Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

carry on then posted:

yeah it's got a bit of the destiny "progression by picking up crap" going on

cp2020 was p great for a 90s ttrpgs and p mediocre for a 2020s ttrpg ironically enough so there you go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
disco Elysium is great

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

cyberpunk has a lot of half-baked systems. hacking doesn't really seem to be useful for anything other than trying to navigate the also-broken stealth game until you're like 3/4 up the upgrade tree. None of the perks or upgrades really feel like they change anything. i have never once been inconvenienced by even a second when the police start chasing me.

The city / environment is good enough to overlook all of that crap for a long time, but I've really burned out on it close to the end.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Intel is going to save us from the gamer word

https://devmesh.intel.com/projects/bleep#about-section

https://twitter.com/beesmygod_/status/1379940286927937540?s=21

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

CP2077 was scrapped 2 times actually according to somebody I know who works there, it was supposed to have 3 different characters instead of just Johnny, that varied on your backstory, also backstories were to be more important to the plot than they turned up to be, gonna ask my partner for full insider list she got from her friend and update if there's something more.

Also I really hate that looter shooter mechanic they decided to use, it always makes all of your guns just good enough without the fun of finding the most unbalanced ones or just having few that are overpowered but with things like really limited ammo

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

But you can get a sniper rifle that shoots through walls and combine it with a skill that lets you see enemies through walls. that reminds me I quit my last playthrough because I carelessly picked up -99999999999 sniper bullets off a corpse so I could never snipe again

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i wonder what grief mike pondsmith got and/or gave from/to cdpr

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i wonder what grief mike pondsmith got and/or gave from/to cdpr

from what I heard first game was scrapped because the management was arguing with him, he was not satisfied with the direction they are going and they wanted to do it on their own terms and they removed most of his ideas

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
AIUI they spent six years making an actual RPG along the lines of Deus Ex and then suddenly management came in and said "actually no we want you to make The Ubisoft Game btw we're kinda behind schedule so after you scrap literally everything you've spent the past six years working on we're going to need you to go to manufacturing within eighteen months so weekends are officially cancelled now kthxbye *awards self a 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 zloti bonus for visionary leadership*"

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Sapozhnik posted:

AIUI they spent six years making an actual RPG along the lines of Deus Ex and then suddenly management came in and said "actually no we want you to make The Ubisoft Game btw we're kinda behind schedule so after you scrap literally everything you've spent the past six years working on we're going to need you to go to manufacturing within eighteen months so weekends are officially cancelled now kthxbye *awards self a 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 zloti bonus for visionary leadership*"

release the cdprojekt cut

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I know CDPR got bigtime hacked not so long back; though I doubt there'd be anything playable in the dump it might be that there's some historical design docs to look at appear at some point in the future.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

Sapozhnik posted:

they started development on the game when Keanu Reeve's was on board and they just straight up couldnt recreate what the cinematic demos had into the Witcher 3 engine.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
cyberpunk 2077 was announced before i graduated high school lol

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
we all got cyber punk’d

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

i interviewed in 2017 for a system designer position for their equipment and cybernetik systems and they had me create an inventory and crafting system from scratch in unity, and then i didnt go through anymore interview process after turning in the test because i also didnt want to have to move Poland.

then they released the game with the Witcher 3 inventory system reskinned into Cyberpunk.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Bideo James posted:

i interviewed in 2017 for a system designer position for their equipment and cybernetik systems and they had me create an inventory and crafting system from scratch in unity, and then i didnt go through anymore interview process after turning in the test because i also didnt want to have to move Poland.

then they released the game with the Witcher 3 inventory system reskinned into Cyberpunk.

sounds like u got cyberpunked

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

at least they didn't just swipe your interview submission i guess

(tbh i doubt that actually happens with any frequency but it's still funny to think about)

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

Achmed Jones posted:

at least they didn't just swipe your interview submission i guess

(tbh i doubt that actually happens with any frequency but it's still funny to think about)

its how mobile game dev companies exist at this point

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

Sapozhnik posted:

basically yes, but it's spelled "złoty" or just use PLN

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Mad Wack posted:

ya Night City is honestly one of the best video game cities ever for how fully realized it is as a place - shame about the rest of the game

they worked with a city planner to build a realistic city too

Mad Wack posted:

i truly believe cdpr got high on their own farts and thought the multiplayer would carry the game ala gta 5, you can see it in the way they designed all the open world side stuff

and that makes complete sense. the city building and world design teams really knocked it out of the park and the everything else is a mad dash to pivot and scale back

Kuvo posted:

started it last week (like 25ish hours into it) and im having a good time so far. if nothing else cdpr nailed the aesthetic; i got high the other day and spent 2 hours just walkin around and looking at things. biggest complaint so far is that there's not enough incentive for doing things stealthily/non-lethally. 95% of the side quests can be solved by just running in and shooting everyone in the missions area.

walking the city was a nice lockdown experience. I kept the crowds cranked to max for most of my play through just to see bustle

as for stealth, if you go big into hacking you can stealth the poo poo out of things or destroy groups through walls, but early-game and small group setups all encourage run and gun

i don't dislike it because the scenarios are eventually the same, but for quests i'd like more options. at least the ones with fire escapes and garage entrances are often stealth friendly but i'd find those well after clearing the building

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i want to complete the boxing matches and the last one is tougher, so i've been streets of raging the random gangoons of night city

the 6th streeters talk the biggest smack for the easiest beat downs :allears:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i must be in soviet russia tonight because spire is slaying me

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NoneMoreNegative posted:

* All the Fallout4 LPs I've watched over the latest lockdown have got me feeling like some more Vault Tec fun - I know FO76 was a shitshow when it launched, has it been redeemed enough to want to play through the main story as single-playerishly as possible?

Decided to try this while it's cheap - put a few hours in and it's OK. The world is recognisably Fallout even if its hugely more green and living than the usual post-apoc brown deserts, it feels a bit like the Far Cry 5 New Dawn sidequel.

It's very slow going, I'm just shy of level 10 and have only recently moved off pipe guns, in previous Fallouts I don't think I used one for more than the first 15 minutes (or not at all if you like the 10mm pistol enough). Maybe its because I've spent more than half my playtime just map-wandering and finding cool unmarked stuff (tonight's choice find: a big bunker in the basement of a farmhouse with a bunch of regular ghouls and a level20 glowing fucker that took a bit of effort to nail)

The servers I've joined on have been underpopulated enough that seeing another player is a novelty and not a bother - you just wave and move on. Haven't had anyone take a shot at me yet, but I did have a level1 player wander into my camp / house while I was building a new roof looking lost :o:

The missions and general openworld stuff feels fine, but I'm guessing that's down to there actually being NPCs in the world after being patched in, I can't imagine playing this and there not being other NPC people at all when it was launched.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

the first time i played new vegas i was so enamored with the first lazergun i found (and later plasma) that i never went back to shooting primitive hunks of metal out of an exploding sewage pipe

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Divinity Original Sin 2 first blind play in coop with friends: holy poo poo this game is probs the best coop I have ever played.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Roosevelt posted:

the first time i played new vegas i was so enamored with the first lazergun i found (and later plasma) that i never went back to shooting primitive hunks of metal out of an exploding sewage pipe

Plasma is always fun but Gauss rifles are where it's at :mmmhmm:

Big fan (whoooooosh whooooooosh whoooooooosh) of blowing Wanamingos to smithereens with a BB gun, though. I forget if the 3D Falls Out have good BB guns?

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
It never feels fair that rifle skills don't transfer over to energy weapons, by styropyro's laser shotgun videos do sort of sell the point.

TimWinter fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 10, 2021

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
For instance, I can imagine a traditional gun nut worrying about muzzle safety and trigger discipline, and completely blind himself by not wearing the right color black goggles

https://i.imgur.com/ANUd0gV.mp4

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Roosevelt posted:

actually yeah I picked up a basic laser pistol somewhere along the line and at 1st glance it didn't look great for damage output, but it has a 30 shot clip, very little recoil and will fire almost as fast as you can haul on the trigger so it was an unexpected surprise. I never did much with energy weapons in FNV/FO4 but this was a nice find. Only problem is cell ammo is sparse to find and expensive to buy / craft (at least at low levels so far)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the first time i played fallout, i happened upon the random encounter that's a ufo. it had an alien blaster and iirc i used that for the rest of the game. i was massively overpowered for the next, like, 50% of the game or something and it was a lot of fun. i can honestly say that if i hadn't hit that random encounter i very likely wouldn't have the tremendous love of fallout that i do today. well. i guess i'm not that into more recent games but i remember it very fondly and will buy whatever non-mmo game comes out even if i don't play it much

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

the first time i played fallout, i happened upon the random encounter that's a ufo. it had an alien blaster and iirc i used that for the rest of the game. i was massively overpowered for the next, like, 50% of the game or something and it was a lot of fun. i can honestly say that if i hadn't hit that random encounter i very likely wouldn't have the tremendous love of fallout that i do today. well. i guess i'm not that into more recent games but i remember it very fondly and will buy whatever non-mmo game comes out even if i don't play it much

Every time I play a new Fallout game, I give my character 9 or 10 luck. (Used to be it affected how often you got special random encounters, probably not so since Fallout 3 but it has other advantages.)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

hell yeah, I loved that alien blaster. i had a similar experience the very first time I played binding of isaac on my friends computer. I found the "epic fetus" item that gives you unlimited missiles and then i finished a complete run. then I bought the game myself and never managed to get to the end even once lol

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Every time I play a new Fallout game, I give my character 9 or 10 luck. (Used to be it affected how often you got special random encounters, probably not so since Fallout 3 but it has other advantages.)
9 luck and 9 agility and playing all combat in vats is my favourite way to fallout

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
these posts got me feeling nostalgic, might have to play through fallout 1 and 2 again.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Kuvo posted:

im playing on whatever the default difficulty is so maybe i should try turning it up a notch.

also lol
https://twitter.com/kuvosa/status/1379684455753805825

I played it on hard mode and tbh it just means you die faster because you can still one shot pretty much every enemy by getting a tech rifle and the eyes that highlight enemies and charge charge head shotting them through cover.

I also finally got round to finishing the last mission and my thoughts are the same. The campaign is v. Good but way too short and the side missions are very 2 dimensional except for a few.

Like the kerry eurodyne story was pretty good, I enjoyed that one.

Also lol that as one of the endings you can just kill urself and you get a credit sequence of every other character calling you up to call you a selfish idiot.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Fatal Error posted:

these posts got me feeling nostalgic, might have to play through fallout 1 and 2 again.

Feel this way about every 6 months. They're a bit janky these days but they're also like ultimate comfort food.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
monster hunter rise is good, i love bouncing around like scrooge mcduck with the insect glaive

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Plasma is always fun but Gauss rifles are where it's at :mmmhmm:

lol I don't know if the scale got messed up by the devs or if its meant to be this way but in FO4VR the Gauss Rifle with the silencer mod is like five feet long, waving it around in proper stereoscopic vision is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
fo4vr became abandonware the second it was released. i tried playing it w/ the index a while back and the controls dont work properly