQ at all (though it's a decent plot location) but the new teleportation feature really makes you want to develop it.

I think it's worth trying to find the center of the plot so you can build stuff above and below the asteroid, and if you clip vertical pieces into it it kind of looks like you're tunneling into it, helps to give you a lot more space and also give the station a sense of verticality.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Clipping doesn't start making things explode if you're in system with them?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Slickdrac posted:

Sure doesn't!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Slickdrac posted:

Nope, they removed collision damage to hulls for ships (you'll drain your shields if you hit something but you can't take damage) and stations do not seem to calculate collision at all with their constituent parts, they're not physically simulated, entirely static.

Station parts also don't need to be connected to each other either, the connectors are just for show. Which is good for putting disc defence platforms around the perimeter of your station.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Station parts also don't need to be connected to each other either, the connectors are just for show. Which is good for putting disc defence platforms around the perimeter of your station.
Wait WHAT

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rhjamiz posted:

Wait WHAT

Did you not know that :v:

It's true, they only need to be in the plot, actual positioning is entirely cosmetic. You can just have a giant chaos pile of crap and it will function. Oh and I guess the shape has combat relevance in that you want your main gun arcs to be unobstructed, but the production/simulation part doesn't care.

On the one hand I would quite like a deeper simulation element to it, but on the other I like the freedom to make things that I like the look of.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 9, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Yaki station is built with several of these outlying defenses, presumably because that's the only way to balance it being in a Xenon sector.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I noticed that yes, I think it's the only time a stock station does that which is a little odd because Rebirth literally had that as the main defensive feature of stations, dedicated outer platforms with massive XL gun turrets on.

It's quite fun in that you sort of want to build your station defences a lot like a star fort with a bunch of demi lunes outside of the main station for maximum coverage and intercept ability to keep things away from the main core.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Are any of you guys having issues with your station just... losing resources for no reason? I keep trying to fill my HQ with field coils and adv electronics and it keeps going back down. I've checked for pirates and there's no pirates or dropped goods. For fucks sake I've topped off these resources like 5 times already and it keeps inching down each time I add more! Nothing else on the station should be taking these, I have no other idea what it could be other than INVISIBLE pirates or something.

e: Fixed it by just adding way more than I needed. Station auto-traders are loving useless.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Apr 10, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That sounds like just how production works, modules take chunks of resources out of storage and start running, then they spit a chunk of new stuff out the other end.

Failing that are you accidentally selling them? If it's a high demand resource then traders might be buying them off you, I set a sell limit on all intermediate products for that reason because by default it will absolutely sell your entire stock of intermediate products.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Apr 10, 2021

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I was all set to come in here and talk about how safe Terran sectors are, but the moment I did that I noticed a FAF rattlesnake blowing up people in Jupiter where both of my money making stations are. Good thing pirates give no fucks about miners because if he wanted to go next door in the asteroid belt and have some fun I have like 60 miners in there at any given time.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

OwlFancier posted:

I noticed that yes, I think it's the only time a stock station does that which is a little odd because Rebirth literally had that as the main defensive feature of stations, dedicated outer platforms with massive XL gun turrets on.

It's quite fun in that you sort of want to build your station defences a lot like a star fort with a bunch of demi lunes outside of the main station for maximum coverage and intercept ability to keep things away from the main core.

I've noticed that sometimes the Alliance shipyard has free floating defense platforms as well.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Ice Fist posted:

if he wanted to go next door in the asteroid belt and have some fun I have like 60 miners in there at any given time.

Oh wow, to think I worried that I might be exhausting its reserves

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
Is there a way to see which items are for sale in a station's Traders' Corner?
Getting all the items to make a Fine Meal is a massive pain in the rear end

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

That sounds like just how production works

It was for research for teleporting my HQ again. The resources in question weren't being used for anything else either. Checked the trade rules and everything, but no idea what the deal was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I do like that L miners that don't have the big mining turret, the way they mine asteroids is to just... ram them and blow them to bits.