Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Welcome fellow CO goon. Full Cycle is a good shop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

vikingstrike posted:

Welcome fellow CO goon. Full Cycle is a good shop

This. After talking to a bunch of shops trying to buy a bike, they seemed like the only honest shop in town.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Partial Octopus posted:

This. After talking to a bunch of shops trying to buy a bike, they seemed like the only honest shop in town.

Don’t know i would go that far. University Bikes downtown has always been good to me.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

Thanks Y’all. I ended up going with the Stance from the LBS here in Boulder. They have a good return policy afaik so if I’m not happy or if it doesnt click or w/e I’ll exchange it.

If it can fit in your budget getting the shop to put a dropper in for you would be super worth it. They are life changing.

Something like this is great value.
https://www.oneupcomponents.com/collections/dropper-posts/products/dropper-post-v2

Or do it yourself if you are mechanically inclined. The Stance has internal dropper routing so wouldn't be hard.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

mashed_penguin posted:

If it can fit in your budget getting the shop to put a dropper in for you would be super worth it. They are life changing.

Something like this is great value.
https://www.oneupcomponents.com/collections/dropper-posts/products/dropper-post-v2

Or do it yourself if you are mechanically inclined. The Stance has internal dropper routing so wouldn't be hard.

Or OP if you want to do it really cheap, I have a 30.9 mm diameter (same seatpost diameter as the stance it appears), 150mm brand x dropper w/lever that I took off my fat bike I sold and rode about 10 times for cheap. Will need a $10 shift cable most likely to setup to your bike and length but otherwise it's in good shape. PM if interested.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Welp, small update. Someone was a few minutes faster than I was and pulled the trigger before I did. I did end up going in again and dropping a few more dollary doos and got a little bit of a better bike. I hope my wallet can forgive me. 😬 Everyone inside the shop was super helpful though.

Kona process 153.

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 7, 2021

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Hell yeah! Pretty looking bike.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Fate intervened and you got a sweet bike.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

Welp, small update. Someone was a few minutes faster than I was and pulled the trigger before I did. I did end up going in again and dropping a few more dollary doos and got a little bit of a better bike. I hope my wallet can forgive me. 😬 Everyone inside the shop was super helpful though.

Kona process 153.

Hell yeah! That bike will be great for not only Front Range riding but also bigger mountain adventures!

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Took it for a quick spin along a fairly flat dirt trail near me:

Holy poo poo am I out of shape, weightlifting is not a good substitute for cardio

Other than that this bike is rad, great shifting, stopping, suspension. I cant wait to take it to an actual trail (if I can make it uphill).

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

I cant wait to take it to an actual trail (if I can make it uphill).

As someone who started as a road cyclist, the fact that uphill was not just a matter of turning pedals was a very unwelcome surprise.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

Kona process 153.

a gud biek

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

My local shop damaged my stanchions and now they're giving me new forks. The life of my Jabberwocky has been unexpectedly extended.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 9, 2021

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

a gud biek

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
I'm trying to silence the chain on my old rear end Trek. I gave it the ol' tube around the chainstay treatment but I still get chain slap when I go over bumps and I'm pretty sure its still banging on the front derailleur. Is there anything I can do to quiet that down or is that Just The Way It Is?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

My gooch has never been so sore.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

My gooch has never been so sore.

Are you wearing padded liners? If not, do.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

Are you wearing padded liners? If not, do.

I went about ten years of mountain biking before discovering padded shorts and it blew my mind. Now I barely want to ride around the block without some rear end padding.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Steak posted:

I'm trying to silence the chain on my old rear end Trek. I gave it the ol' tube around the chainstay treatment but I still get chain slap when I go over bumps and I'm pretty sure its still banging on the front derailleur. Is there anything I can do to quiet that down or is that Just The Way It Is?

This product works pretty well but I dunno how well it works with a bike that isn't 1 chainring in the front.

https://stfubike.com/

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin
Thinkin bout thos bikes:
Nukeproof digger or Canyon Grail?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Mechanical Pencil posted:

Thinkin bout thos bikes:
Nukeproof digger or Canyon Grail?

well neither are mountain bikes but the nukeproof looks cool

e: I also rode a bit of a flow trail for the first time ever today, was fun. Interesting to ride something built for actual bikes and not janky hiking trails like around here

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Levitate posted:

well neither are mountain bikes but the nukeproof looks cool

e: I also rode a bit of a flow trail for the first time ever today, was fun. Interesting to ride something built for actual bikes and not janky hiking trails like around here

I mean modern day gravel bikes are pretty much just 90s MTBs.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I was just told the specialized stumpjumper evo I ordered last fall isn’t coming until fall as a 2022 model. It could very well cost more as well.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
:lol: gently caress that

I tried to order some tires today at the local trek store and they said Nov estimate. I said no thanks.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

this dropout weirds me out

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

n8r posted:

I was just told the specialized stumpjumper evo I ordered last fall isn’t coming until fall as a 2022 model. It could very well cost more as well.
The SC I ordered is coming next week (fingers crossed etc). gently caress a spesh tbh.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

evil_bunnY posted:

The SC I ordered is coming next week (fingers crossed etc). gently caress a spesh tbh.

Yeah the bike got marketing budget of the year so that increased demand. I’d cross shop bikes but I’m convinced I’ll really like the swat.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

evil_bunnY posted:

honestly kinda surprised you got a SC that easy, they said like a month ago their 2021 stock was sold out (to stores etc)
you're not in the US though so maybe that changes things?

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

n8r posted:

Yeah the bike got marketing budget of the year so that increased demand. I’d cross shop bikes but I’m convinced I’ll really like the swat.

Other issues with the brand aside, Trek has a similar system if they have something you like in stock.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Anyone have recommendations on gloves? I had a pair of Fox defender gloves but looks like they went missing after lying them in the sun to dry this afternoon. I liked them but they were a gift and I’m open to other suggestions if there are ones people really love.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Handup

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Fox rangers with gel for me. Hand up ones didn't fit me well (bought the size they recommended) and ripped pretty quickly.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Suburban Dad posted:

Fox rangers with gel for me. Hand up ones didn't fit me well (bought the size they recommended) and ripped pretty quickly.

If you like padding Handup is not the way to go for sure. I have had good luck with them and they fit me perfect but If you crash a lot (don't ask how I know) you will tear them up for sure.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Thanks.

Considering I crashed today (hence drying them after washing out mud from the fall) I might look for something with a little protection. Still relearning how to ride so I expect this won’t be the only fall anytime soon.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Voodoofly posted:

Thanks.

Considering I crashed today (hence drying them after washing out mud from the fall) I might look for something with a little protection. Still relearning how to ride so I expect this won’t be the only fall anytime soon.

I also used to wear the Fox Ranger Gel like suburban dad. good gloves

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I like the giro dnd gloves.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
giro dnd is solid and durable and cheap but a little heavy and warm on hot days

giro rivet 2 is lighter and thinner/cooler and breathes better but less durable

100% ridefit is a little lighter than the dnd but lasts longer than the rivet, think i liked those more than the dnd

pearl izumi divide is more like the rivet 2- really thin and light. my current gloves, seem to be holding up well.

pearl izumi summit is more like the dnd

none of the above gloves have any padding. my one pair of padded gloves actually bothered me because the gel inserts created pressure points.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Fox rangers without gel for normal rides and fox rangers with gel for DH/bike park rides.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

spwrozek posted:

If you like padding Handup is not the way to go for sure. I have had good luck with them and they fit me perfect but If you crash a lot (don't ask how I know) you will tear them up for sure.

While I do crash a lot, that wasn't the issue. :v: The thumbs were too short, even after sizing up when the first ones ripped. The seam ripped between the thumb and index finger. They replaced them for free which is nice but the larger ones still fit poorly for me. I probably just have mutant thumbs though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Rangers for good weather, a pair of extra grippy Mechanix gloves for bad/downhill