Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I actually rented Romeo Must Die from the library recently before any of this news. I was just in the mood for a Jet Li movie and I realized I'd never seen that one. Haven't watched it yet. Eerie.

It's bizarre: the story is ostensibly a loose re-imagining of Romeo and Juliet, but the powers that be must have deemed it too unthinkable to have the interracial leads engage in any intimacy beyond fleeting glances.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

No one's pretending. If you're so outraged by his work, you can take quiet, preferably silent, comfort in the fact that he's dead now and can't make any more of it and move on.

If someone wants a place to go where they can disparage an artist’s name the day after his premature death, I honestly do get that, but I personally would not like this thread to be that place.

Eat a dick you loving thin-skinned imbecile.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If CPL was talking poo poo about Prince Philip or Rush Limbaugh none of you would be clutching your pearls about respecting the dead. You don't have to share his perspective on DMX's legacy but you sure as hell don't get to act all aghast at his very legitimate criticism of the guy.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Lurdiak posted:

If CPL was talking poo poo about Prince Philip or Rush Limbaugh none of you would be clutching your pearls about respecting the dead. You don't have to share his perspective on DMX's legacy but you sure as hell don't get to act all aghast at his very legitimate criticism of the guy.

If DMX was Rush Limbaugh people would feel differently about him, this is true

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

The man wrote songs about how he hates CPL and wats to kill him. This really shouldn't be a debate.

So it’s okay that he sang about straight men he wanted to kill?

You’re right, it’s not a debate. This is a biproduct of the exploitation of the underclass. It’s a simple fact. I’m no more mad at DMX than I am at the piece of poo poo who killed my cousin last year over dumb rear end street poo poo. Or the ones who killed my other cousin a few years prior. Or the one who killed one of my friends when we were 14. It’s an ugly world that doesn’t make sense.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 10, 2021

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The thing is, “why are people mourning the death of this artist who said/did bad things?” is a question that has been asked before, and it will be asked again, and we kind of already know what the answers are.

There are the ones that are more or less universal: First, that people have strong emotional reactions to art, and if someone made art that really resonated with you, or just evinced a once-in-a-lifetime kind of talent, it’ll sting a bit when that person is suddenly no longer with us. Second, people are complicated. We all recognize that there are people who can do good in one area of their lives and bad in another, and many will use the occasion of someone’s passing to honor the good and put to rest - or even forgive! - the bad.

Then there are the aspects that are more specific - that DMX was able to claw and scrape his way to success out of a harrowing background of child abuse, addiction, and crime (and if you don’t know the full details of this specific case, trust me that I have not done justice at all to just how bad it was). That’s both aspirational and inspirational, and if you’ve struggled with addiction personally, man oh man does it loving suck to see someone high profile with a history of addiction have an overdose and die. It’s very hard to put into words how disheartening that is.

And none of this is to say that discussion of the more unsavory parts of DMX’s life is off limits! But everything has a context, and if within 24 hours of someone’s death you see a lot of people mourning them and think to yourself, “why are people mourning this guy, I thought he was an rear end in a top hat?”, I think the onus is on you to grapple with and try to understand the answer to that question rather than just insisting everyone shut up about it.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Please keep comments directed at posts, not posters. I personally won't be shedding any tears over dead homophobes, but people should be able to post here without being told to eat a dick.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Lurdiak posted:

I would go eat a dick but i just called the dick store and they’re all out of dicks. They said “some hysterical french canadian came by and just ate all our dicks! with gusto!” Damnedest thing.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I once had an idea for a podcast called Nothing But Good, where you talk about all the terrible things famous people have said or done when they were still alive.

It was never going to happen in the first place, but I'm pretty sure actually doing it would lead to a steady flow of death threats. No matter how long ago the subjects died. Well actually, if you go back far enough it is very viable, because then you can call it history.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I'll just kick back with a big ole grin knowing that the culture has genuinely shifted enough that the #1 song in the world is from a fully out gay rapper being as gay and Satantic as possible. :allears:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mierenneuker posted:

I once had an idea for a podcast called Nothing But Good, where you talk about all the terrible things famous people have said or done when they were still alive.

It was never going to happen in the first place, but I'm pretty sure actually doing it would lead to a steady flow of death threats. No matter how long ago the subjects died. Well actually, if you go back far enough it is very viable, because then you can call it history.

Then just do the opposite, duh! Talk about the worst people in the world but only focus on the good things they did. People would respond to that better.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lurdiak posted:

Nobody seemed to be aghast or told him to shut up or whatever. I mean I guess it's kind of ghastly to equate a parasite like Prince Phillip to DMX in the first place.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

What is this threads position on GG Allin?

Horrible abusive childhood? Check
Lot of hosed up lyrics? Mega check
Died young? Lived fast

Not that I'm really comparing them. As supremely hosed up as that homophobic DMX lyric is he never threw poo poo at his audience, as far as I know. and also even though I genuinely like some GG Allin stuff, mostly his sad sack country stuff, he never did something as good as the ultra silly X Gonna Give it To Ya.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Here's a better one: what's this thread's opinion on David Bowie?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Josh Lyman posted:

Lovecraft Country aired August-October 2020. That’s less than 6 months ago. Got you some quarantine brain. :laugh:

Time has no meaning to me anymore.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He's amazing.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nobody seemed to be aghast or told him to shut up or whatever.

No one’s pretending. If you’re so outraged by his work, you can take quiet, preferably silent, comfort in the fact that he’s dead now and can’t make any more of it and move on.

It's nicely worded I guess but that's still a STFU.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Then just do the opposite, duh! Talk about the worst people in the world but only focus on the good things they did. People would respond to that better.
This is like a bizarro version of Behind the Bastards.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Amazing artist.
Great actor.
Flirted with Nazism in the 70s.
Allegedly diddled a kid also in the 70s.

The 70s were hosed up.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Throw Jimmy Page, Prince, and the other big name statutory rapists in there that no one says word one of.

Hell, Page is still alive even.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Skwirl posted:

He's amazing.

He also openly admitted to having sex with underage girls. You'd absolutely be in the right to write him off entirely.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

This is like 80% of 70s music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHxGyJp0_5I

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

graventy posted:

It's nicely worded I guess but that's still a STFU.

You’re right, it was a stfu (and nicely worded, thx) But what I should have said was, “take the time to learn more about DMX, and why he meant so much to so many people, in spite of his transgressions and faults. Otherwise, take quiet comfort, etc. etc.”

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah but I mean it wasn't the 70's, a huge chunk of our pop culture and rock/movie stars are still having sex with underage girls.

I like to be informed about lovely people, so that I can adjust my intake and expectations accordingly.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I have said before and will say it again: it is safe to assume that every male musician active before 1996 hosed a teenager at some point until given explicit evidence otherwise, as a direct result of the nature of stardom and music touring.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

graventy posted:

Yeah but I mean it wasn't the 70's, a huge chunk of our pop culture and rock/movie stars are still having sex with underage girls.

I like to be informed about lovely people, so that I can adjust my intake and expectations accordingly.

What are your expectations? What does "adjusting your intake" do? Acceptance of homophobia, racism, child abuse, etc are social problems, not especially dependent on personal consumption to begin with.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I have said before and will say it again: it is safe to assume that every male musician active before 1996 hosed a teenager at some point until given explicit evidence otherwise, as a direct result of the nature of stardom and music touring.

It's literally what the term "groupie" refers to.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Died young? Lived fast

Not that I'm really comparing them. As supremely hosed up as that homophobic DMX lyric is he never threw poo poo at his audience, as far as I know. and also even though I genuinely like some GG Allin stuff, mostly his sad sack country stuff, he never did something as good as the ultra silly X Gonna Give it To Ya.

Of his music: I actually really like some of the early stuff. He had a fantastic voice for the material. Don't Talk to Me is a great punk song. I actually think we might be at the point where he's kind of underrated, in terms of influence if nothing else. If you go back and listen to the really early White Zombie stuff, it's got GG all over it.

Of him as a person: I mean he was a piece of poo poo, I don't think there's any debate there. But yeah, if we're bringing his childhood into it, when you're born to a psychotic abusive preacher who names you Jesus Christ (and in New Hampshire no less), the deck is kinda stacked against you.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

KVeezy3 posted:

It's bizarre: the story is ostensibly a loose re-imagining of Romeo and Juliet, but the powers that be must have deemed it too unthinkable to have the interracial leads engage in any intimacy beyond fleeting glances.

This got buried but yes it literally was the case. Afaik, it originally ended with an interracial kiss, which outraged test audiences. Or the producers were afraid it would. So they either rewrote or reshot to make the relationship completely platonic. It sucks. The original idea would have resulted in a modern masterpiece. But what we're stuck with is... well, at least, Anthony Anderson was fun!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've heard that Jet Li also had a thing where he refused to kiss any woman but his wife even when acting.

I don't know if this is true or if it was cooked up as justification for how passionless the romance in Romeo Must Die is

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

What are your expectations? What does "adjusting your intake" do? Acceptance of homophobia, racism, child abuse, etc are social problems, not especially dependent on personal consumption to begin with.

Nothing, I suppose. It's a personal choice. There are tons of great films/shows/music/books etc, and I prefer not to consume or support the work of assholes. Or, at the least, know ahead of time so I can make an informed choice.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

FreudianSlippers posted:

Died young? Lived fast

I don't know who that is.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I've heard that Jet Li also had a thing where he refused to kiss any woman but his wife even when acting.

I don't know if this is true or if it was cooked up as justification for how passionless the romance in Romeo Must Die is

I also have a thing where I refuse to kiss any woman but Jet Li's wife even when acting.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gripweed posted:

His wikipedia page is a fun read if nothing else.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It’s pretty clear that we’re all unanimous in rejecting a straightforward homophobia of DMX’d lyrics, with a range of interpretations as to why it’s bad. There’s little or no contradiction between CPL’s stance, Ruddiger’s stance, and my own observations.

Like, go back to the lyrics:

“How you gonna explain fuckin a man? / Even if we squashed the beef, I ain't touchin ya hand”

So DMX (or, the character he’s playing) is like “I’m going to kill you unless you explain why you had sex with a man” - to which the obvious reply would be something like “I had sex with a man because I am a homosexual.”

In that case, X would evidently be like “oh, well, ok. But I think that’s icky.”

Obviously that’s still homophobic, but it’s a very different species of homophobia. For me, it just comes across as silly because he’s trying to seem badass but his specific ‘beef’ is with straight men having gay sex. Like, very earnestly baffled: “why do all my straight friends keep sucking dick?” You really do just want to sit down with him and help solve that mystery.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gripweed posted:

Imagine the most exaggerated conservative idea of what punk rock is then imagine it's completely true.

That was essentially Jesus Christ "GG" All-in a musician who would take a poo poo on stage, throw some at the audience, smear the rest on himself and then proceed to physically assault the audience.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I'm going to put aside the DMX thing for a moment because whatever that's just going to be a whole thing. I'm popping back in because I need to tell everyone about the most baffling loving tv show I've seen in recent memory because I think people here might enjoy (?) it.

So TBS made this show called Chad. The titular Chad is a 14 year old boy played by a 40 year old woman. This character who I think maybe we're supposed to like is just a mean spirited little rear end in a top hat who treats every single person he knows like absolute trash. He's completely relentless for no goddamn reason. The casting of a grown rear end woman in the character of a teenage boy gives it these weird shades of It's Pat. And they've got her pancaked with so much makeup that it starts to border on uncanny valley. There's a whole weird deadness to it that reminds me of those clips of laugh track sitcoms where they took out the laughter because there's often this pause after what I assume is supposed to be a joke where I guess we're expected to laugh. The whole thing is just bizarre on every level. You really need to see this poo poo to believe it. You can watch it on the TBS website for free.

Okay, that's it. Bye again.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The guy who directed the Hangover got his start directing a GG Allin doc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCRprGXmabI

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gripweed posted:

He toured with Dee Dee Ramone for like a week and Dee Dee loving Ramone said "I can't keep up with this lunatic" and quit.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

No loving way dude, you get back here and explain to me why they did this high-concept reboot of Strangers With Candy right this instant. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

CPL593H posted:

I'm going to put aside the DMX thing for a moment because whatever that's just going to be a whole thing. I'm popping back in because I need to tell everyone about the most baffling loving tv show I've seen in recent memory because I think people here might enjoy (?) it.

So TBS made this show called Chad. The titular Chad is a 14 year old boy played by a 40 year old woman. This character who I think maybe we're supposed to like is just a mean spirited little rear end in a top hat who treats every single person he knows like absolute trash. He's completely relentless for no goddamn reason. The casting of a grown rear end woman in the character of a teenage boy gives it these weird shades of It's Pat. And they've got her pancaked with so much makeup that it starts to border on uncanny valley. There's a whole weird deadness to it that reminds me of those clips of laugh track sitcoms where they took out the laughter because there's often this pause after what I assume is supposed to be a joke where I guess we're expected to laugh. The whole thing is just bizarre on every level. You really need to see this poo poo to believe it. You can watch it on the TBS website for free.

This sounds a whole lot like Clifford