Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese

CPL593H posted:

watching tales from the crypt right now

rip prince philip

g-c reacted to this post: :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Watching the 2004 NBA Finals.

Rip Hamilton.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I Before E posted:

Rip Hamilton.

Lmbo

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Watched DodgeBall: A True Underdog Story.

Rip Torn

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I Before E posted:

Rip Hamilton.

Trail Blazers fans watching their team eliminated from the NBA playoffs each year.

RIP (this) city.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/zuza_real/status/1380660745923403783?s=20

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

This would make pretty much every movie better.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Can we all stop pretending the guy who made the song about murdering gay men is cool now?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

Can we all stop pretending the guy who made the song about murdering gay men is cool now?

I don't know who you're talking about, but okay?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I don't know who you're talking about, but okay?

DMX. All day today people keep talking about how cool he is and I've just tried to ignore it but I've finally reached my limit.

quote:

Last I heard, y'all ****** was havin sex, with the SAME sex
I show no love, to homo thugs
Empty out, reloaded and throw more slugs
How you gonna explain fuckin a man?
Even if we squashed the beef, I ain't touchin ya hand
I don't buck with chumps, for those to been to jail
That's the cat with the Kool-Aid on his lips and pumps
I don't gently caress with ****** that think they broads
Only know how to be ONE WAY, that's the dog
I know how to get down, know how to BITE
Bark very little, but I know HOW TO FIGHT
I know how to chase a cat up in the tree
MAN, I GIVE Y'ALL ****** THE B'INESS FOR FUCKIN WIT ME, IS YOU CRAZY?!?

And that's just one thing. He was an all around terrible person and his songs weren't exactly kind to women either.

He also wrote this gem:

quote:

And if you got a daughter older than 15, I'ma rape her
Take her on the livin' room floor, right there in front of you
Then ask you seriously, whatchu wanna do?
Frustratin', isn't it? Wanna kill me, but I'ma kill you
Now watch me gently caress just a little while longer, please, will you?
This is revenge, know that before you die
And despite how much I hate to see a grown man cry
I'ma make you suffer, see your rear end in Hell, motherfucker
Click, boom-boom, see your rear end in hell

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 10, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

DMX. All day today people keep talking about how cool he is and I've just tried to ignore it but I've finally reached my limit.

And that's just one thing. He was an all around terrible person and his songs weren't exactly kind to women either.

Ehh, I ain't gonna say you are wrong to be angry at him, but he came from a hosed up life and seemed to mostly try and better himself and would often fail, including clearly at the end of his life. So it's not hard to get why people feel a bit hosed up about his death.

I think I knew about the homophobia but news about his overdose was the first time I thought about him in over a decade and then his death made me remember that "Who We Be" was an important song to me when I was in high school. He's not so much as a role model as a cautionary tale and example of how hosed our own society is. He first got dosed with weed laced with crack when he was 14 from someone he looked up to as a mentor. Again, it doesn't excuse his faults but I think helps explain why other people aren't as dismissive of him as you are.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Ehh, I ain't gonna say you are wrong to be angry at him, but he came from a hosed up life and seemed to mostly try and better himself and would often fail, including clearly at the end of his life. So it's not hard to get why people feel a bit hosed up about his death.

I think I knew about the homophobia but news about his overdose was the first time I thought about him in over a decade and then his death made me remember that "Who We Be" was an important song to me when I was in high school. He's not so much as a role model as a cautionary tale and example of how hosed our own society is. He first got dosed with weed laced with crack when he was 14 from someone he looked up to as a mentor. Again, it doesn't excuse his faults but I think helps explain why other people aren't as dismissive of him as you are.

Oh I know but I think saying it was drugs and/or mental illness is kind of bullshit and it does a disservice to people who have problems with drugs and mental illness. Lots of people have lovely lives and still manage not to be dickheads. This is just a drop in the bucket. I'm not saying "Wooo hooo, I'm glad he died." because I'm not glad he died but holy poo poo people are acting like he was just the coolest guy ever and his terrible garbage is right in the songs so it's not like we can do the old "Separate the art from the artist." thing here.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

DMX's homophobia was above and beyond the baseline of casual homophobia all of western culture had back in the day, and well beyond what even the infamously homophobic rap culture of the early 2000s had going on. It's like trying to say Lovecraft's racism was just of its time.

The guy sucked and he never apologized for the awful poo poo he said about gay people as far as I'm aware. I'm not gonna judge anyone for being able to look past that and enjoy his work or respect other things about him but I'm not gonna pretend he was a cool guy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

He died of a drug overdose at fifty and made some music people liked. So people who liked his music feel bumbed out about it. Bringing up the Lovecraft comparison is slightly ironic if your trying to dismiss his cultural worth since Lovecraft is absolutely still relevant to pop culture despite his racism. There was just a show about dealing with Lovecraftian horror and the racism inherent in it 2 years ago.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm not trying to dismiss his cultural worth at all.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The streets are ugly. America likes to paint it up to sell it to the masses, but it’s rife with violence, misogyny, homophobia, sexual abuse, drug abuse, and a ton of other elements the underclass are exposed to every loving day in this country. DMX was a reflection of the heart of America. Ugliness and all. To ask him to be any less would be asking for the lies they sells you every day.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNbioALBBH7/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

https://benton-kris-r.medium.com/i-was-groomed-by-vincent-gallo-345b39bc1f0

quote:

I Was Groomed By Vincent Gallo

Guy was always such a oval office

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Skwirl posted:

He died of a drug overdose at fifty and made some music people liked. So people who liked his music feel bumbed out about it. Bringing up the Lovecraft comparison is slightly ironic if your trying to dismiss his cultural worth since Lovecraft is absolutely still relevant to pop culture despite his racism. There was just a show about dealing with Lovecraftian horror and the racism inherent in it 2 years ago.
Lovecraft Country aired August-October 2020. That’s less than 6 months ago. Got you some quarantine brain. :laugh:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Oh I know but I think saying it was drugs and/or mental illness is kind of bullshit and it does a disservice to people who have problems with drugs and mental illness. Lots of people have lovely lives and still manage not to be dickheads.

I find in situations like this it is less worthwhile to ask whether other people have had lovely lives and managed not to be dickheads, but to ask whether I myself have had a hard enough life that I am in a position to judge. And I don't want to presume, but I think it's likely that very few of us here had as hard a life as Earl Simmons.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/mannyfidel/status/1380644011103358977?s=20

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

ruddiger posted:

The streets are ugly. America likes to paint it up to sell it to the masses, but it’s rife with violence, misogyny, homophobia, sexual abuse, drug abuse, and a ton of other elements the underclass are exposed to every loving day in this country. DMX was a reflection of the heart of America. Ugliness and all. To ask him to be any less would be asking for the lies they sells you every day.

Yeah, no, there’s no excuse to be made for rapping about killing gay men just for being gay.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

ruddiger posted:

This is just plain loving stupid. That's like saying people should have free reign to openly go around using slurs in public because that's just what society is, maaaaaaaaan. His songs weren't some deconstructionist take on these things. It was just one of those things.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I find in situations like this it is less worthwhile to ask whether other people have had lovely lives and managed not to be dickheads, but to ask whether I myself have had a hard enough life that I am in a position to judge. And I don't want to presume, but I think it's likely that very few of us here had as hard a life as Earl Simmons.

Okay but why should anyone celebrate his vile music? Because that's what everyone is doing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Who's celebrating his vile music?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Who's celebrating his vile music?

Everybody. It's why I even brought it up. If the discussion was "This man had a terrible life and his life and passing are sad." I wouldn't really care.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CPL593H posted:

Everybody. It's why I even brought it up. If the discussion was "This man had a terrible life and his life and passing are sad." I wouldn't really care.

Do you think people are celebrating these lyrics from these two specific songs from 18 years ago or demanding that you ignore them?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

CPL593H posted:

No one’s pretending. If you’re so outraged by his work, you can take quiet, preferably silent, comfort in the fact that he’s dead now and can’t make any more of it and move on.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

You know what? This is going to continue to be a circular conversation, it's exhausting, and frankly I don't have the energy for it. I'm going to take a break from this thread for a few days while you idiots circle jerk about how I'm over reacting or that it's not a big deal for whatever the gently caress reason.

Enjoy.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Okay but why should anyone celebrate his vile music? Because that's what everyone is doing.

See, that's a worthwhile question. There are no shortage of pieces going around about what made his music such a big deal to so many people, this one is a good primer.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If you're saying he's not worth praising or celebrating because he wrote homophobic lyrics, that's your prerogative. You certainly don't need to be interested in DMX. However, if you're saying that's what people are celebrating, ala Woody Allen's Manhattan, I don't really think that's the case.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The man wrote songs about how he hates CPL and wats to kill him. This really shouldn't be a debate.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The interesting thing is that DMX (unwittingly) argues that there's no contradiction between being LGBT and being a "thug" - that the thug life is fundamentally inclusive, and this just makes him upset.

And the reason X is upset is that, where other thugs view themselves as men and women, he evidently views himself as subhuman and beneath gestures of respect. Like, he straight up says that if someone offers him a hand, he'll bite it like a dog.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

CPL593H posted:

Oh I know but I think saying it was drugs and/or mental illness is kind of bullshit and it does a disservice to people who have problems with drugs and mental illness. Lots of people have lovely lives and still manage not to be dickheads. This is just a drop in the bucket. I'm not saying "Wooo hooo, I'm glad he died." because I'm not glad he died but holy poo poo people are acting like he was just the coolest guy ever and his terrible garbage is right in the songs so it's not like we can do the old "Separate the art from the artist." thing here.

While it's true that addiction and mental health issues aren't deterministic, people also don't exactly get to choose how their trauma manifests or which elements of toxic culture get deeply internalized and integrated into defensive psychic structures. Racism, homophobia, misogyny etc. are themselves a form of projective delusion. DMX's homophobia isn't excusable, but it can be understood as not only a personal moral failing, but also a failure of his social environment. If the argument is that these aspects of who he was mean the he shouldn't be grieved, I can understand people taking issue with that.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 10, 2021

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

DMX was in some good action films.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CPL593H posted:

You know what? This is going to continue to be a circular conversation, it's exhausting, and frankly I don't have the energy for it. I'm going to take a break from this thread for a few days while you idiots circle jerk about how I'm over reacting or that it's not a big deal for whatever the gently caress reason.

Enjoy.

I know you were probably just venting about what you saw elsewhere cause like one poster ITT mentioned they were watching Belly and RIP'ed DMX. Although, I guess it's true that I've never seen Belly so I can't comment on its homophobic or misogynistic content. Still, maybe the people in here don't need to be lectured about something that upset you outside of this thread.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

DMX was a great musician and is an important part of American music history. The homophobic verse is bad, and any serious retrospective of him would have to deal with the problematic elements of his art. But in the immediate wake of the death of a figure like DMX, simple sentiments like "RIP DMX" hardly feel inappropriate

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

If you’re so outraged by his work, you can take quiet, preferably silent, comfort in the fact that he’s dead now and can’t make any more of it and move on.

Guy A. Person posted:

Still, maybe the people in here don't need to be lectured about something that upset you outside of this thread.
Maybe you can skip over the post instead of lecturing a person who is venting and telling them how they really shouldn't be offended, but if they must be offended then maybe they should at least have the decency to be offended somewhere else and not near you.

Most of this thread is people bringing in random poo poo from the outside to vent, rant or praise about, why does that vent not belong here?

"Please CPL593H, be tolerant of this homophobe who had a hard life, also please shut up, I don't have to care about your hardships."

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Y’all act like the dude bumped a 20 year old Romeo Must Die thread to shame people or something. Chill out dudes we all need to vent in these stressful times.

Edit page 69 lol

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I actually rented Romeo Must Die from the library recently before any of this news. I was just in the mood for a Jet Li movie and I realized I'd never seen that one. Haven't watched it yet. Eerie.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Maybe you can skip over the post instead of lecturing a person who is venting and telling them how they really shouldn't be offended, but if they must be offended then maybe they should at least have the decency to be offended somewhere else and not near you.

Most of this thread is people bringing in random poo poo from the outside to vent, rant or praise about, why does that vent not belong here?

"Please CPL593H, be tolerant of this homophobe who had a hard life, also please shut up, I don't have to care about your hardships."

The venting is totally fine. CPL accused everyone here of circle jerking and stormed off because other posters were like, discussing the topic in a chat thread*. Nobody in here was doing the thing CPL was presumably pissed about, so yelling at people in here seems misdirected.

* editing to note that people started discussing it after CPL brought it up in the first place

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

If someone wants a place to go where they can disparage an artist’s name the day after his premature death, I honestly do get that, but I personally would not like this thread to be that place.