Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I think it’s a testament to her writing that, having not really followed the comic in like ten years, I still remember most of the characters there and can follow along no problem.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
octopus pie is a strong candidate for best webcomic, I think

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
It's my favorite one for sure

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It definitely does the best job juggling humor and serious stuff.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rand Brittain posted:

I wasn't ready for this.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I just realized that we didn't see Eve's mom and that both the possible reasons for that are bad.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rand Brittain posted:

I just realized that we didn't see Eve's mom and that both the possible reasons for that are bad.

I noticed that Marigold & Jane are wearing rings, which have much less depressing implications.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Somebody with a twitter ask Meredith Gran about Eve's mom for me

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Considering how she was a Never Forget neocon, I don't think it went any sort of well regardless.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Dangerous Person posted:

Somebody with a twitter ask Meredith Gran about Eve's mom for me

https://twitter.com/granulac/status/1380957131839574017

punkybird
Dec 20, 2004

LOL never change guys. what else you wanna know?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Hell yeah

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

punkybird posted:

Not a question but congrats on getting your twitter account back, I was afraid you'd lost it forever, lol :toot: .

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

punkybird posted:

What is Larry selling out of his van? He seems to have a prep table but not a refrigerator and it seems like this got started a little too early for him to be a legal weed delivery boy (also the box is too big).

EDIT: just said this and then realized I have no idea what a reasonable size box for weed to come in is, how big is a marijuana, anyway?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rand Brittain posted:

how big is a marijuana, anyway?

In Canada, eighths come in what look like little cold cream jars

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

punkybird posted:

No question, just thanks for making this add-on to such a great comic. As someone who's going to be 30 this year, OP really speaks to me. It was like catching up with old friends.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

punkybird posted:

Eyyyy thanks for making more OP! Fantastic work as always.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Thank you goon for asking and thank you Gran for more Octopus Pie

punkybird
Dec 20, 2004

Mercury Hat posted:

Not a question but congrats on getting your twitter account back, I was afraid you'd lost it forever, lol :toot: .

Thank you lol I feel pretty dumb about it, and touched that so many people cared. Made me miss being active in more online places.

Rand Brittain posted:

What is Larry selling out of his van? He seems to have a prep table but not a refrigerator and it seems like this got started a little too early for him to be a legal weed delivery boy (also the box is too big).

Just doing non-specific gig deliveries.

Yvonmukluk posted:

No question, just thanks for making this add-on to such a great comic. As someone who's going to be 30 this year, OP really speaks to me. It was like catching up with old friends.

I'm hearing this sentiment a lot, that people feel close and familiar with the characters and it's really life affirming I gotta say. Thanks so much.

shirts and skins posted:

Eyyyy thanks for making more OP! Fantastic work as always.

It was a pleasure!

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

punkybird posted:

I'm hearing this sentiment a lot, that people feel close and familiar with the characters and it's really life affirming I gotta say. Thanks so much.

It was a pleasure!

I just want to say I was the opposite, I never really sat down and invested in reading the whole thing and all I really remember from seeing single comics posted here and there was Hanna got high a lot and worked at a bakery? It was my lack of time, not from lack of quality.

But anyways even without being familiar with the cast I really enjoyed the coda and it's a testament to the writing that despite knowing basically nothing it was enjoyable to read and all the characters resonated.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

punkybird posted:

Did you always kinda know where the characters would wind up years later at the end of OP or was writing this story the first time you'd really thought about it? I mean, obviously a lot had to change due to COVID, but just the general idea.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

This was a hell of a night to decide to check the webcomics thread on a whim.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Just got around to reading that Octopus Pie update and now I'm crying over it. Thanks again for such a great comic.

punkybird
Dec 20, 2004

TwoPair posted:

Did you always kinda know where the characters would wind up years later at the end of OP or was writing this story the first time you'd really thought about it? I mean, obviously a lot had to change due to COVID, but just the general idea.

A little of each, though the window of what I wanted to show changed. My first pass had a lot of things that were in hindsight still "20s stuff" like weddings, deciding to have a baby, getting closure on that long-term relationship. Not that people only do these things in their 20s (I did not), but they all felt more transitional from the previous thing than an actual crossing over to a new place. Let's see them in the marriage, on an irreversible parenthood track, cutting through the bullshit to the essence of love... that's the new poo poo!!

threelemmings posted:

But anyways even without being familiar with the cast I really enjoyed the coda and it's a testament to the writing that despite knowing basically nothing it was enjoyable to read and all the characters resonated.

Glad to hear! I knew the story would reward the longtime reader, but I try not to be too alienating or self-referential in my work.

Not So Fast posted:

Just got around to reading that Octopus Pie update and now I'm crying over it. Thanks again for such a great comic.

:sickos:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Every beat in this story made perfect sense which is just delightful. Thank you for this perfect gift to wake up to

punkybird
Dec 20, 2004

So glad you thought so. I don't wanna bogart the thread anymore but thank you all for reading it and sharing how it affected you! Really makes my day/week.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Hi, I didn't know that you read this thread.

I just wanted to say that I love Octopus Pie, it's one of my favorite webcomics of all time.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Perfect Tides also looks dope, lookin forward to it

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

punkybird posted:

So glad you thought so. I don't wanna bogart the thread anymore but thank you all for reading it and sharing how it affected you! Really makes my day/week.

Yeah, I really want to mention instead of just asking questions that your work is incredible and that it's been an amazing experience to follow it for... however long it's been! Let's not think about those numbers!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, I really want to mention instead of just asking questions that your work is incredible and that it's been an amazing experience to follow it for... however long it's been! Let's not think about those numbers!

Very soon, oblivion will embrace us all

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

punkybird posted:

We love all input here!

Just wanted to say I seldom mention these kinds of things but your work was really well written and I enjoyed it entirely. I write (terribly) and it's so fun to read something that has characters with distinct voices and desires.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Love the way today's Girl Genius casually tosses out "by the way, everything is way more hosed than you knew."

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Maybe they'll finally get to fixing the time-stop in Mechanicsburg soon. Like another issue or 3-4 soon.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Straight White Shark posted:

Love the way today's Girl Genius casually tosses out "by the way, everything is way more hosed than you knew."

The Dreen have been a big focus of fan theories for a while now, so it's nice to get confirmation that they are in fact the horrifying time monsters we suspected. It also makes the Baron recruiting them as loyal minions even more impressive, honestly.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Joe Slowboat posted:

The Dreen have been a big focus of fan theories for a while now, so it's nice to get confirmation that they are in fact the horrifying time monsters we suspected. It also makes the Baron recruiting them as loyal minions even more impressive, honestly.

I think it's been pretty established by now that they're horrifying time monsters, but the fact that their mere presence is a worst case scenario so improbably bad that Kjarl almost dismisses it out of hand definitely puts some new context on them.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Ah, I see they finally got off Namek and met Teen Trunks.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the implication may be that there's a bunch of Dreen who were brought into the world long ago by one of the old Heterodynes and I guess bummed around until now there's a number under Wulfenbach control, but maybe the one who met Gil at the train station was a new one. The big guy in Mechanicsburg may or may not be worse.

There is that whole thing where Bang really wants to kill Zeetha, but I'm not sure where that's going now after their whole sparring session. Is she gonna stick with Agatha's bunch and bide her time, or is she going to go back with Gil and plan her next move another day?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think the implication may be that there's a bunch of Dreen who were brought into the world long ago by one of the old Heterodynes and I guess bummed around until now there's a number under Wulfenbach control, but maybe the one who met Gil at the train station was a new one. The big guy in Mechanicsburg may or may not be worse.

That's what we already knew, and up until now the implication was that having Dreen around was bad news because the Dreen are spooky and dangerous. Now Kjarl is saying that they're only there if there is catastrophic damage to the time continuum, so them being around is even worse news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Y'all be acting like Dreen appearing in the past means that the thing that brought them there happened in the past, which is probably not actually the case.