Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Maksimus54 posted:

Super stoked for the box pass. I'll just ask now for a refresher on how this works and any boxpass etiquette I wouldn't know about since this is my first time

I included a little letter in the box, but the basics are you can take anything out of the box you want, as long as you replace it with something of at least comparable value. I also pre-printed the shipping to make everything as smooth as possible, so to cover your share of shipping you can just toss in an extra stick or two. Also, make sure to post when you get the box!

Once you've done whatever swapping you like, re-pack everything as securely as possible, stick the next label on, and drop it off at the post office. I've got a 60g Boveda in there that should be plenty to keep the cigars fresh during the journey.

If this all goes well it could be fun to do it every few months, weather permitting. Now that I've got all the pieces together it should be really easy to do again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I would love to make the pass a regular thing! I think something I had wanted to include in the box won't quite be ready by the time it gets to me, and I don't want to bogart it 😹

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Had a GTO La Cura earlier and it was real nice. It's gorgeous out so I'm settling in with some Glenfarclas 12 and a Tatuaje black which I've not had before.

Related question-do you guys do anything differently when lighting a closed foot? I usually mouth light to taste the wrapper and then toast some more to make sure it lit evenly

Edit: Does Pete Johnson ever miss? Goddamn this is nice.

Gramps fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 10, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah those black labels are stupendous.

I don't really change anything up with a closed foot. I'll toast a little longer to make sure I've got an even start, but that's about it.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Just scored a little banger of a Cuban order,

5 Juan Lopez no. 2
5 PL Picadores
5 SLR Regios
4 Diplo 2
4 ERDM Choix Supreme
4 QdO 54

I haven't tried any of these before so I'm pretty jazzed to not have to buy boxes or deal with box splits of each one.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
ERDM CS are the best flavor of any regular production Cuban IMO. if they were a little stronger I’d probably only smoke them.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Ophidian posted:

Padron anniversarios would be a nice 40th birthday stick. I think they even have a 40th

They do have a 40, but it’s a Series 1926. And quite good.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I’m smoking an Ezra Zion Melted Ice Grim and it’s pretty tasty. All the EZ stuff I’ve had has been pretty good. I’m debating about signing up for their coffee and cigar of the month club.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Had my first yard-gar mowing the lawn, an AF short story. It's clear as hell here in the PNW so I think we'll sit outside around the fire tonight and I'll find something a little more substantial. I don't often smoke 2 in a day but it's nice enough out and I'm sore enough from yardwork I think I've earned it

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Smoked a little Tatuaje Havana VI Verocu today. Great little short smoke, nice and punchy. I smoked a Rose of Sharon lancero yesterday and it was very pleasant, and the strawberry notes floated it in very subtly at the end. Very nice.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

They finally fuckin came!

I, obviously, have pulled a Bolivar PC to smoke right off the truck. We'll see how effective those little Boveda packs were.

Box dates are great, too. Latest one is from June 2019, so these boys might need a little rest but otherwise are fuckin ready.

The humidor is extremely powerful right now. Hopefully those LAdC Rothschildes are going to be ready this Friday, it'll have been a few weeks since they got here.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I got the box for the first leg of the box pass. There are a lot of great sticks in here, this should be a bunch of fun!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Maksimus54 posted:

I got the box for the first leg of the box pass. There are a lot of great sticks in here, this should be a bunch of fun!

Hell yeah! Glad it showed up safe! Me and my buddies tried to really fill out the box with fun stuff. I'm looking forward to how it progresses.

I smoked a lovely MF Opulencia corona tonight.

I don't know what I can say that hasn't been said. Lightly spicy, rich, perfumey, and well-built. The burn wandered a couple times but we recovered. Friendly evening smoke.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

My last H.Upmann AJ. This might be the most underrated smoke out there. I never see people talking about it but they should be. Well made, affordable, and quite tasty. Nutty and creamy with a really nice citrus note that you just don't get all that often. These are a steal if you pay 100 a box like I did.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'll pick up a fiver of those, you've got me too curious!

I opened the humidor after my drive back from work and good Lord it smells like a nice walk-in humidor when I open the door. This is what it's supposed to be like!!

Looks like I gotta make my replacement humidor drawers this weekend so I can fit them all in properly.

Illusione Rothschild was dry boxing all day, and it's a real spicy, funky winner. Papa Frita on tap for later on in the night after I shower.

Bolivar PC was quite promising last night - can't wait for them to really come into their own.

I hope y'all are having just as lovely a smoking week as I am!

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I really want to fire one up and sit in front of the fire pit today but after this week and last week at work I don’t think I’m going to make it.

If I can I’m going to dip into the monte 4s

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hahaha holy poo poo my mailman just stopped by asking if we like cigars because he could smell them, he dropped off a Macanudo Cafe and Jose L Piedra Cazador. I passed him some Partagas Shorts and Bolivar PCs to trade.

LOVELY! I may invite him to Chicago events since he's chill 😹

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

NewFatMike posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo my mailman just stopped by asking if we like cigars because he could smell them, he dropped off a Macanudo Cafe and Jose L Piedra Cazador. I passed him some Partagas Shorts and Bolivar PCs to trade.

nothin beats making a new cigar pal

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

Hell yeah that rocks.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I picked a couple to keep and a few more to pass on. Would you like us to keep track of what we give and take to the box?

I'll get it out tomorrow most likely

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I'd say just post about what you took out of the box (maybe a picture!) but leave the rest of the box and your additions a secret. I think that's the most fun way to do things.

Smoked a La Aurora Preferidos Gold tonight. Very charming smoke, less complex than the Leaf corojo but nice flavor and excellent construction. I might try this one at least in a robusto to get a bit longer smoke out of it.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Normally you post your takes and puts and everyone sort of approves the fairness before you send it on its way but I think this is such a small pass it probably doesn’t matter as much.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

Gramps posted:

Went a little ham on cigarbid freefalls yesterday. Got some Perez Carillo E-III, Oliva Melanio Maduro figurados, a full box of Rose of Sharon toros, and a Camacho Sampler. Hyped.

Now I gotta figure out some fancy boy sticks I can get locally for my 40th birthday coming up

This order, and my secondary head of this degenerate, two-headed ogre of an order showed up today, so your boys are about to party.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Nexein posted:

This order, and my secondary head of this degenerate, two-headed ogre of an order showed up today, so your boys are about to party.

Speakin of partyin', we just ripped some EP Carillo La Historias in the E-III vitola. They rocked. 67 bucks for a box of 10 on freefall on Cigarbid is a price worth pulling the trigger on without a second thought.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Smoked my last cohiba lancero that’s probably... 15 years old or so? I cracked the wrapper when I was organizing and decided today was as good as any to smoke it. I was saving it for when I bought my house last August but never got around to it.

It was a gift from a CA friend and has the diplomatic gift band (which doesn’t mean anything really).

It was delicious. A little plugged but nothing a paper clip and some massaging couldn’t fix.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
These are the sticks I chose. I'm dangerously low on humidor space so I put a few more in than I took this go around, looking forward to seeing what all ends up in the box!

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

My Father no.1 got the nod this morning. I just lit it, but so far this is the platonic ideal of a cigar flavored cigar. It reminds me of a cohiba red dot but more robust and meaty. I'm not convinced there are better cigar blenders alive than Jaime and Don Pepin. The more of their portfolio I smoke the more impressed I get. I hear these get compared to Cubans a lot-curious what the people who smoke a lot of Habanos think of them.

Edit : bar none one of the best sticks I've ever had the pleasure of smoking. Big meaty flavor and a finish that goes on forever. The flavor on retrohales is really special. Deceptively strong though- not for smoking with an empty gas tank. This has earned an eternal spot in the humi.

Gramps fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 15, 2021

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Maksimus54 posted:

These are the sticks I chose. I'm dangerously low on humidor space so I put a few more in than I took this go around, looking forward to seeing what all ends up in the box!

Those are tasty smokes, nice rich figgy broadleaf wrappers. Excited that the box will be on its way again soon.

Gramps posted:

My Father no.1 got the nod this morning. I just lit it, but so far this is the platonic ideal of a cigar flavored cigar. It reminds me of a cohiba red dot but more robust and meaty. I'm not convinced there are better cigar blenders alive than Jaime and Don Pepin. The more of their portfolio I smoke the more impressed I get. I hear these get compared to Cubans a lot-curious what the people who smoke a lot of Habanos think of them.

Edit : bar none one of the best sticks I've ever had the pleasure of smoking. Big meaty flavor and a finish that goes on forever. The flavor on retrohales is really special. Deceptively strong though- not for smoking with an empty gas tank. This has earned an eternal spot in the humi.

I've been wanting to try the My Father no. 1 for a while now. The Garcias are incredible, I love everything they've touched. Sounds great.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Rd 2 and the Tatuaje black petit lancero gets the call. These are fabulous in every vitola I've tried but the medium/smallish ones are a little spicier. This petit lancero is kinda in the sweet spot. It's not rocking my face off like the MF no1 did earlier but it's delicious and I'm happy to be alive right now. Cheers goons!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Smoked a marvelous Nub Connecticut 460 tonight. Just as sweet and creamy and mild as you'd like in a Connecticut, and burned beautifully the whole time. That was a delicious cigar.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Kenning posted:

Smoked a marvelous Nub Connecticut 460 tonight.
The wind up...the pitch...

quote:

That was a delicious cigar.

He hits it out of the park!!! Never had a disappointing Nub of any kind, but prefer the Habano just for the spice!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Had a Macanudo Hampton Court Cafe, which my mailman gifted me.

I really enjoyed it. Very grassy, then some delightful cream and a little ramping piquance right at the end. I may keep an eye out for those, and I'll keep them in mind for when those Jose L Piedras are ready, because it was really reminding me of those.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Good to hear the bigger Macanudo Cafes are also good! I've only had the two smallest vitolas, but I quite like them as an easy friendly smoke. I'll have to try some bigger ones if I can find them for cheap.

I've been out of the thread for a few days, but I've smoked some excellent cigars in that time. Gotta catch up!

DerekSmartymans posted:

The wind up...the pitch...

He hits it out of the park!!! Never had a disappointing Nub of any kind, but prefer the Habano just for the spice!

Had a Nub Habano on Saturday! It was a bit cold and windy, but still smoked very nicely. Had to do a bit of work with the PerfecDraw to get the draw straight, but the sweet spiciness was there. It's a bit hard for me to rate the Nubs anymore, other than to say that the Nub Maduro was terrible. Nub Dub was loving excellent, but I've also had beautiful smokes with the Connecticut and Cameroon lately, and historically the Habano has been one of my favorites. It's really a nice brand, especially for people new to cigars, since it really captures the styles of the different wrapper leaves.

I had a Rose of Sharon lancero today, which is honestly just excellent. It's a mellow Connecticut, but it opened up with some cracking white pepper, and throughout the last half or so there were hints of freeze-dried strawberry right at the edges of each puff (I've been on a freeze-dried fruit kick lately and there's a particular ghostly flavor to freeze-dried strawberry). After a break and some dinner I had one of those Tatuaje Havana VI Verocu and I'm consistently impressed how those manage to taste like the tang of black pepper but without the spicy bite that that usually implies in a cigar. Wonderful rich little smoke.

It's been so nice to have my humidor back at a reasonable humidity, everything is smoking amazing. That said, we're starting to enter the time of year when the ambient humidity is too high rather than too low. In winter we run the heater, and the winds are variable, so humidity is in the 50s. In summer there's no heater and we get onshore winds, so humidity can regularly be in the mid-high 70s. Gonna have to do some fiddling to keep everything smoking nicely. I guess that's part of what makes cigar smoking a hobby and not just a vice.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

I had a Rose of Sharon lancero today, which is honestly just excellent. It's a mellow Connecticut, but it opened up with some cracking white pepper, and throughout the last half or so there were hints of freeze-dried strawberry right at the edges of each puff (I've been on a freeze-dried fruit kick lately and there's a particular ghostly flavor to freeze-dried strawberry)

"Ghostly Flavor" is what defines the Rose of Sharon for me. There's a shitload going on, but it's very ethereal especially in the first third. If you can really focus in on one it's a wild ride. Your palate will struggle to get a fix on the flavors swirling around for the first 20 minutes or so, and then it settles into a creamy sweet nutty thing with a little spice and that strawberry ghost note. Might be my favorite cigar all time, and I'm really amped to have just received a full box of toros.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Gramps birthday double post! Nexein and I had a my father no1 which was great, a Serino Gordo thing that we bailed on cause it tasted like ashtray, and a perdomo lot 23 Maduro which was pretty good. We had tacos and whisky too. Birthdays kinda own of you do em right

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Happy birthday Gramps! Sounds like you did the gently caress out of it right!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Kenning posted:

Smoked a marvelous Nub Connecticut 460 tonight. Just as sweet and creamy and mild as you'd like in a Connecticut, and burned beautifully the whole time. That was a delicious cigar.

The Nub Cameroon is on my list of top 5 cigars. Like others have said, though - never a bad stick in that line.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Oh and hey why did I not know about the Vegueros Mañanitas? Absolutely delicious, mild, creamy, and the perfect size for my taste.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oh hell yeah I've been curious about those. Another on the list!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Smoked a Flathead last night. The last time I smoked one I think it had gone rather dry, and was cracky and the flavor was poor. This one was much better since I've gotten my humidity back under control, and was just rolls of smoke and excellent Broadleaf flavor all the way down. One thing I can say about the Flatheads, I've never had one that didn't have a perfect draw. The burn wandered a bit, but nothing crazy. Quite nice.