Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

phasmid posted:

Listen to Mr. Big Tough Mob Boss.

Oh, Meadow, no. Oh, child.

Fastest turn from joke to terrifying in the show history. It is rare when Mr. Big Tough Mob Boss shows up to his family, but when he does, Gandolfini really shows his my scale. Of all the things in the show, he never really loses a confontration. At least with the other monsters, that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
One of the scariest changes from kidding around to threatening violence is when he's joking with AJ about breakfast cereal when the two of them are living together in Livia's house. AJ says something about Tony coming home drunk every night and he goes from a big smile to crossing the kitchen in what seems like one big step, yanking the kid out of the chair and putting him up against the wall with a look of absolute fury. Then he challenges his sixteen year old son to a fight.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

One of the scariest changes from kidding around to threatening violence is when he's joking with AJ about breakfast cereal when the two of them are living together in Livia's house. AJ says something about Tony coming home drunk every night and he goes from a big smile to crossing the kitchen in what seems like one big step, yanking the kid out of the chair and putting him up against the wall with a look of absolute fury. Then he challenges his sixteen year old son to a fight.

Tony smiling contentedly to himself after he pours out AJ's cereal with a "Now you got nothin'" is such a perfect distillation of his character

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

abuse breeds abuse, he did surprisingly well as a father, considering his entire family(with the possible exception of Barbara)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I re-watched the bit with Tony and Jackie Jr. at the strip club and it's an amazing expression of rage, between Gandolfini doing that spectacular 'so mad I'm smiling' bit and yelling at Jackie to put his hands up and Jackie Jr. knowing if he does he's at the least going to be beaten into a pulp.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Gettin' a little lovin'?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

And then Tony finds the gun Ralphie gave Jackie and it's just all over.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And then he shows up Christmas morning, the very next day, and gives Meadow a gaudy loving necklace inscribed “I will always be true” in front of Tony and Carmela.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
"The center cannot hold. The Falcon cannot hear the Falconer..."
"What the gently caress are you talkin about?"

thinking it's time to change my wardrobe sitch, this looks like a good start.

https://twitter.com/GMPaiella/status/1380152592542670857?s=20

uber_stoat fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 8, 2021

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I get it. The guy drives a Lincoln.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Also...

People sit in chairs.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lTS8mDPFgw

This part gets me good on every single rewatch

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

doctorthefonz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lTS8mDPFgw

This part gets me good on every single rewatch

Um, that priest has a name, YouTube title. It's Monseigneur Jughead. :colbert:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I just realized something about AJ in season 6 and I'm dying at how much of a spiked little failson he is.

So the Blanca breakup happens, he tries to kill himself, ends up in 2000$ a week observation. The. He meets blondie, and there's a scene whe he says "so I hear you're modeling now" and he smiles and then an immediate jump cut to Carmella going "so you're saying he's responding to the therapy".

Lmbo he's the worst.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
horrible little poo poo. love him.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

You know...

A pint of blood costs more than a gallon of gold.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Matt Zerella posted:

I just realized something about AJ in season 6 and I'm dying at how much of a spiked little failson he is.

So the Blanca breakup happens, he tries to kill himself, ends up in 2000$ a week observation. The. He meets blondie, and there's a scene whe he says "so I hear you're modeling now" and he smiles and then an immediate jump cut to Carmella going "so you're saying he's responding to the therapy".

Lmbo he's the worst.

Rober Iler is immensely underrated, he portrayed a failson to a T and people claim he's a bad actor because of it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Vichan posted:

Rober Iler is immensely underrated, he portrayed a failson to a T and people claim he's a bad actor because of it.

Oh yeah when I say I hate AJ I mean the character. Iler is great. Same for Janice.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nitch said God is dead.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Sun Tazoo, da Chinese prince Matchabelli.

Mushroom Zingdom
Jan 28, 2007
Nap Ghost
I also love how AJ becomes a proto-goon and extremely online in a Bush-era way, and during the finale offers a passionate but scattered and incoherent critique of American culture and nobody at the table knows what the gently caress he's talking about.

One of my favorite moments near the end of Season 6a, when Tony is talking to him in the parking lot after his aborted attempt to kill Junior... Gandalfini's amazingly well-sold mixture of anger and desperate relief from bailing AJ out of serious trouble, and then when AJ explains that he was trying to follow in the footsteps of The Godfather, Tony's tone softens as he realizes that he isn't reasoning with an adult but in fact trying to reach a child. "It's a movie... AJ, you gotta grow up. You're not a kid anymore. You hear me? You gotta grow up." and this causes AJ to immediately dry-heave. Their exchange is kind of similar to the emotional arc of the scene when he rescues him from the pool.

I forget if someone posted this earlier in the thread but I'll put it here again:
https://twitter.com/nickusen/status/1195761127160000512?s=20

Mushroom Zingdom fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 11, 2021

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

uber_stoat posted:

Sun Tazoo, da Chinese prince Matchabelli.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_VbsCS97EA

Love how he's nodding along before proceeding to do the exact opposite of what he just learned.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Tzu, Tzu! It’s TZU you fuckin’ asskiss.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I watched a Christopher mashup on youtube and holy poo poo I forgot how many times and how often he beats Adrianna

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mushroom Zingdom posted:

I forget if someone posted this earlier in the thread but I'll put it here again:

I love Tony doesn't even say anything. He doesn't even look particularly more disgusted, just a mixture of confusion/annoyance.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Mushroom Zingdom posted:

Cumtown is a podcast about taking the omertà with your dad.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Dawgstar posted:

Nitch said God is dead.

That other fuckin kid is even worse. "You wanna talk philosophy, you gotta start at the beginning. Kierkegaard." :smug:

Oooooh, I knew you in school you little bitch.

Mushroom Zingdom
Jan 28, 2007
Nap Ghost

Dawgstar posted:

I love Tony doesn't even say anything. He doesn't even look particularly more disgusted, just a mixture of confusion/annoyance.

A particularly observant YouTube comment also pointed out that this is even funnier when you realize that the mobsters mostly spend all day just sitting around shooting the poo poo in Satriale's / The Bing.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
IDK why I waited so long to rewatch this. It holds up probably better than any other TV show I can think of. And CHRIST is it funny. The varsity athlete stuff with Uncle Junior had me howling today.

BiggerBoat posted:

I watched a Christopher mashup on youtube and holy poo poo I forgot how many times and how often he beats Adrianna

The 2 things that REALLY stick out that wouldn't be shown on TV today is the level of violence against women that is depicted and how racist everyone is.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I still can’t help finding Tony getting a panic attack triggered by a jar of Uncle Ben’s funny :(

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

mcmagic posted:

The 2 things that REALLY stick out that wouldn't be shown on TV today is the level of violence against women that is depicted and how racist everyone is.

I don't know if it would be all that different. HBO has consistently put out shows about terrible people doing and saying reprehensible things since the show ended.

Chris' treatment of Adriana is always a gut punch though. I watched the one where she tells him she might have fertility problems yesterday and the speed with which he goes from saying he loves her and wants to marry her to screaming that she's 'damaged goods' is a real kick in the teeth. Then it cuts to him having a reasonable, even tempered conversation with Tony and the gang about the situation. On my rewatch he's definitely come across as the least likeable character - I think in the early 2000s a lot of his behaviour would have been normalised and rationalised away.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

he definitely ranks up there with Richie Aprile and Ralph

Mushroom Zingdom
Jan 28, 2007
Nap Ghost
Chris also parroting AA and NA literature non-stop while going about the tasks of being a mobster, shaking down his sponsor, and even relapsing is so twisted, in-character, and hilarious.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
These Rooms of Ours

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why didn't you call your sponsor?

He's out of town!

Why the gently caress didn't you call me?

*blank stare*

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kVE1BuxCR0

Tangentially related but I just found out that Sammy Gravano has a podcast.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
this thing showcases so many subtly different varieties of masculine mental wrongness, you need a psychology textbook for reference while you watch it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
TMZ - ‘Sopranos’ Actor Joseph Siravo Dead at 66

Goodnight Johnny Boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

he was a saint