Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

RareAcumen posted:

Personally I can't wait till these girls taking selfies become the main focus of the plot for 3 months. They look cool.

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-154
I remember first reading that page and thinking those characters were far too interesting looking to be random NPCs. I figured they were either soon to be introduced or Zach was throwing in fanart of someone / something, and sure enough, they're the latter.

On another note, I think it's kinda neat that Penny is the 'chosen one' family heiress but also is the 'chosen one' white aura spectral who can handle wights. Overshadowing Rick on both fronts. (Though who the hell knows what kind of spirit he's got bottled up.)

e: rereading this chapter I as usual picked up a head smacking wordplay I missed the first time.
https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-7-page-28
"s'mosgasbord" lmao

Fecha fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fecha posted:

I remember first reading that page and thinking those characters were far too interesting looking to be random NPCs. I figured they were either soon to be introduced or Zach was throwing in fanart of someone / something, and sure enough, they're the latter.

On another note, I think it's kinda neat that Penny is the 'chosen one' family heiress but also is the 'chosen one' white aura spectral who can handle wights. Overshadowing Rick on both fronts. (Though who the hell knows what kind of spirit he's got bottled up.)

This chapter had me assuming that Spender was also trying to hold back a Wight as well.

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-7-page-18

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Well, we know the broken sculpture is holding something like a "nuclear bomb", and Lucifer is fighting against it keeping it in balance.

We also know Sockpuppy is dead/gone/whatever, and it was Mina's first (and possibly had the most potential) artificial spirit, and that it had the power to control spirits.

On top of that, implications from earlier in this chapter suggest that Mina and Rick were both involved in "the incident" that presumably led to Rick getting possessed by the shadow spirit. This "incident" led the Burgers to investigate the situation further, and led Mina/Rick to feel not only responsible for it but also to become distrustful of others to such a level that they both passively/actively oppose the Consortium.

Given that the opening pages of this chapter has Garcia urging Rick to reunite with Mina, and given that the comic has an overall theme of "you can't really do anything on your own, you need to work with your friends", and given that they both are stubborn dorks, I'm betting that they were trying to tackle the same problem of the Wight using two different routes/methods.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

RareAcumen posted:

This chapter had me assuming that Spender was also trying to hold back a Wight as well.
Oh yeah, it could very well just be another wight. It would kind of make sense--yellow not being aligned properly with white, he needs Lucifer's constant help to actually pacify the thing, and judging by his aversion to the color yellow, maybe he's like willing his aura to be closer to white.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

This is the impression I got as well and I'm such a moron that I swear the text under the comic was just 'Thanks for Reading!' when I looked at it first.

Personally I can't wait till these girls taking selfies become the main focus of the plot for 3 months. They look cool.

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-154
Aren’t those three girls a shoutout to an Aevee Bee game? I mean they look like the kind of disaster kids to be in one.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
under panel text is "Featuring a first panel cameo from my friend Ivy's characters from the comic she's making, Coquette Dragoon! Thanks for your patience and for reading! See you next time."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

flatluigi posted:

under panel text is "Featuring a first panel cameo from my friend Ivy's characters from the comic she's making, Coquette Dragoon! Thanks for your patience and for reading! See you next time."

Oh god, I've got to make an effort to read those things

the text under the comic, I mean

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

They say in that chapter that wights always have white spectral energy, though. Although maybe the shadow spirit is on the verge and if Spender lets go it'll undergo transformation. Or it's not white and wight at the moment because it's 'broken'

cell
Nov 25, 2003

The more Johnny the better.
To be fair to Darkstorme Spender, I'd pull a face like that too if I had to shake hands with my dad while looking at a camera and my haircut was a walking advertisement for McDonalds.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
My assumption was that Spender avoids yellow tools because they'll consume his own yellow energy and leave him without enough to contain the Whatever It Is.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

My assumption was that Spender avoids yellow tools because they'll consume his own yellow energy and leave him without enough to contain the Whatever It Is.

Same. That or that having another spirit in his space would be too much of a distraction for Lucifer.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm comfortable stating that Suzy is a cousin and her parents call her Sue Spender

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
She's from a divorced mom, her name is Lawsuit Spender

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

GodFish posted:

She's from a divorced mom, her name is Lawsuit Spender

the moment we get the spender mom name we're going to crack this case wide open

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Wait if the Suzy theory is right it is a pun. Just a strainef one. Suz(y) Spender. Suspender

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Twibbit posted:

Wait if the Suzy theory is right it is a pun. Just a strainef one. Suz(y) Spender. Suspender

I want to believe!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Twibbit posted:

That's what I was getting at!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

just the inks

doing callbacks to chapter one just to feel the comforting weight of time upon my soul, just to feel anything at all

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

This month is the ten year anniversary

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
And Zach’s wrists’ three hundredth birthday!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://twitter.com/paranaturalzack/status/1380408417815175168

hopefully they can rest well and the comic can come back without all the starting and stopping

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Zack, please, for the love of god, learn to draw from your shoulder!

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I don't think they post on this site, so your excellent advice is probably wasted here.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

PMush Perfect posted:

Zack, please, for the love of god, learn to draw from your shoulder!

Bit late for that now. They just need to get an artist to draw for them.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Bit late for that now. They just need to get an artist to draw for them.

Or at least hire an inker/colorist so they can focus on the writing and pencil work.

Edit: Whoops! I am a dumb jerk. Fixed.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 11, 2021

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

readingatwork posted:

Or at least hire an inker/colorist so he can focus on the writing and pencil work.

They

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

The forbidden Jutsu

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/paranaturalzack/status/1385322021958033411?s=21

https://twitter.com/paranaturalzack/status/1385322023908306945?s=21

Went to check on any updates, this is from their Twitter.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

What, you mean they're not going to put out any more 300-page chapters? :v:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Update surprise

.... how is Rich gonna gently caress this up.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

A Sometimes Food posted:

Update surprise

surprise scheduled update!!

classic rebellious youth activity earning your webelos badges in the great outdoors. don't be like me kid, you can still escape the call of the wild

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I am suddenly very sympathetic toward Penny.

She just wanted out of her horrible toxic family. :(

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

A Sometimes Food posted:

By driving a subtle but immutable wedge between them that will only grow with time, because Richard Darkstorme Spender is allergic to admitting he was wrong.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

No comic this week for vaccine reasons, but we do get a very cute sketch.

The way she's being presented at the moment I'm getting the strong feeling Penny isn't going to be a villain once she starts engaging with the plot. And presumably Mr Garcia by extension.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
I mean this with all the love in my heart, but they are the most frequently injured or sick artist I follow.

I only point this out because I suspect they've been cursed by some sort of genie or warlock that is destroying their health. (Joking aside, the second dose of my shot laid me up with a fever for 3 days, so I sympathize)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Chapter 7 Page 40

Alt text: I produce gas constantly. You *tosses hair* wouldn't understand.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

girl dick energy posted:

By driving a subtle but immutable wedge between them that will only grow with time, because Richard Darkstorme Spender is allergic to admitting he was wrong.

I think you have vastly underestimated the capability of Richard Nightfox Spender to be a gigantic dunce.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

drat, Spender sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I feel very sad for Penny here, but I also can't really blame Rich either.

There's clearly something toxic about the Spender family; both of their children want out of it. Richard pretty much has already, and is on the cusp of cutting off entirely once he's old enough with his own income to get his own place - presumably being a spectral and finding a community his parents outright can't perceive (probably) has helped a lot there. And Penny wants to get out with him.

But Penny is also the parents' golden child, she's manged to play the "dutiful good boy" role that Richard couldn't. She obviously doesn't want to, but it might be what she needed to do to survive in that environment. I can't really blame Richard for not trusting her to not bring all the family baggage with her into his free life. Even if she doesn't want to. Their parents have apparently given up on him, but what happens when they come looking for their younger, favoured child? How will Penny respond? What will they do to his life outside of them?

And that's before getting into the problems of bringing a non-spectral to a Consortium members' hangout. But I think if things were different and Richard did love and trust his sister he'd have been okay bringing her anyway.

It's a nasty situation that's hurting them both, but I can't blame either child for their parts in it.