Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

TheDK posted:

Have you tried using a normal monitor? There are some pretty good ones out there.

Yeah, but "pretty good" vs OLED is still a noticeable difference.

It's a shame that OLED monitors still aren't a thing. Frankly I'd be perfectly fine paying $1000 for a 120hz+ OLED that I'd need to replace in 3-4 years, because they're that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

TheDK posted:

Have you tried using a normal monitor? There are some pretty good ones out there.

Haha yeah I own a few of them. I just want a monitor that hits my wish-list of 4k, 1000HDR, 144hz, a bazillion black zones. Is that too much to ask? Apparently so. The C1 will hit a lot of those boxes and double as a gaming TV for my consoles.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

DrDork posted:

Yeah, but "pretty good" vs OLED is still a noticeable difference.

It's a shame that OLED monitors still aren't a thing. Frankly I'd be perfectly fine paying $1000 for a 120hz+ OLED that I'd need to replace in 3-4 years, because they're that good.

OLED is still deeply flawed because it's sample and hold. Sure, you can do BFI, but that would require even more momentary brightness and the closer you get to ideal, the faster your screen would burn out. We're unfortunately still a long, long way from anything with CRT level motion clarity, and the reality is that we're seeing more progress on that front with LCDs than OLEDs.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Wait, black frame insertion burns out OLED screens?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

ACValiant posted:

Haha yeah I own a few of them. I just want a monitor that hits my wish-list of 4k, 1000HDR, 144hz, a bazillion black zones. Is that too much to ask? Apparently so. The C1 will hit a lot of those boxes and double as a gaming TV for my consoles.

The 1152-zone mini-LED 32" panels that are just coming out now hit all your requirements. They're currently only in high end art monitors but they're coming to the gaming market with the X32 and the PG32QUX

Probably the price of two C1 though

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

The United States posted:

Wait, black frame insertion burns out OLED screens?

As I understand it, yes, because to achieve the same level of perceived brightness with BFI the OLED elements have to pulse to an even higher brightness during the time they're on than they would without BFI. Running an element twice as bright for half as long is, AFAIK, more damaging than running it less bright but for longer.

And while nothing K8.0 said is technically incorrect, in terms of where the various technologies are right now, OLED vs IPS is noticeably better, even if not quite up to CRT standards (plus the burnout possibilities--though the C* series of TVs are suggesting that maaaaaybe that concern is a little overblown with modern tech).

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

MonkeyFit posted:

I was just looking at this monitor, having just scored a 6700XT. How is it? Have you noticed any issues at all?

It's great! I'm fully sold on ultrawide now, I've had no issues other than my 2070 super not being thrilled about running some games in that resolution.

If you've never used an LG IPS panel, be aware that the black levels aren't the best. I don't find it noticeable, though.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
as always, the answer is be so rich that you can just buy the newest OLED every year without a second thought so that you never notice the burn-in

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

MeruFM posted:

as always, the answer is be so rich that you can just buy the newest OLED every year without a second thought so that you never notice the burn-in

Unironically I would seriously consider doing this if there were an actual product to buy in the sub-$3k range (or at all).

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I would buy a 1080p/24" OLED. I thought the issue was with the small pixel sizes on PC monitors, so shouldn't it be easy to crank out 1080p OLED screens? I know it isn't as cool as 4K, but surely I'm not the only one willing to make the resolution sacrifice.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The X32 won't even have HDMI 2.1? What?

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

The X32 is rumored to cost $3600 which is just... wow. That's a lot.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Dear God, there's a tiny insect crawling between the backlight and the LCD panel here. I sure as hell hope it'll die outside of the view. :catstare:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
OLED burn-in is extremely overblown, also computers have these built in things called "screen savers" that were invented 40 years ago that address that very concern, plus modern monitors will decrease the brightness if it detects static content which will further reduce burn-in chance. As for OLED on a PC-monitor, looks like you can't find one in the <30" space, nor in the <$3000 space. Maybe in another year or so v:shobon:v

Burn-in tests:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOcLasaRCzY

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Have to admit, I didn't notice any burn in on my 2 year old iphone X (i don't know how different AMOLED is from what the TVs use, but I assume they share the same potential issue for burn-in).

One question I do have to ask though is how much these burn-in protection features affect the image. Are single pixel wide elements shimmering due to the pixel shifting?

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Just to chime in with my LG CX 48 has been rock loving solid and unless you are twitch shooting it's the top end "monitor" to get, anything else at this price point is the wrong choice

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I like my 55 inch CX but the audio delay is noticeable in some games on ps5. I don't play a ton of those because the ps5 has practically no games that I wouldn't prefer to play on my pc, but eventually I'll want to do something about it

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Scarecow posted:

Just to chime in with my LG CX 48 has been rock loving solid and unless you are twitch shooting it's the top end "monitor" to get, anything else at this price point is the wrong choice

When you use the TV as a monitor does it annoy you with the smart TV stuff? I hope you don't have to like manually switch it to PC mode every time it turns on

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

OLED burn-in is extremely overblown, also computers have these built in things called "screen savers" that were invented 40 years ago that address that very concern, plus modern monitors will decrease the brightness if it detects static content which will further reduce burn-in chance. As for OLED on a PC-monitor, looks like you can't find one in the <30" space, nor in the <$3000 space. Maybe in another year or so v:shobon:v

Burn-in tests:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOcLasaRCzY

My 2017 LG 55" OLED TV has Nick Jr burned into the bottom right corner, and a dull area in the centre of the screen. Kids eh.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Nice Van My Man posted:

I would buy a 1080p/24" OLED. I thought the issue was with the small pixel sizes on PC monitors, so shouldn't it be easy to crank out 1080p OLED screens? I know it isn't as cool as 4K, but surely I'm not the only one willing to make the resolution sacrifice.

You can already buy 24 inch OLEDs (on the secondhand market). I have one:

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shipon posted:

When you use the TV as a monitor does it annoy you with the smart TV stuff? I hope you don't have to like manually switch it to PC mode every time it turns on

No the only thing you have to do is turn it on each time, it defaults to HDMI input 1 and into PC mode automatically

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Scarecow posted:

No the only thing you have to do is turn it on each time, it defaults to HDMI input 1 and into PC mode automatically

what’s your desk setup look like Scarecrow?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Has anyone played around with commercial ultra-stretch displays as extra monitors?

It looks like pricing is still steep and actually a step down in resolution from the three displays I currently have set up, but there is a certain appeal to consolidating low demand information on one long screen.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ACValiant posted:

what’s your desk setup look like Scarecrow?

its a corner desk set up with the screen pushed back so it touches each wall, think its a 800mm deep desk from memory

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Rebus posted:

My 2017 LG 55" OLED TV has Nick Jr burned into the bottom right corner, and a dull area in the centre of the screen. Kids eh.

Turn down your brightness maybe? But yea the Nick Jr logo I assume is still the Bright Orange/Blue thing so I could see that being a problem.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

KingEup posted:

:wtc:

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

repiv posted:

Dell had a 30" 4K60 monitor but it was discontinued with no replacement AFAIK

LG has 27" and 32" 4K60 OLEDs launching soon, but they'll probably be >$2000

https://www.notebookcheck.net/LG-s-first-32-inch-and-4K-OLED-monitor-gets-a-release-date-and-an-eye-watering-price-tag.526414.0.html

There aren't any 4K120 OLED monitors so the closest you can get is an LG OLED TV (minimum 48")

This poo poo is driving me crazy. I want a 4K 27-32" colour accurate high refresh, GSync/VRR monitor with a USB-C input that delivers 100W for my MBP and a display port or HDMI for my funputer. Why haven't they made good monitors people want? When I bought this monitor, a Dell UltraSharp, it ruled for basically everything. Now all the monitors don't do everything any more, even the expensive ones!

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

chaosbreather posted:

This poo poo is driving me crazy. I want a 4K 27-32" colour accurate high refresh, GSync/VRR monitor with a USB-C input that delivers 100W for my MBP and a display port or HDMI for my funputer. Why haven't they made good monitors people want? When I bought this monitor, a Dell UltraSharp, it ruled for basically everything. Now all the monitors don't do everything any more, even the expensive ones!

I have been thinking about this for a while now. Is it because the margins would be brutal compared to the annoying segmentation strategy they're running now? 32" 4k OLED with 144Hz G-Sync is all I want. Please...LG..

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Ok, so I’ve been putting a million questions in the Mac thread, so I’ll try and keep the scenario simpler here:

After 12 years retail, I started a work at home job. My work computer has a 2 23” screen monitor setup. I want to get a single monitor to setup to the left for my personal computer.

I currently have: MacBook Air 2012. Getting near the end of its lifespan, so I’m using it for now, probably upgrading in 1-2 years. So a monitor that works for that, but also has whatever features I would want for an upgrading Mac Air would be great.

Budget: $200-300, although depending on the options, certainly flexible.

Use case: probably no gaming, probably not a lot of video but some, mostly it’s just standard internet browsing stuff. I def appreciate screen resolution , but I really don’t need the top of the line. Probably a mid tier option from what I’m seeing so far.

I’ll take a crash course in screen ratios if anyone has it, when I see numbers like 16:10 I just don’t quite know what that is in my head. I’ve always just had a laptop, I’ve never had to think through “why screen size and ratio do I want?” In any form.

To give an example: I got a TCL 55” 4K TV for $350 3 years ago, and I think that looks fine. I didn’t even get it for 4K, it just was only a small
Bump from the non 4K so I figured why not. Something like that as a monitor is fine for me.

Edit: and I do plan on going through the OP today as I get time.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
You seem to not have any particularly specific requirements--which is fine. You would probably be just fine with any reasonably priced 24" 1080p IPS monitor. You could look for a USB-C one if you wanted to skip doing dongles. If you want resolution and can afford the size, a 27" 1440p IPS would be a good choice, or a 4k one if you can find one in your budget.

For screen ratios, it's simply a ratio of width to height. 16:9 is the "standard" for most monitors (eg, 1920x1080, aka 1080p, or 3840x2160, aka 4k). There's a lot of lost love for 16:10 monitors that used to be more popular years ago, because they are slightly taller (1920x1200, for example) and thus more useful for people who do vertical-based work (like coding), but these have fallen out of favor and are hard to find now. 21:9 are ultrawides, like 3440x1440.

Oddly it's actually laptops which have done more experimenting with unusual ratios than PC monitors of late.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

:lol: I didn't want to say anything because it's not my setup or whatever but everything in the picture seems designed not to fit with anything else

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

chaosbreather posted:

A few reasons :

The reality is that ultrasharps were always awful for gaming performance, but you just had no alternative for many many years.
Getting halfway decent response times out of an LCD without overdrive artifacts is really hard.
Implementing VRR well is a lot of work.
There wasn't even a GPU that could output the DP 2.0/HDMI 2.1 needed for proper 4k high refresh until 9 months ago. The DP 2.0 over USB-C standard is only a year old, and it's very rare to see a monitor implement a new display standard in less time than that.
4k high refresh panels worth a drat are still very new - there's only really one at this point.
USB-C + power delivery is a development + hardware expense for a feature that not many people want to pay for, especially not many people who care about gaming performance (especially because AFAIK there is not yet a single device with DP 2.0 over USB-C support).

Between the technologies being emerging and the fact that few people want to pay the development + hardware burden for both good gaming performance and USB-C, it's not surprising your dream monitor doesn't exist. You can easily get everything but the high refresh and VRR, and you can also get basically everything but USB with the LG 27GN950, but getting all of it together is still probably a few years away.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

KingEup posted:

what model is that and how much are they running?

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Shipon posted:

Nope. I have a CX48 and use it as my monitor. It stays on the last used input each time. I got a best buy 5 year warranty that covers burn in, so I don't need to baby it. It's an amazing display - I don't know how I could ever go back to staring an IPS screen as my primary monitor again.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Rollie Fingers posted:

This guy’s been using the LG CX Oled screen as a monitor for six months and hasn’t noticed burn yet:

https://youtu.be/AhV09HD7Ee0

He says he hasn’t had to babysit it, but he’s still hidden the taskbar and all desktop icons and changes backgrounds regularly.

The part that I’d find ultra irritating is the screen’s burn-in protection auto adjusting brightness regularly

If worried about burn-in, can’t you just turn the screen off when you’re done? Or does it burn in while you’re actually using the monitor like a WoW UI for a few hours since most UI elements don’t change very often like a screensaver does?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

DerekSmartymans posted:

If worried about burn-in, can’t you just turn the screen off when you’re done? Or does it burn in while you’re actually using the monitor like a WoW UI for a few hours since most UI elements don’t change very often like a screensaver does?

OLED burn in is cumulative through usage. There's various technologies on the newer panels to mitigate it, but it is a side effect of the technology.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

DerekSmartymans posted:

It's the second bit: largely static UI elements are what's going to cause burn-in. It's very, very obvious on things like older OLED TVs that get used to display the same news channel all the time, or some OLED phones. A few hours won't cause it, but when those elements have been showing a specific color for thousands of hours it can show up.

It was a lot bigger problem with older OLED tech, and remains a big issue for displays that use actual R/G/B elements instead of all-white + color filters. But as Butterfly Valley noted, it's an inherent limitation with the technology that individual lighting elements will degrade at different rates based on how much they're used, and that will eventually lead to uneven lighting.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they should make big circular oleds on motorized mounts that rotate the panel constantly so the panel wear is always spread out

hire me lucky-goldstar

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Paul MaudDib posted:

what model is that and how much are they running?

KingEup posted about them before but the price he got them for is not the current ebay pricing unfortunately:

KingEup posted:

You can buy second hand OLED PVMs on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PVM-2551MD-OLED-Monitor/264898311440?hash=item3dad2b7510:g:aJoAAOSwlBVfhfxl

I have one and it’s outstanding (I paid USD 250)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

repiv posted:

they should make big circular oleds on motorized mounts that rotate the panel constantly so the panel wear is always spread out

hire me lucky-goldstar

Every hour it flips 180 deg, and at night it uses a reverse-screen-saver that tries to burn down the pixels that didn't get used as much to level out dimming.

There, burn-in fixed, now someone pay me $10m for my idea, tia.