Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

anime was right posted:

i love one piece

being excited about luffy punching bad guys is making me feel like a kid again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

me a few chapters ago

"man this Sabo guy seems real meh. he's just this real important guy luffy knew as a kid that hadn't come up before? :rolleyes:"

me now

"gently caress 'EM UP SABO! :hellyeah:"

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

sabo still sucks

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
I hope Sabo punches Akainu through his midsection

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Eiba posted:

He's still far from the top, but up until this chapter it looked like there was an unscalable sheer cliff in front of him, and now for the first time I can actually see him climbing it.

Great post.

The sheer hype factor of Luffy doing the thing. Hes doing the thing and fighting the way the Pirate King and his Rival did back in their absolute primes, and against the "strongest being in the world". He is ramming that power ceiling that was established so long ago and looking like hell bust clean through

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Eiba posted:

He's going to punch people real good.

He's still far from the top, but up until this chapter it looked like there was an unscalable sheer cliff in front of him, and now for the first time I can actually see him climbing it.

Maybe this isn't as big a deal as my brain is making it out to be, but: he's not even using his Devil Fruit.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Andrast posted:

sabo still sucks

Sabo and Ace both suffer from manageable cases of Poochieitis, and Sabo's main demerit between the two is that he doesn't get any post death backstory. Ace still pops up having done stuff, while Sabo rarely does anything.

For instance Ace just got some adjacent good will from very cool girl Tama. Meanwhile as far as we know Sabo didn't even waved to Vivi or Water Buffalo Guy, despite being at Reverie.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m still not completely convinced that Sabo is dead but I want to believe if only for the fact that it’s hilarious that he was so worthless to the story that Oda just killed him off entirely off-screen.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
its pretty obvious that the government tried to frame sabo for something, not that sabo died (again)

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
sabo will unlock the hidden powers of the phoenix in the fire fruit (totally not the same as marco, DUH) so he can die over and over again.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

anime was right posted:

its pretty obvious that the government tried to frame sabo for something, not that sabo died (again)

i mean he'#s obviously not dead but he also invaded the reverie so I don't think they needed to frame him

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Jose posted:

i mean he'#s obviously not dead but he also invaded the reverie so I don't think they needed to frame him

they framed him for killing vivis dad

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
In a series that loves to plan things out Sabo feels like a massive last-minute write-in in a way that makes his existence kind of offputting.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I don't really mind his existence now but yeah the way he was introduced stands out as pretty bad in a story that's normally really good about that kind of thing.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Bleck posted:

Maybe this isn't as big a deal as my brain is making it out to be, but: he's not even using his Devil Fruit.

I feel like this aspect will be crucial when facing off against Blackbeard and his Darkness/Earthquake wombo combo.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Blockhouse posted:

In a series that loves to plan things out Sabo feels like a massive last-minute write-in in a way that makes his existence kind of offputting.

It's so bad but gently caress if I don't want to see this guy gently caress up some marines

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Starting to think One Piece might be good, actually. Going to give it another 1000 chapters just to be certain.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

anime was right posted:

they framed him for killing vivis dad

And kidnapping Vivi, since that will keep her in the story.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
you'd think rayleigh would have at least mentioned this conqueror's haki concept to luffy, considering he was explicitly aiming to fight and dethrone the four pirate emperors of the world

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

the anime ep was really good again this week btw

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tbp posted:

you'd think rayleigh would have at least mentioned this conqueror's haki concept to luffy, considering he was explicitly aiming to fight and dethrone the four pirate emperors of the world

I think Luffy may be not actually doing the thing that the old man was trying to teach him how to do in prison. That seemed like an actual process of using armament haki in a specific sequence to do a master level attack. Meanwhile Luffy looks to be using his conqueror's haki to do a similar end result through a different process.

It's also possible that since this is a Wano martial art that Rayleigh was simply unaware of it. Also it seems that Raleigh's whole teaching philosophy was that you got to figure out actual uses for Conqueror's haki yourself, since almost all of Luffy's alone time training seems to be on how to use it and not the standard types.

Armament and Observation are largely just ways to use haki to augment yourself/things you're in contact with. Conqueror's haki is manifesting pure will into the environment on it's own. So the inherent differences in each person's will could make it so your have to mostly figure out anything above the basics on your own.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

readingatwork posted:

Starting to think One Piece might be good, actually. Going to give it another 1000 chapters just to be certain.

I was just thinking I should give it another thousand rereads.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Rayleigh only stuck around for 6 months training Luffy anyways. I’m sure if he was there for the other year and a half he might have mentioned the cool things you can do with Conqueror’s Haki

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i mean we see roger and whitebeard using it in the flashback too so its definitely like a Thing he should know. you'd just think he'd say "hey luffy just a headsup when you get a bit better at the whole haki thing try throwing in that Special Conquerors Haki we have, its what all the big guys do

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think this is one of the only times in the story Zoro has landed one of his Finishing Moves and it doesn't even knock his opponent down.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

tbp posted:

i mean we see roger and whitebeard using it in the flashback too so its definitely like a Thing he should know. you'd just think he'd say "hey luffy just a headsup when you get a bit better at the whole haki thing try throwing in that Special Conquerors Haki we have, its what all the big guys do

Rayleigh would never tell people, in more ways than one, how to get to Laugh Tale.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Bleck posted:

Rayleigh would never tell people, in more ways than one, how to get to Laugh Tale.

its this. his philosophy is very clearly "here's the full box of legos, ill be keeping the instruction manual though, have fun figuring it out." if that's a process that seems wrong or alien to you, then this manga about the spirit of adventure and self discovery may not be for you

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
I'm starting to wonder if the eventual Luffy vs Blackbeard fight is just going to be a one-sided curb stomping in Luffy's favor. As far as we've seen, Teach hasn't shown any ability to use haki at all. Then again, Shanks took the dude seriously before he had a single devil fruit, and I can't see anyone without at least armament giving him lasting physical damage.

...You know, aside from that sea-king.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Blackbeard turned down an offer to be a division commander when he was a Whitebeard pirate - no way he doesn't know how to use Haki... it's like how Ace never showed it b/c he died before haki was introduced, BB hasn't really fought since the introduction of haki either.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Desumaytah posted:

I'm starting to wonder if the eventual Luffy vs Blackbeard fight is just going to be a one-sided curb stomping in Luffy's favor. As far as we've seen, Teach hasn't shown any ability to use haki at all. Then again, Shanks took the dude seriously before he had a single devil fruit, and I can't see anyone without at least armament giving him lasting physical damage.

The dude crushed Marco and the other Whitebeard pirates when they came for payback. He wouldn't be able to do that off the back of devil fruit abilities alone

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, Blackbeard has to have something in his favour besides his fruits. We're not really used to seeing villains get knocked down the same as the heroes just as part of the general narrative (the knockback stream, Magellan), but it's entirely believable that Blackbeard could have hidden strengths like Luffy does while also occasionally getting his rear end kicked and resorting to underhand tactics like shooting Whitebeard. Hell, Luffy and Zoro were getting pushed back by Apoo barely an hour ago in-universe.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Yeah it's a bit weird considering Blackbeard definitely seemed a tier below Whitebeard given their interaction at Marineford. But if Luffy is gonna take down Mom or Kaido that seems to already be in that Whitebeard tier.

But OP isn't always about power levels and, hell, Blackbeard could've gotten stronger over the timeskip too.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Teach's non-Devil Fruit advantage is that he's incredibly devious and plays dirty even by pirate standards. See the entire Marineford gambit ending with Teach ordering his crew to just shoot Whitebeard the moment things looked bad for him.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Gyges posted:

I think Luffy may be not actually doing the thing that the old man was trying to teach him how to do in prison. That seemed like an actual process of using armament haki in a specific sequence to do a master level attack. Meanwhile Luffy looks to be using his conqueror's haki to do a similar end result through a different process.

It's also possible that since this is a Wano martial art that Rayleigh was simply unaware of it. Also it seems that Raleigh's whole teaching philosophy was that you got to figure out actual uses for Conqueror's haki yourself, since almost all of Luffy's alone time training seems to be on how to use it and not the standard types.

Armament and Observation are largely just ways to use haki to augment yourself/things you're in contact with. Conqueror's haki is manifesting pure will into the environment on it's own. So the inherent differences in each person's will could make it so your have to mostly figure out anything above the basics on your own.

I think the point Rayleigh emphasized during the Katakuri flashback is critical here. He mentioned that observation haki became stronger through use in a serious battle. At no point was Rayleigh going to get into a life or death fight with Luffy, he was just training him to get accustomed to using and understanding the basics of haki. I'm sure Rayleigh knew a lot more than he talked to Luffy about, but it would have been a waste of time to give him hypotheticals instead of letting him learn that on his own.

Desumaytah posted:

Blackbeard has been confirmed to be able to use armament and observation haki (in the Vivre Cards), and I would bet good money he'll have conqueror's when the showdown between he and Luffy commences. Though I could also see a narrative reason to specifically not have him using conqueror's based on what an anomaly he is.

Of course, the third of the Blackbeard triplets who takes over every 8 hours? That guy is riddled with conqueror's haki. Can't get enough of it! Almost has as much of it as he has nanomachines and a Cerberus devil fruit.

Scratchman Apoo fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 11, 2021

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Scratchman Apoo posted:

I think the point Rayleigh emphasized during the Katakuri flashback is critical here. He mentioned that observation haki became stronger through use in a serious battle. At no point was Rayleigh going to get into a life or death fight with Luffy, he was just training him to get accustomed to using and understanding the basics of haki. I'm sure Rayleigh knew a lot more than he talked to Luffy about, but it would have been a waste of time to give him hypotheticals instead of letting him learn that on his own.

yeah, the whole basis of Luffy’s training was to shove him on an island with literally hundreds of hostile wild animals with a higher power level than him, “sink or swim, kid” was kinda implicit.

Speaking of training, it’s pretty great that Luffy was shoved on a deadly island for years and Zoro was just deprived of his alcohol fix until he could figure out how to make good armament haki. And I threw out this theory before, but I really gotta wonder if he didn’t at least tie with Mihawk cause he seems pretty chill about his loss all things considered.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

I think this is one of the only times in the story Zoro has landed one of his Finishing Moves and it doesn't even knock his opponent down.

Did he land anything on Enel?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Blackbeard has been confirmed to be able to use armament and observation haki (in the Vivre Cards)

Huh, that makes his obsession with the Yami Yami even odder. It would have made sense if he wanted a way to hurt logias because he was born without the necessary midichlorians for Color of Armaments, but otherwise, why would he want the Yami Yami specifically?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Huh, that makes his obsession with the Yami Yami even odder. It would have made sense if he wanted a way to hurt logias because he was born without the necessary midichlorians for Color of Armaments, but otherwise, why would he want the Yami Yami specifically?

Blackbeard’s hobbies are history research and the like according to the SBSes, it’s not too hard to figure that he read up on the Dark Dark fruit being the king of all devil fruits and inferred that it might be the king because lets you cheat the rules by hearing that it’s darkness absorbs poo poo like a black hole.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
The ending of the battle at Marineford suggests the Yami Yami fruit has some way to steal devil fruit powers from users, and Blackbeard has been spending time after the timeskip hunting down specific fruit powers for his crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Also it outright prevents a user from using it when you grab them, compared to haki just letting you grab them and damage them while they can still freely use their powers which is probably not a good idea with someone like Akainu.