Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

i like cole caufield

https://twitter.com/scottmatla/status/1380672655318192129
https://twitter.com/scottmatla/status/1380689236735721474

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I don’t know what to tell you except that all the reporting around the trade says that if you have a $5M cap hit on LTIR and a $2.75 cap hit on LTIR and you were at the cap when you placed them you should have whatever the sum of those two hits is minus the pro rated space you had to the ceiling, like this shows:

https://twitter.com/puckpedia/status/1380647822580621312?s=21

Which is more space than they would have had if they put Andersen on LTIR alone.

CapFriendly hasn’t updated properly because they haven’t added Andersen on IR, but the Leafs placing him on there retroactively has been confirmed. They also show the Leafs as having negative space at the moment which they can’t have period, so that page isn’t an accurate accounting of what the Leafs have.

Koopa Kid fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 10, 2021

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

I don’t know what to tell you except that all the reporting around the trade says that if you have a $5M cap hit on LTIR and a $2.75 cap hit on LTIR and you were at the cap when you placed them you should have whatever the sum of those two hits is minus the pro rated space you had to the ceiling, like this shows:

Which is more space than they would have had if they put Andersen on LTIR alone.

CapFriendly hasn’t updated properly because they haven’t added Andersen on IR, but the Leafs placing him on there retroactively has been confirmed. They also show the Leafs as having negative space at the moment which they can’t have period, so that page isn’t an accurate accounting of what the Leafs have.

At the very least, that tweet has an 18 man roster that doesn’t have Hutch’s bucks taking part of the Freddie room accounted for. And Barabanov taking Willy’s spot for a bit.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

pseudodragon posted:

At the very least, that tweet has an 18 man roster that doesn’t have Hutch’s bucks taking part of the Freddie room accounted for. And Barabanov taking Willy’s spot for a bit.

I mean, we can debate the mechanics of LTIR or we can talk about how cap aggregators have trouble keeping up with the yo-yo of cap roster moves to both create more space on off days and max out the cap for LTIR, because there was certainly a Marlie called up today to fill space that nobody noticed too.

Both Friedman and Johnston have reported that the Leafs got more LTIR pool by trading for Nash, and they don’t report that unless a source says so, I don’t know why Leafs fans of all people are refusing to believe that’s how this deal works.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Who cares about the Leafs lets talk about this years most likely Stanley Cup Champions, the New York Islanders.

They are the least cool New York team and I hope they dont win.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Furnaceface posted:

Who cares about the Leafs lets talk about this years most likely Stanley Cup Champions, the New York Islanders.

You are halfway to the proper take here so I am willing to give you a pass

The islanders had two glaring holes before their big trade (Leo komarov as their first line LW, and a rotating cast of bums at LW3) so adding both Kyle Palmieri and Travis Zajac seemed to basically solve both of those issues in one move. Awesome

Except Barry Trotz has decided to bench Oliver Wahlstrom, who at 20 has been loving amazing and one of the best islanders in the past 5 weeks, while Leo Komarov remains the top line LW despite passing through waivers unclaimed three times this year

Trotz is probably the best coach in the league but even he isn't immune to absolutely ridiculous lineup decisions that hold the team back

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Wahlstrom is banged up and that's why he hasn't played for a couple of games. Trotz loves Wahlstrom and he will definitely be playing once he's feeling ready.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
yeah Komarov playing with Barzel seems...less than optimal

glad that the young rangers picked up the slack last night when Zibanejad's line didn't come to play. Kakko is an absolute beast on the puck, I just hope he finds his scoring touch. Considering the strides he made in his board game and adjusting to attacking the puck and how much his analytics improved, I'm going to assume he'll find that scoring touch and starting being a big threat to score with the puck on his stick too.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Furnaceface posted:

... I think you're forgetting about something

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

2G, 1A in his first pro game!

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Spelling Mitsake posted:

2G, 1A in his first pro game!

Come to Butthead tiny hockey mans

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Connor Bedard scored two more goals in his final game of the season including the OT winner a couple days after his grandfather was killed in a traffic accident. He finishes his age 15 season with 12g 28pts in 15 games. It's early days but he's trending well ahead of McDavid (who had a ppg of 1 aged 15) and Crosby at the same age. He might well be the most talented prospect any of us have ever seen.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

ThinkTank posted:

He might well be the most talented prospect any of us have ever seen.

There's a post about Cole Caufield just above you.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

ThinkTank posted:

Connor Bedard scored two more goals in his final game of the season including the OT winner a couple days after his grandfather was killed in a traffic accident. He finishes his age 15 season with 12g 28pts in 15 games. It's early days but he's trending well ahead of McDavid (who had a ppg of 1 aged 15) and Crosby at the same age. He might well be the most talented prospect any of us have ever seen.

Honestly since Matthews in 2016 all of the first overall picks have been pretty underwhelming so far, would be nice to have another superstar to watch in the league. I hope he’s a bigger hockey robot than Sid and McDavid too

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I hope he's Allen Iverson levels of charismatic. Lord knows hockey needs it

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yaya posted:

I'd settle for being reliably-able-to-pass-a-Turing-test levels of charismatic.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Yaya posted:

Even if he is, the nhl will fix that quickly

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Cocaine Bear posted:

... I think you're forgetting about something

Obviously the answer is the Devils.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

You guys are bad at geography

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Iodised QQ posted:

Except Barry Trotz has decided to bench Oliver Wahlstrom, who at 20 has been loving amazing and one of the best islanders in the past 5 weeks, while Leo Komarov remains the top line LW despite passing through waivers unclaimed three times this year

Trotz is probably the best coach in the league but even he isn't immune to absolutely ridiculous lineup decisions that hold the team back

No coach is perfect, I suppose. I still remember Coach Q would always try to force an enforcer into the lineup (even during the playoffs) or would ride old veterans long past their date of expiration (Handzus in 2014).

But man, I wish he was still here. Colliton is a massive downgrade.

And for some boring trade news: the Hawks are keeping Janmark out of the lineup "as an organizational decision," so I imagine he's getting traded today. He was surprisingly productive early in the season, so I'm hoping some team out there is going to overpay.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Ummagumma posted:

No coach is perfect, I suppose.

I wish social media had been around in the 90s when Bowman would put Fedorov on defense just because

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1380932576127356937

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Zito working hard to kill off the good vibes he brought thus far.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
brandon montour's only trade value is that people remember him from when the ducks were a defenseman pipeline and assume he's good when he's actually one of the worst defensemen in hockey

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

He has been good the past few games, scored those two shorties in a row, has contributed offensively and defensively. Glad he could ramp up his trade value right before the deadline!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Lol they got a third round pick for him.

They originally traded a first plus Brendan Ghule to acquire him, wow

https://twitter.com/kevinweekes/status/1380935033448464391?s=21

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My nephew really likes Montour because they have the same last name.

So he has one fan.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1380931852186361859?s=20

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

How many season has he been in Buffalo? Ah, I see.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1380944667873787905

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Greg Pateryn is still in the league huh

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Koopa Kid posted:

Greg Pateryn is still in the league huh

Yeah. Injured most of last year and moved to Colorado for Ian Cole at the beginning of the season. He’s lost a step, but is still probably okay as a 5/6 and can kill penalties. I can think of worse at least.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
The Avs got Dubnyk huh? I might be sick.

Like it get it, but...no. it's like colorado making a trade with Detroit, it just isn't supposed to happen.

What's that?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

Both Friedman and Johnston have reported that the Leafs got more LTIR pool by trading for Nash, and they don’t report that unless a source says so, I don’t know why Leafs fans of all people are refusing to believe that’s how this deal works.

I said repeatedly that they got more LTIR by trading for Nash but they're using it to pay for Nash's salary. There's no net gain here. The're getting Nash for free, not Nash plus bonus magic cap room out of nowhere.

Koopa Kid posted:

Again, the $800k extra room isn't magic accounting. The tweet you posted from CapFriendly earlier said that the Leafs had to recall someone to max out Andersen's LTIR *before* they traded for Nash, implying that they were slightly under the cap before then. That's where the extra $800k is coming from. They didn't need to trade for Nash to use that space, they just could have kept whoever it was they recalled on the roster.

The whole point of this is a bunch of fans and some reporters have been saying 'wow this is $2.75M in free cap space now we can trade for Taytay!!' and that's complete nonsense. Also y'know there's the issue that if Andersen is really out for the rest of the season they might want to get another non-Michael Hutchinson goalie.

If you don't believe me, follow the ongoing and pointless debate with James Mirtle:

https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/1380699389786734593

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 10, 2021

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1380955993983614991

Bolts have literally zero cap space, so it'll be interesting to see how BriseBois works this one out

e: https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1380956906144075777

Kilza fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 10, 2021

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah after reading up on it more my version only works if they could fit Nash into the roster before placing either Andersen or Nash on LTIR, which some people seemed confident the Leafs could do but doesn’t seem to be what they’ve done, and where I got tripped up in the ol order of operations.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1380958295662428163

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
i was interested in keeping kulikov around, but christ if david savard gets a first-round pick...

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
no loving way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1380962048977338368