Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
someone at Microsoft thinking "cygwin is real good I think it just needs a rebranding and we can capture the entire Linux user base!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

wsl is in no way as jank as cygwin lol

animist
Aug 28, 2018
i'm gonna dual boot and use windows for gaming still, gaming on linux doesn't work lol

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

sb hermit posted:

bazel is insane... and each tensorflow update requires a new version of bazel

building tensorflow is one mechanism I use to stress test a system because bazel just uses all the processors and as much memory as possible. And I think that if you have more cores, then the memory requirements go up. Great way to see if your system can handle the max load for an extended time.

it's good, actually

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mr. Crow posted:

someone at Microsoft thinking "cygwin is real good I think it just needs a rebranding and we can capture the entire Linux user base!"
Cygwin is not at all like WSL. It is a complete PITA and does not run unmodified linux binaries with perfect compatibility.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Pie Colony posted:

it's good, actually

FOR ME TO POOP ON

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Pie Colony posted:

it's good, actually

to be clear, I'm not saying it's bad

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DoomTrainPhD posted:

FOR ME TO POOP ON

:boom:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Pie Colony posted:

it's good, actually

tell me you work at google without telling me you work for google challenge

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

sb hermit posted:

bazel is insane... and each tensorflow update requires a new version of bazel

building tensorflow is one mechanism I use to stress test a system because bazel just uses all the processors and as much memory as possible. And I think that if you have more cores, then the memory requirements go up. Great way to see if your system can handle the max load for an extended time.

So does ninja, and it was how I found out that using jumbo builds with qtwebengine completely exhausts all 32GB RAM my workstation has until the oom killer intervenes.

It uses >2GB per core and spins up one thread per core including virtual ones…

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Gazpacho posted:

psa: if you're still running apache httpd it's been a good run but you have only a couple weeks to switch to nginx before you become a hopeless laggard

That chart includes node.js which is an application server, or do they mean to say that many people expose node.js with no reverse proxy?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

animist posted:

i'm gonna dual boot and use windows for gaming still, gaming on linux doesn't work lol

i thought wine was getting pretty good

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

xtal posted:

That chart includes node.js which is an application server, or do they mean to say that many people expose node.js with no reverse proxy?

what does your heart tell you?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

wine works pretty good, but anticheat like eac won't work, so if you need support for that you're screwed

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nginx is really just overtaking apache now?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cygwin is extremely terrible

wsl just works

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008

akadajet posted:

wsl is in no way as jank as cygwin lol

wsl1 kinda was. i'm surprised someone considered it a good idea. "implementing linux kernel apis on top of our abstractions which map in no shape or form, how hard can it be?". well, ask the good people who tried to make lx branded zones on solaris a thing (or the freebsd linux compat crap). though both of those would have been more suited targets since there's at least parity in terms of certain kernel features given the unix lineage.

wsl2 is alright though i suppose. except for the fact that it further illustrates how useless windows machines are for serious dev work. "look, it works just fine as long as i run all my software in a transparent linux vm". cool story bro.

epitaph fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 11, 2021

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nobody needs linux for serious development. the only person who needs a linux for dev is linux torvolds so he can make his hobby os.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

ive been reading lot of 80s computer magazines lately and it mildly annoys me were still stuck to what amount to unix and vms

guess they work?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shaggar posted:

nobody needs linux for serious development. the only person who needs a linux for dev is linux torvolds so he can make his hobby os.

Embedded Linux is a thing OP.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I was asked for WinCE drivers the other day!

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
wince

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Shaggar posted:

serious development

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Sagebrush posted:

cygwin is extremely terrible

wsl just works

I have the opposite experience. had a devil of a time getting wsl to install because all windows store stuff is janky as hell, and I don’t think I’ve actually used it after all that because i can’t see what the point is.

cygwin works fine and integrates well with windows. sure it’s not linux and it’s probably poo poo if you try to use it as linux, but who cares, there is basically zero overlap between “I need to run this native linux binary” and “I need to run this on my desktop”

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Soricidus posted:

cygwin works fine

:wrong:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Soricidus posted:

I have the opposite experience. had a devil of a time getting wsl to install because all windows store stuff is janky as hell, and I don’t think I’ve actually used it after all that because i can’t see what the point is.

cygwin works fine and integrates well with windows. sure it’s not linux and it’s probably poo poo if you try to use it as linux, but who cares, there is basically zero overlap between “I need to run this native linux binary” and “I need to run this on my desktop”
Is this like one of those amazon reviews where people give a product 1 star because they had a problem with the delivery and haven't actually received it?

mystes fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 11, 2021

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

unsure how well this fits in this thread but a friend showed me one of those iceberg things but it's about computers and has clickable links for sources
https://suricrasia.online/iceberg/

there's obviously a few fictional things thrown in there to keep it entertaining (the basilisk collection, for example) but as far as i can tell the majority of them are real

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

what in the gently caress is that avatar

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

jesus WEP posted:

a gift from fyad you ungrateful little poo poo

nah ive already prepared a new av im just waiting until i find all my gangtag links and also convince myself that spending 5 dollars on a jpeg isnt a bad financial decision (spending money on jpegs....... history is a flat circle...,.,.,..,,..,,..)

mystes
May 31, 2006

It kind of looks like it's supposed to be in the style of an erotic ukiyoe print (shunga) for some reason...

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

matti posted:

ive been reading lot of 80s computer magazines lately and it mildly annoys me were still stuck to what amount to unix and vms

guess they work?

this is a very linux opinion lol

gently caress stability, i want something new

mystes
May 31, 2006

carry on then posted:

Linux, noted for not clinging to decades old ways of doing stuff.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mystes posted:

Linux, noted for not clinging to decades old ways of doing stuff.

they call it CADT for a reason lol

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Lol someone actually defended cygwin

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the depravity of the linux thread knows no bounds.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

carry on then posted:

download and install plan 9

you'll hate it

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

plan9 is alright but not for me tbh
tried it out as part of an SDF bootcamp

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

animist posted:

Man just install steam and use proton. It legitimately works great. My gaming machine has been on Ubuntu for years and I've been able to play Witcher 3, Dishonored, Dark Souls 3, all kinds of AAA games with no issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Like once you tick the box for "use steamplay for all titles" you literally can just install and play games like if you were on windows.