Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

VectorSigma posted:

How sensitive are you to sound latency? The CX adds 60-ish ms lag to any audio passing through it, even with eARC. This isn't an issue with video content, but with real-time output you'll definitely see things like gunshot sounds occurring noticeably later than the muzzle flash.

Yeah, I looked into eARC and noticed the smallest bit of lag.

The 120 came to mind for THPS, but also when I'm playing pc games on the TV. Seems like I'll need to bite the bullet and upgrade my receiver at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Kaddish posted:

Are there actually games on PS5 that are supposed to run at 4K/120?

Not at 4k native, but there are games that support 120hz like Call of Duty, Fortnite and Dirt, some of those run at a higher than 1080p resolution too.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

VectorSigma posted:

How sensitive are you to sound latency? The CX adds 60-ish ms lag to any audio passing through it, even with eARC. This isn't an issue with video content, but with real-time output you'll definitely see things like gunshot sounds occurring noticeably later than the muzzle flash.

Are there TVs that don’t have this latency issue with eARC or is it just part of the deal?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Installed the Peacock app and 2 hours later… a stuck pixel! Coincidence? Yeah probably, but annoying nonetheless. Hopefully it’ll unstick at some point.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Via Engadget:

quote:

After going a long time without any hardware updates, Logitech has finally announced what many of us suspected was coming. TechHive points out a post on the support forums confirming that Logitech will no longer manufacture Harmony remotes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That really really sucks since there's nothing else in the market even close.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I've gotten used to using activities. Hopefully my remote doesn't suddenly die.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I could get by with Alexa and the phone app, but if the hub died... ugh.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
loving hell. I guess this was inevitable due to smart TVs and streaming covering most people's needs but it still sucks for people with an AVR and several devices like me. HDMI-CEC is still a buggy crapshoot and I really don't want to use my massive Sony TV remote in general.

I need to pick up a spare Companion before they're all sold off.

Is there anything else on the market like the harmony line?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

gently caress and I literally posted in here like this week asking if they're still the best option. Guess I'm going to have to have like 5 remotes soon?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

CEC has been generally great for me but since I remodeled the living room and moved everything a month or two ago, now when I turn on the Shield my TV turns on but then full reboots every time, so thats cool.

gently caress logitech but aside from the above issue I just rely on CEC and sometimes phone apps to control things when I need them. What do you all have in your setups? I just have TV, AVR, Shield, XSX and PS3.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

LG TV, Pioneer receiver, Xbox One, PS5, Switch, gaming PC, record player, Apple TV, and Fire Stick.

Not looking forward to this change.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Game controllers power on the consoles which then power on the TV and set it to the correct input. TV remote controls the volume of the receiver. CEC ftw.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, LG TV, Shield 2019, Google TV, Roku, Pioneer dp-ub820.

I've never seen HDMI CEC reliably power on the correct components and switch to all the correct inputs. I'm not even sure how that's supposed to work when I'm jumping from one device to another when everything is already powered on.

Really hope someone steps into the market and picks up the slack because a remote without activities is a nightmare in usability.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

bull3964 posted:

I've never seen HDMI CEC reliably power on the correct components and switch to all the correct inputs. I'm not even sure how that's supposed to work when I'm jumping from one device to another when everything is already powered on.
Tell that to my cat who steps on my AppleTV remote while I'm watching the tense basketball game on my cable box.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, LG TV, Shield 2019, Google TV, Roku, Pioneer dp-ub820.

Really hope someone steps into the market and picks up the slack because a remote without activities is a nightmare in usability.

See aside from my above issue of late, it works perfect for me. Are you sure its enabled on every device? Firmware updated?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yes all firmware is updated. CEC is still poo poo if you have anything more complex than a 1 or 2 device use case. Inputs across the whole chain don't always switch or they'll switch automatically when a device decides to wake up to do other things like update.

That's not too mention other macros and such that I have programmed to do more complex functions.

I just have to hope that my two hubs last forever.

American McGay posted:

Tell that to my cat who steps on my AppleTV remote while I'm watching the tense basketball game on my cable box.

That seems like a compelling example why it's an issue.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 10, 2021

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Thoughts on wall mount vs. on an entertainment center stand? I have a 55" TCL 6 series on a stand right now, soon I'm moving into a condo I own for the first time so might be looking to wall mount. Is wall mount the far-and-away goon favorite?

Right now there's no room for a sound bar underneath, so might be looking to add that if I put it on the wall.

Previous owner went the wall mount route:

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Is there any reason nowadays to get an Shield (I have a 2016-17?) with how decently great the LG webOS is?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Depends on your TV, the 2019 Shield is the only way I can get Dolby Vision and Atmos from streaming.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Shadowhand00 posted:

Is there any reason nowadays to get an Shield (I have a 2016-17?) with how decently great the LG webOS is?

One reason would be the one click exploit floating around for LG TVs. It could be exploited by a malicious ad in a frame while you’re on your home network and your TV would be part of a botnet for as long as you own it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Best Buy (or the third party they contracted to handle repairs in my area) been taking forever to give me an answer on my warranty, they finally call yesterday and its actually BB and not the third party guy and I figure they are gonna be like nah you gotta live with it, but they say there are no parts available for my TV (850E) and I'm getting my money back towards a new one. Looking like the TCL 6 series I believe.

Heres the issue I was having, it was like it since I got it but it was an open box deal. I figure they thought the next person wouldn't notice it and just let it go

Note the vertical blotches as if someone jizzed on the screen or something. (it isn't just dirty) Admittedly a bit difficult to capture in images as they requested but its super plain to see in certain things, especially hockey which is the number one use for the drat thing.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

codo27 posted:

Best Buy (or the third party they contracted to handle repairs in my area) been taking forever to give me an answer on my warranty, they finally call yesterday and its actually BB and not the third party guy and I figure they are gonna be like nah you gotta live with it, but they say there are no parts available for my TV (850E) and I'm getting my money back towards a new one. Looking like the TCL 6 series I believe.

Heres the issue I was having, it was like it since I got it but it was an open box deal. I figure they thought the next person wouldn't notice it and just let it go

Note the vertical blotches as if someone jizzed on the screen or something. (it isn't just dirty) Admittedly a bit difficult to capture in images as they requested but its super plain to see in certain things, especially hockey which is the number one use for the drat thing.

Do you see this with normal content that is not a static image of one color?

I hate to tell ya, but I have a TCL 6 series and they all have panel uniformity issues that don't look much different than your pic. So I guess, never do the same test on your TCL!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah those things are just guaranteed to bring pain I find.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

They asked me to send pics for warranty purposes before the guy came cause I'm so far out of the way. I can see it plainly enough during certain content, this was just easier to get a picture, and still doesn't really do it justice

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I just got one of the LG CX tvs and realized that my Receiver (Denon AVR-X1000) doesn't pass through HDR or a picture over 1080p.

I've fiddled with ARC but am not getting any audio through the receiver and speakers that way. Is the easiest solution to plug everything via HDMI into the tv directly and then using optical audio from the tv to the receiver?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
You should probably fix arc. Common problems would be old HDMI cable and wrong HDMI port on the TV.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

KS posted:

You should probably fix arc. Common problems would be old HDMI cable and wrong HDMI port on the TV.

Aha found the setting on my receiver that I needed to turn on. On the Denon I have it's "HDMI Control"

Unfortunately I'm losing surround sound that way. TV's digital sound out has Auto/PCM/Pass Through. Tested sound with the TV's Netflix App and the movie 6 Underground. On Auto the sound is choppy and messed up. On PCM or Pass through the sound is Stereo but Center and Surround Speakers are out. Watching the movie on Netflix through a ps4 connected directly to the receiver gives full surround.

This problem might be better in the audio thread but I'm hoping someone with a similar setup knows the problem and how I can fix it. I'll see if the sound works correctly tomorrow running the ps4 to the tv and using arc for the audio.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Jolo posted:

Aha found the setting on my receiver that I needed to turn on. On the Denon I have it's "HDMI Control"

Unfortunately I'm losing surround sound that way. TV's digital sound out has Auto/PCM/Pass Through. Tested sound with the TV's Netflix App and the movie 6 Underground. On Auto the sound is choppy and messed up. On PCM or Pass through the sound is Stereo but Center and Surround Speakers are out. Watching the movie on Netflix through a ps4 connected directly to the receiver gives full surround.

This problem might be better in the audio thread but I'm hoping someone with a similar setup knows the problem and how I can fix it. I'll see if the sound works correctly tomorrow running the ps4 to the tv and using arc for the audio.

I have a different TV but on my TCL it won't pass through surround if the TV speakers are on.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Unsure if this is the right thread but I'm toying with the idea of grabbing one of those little portable projectors for backyard/vacation movie nights and baseball watching. Anyone have recommendations there or are they even worth spending money on? How do they handle games? I'd obviously feel dumb buying a sub-1080p display in 2021 so I was looking at mostly that range that Anker puts out.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

RichterIX posted:

I have a different TV but on my TCL it won't pass through surround if the TV speakers are on.

Tv is an either/or with audio where using hdmi disables the tv speakers. I know my old Samsung worked like yours so that's good advice.

I found an old thread elsewhere that mentioned a firmware update to the Denon Receiver I have enabled Dolby Digital Plus audio which is the distorted choppy audio I'm getting. Unfortunately I think something in the interface of my receiver has gone kaput. Plugging in an ethernet cable doesn't give me any update options or any sign that any data is connected, a factory reset hangs up on the first screen of the setup assistant, the menu option that should restart the setup assistant is greyed out and inaccessible, and the Denon website with firmware updates times out.

I guess the ps4 does the audio processing before sending it to the receiver. Right now I've got the tradeoff of better picture with stereo sound or better audio with a 1080p limit.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Stan Taylor posted:

Unsure if this is the right thread but I'm toying with the idea of grabbing one of those little portable projectors for backyard/vacation movie nights and baseball watching. Anyone have recommendations there or are they even worth spending money on? How do they handle games? I'd obviously feel dumb buying a sub-1080p display in 2021 so I was looking at mostly that range that Anker puts out.

I think there's a projector thread - but at work we had the Nebula II Mars Pro (which is now $200 more expensive than when we got it... weird). They're fun. I mean you have to know what you're getting. They aren't very bright so darkness is your friend. They're 720P so resolution isn't the best but totally watchable. Internal speakers are what they are.

Two big caveats:

The integrated apps weren't certified so they never got the full proper integration. The Netflix app wouldn't display HD content for example. Not sure if this has changed, it's been over 2 years since I tried one.
Their is an HDMI in - but when I used a streaming stick there was substantial latency when trying to bluetooth stream to my soundbar. They do claim to have fixed this but I haven't tried it. No latency with the built in speaker of course.

If you have the cash, I wouldn't get less than the 500 lumen Mars II Pro. Anything less than that is too dim. And at $550 you might just push to a slightly more "real" projector.

But they *are* super loving portable and that's really nice. And they have actual built in batteries. I found the 3 hour use was accurate.

Here's my huge and too dim (because I went way over the normal size) usage:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

RichterIX posted:

Same, it's a bit annoying as it means going through a bit of a rigmarole to pass the TV sound to my patio.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

EL BROMANCE posted:

Same, it's a bit annoying as it means going through a bit of a rigmarole to pass the TV sound to my patio.

Yeah, we really only use the surround sound with the PS5, so we spend a fair amount of time switching the speakers on and off. I wish you could set it per input

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

RichterIX posted:

Yeah, we really only use the surround sound with the PS5, so we spend a fair amount of time switching the speakers on and off. I wish you could set it per input

Ha, yeah I’m only 3.0 even, no surround speakers. Alas it’s the best way I could work out the scenario, as previously it would send a multichannel signal out the back and… no dialog. Doh.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ha, yeah I’m only 3.0 even, no surround speakers. Alas it’s the best way I could work out the scenario, as previously it would send a multichannel signal out the back and… no dialog. Doh.

Ha, reminds me of watching Half Baked in the middle of a move with just the center channel hooked up. All the dialogue but no soundtrack. It was weird.

Similar thing when I first got front speakers and put on some sports and got just crowd noise because the center (non existent) was where the commentary was being piped. An easy thing to fix but makes for a whole different experience. Could be cool for baseball.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jolo posted:

Could be cool for baseball.

Was actually talking about this to a friend of mine who’s a big baseball fan just the other day, and he said it used to be a thing. It sounded relaxing.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

wolrah posted:

AFAIK TiVo and HDHomeRun are the only two vendors still selling CableCard products direct to consumers, and even those are hard to find. I haven't seen a TiVo at a retail store in years and HDHomeRun might have one of the cable models sitting next to a rack of the OTA models.

CableCard was a great concept, but the cable companies hated it (because it let you easily not use the box they can cram ads in to every pixel of the GUI) and in a lot of cases they went out of their way to make it inconvenient.

And yea, streaming eliminated most of the demand from consumers. We kinda got the same end result, our cable channels on whatever box we want to use, but worse than what we could have had.

I'm currently using the HDhomerun but they killed the 6 tuner version and DVR just burns up prime time channels. The cable company will give me a cable card for $1 a month so I want to have the TV be able to tune too. The cable cards they have are all used and 15 years old but still work. They also have to give you a tuning box so they know what channel to send down the wire to the card. Looks like buying a couple more HDhomeruns.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You know you want that rack version of the hdhomerun meant for hotels or whatever. I think it’s a few grand, but it’s definitely made me go oooooh. I bet Steve Wozniak has one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

wolrah posted:

AFAIK TiVo and HDHomeRun are the only two vendors still selling CableCard products direct to consumers, and even those are hard to find. I haven't seen a TiVo at a retail store in years and HDHomeRun might have one of the cable models sitting next to a rack of the OTA models.

CableCard was a great concept, but the cable companies hated it (because it let you easily not use the box they can cram ads in to every pixel of the GUI) and in a lot of cases they went out of their way to make it inconvenient.

And yea, streaming eliminated most of the demand from consumers. We kinda got the same end result, our cable channels on whatever box we want to use, but worse than what we could have had.

I have three working TiVos with a cable multi stream card each and every time a tech has to come to the house it’s the only time they’ve ever seen a cable card.

You can pry my TiVo’s from my cold, dead hands. gently caress ever having a cableco box. I will go all streaming before that.