Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I’m only 2 episodes into Them, but it’s excellent so far. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

I forget where the thread landed on Eight Legged Freaks but I just caught it and that poo poo is good. It was way less "2002" than I was assuming, and had some really nice plotting and characters. A ton of fun and strikes just about the right tonal balance for a horror comedy, surprisingly so for that era.

Also the new episode of Creepshow is fun. Not as good as the premiere but the season is shaping up to be a nice cheapie Tales from the Crypt.

Speaking of Tales from the Crypt, why isn't it on HBO Max or something? I'd love to revisit it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Rights issue hell. Also killed the planned M. Night Shyamalan reboot. They were up on YouTube last time I looked.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Speaking of Tales from the Crypt, why isn't it on HBO Max or something? I'd love to revisit it.

Its apparently a rights issue quagmire because of the original comic books it was based on. TNT tried to revive it a few years back and did a big rollout and stuff before they just abandoned it saying the whole thing was a legal mess.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Rights issue hell. Also killed the planned M. Night Shyamalan reboot. They were up on YouTube last time I looked.

Oh hell yea it is, thanks! That was the case with Dead Alive too.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
The nee creepshow episode, the first part was kind of lame but the second part is an absolute banger the bit with the exterminators van had me cheering I love a good giant spider

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't think the second part made much sense by the end but I like what it was exploring. Same with the first segment, to some degree.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

TheBizzness posted:

Kuso definitely has some nudity including a mostly visible penis loving a sentient gaping neck wound.

That sounds exactly like my kind of film

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
If you don’t mind watching it in 4:3 standard def you can get the entire Tales from the Crypt box set on eBay for like $35.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

It better be 4x3 because how the show was originally shot/presented. Though HD transfers would be awesome.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Fair point. I’m through the first 12-15 episodes and it’s incredible how many known, name, still working actors are on the early seasons of the show.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Tales from Crypt last season is really bad but otherwise its great through out its whole run. Really wish it would get added to HBO max but oh well.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Hollismason posted:

Tales from Crypt last season is really bad but otherwise its great through out its whole run. Really wish it would get added to HBO max but oh well.

Is it not on there for rights issues?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The Senator Giroux posted:

Is it not on there for rights issues?

Yea its a rights issue. I don't think there's even been a remaster of them to HD. Its a big mess.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The rights to Tales from the Crypt are so hosed. The EC story rights, the use of the name TftC, the rights for use of the Crypt/Vault/Witch characters were owned, co-owned, or partially owned, by several different companies. Universal, ABC, Warner/HBO, CBS. Walter Hill/David Giler have certain trademark rights under a separate production moniker, since they produced the first feature films. Dimension had a piece at one point, which released the last official Crypt licensed film produced by Joel Silver's Silver Pictures. The New World syndication rights, if they're still valid, probably rolled over to Fox, which is now Disney. All of the ownership parties were consorted into an LLC in the late 90's, which is currently based at Silver Pictures.

The home video rights for the original show are with Warner, but streaming rights, new releases of the old property, and production of future properties with the license are in limbo due to a lawsuit filed by the William Gains agency against the LLC in 2013. They've been trying to regain the trademarks, and the case is still ongoing. Richard Donner's production outfit must have a stake too, because a representative of The Donners' Company is the current face of the LLC in court.

Regarding a remaster of the original show, I suspect that it was shot on film but probably edited on videotape, like a lot of mid 80's-mid 90's tv was (notably, the Star Trek revival shows), which would explain the relatively low tape-like quality on the DVDs. This means doing true HD remasters would be crazy expensive, since they would have to rescan the original film elements (if they even exist anymore), and re-edit every episode from scratch. It would likely never happen, even if the rights weren't a mess.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I just want to stream Tales From the Cryptkeeper with my kid again, you'd think those rights would be a little more straightforward

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Retro Futurist posted:

I just want to stream Tales From the Cryptkeeper with my kid again, you'd think those rights would be a little more straightforward

It is. All the seasons are free on Tubi, yo.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Most of it is available illegally.

E:

But don't take advantage of that but if you do keep in mind that anyone involved probably already got payed decades ago and the miniscule royalties you're robbing them off by pirating won't add up to much even if they were lucky/savy enough to get a deal that gets them any residuals at all and that even if they sorted out all the rights issues and did a proper HD release tomorrow 99,9% of the money would go to useless parasitic middle men.ö some of whom weren't even born when the show was on the air.

But don't actually pirate anything ever ok guys

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 11, 2021

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
A while back you guys were talking about croc movies. I just wanted to give a shout out to the 2007 killer croc film Rogue. Been a while since I saw it but I recall being surprised by how much I liked it. Watch it if you get the chance.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

WHY BONER NOW posted:

A while back you guys were talking about croc movies. I just wanted to give a shout out to the 2007 killer croc film Rogue. Been a while since I saw it but I recall being surprised by how much I liked it. Watch it if you get the chance.

gonna check this out im always down for a good croc movie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t want to rewatch it because I hear it’s stinky but as a kid I loved Primeval when it came out. I thought it was bad rear end

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Kvlt! posted:

gonna check this out im always down for a good croc movie

Nice, report back after you've seen it!

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

Most of it is available illegally.

Just a reminder that piracy chat is still against the rules :toot:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'll 2nd Rogue recommendation for killer croc pics I really enjoyed it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Origami Dali posted:

It is. All the seasons are free on Tubi, yo.

I only saw the cartoon and the 70s movie up on Tubi.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

huh, Bruce Willis and Thomas Jane did a sci-fi horror movie last year that went straight to streaming and DVD. I know that because of the issues a lot of movies just did streaming and home video releases last year. But I can't help but think the lack of a bluray release for a movie that came out in 2020 suggests that the producers did not have a great deal of faith in the movie.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

M_Sinistrari posted:

I only saw the cartoon and the 70s movie up on Tubi.

Yeah, he was talking about streaming the cartoon Tales from the Cryptkeeper.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bruce Willis is one of the worst working actors today.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
When I saw Split I thought that M Night Shamylan re-ignited Bruce's ability to care about acting, but lol it was just spliced in footage from Unbreakable.

I just watched Willy's Wonderland and it was a delight. Very straightforward and structured, I kinda wanna go back and check the time stamps for The Janitor's break times to see if it is tied to runtime. If this and Mandy are the vision for late-stage Nicolas Cage I am down for it. The gore was goopy and nice. Very refreshing to have a horror movie understand that fighting back is valid.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, Rogue is pretty good, probably my favourite Croc film. I watched the two Black Water films recently and found them a little dull though still with interesting elements. I prefer my crocodiles and sharks to be big and outrageous as opposed to smaller and more realistic, though The Reef, which is a shark film by the guy who did the Black Water films was a realism focused shark film that I thought was pretty decent.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bruce Willis has been on autopilot for awhile and just works films who agree to pay him to show up for one day, who do it because then they can sell their crappy DTV films to less discerning customers (old people) with Willis on the cover.

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

WHY BONER NOW posted:

they used practical effects for the crocodile which was cool

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Is there a horror version of She's All That out there?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

The rights to Tales from the Crypt are so hosed. The EC story rights, the use of the name TftC, the rights for use of the Crypt/Vault/Witch characters were owned, co-owned, or partially owned, by several different companies. Universal, ABC, Warner/HBO, CBS. Walter Hill/David Giler have certain trademark rights under a separate production moniker, since they produced the first feature films. Dimension had a piece at one point, which released the last official Crypt licensed film produced by Joel Silver's Silver Pictures. The New World syndication rights, if they're still valid, probably rolled over to Fox, which is now Disney. All of the ownership parties were consorted into an LLC in the late 90's, which is currently based at Silver Pictures.

The home video rights for the original show are with Warner, but streaming rights, new releases of the old property, and production of future properties with the license are in limbo due to a lawsuit filed by the William Gains agency against the LLC in 2013. They've been trying to regain the trademarks, and the case is still ongoing. Richard Donner's production outfit must have a stake too, because a representative of The Donners' Company is the current face of the LLC in court.

Regarding a remaster of the original show, I suspect that it was shot on film but probably edited on videotape, like a lot of mid 80's-mid 90's tv was (notably, the Star Trek revival shows), which would explain the relatively low tape-like quality on the DVDs. This means doing true HD remasters would be crazy expensive, since they would have to rescan the original film elements (if they even exist anymore), and re-edit every episode from scratch. It would likely never happen, even if the rights weren't a mess.

Nationalize Tales from the Crypt imo

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Gripweed posted:

huh, Bruce Willis and Thomas Jane did a sci-fi horror movie last year that went straight to streaming and DVD. I know that because of the issues a lot of movies just did streaming and home video releases last year. But I can't help but think the lack of a bluray release for a movie that came out in 2020 suggests that the producers did not have a great deal of faith in the movie.

You’re telling me a movie where the lead actor looks dead inside on the poster might be bad?

This is always relevant for modern Bruce Willis, especially keeping in mind this Die Hard movie came out 8 years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGWuUdblW90

Edit: also holy poo poo that Breach tag line is remarkably awkward

david_a fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 11, 2021

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Well yeah theyre not alone they have each other as friends :)

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

That gun on the left is clearly made out of home plumbing components. You can pick out the pipe straps.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

Bruce Willis is one of the worst working actors today.

It really depends on the movie whether or not it's amusing that he doesn't give a poo poo.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I actually watched Breach hell I think I rented it. I remember nothing about it at all. I just recall it being rather dull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

david_a posted:

You’re telling me a movie where the lead actor looks dead inside on the poster might be bad?

This is always relevant for modern Bruce Willis, especially keeping in mind this Die Hard movie came out 8 years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGWuUdblW90

Edit: also holy poo poo that Breach tag line is remarkably awkward

I like that in the last two he is wearing what appears to be the same jacket. He always has a scarf or some silly high collar to cover his jowls/make it easier to have a stand-in do all the work (such as literally standing up) The first preview image on IMDB for most of those movies has Willis sitting down lol. He really is Seagal-esque at this point.