Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I love love love my UltraQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008

Stringent posted:

I got a Fireboard and a fan for Christmas and it's pretty cool I gotta say.
I got this fan, and very important do not forget like I did the weber adapter.

I like that fan adapter a lot more than most I've seen, since it deflects down under the charcoal and looks kinda slick. Mix and matching might be the way to go.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I've been told that this is the thread for cool people who grill and smoke stuff. I'm buying a house at the end of the month and will finally have outdoor space for some sort of grilling device. What's the best grill for someone who's new to the game? Just one of those classic black Weber grills? Let's say nothing over $200.

I'll always stan for the Weber kettle. Most versatile grill you can get for the money. The rain cover and lid hanger are nice to have, not need to have (the lid has a hook on it). And, having used it as a smoker for two years, it's not much more expensive than a Smokey Mountain. It just takes a lot more monitoring because temps can flare up pretty easily.

To stay within your budget, check Facebook marketplace and OfferUp in your area. You might get lucky and run into someone who essentially refurbishes grills (Although this is more common with gas grills in my experience).

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Any tips on how not to overcook the thinner part of the brisket point? I got some hickory wood chips and was planning to go the more traditional route as far as rub, namely just salt and pepper and possibly sugar. I suppose this one I could sous vide before smoking to compare, as I know/am fairly sure the brisket point, being fattier, will take longer in the smoker anyway. But assuming I go the smoker route all the way, do I just get it to 195 and remove, then count on carryover? My principal mistake when I did the flat was to leave it in til 209F (I was away from the house for 3 hours and it went too long) which made the ends overcooked and tough. I threw the ends away, actually. I don't wanna make the same mistake with the point.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Uh well on a whole pig you control the temps to ensure everything finishes at the same time. Different areas get different amount of coals. 225 is close enough to the finish temperature on a brisket where it really shouldn't matter. If it's dry put it to the side and use it in a chili or just a snack while your cutting it all up.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

life is killing me posted:

Any tips on how not to overcook the thinner part of the brisket point? I got some hickory wood chips and was planning to go the more traditional route as far as rub, namely just salt and pepper and possibly sugar. I suppose this one I could sous vide before smoking to compare, as I know/am fairly sure the brisket point, being fattier, will take longer in the smoker anyway. But assuming I go the smoker route all the way, do I just get it to 195 and remove, then count on carryover? My principal mistake when I did the flat was to leave it in til 209F (I was away from the house for 3 hours and it went too long) which made the ends overcooked and tough. I threw the ends away, actually. I don't wanna make the same mistake with the point.

This is why you make Burnt Ends.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

As mentioned, if you make the point into burnt ends you won't have that problem. This week I watched a few videos of how to trim (and how to separate) a brisket, and I learned that some people like to try to get their meat to a fairly close to uniform thickness by trimming off the thinner meat, which can then be ground into sausage or burgers if you like.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I didn't try it, but I had the idea of rolling up the thinner part as best as possible to get uniform thickness.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
The point is fatty enough that you can easily take it to 210 and rest with carry over and be completely fine. It’s always gonna be juicy cause of the fat. That flat is generally what I worry about burning but I’ve never had them have crazy temp splits. At most I may have a few degree split but that’s to be expected over a cook.

Or you could sous vide it. I’m on mobile and don’t see people’s avatars... is it just one guy talking about sous vide a ton here or am I the only person not doing it? Ngl bro just smoke the drat thing

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Also makes great stew if it doesn't come out perfect.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Stringent posted:

I have this exact setup and really like it. No complaints at all.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Random Hero posted:

I have this exact setup and really like it. No complaints at all.

Thirded. It’s great.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Any of you have any recommended beef jerky recipes? Im tryin out a soy sauce/worchester sauce marinade that im gonna smoke tomorrow in my mes. I love the Loves/robertsons beef jerky. Im gonna look up copy recipes on that, but if you have any go to recipes, id love to see them.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

ZombieCrew posted:

Any of you have any recommended beef jerky recipes? Im tryin out a soy sauce/worchester sauce marinade that im gonna smoke tomorrow in my mes. I love the Loves/robertsons beef jerky. Im gonna look up copy recipes on that, but if you have any go to recipes, id love to see them.

https://heygrillhey.com/dr-pepper-jalapeno-beef-jerky/
But make certain you reduce the dr pepper down a LOT before marinading.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ZombieCrew posted:

Here's mine that I've developed over the years. It's basically an umami bomb. The hot stuff at the end can bet replaced or eliminated. I like to sub on gochujang or sambal sometimes. I use London broil, cut with the grain. I would marinate overnight, probably minimum 8 hours. I've had enough people tell me this is their favorite jerky to feel good in recommending it. If you're missing one of the later ingredients it's probably not a big deal. But if you have them all by all means use them. You won't regret it.

2 pounds London broil, cut with the grain ⅛-¼" thick
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons liquid smoke
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon hot paprika
1 teaspoon fish sauce
½ teaspoon maggi seasoning
⅛ teaspoon pink salt
½ teaspoon msg
1 teaspoon cayenne
2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I got this firepit for free (bottom of a water tank) and set up a little area, used it for a bonfire recently. But come summer I was wondering about using it for grilling with straight wood, and building myself a rotisserie and doing stuff like grilling chickens and meat on rotating spits.

The firepit is quite huge so for cooking I won't use the whole thing. I am thinking of doing it argentinian style and setting up a small fire to the side and feeding charcoal from the fire to some kind of cooking area that Iäll fabricate. Something I can place inside the firepit, maybe hook to the edge.

EDIT:
The more I am thinking about this, I realize I might have to consider wind breaks. Though I moved the setup to a more secluded area now that will be in better cover later. Oh well experiment and see.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Apr 13, 2021

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Stringent posted:

Ohhh, I didn't know you could just buy the Fireboard and use an old pitviper fan that I had from an old BBQ Guru (DigiQ). That's awesome!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Going to cook my first brisket this week using meatheads method.

It’s only my wife and my toddler and I for a 11 pound brisket. From what I’ve been told, it doesn’t reheat easily, so I’m thinking of separating the point and flat (it’s about 11 pounds untrimmed) and cooking one, learning from my mistakes, and cooking the other next time.

Good idea? Or should I just cook it all at once? If cooking just one-is one part more forgiving than the other? My MES 18.5” will fit the whole thing and I can monitor the temp pretty easy with the FireBoard and fan

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I smoked some turkey titty.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 18, 2021

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

nwin posted:

Going to cook my first brisket this week using meatheads method.

It’s only my wife and my toddler and I for a 11 pound brisket. From what I’ve been told, it doesn’t reheat easily, so I’m thinking of separating the point and flat (it’s about 11 pounds untrimmed) and cooking one, learning from my mistakes, and cooking the other next time.

Good idea? Or should I just cook it all at once? If cooking just one-is one part more forgiving than the other? My MES 18.5” will fit the whole thing and I can monitor the temp pretty easy with the FireBoard and fan

I say cook it all at once. I find it reheats just fine, and I’ve used it for all sorts of things, including freezing it. I find that the point and flat cook very differently when separated.

I recommend using it as a protein base for your meals for the coming week. And on top of that, my toddler inhales brisket so he was an easy disposal of leftovers.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
It reheats fine and if you're going to spend 12 hours cooking a brisket you may as well do the whole thing. If you have a temp controller you're basically on easy mode. Reheating is the default for me since I usually do like 15-20 lbs of meat at a time and I'm usually cooking for 1-2. Depending on how you're reheating or using it later, you don't even really need to go all the way to 200 or whatever which also saves a ton of time pushing through th estall

That being said, I usually cut my briskets into 3 pieces so it's easier to deal with on the cutting board and easier to put into a side by side refrigerator.

On that note, did a brisket and chuck today. Apparently costco has american wagyu briskets now in addition to the other stuff. The quality of their wagyu meats seem to vary a lot--this time the chuck looked much worse than regular usda choice so i got that instead. I got the brisket because it was cheaper as a whole since it was smaller than the primes even at an extra $1/lb. Sure turned out well either way.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Was so happy with the chuck roast I smoked a few weeks ago, I decided to do another one.

Mesquite wood in the vertical smoker using Cowboy lump.

So this is the first time I’ve ever crutched a piece of meat. I wrapped it in foil with some beef stock and vinegar to get it through the stall.

Here’s my problem....

After four hours the meat was at about 150 degrees. I wrapped it, then took a nap. When I woke up, I probed the wrapped meat and it read 200 degrees, but was NOT very tender. I was like whoa! That was fast! I decided to unwrap it and let the bark dry out for another half hour or so. Now I left he probe in to make sure I didn’t get too hot. After I unwrapped it the temp dropped steadily from 200 down to 173. About an hour later it was back up to 195. I figured the foil was artificially keeping the temp up inside the meat.

My question is, when you crutch meat, how do you monitor it? It doesn’t seem like I was able to get an accurate probe reading. Is this just me or just some weird fluke? Do you just go by time when you wrap it?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

My question is, when you crutch meat, how do you monitor it? It doesn’t seem like I was able to get an accurate probe reading. Is this just me or just some weird fluke? Do you just go by time when you wrap it?

By sticking a probe in it like normal. You saw the temperature drop because once you unwrapped, the meat was again free to evaporate as much water as it wanted which takes heat with it.

see: https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/understanding-and-beating-barbecue-stall-bane-all

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've not had any issues monitoring temp, but I will say when I used foil it turned into more of a braised meat. Try pink butcher paper. Gave me much better results.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I did a rotisserie chicken yesterday, I was inattentive and it flared up and the outside went crispy, then it stalled. I wrapped it and then took it off at 175F after a lot of messing around with temperature reading.

and it was still really good, far better than roasting a chicken in the oven, despite all the faff. Take home message is rotisserie is great

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Internet Explorer posted:

I've not had any issues monitoring temp, but I will say when I used foil it turned into more of a braised meat. Try pink butcher paper. Gave me much better results.

Also very true.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Was so happy with the chuck roast I smoked a few weeks ago, I decided to do another one.

Mesquite wood in the vertical smoker using Cowboy lump.

So this is the first time I’ve ever crutched a piece of meat. I wrapped it in foil with some beef stock and vinegar to get it through the stall.

Here’s my problem....

After four hours the meat was at about 150 degrees. I wrapped it, then took a nap. When I woke up, I probed the wrapped meat and it read 200 degrees, but was NOT very tender. I was like whoa! That was fast! I decided to unwrap it and let the bark dry out for another half hour or so. Now I left he probe in to make sure I didn’t get too hot. After I unwrapped it the temp dropped steadily from 200 down to 173. About an hour later it was back up to 195. I figured the foil was artificially keeping the temp up inside the meat.

When I had issues like that, it was due to a faulty/failed probe.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I'm pretty frustrated with my Thermoworks Billows. I'm on unit #2, and it just died mid smoke. Not being recognized by my signals. Admittedly I do leave it outside connected to my grill, but it's advertised as being weatherproof.

Hopefully their customer service comes through again, but I'll be very annoyed if I have to pay for a replacement. When it works it's great, and it's indispensable for fire and forget cooking.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

NomNomNom posted:

I'm pretty frustrated with my Thermoworks Billows. I'm on unit #2, and it just died mid smoke. Not being recognized by my signals. Admittedly I do leave it outside connected to my grill, but it's advertised as being weatherproof.

Hopefully their customer service comes through again, but I'll be very annoyed if I have to pay for a replacement. When it works it's great, and it's indispensable for fire and forget cooking.

Can’t you just get a fan from someone else? Or was it fire board that worked with guru fans?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

ThermoWorks will probably replace it. My Signals suddenly died for no reason way out of warranty and they didn’t hesitate to tell me to send it in and they’d take care of it.

I ended up buying a new one because my old one had some warped plastic from when it got too hot and even though it had worked after that incident for a year I didn’t want to take advantage of that offer.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Traeger Prairie 572 pellet smoker/grill $570 shipped including 2x20lb pellet bags. The black door model ships beginning 5/8 and the blue door model on 5/16.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Traeger also sells at Costco. If you google “traeger Costco (nearest city)” there’ll be a schedule.

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008
I hadn't pulled the trigger on buying the controller yet, so I checked out the Fireboard display at my local sporting goods store and scored one of their older style of fans on clearance for $10. It doesn't mount as nicely as the new ones but I'm sure it'll work just fine.

I do have a question about it if anyone else has one, though. Inside, there is a flap intended to prevent airflow when the fan isn't running. It doesn't have any spring on that flap, but looks like it should have one. If someone else has that older Fireboard (or Auber Instruments, it's the same one) fan, can you look inside and tell me if it has a spring? It may just work by gravity, but it's not clear.

Grandito fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 19, 2021

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
My fan doesn’t have a spring. I don’t know what generation it is but I got it like 9 months ago

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know if this is different enough to have a better suited thread, but y'all have portable grills? I always like the idea of bringing a small grill on daytrips. I love my kettle but the idea of having an open bag of charcoal in my car gives me nightmares. Also a 22" kettle is silly to put in a car. What is your portable solution?

I was thinking about getting a coleman portable camping stove since that appears to be the goto/largest selection. After reading various reviews about their pretty big line of products I ended up deciding that I'll get an "Even-Temp" propane stove. Has anyone used one? Am I going to break it with a cast iron dutch oven? How's the temperature control? 14,000 BTU per burner is a shitload of capacity and I'm worried I won't be able to turn it down for simmering.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 19, 2021

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I just bring a shorty weber charcoal grill if I'm car camping and can't have an open fire to use.
https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/portable-grills/smokey-joe/smokey-joe-charcoal-grill-14/10020.html
I am not worried about a bag of charcoal sitting in the trunk.

Those are great little stoves for cooking with no wind, and from a standing position opposed to crouching at the fire :D

Honestly, for camping I'll SV/pre-smoke a meat and then re-heat it on site vs trying to do a full low n slow in the wild.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

um excuse me posted:

I don't know if this is different enough to have a better suited thread, but y'all have portable grills? I always like the idea of bringing a small grill on daytrips. I love my kettle but the idea of having an open bag of charcoal in my car gives me nightmares. Also a 22" kettle is silly to put in a car. What is your portable solution?

I was thinking about getting a coleman portable camping stove since that appears to be the goto/largest selection. After reading various reviews about their pretty big line of products I ended up deciding that I'll get an "Even-Temp" propane stove. Has anyone used one? Am I going to break it with a cast iron dutch oven? How's the temperature control? 14,000 BTU per burner is a shitload of capacity and I'm worried I won't be able to turn it down for simmering.

I have the single burner version of that. It's great! It does get very hot but it's an analog control system, knob = fuel flow, so just turn it where you want it.

It's a portable stovetop though, not a grill or smoker so don't expect to do those sorts of things with it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

um excuse me posted:

14,000 per burner is nice but not really a lot. I think my indoor range burners are all between 10k and 20k (whereas my outdoor propane burner is 65k BTUs).

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I've got a little smokey joe for when we tailgate or go camping. I know I worry less about a bag of charcoal then a propane or butane canister in my trunk, that would feel like driving around with a bomb to me. I'm sure it's safe but I would definitely be thinking about what would happen if I got rear-ended. The smokey joe works pretty well though, you can't do everything on it at once, but I've done ribs, then flank steak, then sauteed mushrooms and sausages consecutively on it at a tail gate so it can produce a decent amount of food over the course of a party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

No pictures, but we got together for an impromptu “Wait, we’re all vaccinated?” cookout as it’s been ages since we’ve hung out and a friend bought a Pit Boss electric pellet smoker. I ran to the grocery store that sells little 3lb cuts of brisket flat and salted it in the fridge over night, then S&P and a rub in the morning. I’ve only done a full brisket in an offset smoker before so I really had no idea how long it was gonna take, and I ended up running it down the street and throwing it on his smoker at about 10AM at 250F.

It never really developed much of a bark which really doesn’t bother me, and it did stall out around 170F which I wasn’t sure would happen or not. I wrapped it then in peach paper and we raised the temp to 300F (because his smoker only does incremental temps and some genius decided to design a smoker that couldn’t be set to 275?) to throw some ribs on. It climbed to 202F by about 6PM and I threw it in a cooler while we finished smoking a few racks of ribs and sides. Turned out super juicy and tender and delicious, made some pickled red onions and onion rolls the night before to serve it on and it was great! I was pretty nervous about smoking such a small piece of brisket.