Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Shinjiro Otani is definitely the guy hurt the worst by the fact ZERO1 makes tape 4 times a year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Miyahara has great looking knees

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Good effort, old man. Just came up short today

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

It is so funny how much better this year's Carnival has been already than the entirety of last year

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jake Lee better do something cool after he hosed Ashino yesterday

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Really not sold on Lee. This has been fine, but compared to yesterday's main event it's coming up short

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Okay that powerbomb was loving sick and made up for the rest of it

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

jsut turned this on as suwama's theme was playing. whats been worth checking out so far

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

Really not sold on Lee. This has been fine, but compared to yesterday's main event it's coming up short

I'd recommend going to check the Elimination Tag from the opening night of the Dream Power Series tour, the 6th March show. It was the first Total Eclipse match & I think it's cool. For him in singles, I'd say go back to the 3rd January 2020 show to watch Kento vs Lee. Also the 2019 CC final is the bomb

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Thauros posted:

jsut turned this on as suwama's theme was playing. whats been worth checking out so far

Every tournament match has been decent, but if you watch just one match then Miyahara vs Otani is the standout of the show. Next best is probably Ishikawa vs Zeus then the main, Ashino vs Aoyagi & then Sato vs Doi

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Thauros posted:

Both of Otani's matches for sure, Kento vs Zeus was real cool and Doi vs Ishikawa was better than It could have been. Otherwise Lee/Ashino from yesterday made me angry, started so hype before going downhill real fast, so watch that if you care about Lee

forkboy84 posted:

I'd recommend going to check the Elimination Tag from the opening night of the Dream Power Series tour, the 6th March show. It was the first Total Eclipse match & I think it's cool. For him in singles, I'd say go back to the 3rd January 2020 show to watch Kento vs Lee. Also the 2019 CC final is the bomb

I'll stick them in tabs for the future, cheers

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I liked the Otani/Kento match, very hard-hitting. It might be AJPW's mics but I have never heard knees sound so crisp and snappy. I get a little queasy when Kento does his headbutts though

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Lily Catts posted:

I get a little queasy when Kento does his headbutts though

I just tell myself he must work them really well :ohdear:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
gently caress this is the All Japan thread.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Some thoughts for Day 3's tournament matches:
- Lee vs Doi was fine. Kinda hoped Doi would win immediately with the crucifix pin but the match was enjoyable, even if it was rather short and never got out of second gear. Total Eclispe came out at the the end to support both guys which was nice, good to see Tajiri making himself the centre of attention.
- Ishikawa vs Aoyagi I enjoyed a little more than the first, but nothing to write home about. Always appreciate a flash pin to break up the finshers, and Ishikawa had energy for his smaller opponent
- Kento vs Ashino was awesome, Ashino got to be a beast without being immmediately buried like night 1, and he looked awesome with his tenacity with the ankle lock. Still enjoying Kento's clap rhythm, and got a chuckle out of Ashino using it to taunt him. Match of the night.
-Zeus vs Suwama was real fun and hard hitting, wasn't expecting the outcome but I came away feeling satisfied. Hope Suwama was just selling at the end and his jaw really isn't busted, be a shame for the champ to have to forfeit matches they weren't expecting.

Fun show on the whole, two fine matches and two great matches. Probably could have tipped that scale over to a mostly great show if they didn't push Otani/Sato to day 9.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I finally got around to the third night after deliberately easing back on wrestling viewing just a little the past 3 days

I am always a sucker for "heel faction members fave off, one tells the other to lay down, they do but then kick out and almost get a flash pin themselves" trope. One day it'll work and I'll go bananas. Otherwise very solid match, some great knees from Jake.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I just realized Day 3 didn't have an Otani match, which was... strange?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Lily Catts posted:

I just realized Day 3 didn't have an Otani match, which was... strange?

Quite a few shows have just 4 tournament matches on them for whatever reason

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Loved Ashino vs Kento. Love even more the knowledge they have an even better match together in them.

Roll on Day 4 on Saturday. The time sucks for me but I will at least attempt to catch it live because so far Carnival has ruled.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

I just tell myself he must work them really well :ohdear:

There's a reason he always does them on the outside...

forkboy84 posted:

Loved Ashino vs Kento. Love even more the knowledge they have an even better match together in them.

Roll on Day 4 on Saturday. The time sucks for me but I will at least attempt to catch it live because so far Carnival has ruled.

Unfortunately it's going partly head to head with TJPW so I can't catch it live but it's been a great tournament so far

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Yeah, that TJPW show is pretty loaded. I wish one of them was on at 6pm Tokyo so I actually have a chance of seeing it live :(

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I've got this PiP while the TJPW show is on. Hopefully it ends before the Tournament matches, but it's looking increasingly unlikely

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Watching this now and have to say I'm really digging the interactions between Kento and Omori in this NEXTREAM vs TOTAL ECLIPSE match.

Suwama also just kicking Doi's butt with a beautiful backdrop

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 17, 2021

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Ah good, got home from shopping and it's still in the undercard. Thank you Yoshitatsu for having this grappling exhibition(?)

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Fun tournament matches, although I need to rewatch the end of Zues/Sato when the VOD goes up since I was out of the room for the finish. Aoyagi put in another great performance, and Otani/Kento continue to rule

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Still in the process of recalibrating my expectations with the tournament, as only Day 1 has had commentary/unmuted entrance themes so far, while the others are shot by a barebones camera crew. The match quality is still good but I just have to remind myself that this isn't the AJPW of yore.

I liked the Otani/Ishikawa match, just old dudes angrily hitting each other.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Lily Catts posted:

Still in the process of recalibrating my expectations with the tournament, as only Day 1 has had commentary/unmuted entrance themes so far, while the others are shot by a barebones camera crew. The match quality is still good but I just have to remind myself that this isn't the AJPW of yore.

I liked the Otani/Ishikawa match, just old dudes angrily hitting each other.
Yeah, All Japan is an indie and their production...I quite enjoy the single cam shows but I remember watching Smart Mark Video filmed IWAMS shows in 2005 that managed 2 cam shoots.

Fortunately I'm pretty invested in their young wrestlers so it's easy to look past

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

There has to be some money mark somewhere in Japan who grew up watching Kobashi and Misawa they can convince to buy them out.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

There has to be some money mark somewhere in Japan who grew up watching Kobashi and Misawa they can convince to buy them out.

Cyberagent bought NOAH instead

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I want to shout out Dan Tamura, Hikaru Sato & Suwama vs Hokuto Omori, Kuma Arashi & TAJIRI from the 18th. It's nothing revelatory, just an undercard multiman, but it was fun. Kuma Arashi looked quite good in particular and I'm already on the Omori bandwagon

On the other hand, whoever decided to let Yoshitatsu live out his shootstyle fantasy while clearly not being fit to lace Fujiwara's boots should get in the bin.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Apr 20, 2021

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

forkboy84 posted:

Cyberagent bought NOAH instead

they need to get the LEC guy

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Nothing that looks amazing on today's card, although Ashino/Ishikawa and Doi/Otani have potential. I just can't find myself geeting excited to see Kohei Sato again, even if he's going up againt Kento

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

forkboy84 posted:

Finally got around to watching these today, and I think i'm just averse to Total Eclipse after Lee did Ashino dirty on night 1. The elimination match was fine if unspectacular, and the two Kento/Lee singles matches were awesome, it might just be a symptom of what a boss Kento is but I really dig the Lee from two years ago way more than today

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Not sure if it's a symptom of the state of emergency or just a problem with the schedule, but it looks like today's show starts at 13.00 JST, an hour and a half after what was written

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I'm making sure I'm caught up before tomorrow's show which I can catch live (still on at 6:30pm JST) and want to shout out the 2 opening matches from Saturday 24th. NEXTREAM vs Akira & Iwamoto I have at 3.5* & was an entertaining short snappy opener, & Evolution vs Purple Haze had a shock result & was very fun.

Obviously they are not revolutionary but I got a kick out of them both.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

So I'm definitely going to be caught up for tomorrow's show. Gotta say, undercard of Sunday's card has been skippable but Otani Ashino was dope, & Sato Ishikawa exceeded my expectations. Bit headbutt heavy but to be expected with these dudes. Even with Sato looking weirdly emaciated at times, he looks like he's withering away.

Think to sum up this year's tournament the shows have mostly had one HM level match a night & everything else is good-not-great, which is such a step up from 2020 where there wasn't much 3.5* level stuff.

Once I'm done I'm going to update the points graph in the OP that has gone untouched in weeks. Makes me appreciate the work Thauros does during G1 even more

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Feel like I've been watching this CIMA promo for 5 weeks now. Dawg, this isn't Dragon Gate, shut the gently caress up already

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OK, now I'm up to date I've just realised tomorrow's card is VOD & oh well I guess I won't be watching that live.

Anyway, 3 shows to go, here's the standings

Doi is eliminated, probably Shuji & Otani are out, they'd need to win all 3 of their remaining matches & hope the trio of guys on 8 points get no more than 1 win each. We are still set for the Kento vs Lee match to be the one that decides the tournament as far as I can tell.

And for the avoidance of confusion, 28/4 in Yokohama is on VOD (& should have a crowd, as far as I can tell Kanagawa Prefecture isn't in the same SOE as Tokyo), 29/4 is live on AJPW & so is the finals on 5/3 (that's this Thursday & this Monday)

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

One thing that's stood out to me (aside from Ashino being a beast) is Suwama's poor record. Maybe I've just been conditioned from too many G1s, but a 3-3 record doesn't seem like where a company would want their champion to be at.

On the whole I've been enjoying the tournament. Outside of Lee, Doi and Sato I like the competitors, and I've been enjoying Akira and Ryuki Honda in the openers. Well worth the $24 or so for the two months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

considering two of his losses were to the last two Triple Crown champs, one of whom is the ace of the company, I think he could be doing a lot worse. Don't see him losing to Otani or Ashino, and there's no doubt in my mind that Shuji'll gently caress him out of the final on May 3rd, which is fine because we've been needing another Lee/Kento final anyway. No idea why they put Kohei Sato over him, but I can only guess they'll cap that feud off with another singles match after Lee takes the Triple Crown off Suwama lmao

Venomous fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 28, 2021