Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

we're here for the boys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copy
Jul 26, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

Shonen Jump is good actually. Can’t wait for the Sakamoto Days anime.

Edit: if a bunch of other publishers want to give me access to a ton of their catalogue for only 2$ a month maybe Shonen Jump won’t be as good, let me know when that happens.

Yes to both of these. Sakamoto is fun so far and the only other game I really know of for licensed simulpub is shuiesha, which just seems like digital jump but with less reliable access to old stuff.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

we're here for the boys

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
TWEWY’s adaptation was a bit rushed to start and they’ve really toned down how much of a jerk Neku is at the start but it seems solid so far and it’s also really loving pretty

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I wasn't very impressed by TWEWY's first ep. The way the days work made sense when it was a game, but when you make it into an anime the pacing gets really weird. The 2d animation was good, but the cg was loving dire, and even if it hadn't been, making the Noise 3d is like the worst decision they could have made. the Noise are supposed to have body parts made out of tattoos, their designs cannot work three-dimensionally and lo and behold, they look like poo poo.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Blue Reflection Ray episode 1 sure felt like the game in places, which is it had some interesting ideas but presented in a way that was less than...ideal. First episode felt meandering and directionless in places and Also no actual henshin sequence in the first episode!

Stuff I could put up with in the game cause actual magical girl RPG's in English are rare. But anime? Yeah much tougher field

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

First episode felt meandering and directionless
so exactly what i want from blue reflection

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Droyer posted:

I wasn't very impressed by TWEWY's first ep. The way the days work made sense when it was a game, but when you make it into an anime the pacing gets really weird. The 2d animation was good, but the cg was loving dire, and even if it hadn't been, making the Noise 3d is like the worst decision they could have made. the Noise are supposed to have body parts made out of tattoos, their designs cannot work three-dimensionally and lo and behold, they look like poo poo.

The whole anime is 3d.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

TWEWY is definitely moving at an incredibly fast pace. I'm guessing it's just one cour?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

MonsterEnvy posted:

The whole anime is 3d.

Dunno about TWEWY in particular, but it's not uncommon for full CGI anime to have some 2D elements, like for non-recurring background characters. Beastars and Bang Dream S2/3 do this, though how well it blends in will vary.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
a thing I really liked about Back Arrow is that our group decided to name their abilities for tactical/coordination reasons, then suddenly everyone else is also shouting out attack names. Very dumb, cool and good.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
this season I'll check out these, i suppose

Odd Taxi
Jouran: The Princess of Snow and Blood
Shadows House
Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they redesigned Frogger again?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
A thing that probably has zero meaning that I've never picked up on originally is that Noise frogs have three fingers while that's a very rare occurence in the frog world

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Willo567 posted:

i'm going to be very depressed if zls revenge ends with them passing on.

if that happens, i'm writing an alternate ending fanfic where that doesn't happen and they get to live happily as zombies forever, with the public accepting them as such

i would read this

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
One thing that struck me as kinda odd about the game for Blue Reflection is she starts off with this happy hoppy run cycle which is not only a little odd because humans don't run like that but (spoilered in case this hasn't happened in the first episode) she shouldn't be able to when you realize she actually has a serious knee injury that she's still recovering from.

If I very slightly nudge the stick she will walk but its agonizingly slow but her run cycle is a little off putting.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

dogsicle posted:

bootyshorts demon lords

they're pretty popular of late

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYmha1o5eH0

New cestus preview reveals it's actually not entirely cgi!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It looks like the early stuff in the story is drawn, which will make for an awkward series where halfway through it's suddenly cgi

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

TWEWY’s adaptation was a bit rushed to start and they’ve really toned down how much of a jerk Neku is at the start but it seems solid so far and it’s also really loving pretty

From what I've read, Neku being a jerk was more of a thing in the English localization of the game. In the Japanese version, he's just a downer loner type of kid which fits with how the anime is portraying him.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i procrastinated the Shadows House thread long enough for it to be premiere day

so if you would like, the first episode can be discussed here once it hits Funimation etc.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New thread :toot:

quote:

:siren:Shadows House
Cloverworks | Kazuki Oohashi | Toshiya Oono | Slice of Life, Supernatural, Seinen | Manga | Apr 11, 2021
In SHADOWS HOUSE, a faceless clan lives in a large mansion, masquerading as nobles. Their caretakers are living dolls who spend their days cleaning up the dirt the tenants leave behind. But there’s a deeper mystery at play…and the secret of the house will be unveiled.
PV
Thread

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYmha1o5eH0

New cestus preview reveals it's actually not entirely cgi!

I am deeply confused by this mixture.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I mistakenly thought that Blue Reflection Ray was going to be an adaptation of the game's plot rather than telling it's own story. Having just completed the game I appreciate the design consistency with title cards and loading screen symbols.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
So, if the first episode of "Slime Taoshite 300-nen, Shiranai Uchi ni Level Max ni Nattemashita" is anything to go on, it's going to be a delightful little slice-of-life story for the Spring.

EDIT:

Oh crap, the VA for the main character is Aoi Yuki. SHE'S EVERYWHERE!

Doodles fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 10, 2021

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Doodles posted:

So, if the first episode of "Slime Taoshite 300-nen, Shiranai Uchi ni Level Max ni Nattemashita" is anything to go on, it's going to be a delightful little slice-of-life story for the Spring.

EDIT:

It is exactly the type of low key show I need right now.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Doodles posted:

EDIT:

:allears: why yes please I would like another Aoi Yuki protagonist show.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Shadows House is good, but for those unfamiliar with it, maybe wait for the second episode too and watch together since the first episode is basically only the two primary characters interacting and nothing more than glimpses in the OP and ED of the rest of the main cast.

Nagatoro-san is exactly as expected, no more, no less, though I feel like they're adding a bit more of the dere side of the titular character earlier.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Vivy gets really suddenly heavy in the second episode :ohdear:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, 86 started today.

It's been pretty hyped up in the light novel community. It's a series that's not primarily an isekai, harem comedy, or based on a pre-existing property, so it being a big success stood out. And watching the first episode...

Yeah, easy to see why people were excited.

The big twist in the first episode is given away by promotional material, but it's still solid even knowing that. We get plenty of time to establish our primary protagonist and show how she handles her job, we get some tension with her relationship with her new assignment, and we see why she's a better person than her coworkers. We don't get as much time with the rest of the main cast, but they're given a few scenes that establish their general deal, and the fight scenes give a third tone distinct from either set of protagonists in their downtime, complete with a third color palette. (Subdued for Major Vladilena, bright and earthy for the 86 team, and dark for combat).

It's being hyped as one of the big anime of the season. No idea if it'll succeed going forward, but at least the start is enough to make me want to see more.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

chiasaur11 posted:

It's a series that's not primarily an isekai, harem comedy, or based on a pre-existing property

Is that allowed?

Pretty good first episode, always down for a little war is heck; no idea where it'll go from the status quo established. While I'd normally expect our two leads to overcome the division between them, the scenario presented is an, uh, awfully high barrier to overcome. Dunno if the long game is revolution or just a grim march to death, but I'm interested in finding out.

Spring season is shaping up better than I expected before it got here: Vivy, Dynazenon, and Odd Taxi are all doing cool stuff with their storytelling, and Shadows House had a nice debut today as well. I think the last series yet to debut that I was anticipating is To Your Eternity, hope it stacks up.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Mashiro no Oto's second episode had a really good duet with the main character and his mother:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oUM5GEVT2s

If the performances in this show keep being so good, this might be one of my favorites this season.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
A new thread is up for Bishounen Tanteidan (Pretty Boy's Detective Club)

quote:

:siren:Bishounen Tanteidan
Shaft | Akiyuki Shinbou ; Hajime Ootani | ... | Mystery, School | Novel | Apr 11, 2021
Mayumi Dojima, a second-year student at the exclusive Yubiwa Academy middle school, has lost something—a star she glimpsed just once, ten long years ago. But help is on the way, in the form of the unofficial, secretive, and thoroughly mysterious Pretty Boy Detective Club! Rumored to solve problems within the school (most of which they themselves might as well created) for reasons aesthetic rather than financial, these five gorgeous boys sweep Mayumi into their world of excitement, danger, and overwhelming beauty.
PV
Thread

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Viridiant posted:

Mashiro no Oto's second episode had a really good duet with the main character and his mother:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oUM5GEVT2s

If the performances in this show keep being so good, this might be one of my favorites this season.

im just praying the milf stays a regular character

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

86's still pretty standard with its overall beats and falls into the general LN trend of openly being a mix of genre stuff the author likes so I wouldn't put it on a pedestal or anything, but it's alright.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The tone for Mashiro no Oto episode 2 was a lot more even (Umeko makes way more sense with context rather than just doing a gag break-in with teargas and secret service agents) so my worries that it was going to veer off into offbeat comedy were unfounded. It doesn't quite scratch the Sangatsu no Lion itch but it's fun and the music is great.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Pretty Boy's Detective Club was great. Can't wait for more.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Slime was good and glad it avoided the pitfalls the last time I was looking forward to a LN anime adaptation (eyes the Abilities Average anime)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm interested to see where TWEWY goes since it already has some minor divergences from the game, possibly just for the sake of brevity. It looks pretty good in motion, though I'll agree the noise aren't great.Making something with a completely out of place art style can work, but it's not really landing here. The graffiti limbs thing I think would've been almost impossible to really translate into a 3d look.