Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
If it wasn't for the other guy, I'd say you were mentally smooshing together several different memories into one. It sounds so much like the giant gatekeeper mech from Labyrinth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I did a deep dive looking for this knight minimech movie and came up pretty empty. I would suggest it might be an episode of a more obscure anthology show or a TV movie. Maybe a regional production. But in my search I came across some lower budget power rangers looking poo poo from the late 90s with a wild rear end time travel plot called Backtime, so I guess I gotta find a copy of that now.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Seyser Koze posted:

Thinking of an old animated short that my economics teacher showed our class in high school. It was about overpopulation and consumption of resources. The first part cut back and forth between the same looping animation of tons of babies being born and scenes of people fighting over the last remaining scraps of food. The second was a "how things could be" segment showing people doing sustainable farming and living happily.

If I remember correctly there was just music, no speech or sound effects. The people were drawn as purple shapes without any features, and there was this yellow/orange "god" figure watching everything and being horrified. I saw it in 2000, but I'm guessing the short was from some time in the 60s. Anybody remember seeing something similar?

I think I've identified this, although I still can't find the actual video. I was thinking about it again (it's been stuck in my head all week) and thought I maybe remembered the title from a handout in my econ class, and some googling brought me to this lesson plan:

quote:

"A Future for Every Child" 1974;,9 minutes, color, animated, 16mm, non-narratIve.Contemporary Films, McGraw Hill, 1221 Avenue of the Americas, New YorkNY10019 Suggests two alternate.futures:one a nightmare of overpopulation, shortages, pollution conflict and absense (sic) of human rights; the other a dream of adequate life space, plentiful produce, healthy environment, peace,and concern for the rights of individuals.Not recommended for use below intermediate grades.

Followed by this comment section post on cartoonresearch.com. Apparently it was submitted for Oscar consideration in '73.

YOWP posted:

The best I can find for “A Future For Every Child” comes from Backstage magazine, 1 Feb. 1974:

Phos Cine’s Bright Future
At the second annual International Animation Film Festival held recently at Loeb Center in New York, festival director Fred Mintz presented the Bronze Praxinoscope to Colin Giles of Phos Cine Productions for the film “A Future For Every Child,” animation by Bill Sewell (Yellow Submarine). Film featured an original music score by Jake Stern and was produced by Tony Spanco and John Pagano of Media Counterpoint.

There’s nothing about the plot. “A future for every child” was UNICEF’s slogan at that time and found on its fund-raising Christmas cards.

Ganraam
Feb 26, 2005

Whatever he does represents both a gain and a loss, an arrival and a departure.

The_Doctor posted:

If it wasn't for the other guy, I'd say you were mentally smooshing together several different memories into one. It sounds so much like the giant gatekeeper mech from Labyrinth.

I can see how it would sound that way but it wasn't Labyrinth. Someday maybe I can post a side by side gif once I'm an expert on medieval mecha in 80s movies.

Origami Dali posted:

I did a deep dive looking for this knight minimech movie and came up pretty empty. I would suggest it might be an episode of a more obscure anthology show or a TV movie. Maybe a regional production. But in my search I came across some lower budget power rangers looking poo poo from the late 90s with a wild rear end time travel plot called Backtime, so I guess I gotta find a copy of that now.

It could be any of those, although my money is on a regional production or indie film with very small circulation. I'm coming across some great titles to watch while searching for it though. Honestly I was content to just wonder about this when it came to mind but running into the other guy kind of kicked me into high gear. The information should exist somewhere. I am sifting through IMDB now but with literally thousands of titles it is going to take a long time to brute force it. The reddit guy did say he saw it on TV while I saw a rented VHS. Given the albeit hazy timeline, I'd be inclined to think it started out as a movie and made it onto a TV station movie premier, but it could have definitely been a made for TV movie that ended up at the video rental store.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Ganraam posted:

I can see how it would sound that way but it wasn't Labyrinth. Someday maybe I can post a side by side gif once I'm an expert on medieval mecha in 80s movies.

It could be any of those, although my money is on a regional production or indie film with very small circulation. I'm coming across some great titles to watch while searching for it though. Honestly I was content to just wonder about this when it came to mind but running into the other guy kind of kicked me into high gear. The information should exist somewhere. I am sifting through IMDB now but with literally thousands of titles it is going to take a long time to brute force it. The reddit guy did say he saw it on TV while I saw a rented VHS. Given the albeit hazy timeline, I'd be inclined to think it started out as a movie and made it onto a TV station movie premier, but it could have definitely been a made for TV movie that ended up at the video rental store.

I'd suggest getting a hold of anyone over at Cinemageddon. That's a rare film private torrent site, and I am not advocating torrenting movies whatsoever, just saying that the power users over there are hugely knowledgable when it comes to super obscure stuff, particularly anything that might be made-for-TV, and might know what you're talking about.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I also would never advocate torrenting movies ever under any circumstances

Ganraam
Feb 26, 2005

Whatever he does represents both a gain and a loss, an arrival and a departure.

codyclarke posted:

I'd suggest getting a hold of anyone over at Cinemageddon. That's a rare film private torrent site, and I am not advocating torrenting movies whatsoever, just saying that the power users over there are hugely knowledgable when it comes to super obscure stuff, particularly anything that might be made-for-TV, and might know what you're talking about.

That sounds very promising. Invite-only right now but I will see if I can get an invite somewhere. For access to their forums only, of course.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://i.imgur.com/2MkDIL2.mp4

what dis

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRCS3bPVcwY

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

:lol: that's incredible.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Someone do an edit where the appreciative lady is replaced by those Vince McMahon takes

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I remember seeing a how its made clip during film studies class back in college. It was one of the earliest examples of using a camera on a big crane for this shot of a balcony. I think the balcony might have been a set piece and floating in the air or something, not really attached to a building. it seemed to be a mediterranean vibe and it might have been a Fellini movie or was just while we were on the Italian cinema chapter or maybe not at all! I don't remember. does this ring any bells?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
:aaa: TIL there's a Scanners 2 and Scanners 3, and are so bad they should have been on MST3000.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

happyhippy posted:

:aaa: TIL there's a Scanners 2 and Scanners 3, and are so bad they should have been on MST3000.

There's also a Scanner Cop and Scanner Cop 2 in the same universe! I actually clipped the original scene that was posted, edited carefully to remove all context from why he's dancing and why she's giving him the strongest possible look, because when I got to that scene in Scanners 3 I couldn't get past it and had to inflict it on others.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

A MIRACLE posted:

I remember seeing a how its made clip during film studies class back in college. It was one of the earliest examples of using a camera on a big crane for this shot of a balcony. I think the balcony might have been a set piece and floating in the air or something, not really attached to a building. it seemed to be a mediterranean vibe and it might have been a Fellini movie or was just while we were on the Italian cinema chapter or maybe not at all! I don't remember. does this ring any bells?

There's a very famous and technically difficult crane shot in Tenebrae, is this it? There's Italian women and boobs and a murder (but no balcony) in the following sequence, so viewer beware:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eDtzdKktTw

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

maybe... what I'm actually remembering is the making of clip, so its a bit more complicated because I haven't seen the actual movie lol. I remember the architecture being distinctly mediterranean and it being daylight and outside

that's a really cool sequence though

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

A MIRACLE posted:

maybe... what I'm actually remembering is the making of clip, so its a bit more complicated because I haven't seen the actual movie lol. I remember the architecture being distinctly mediterranean and it being daylight and outside

that's a really cool sequence though

I could be way off, but perhaps I Am Cuba? The architecture could read as Mediterranean and there's a couple of acclaimed building-scaling shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOLVm_9UcRw&t=171s - opening scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCdahJlwTG0 - funeral tracking

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

I could be way off, but perhaps I Am Cuba? The architecture could read as Mediterranean and there's a couple of acclaimed building-scaling shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOLVm_9UcRw&t=171s - opening scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCdahJlwTG0 - funeral tracking

This is what I was thinking too

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

That second shot definitely looks like it

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

I once saw a black and white british horror short story about a group of hooligans who end up in a magic shop. They wake up the owner and proceed to scare him until he offers to do a magic trick ~ he takes each man one by one and places them in a booth, then mumbles some magic words: the person in the booth disappears. At first they think it's a joke until the last one climbs in and they are all gone. It's intercut with creepy visuals of the games and clowns and stuff in the store.

It was a very creepy short and I only found out about it because it was used by someone to create a visual for a song they had put up of a nowave band's song. it was taken down before I could get more info, but it was called something like "what have they done to poor johnny" or something very british like that. All I know is that it was from some relatively obscure british horror/macabre short story compilation.

I wonder if anyone can help me find the name of it, because I'd like to see that footage again, even though it gives me the creeps.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

I remember a scene in a movie where a comical amount of film comes pouring out of a camera. Any ideas?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I remember a scene in a movie where a comical amount of film comes pouring out of a camera. Any ideas?

Wayne’s World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vQSrmOqDnU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

xutech posted:

I once saw a black and white british horror short story about a group of hooligans who end up in a magic shop. They wake up the owner and proceed to scare him until he offers to do a magic trick ~ he takes each man one by one and places them in a booth, then mumbles some magic words: the person in the booth disappears. At first they think it's a joke until the last one climbs in and they are all gone. It's intercut with creepy visuals of the games and clowns and stuff in the store.

It was a very creepy short and I only found out about it because it was used by someone to create a visual for a song they had put up of a nowave band's song. it was taken down before I could get more info, but it was called something like "what have they done to poor johnny" or something very british like that. All I know is that it was from some relatively obscure british horror/macabre short story compilation.

I wonder if anyone can help me find the name of it, because I'd like to see that footage again, even though it gives me the creeps.

Perhaps an episode of Armchair Thriller?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armchair_Thriller

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Thanks but it was black and white and from some sort of horror anthology movie.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

xutech posted:

Thanks but it was black and white and from some sort of horror anthology movie.

Where Has Poor Mickey Gone?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7yslgy

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
playing this jackbox ripoff

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
House on Haunted Hill 1959 version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9RedbhV8Pc&t=1085s

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Any idea what's on TV?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Kinda looks like a young Clifton Powell.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Gats Akimbo posted:

Where Has Poor Mickey Gone?

Spot on! thanks so much, and thanks for a viewable link as well!

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I'm trying to remember a '90s erotic thriller, in which a man's mother-in-law attempts to seduce him. The only scene I remember is of him opening the door to his bathroom, and his MiL is wearing a robe and is shaving her leg, with her foot resting on the edge of the bathtub. She then asks in a seductive tone, referring to the razor, "Is this yours?"

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
A Shannon Tweed joint?

Maybe Scorned based on the imdb plot? Just a guess though.
https://youtu.be/ovs5pYkhMpM

Whole thing is on YouTube
https://youtu.be/9iZkdNZhbX8

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Oh, that's a great suggestion! I remember the woman I'm thinking about being a lot older though, maybe mid to late '50s.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I'm not sure if it was an erotic thriller, but now I remember a scene from some mid-90s TV movie that had a send-up of Basic Instinct, where the femme fatale reassured a bunch of interrogating detectives that, yes, she was wearing underwear, and then proceeded to deduce what kind of underwear each of them was wearing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hannibal Rex posted:

I'm not sure if it was an erotic thriller, but now I remember a scene from some mid-90s TV movie that had a send-up of Basic Instinct, where the femme fatale reassured a bunch of interrogating detectives that, yes, she was wearing underwear, and then proceeded to deduce what kind of underwear each of them was wearing.

That sounds like a Leslie Nielsen and/or Mel Brooks-style genre parody movie.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
I don’t remember if that scene was in it, but that generally sounds like it could be Fatal Instinct.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Or perhaps National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon 1

One I'm looking for. Can't remember if it was from a Sketch Comedy (like SNL, MadTV, etc) show, or part of a show like Community or 30 Rock, but it was "documentary" about the making of a Hollywood Musical. A black and white musical, with a nautical theme, and just how the production kept going off the rails, and in the end, the resulting film was so offensive, it was never shown.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 22, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Loaded Weapon definitely had a Basic Instinct spoof scene, don't especially remember that bit but I think I only ever saw an edited version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Davros1 posted:

One I'm looking for. Can't remember if it was from a Sketch Comedy (like SNL, MadTV, etc) show, or part of a show like Community or 30 Rock, but it was "documentary" about the making of a Hollywood Musical. A black and white musical, with a nautical theme, and just how the production kept going off the rails, and in the end, the resulting film was so offensive, it was never shown.

Daddys Boy, in the show Unbreakable Kimmy Schmitt? First link I could find, someone appears to have filmed their TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC1CyJCl24A

SiKboy fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 22, 2021