Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

The thing that really bothers me is that that is not what a lobster looks like. You could probably do a decent design with the legs and all but no, went the absolute laziest route possible. Just terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Puppy Time posted:

The thing that really bothers me is that that is not what a lobster looks like. You could probably do a decent design with the legs and all but no, went the absolute laziest route possible. Just terrible.

Honestly at first I thought it was a bad squid.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The Joker is cool.

Are we back in 2008 all of a sudden?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

pr0p posted:

Are we back in 2008 all of a sudden?

The Joker was cool.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Something that all villains have in common is that they are powerful.

My fear is that it will prove a miscalculation to invest a living demagogue with the glamour of organized violence

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Inverted Icon posted:

Something that all villains have in common is that they are powerful.

My fear is that it will prove a miscalculation to invest a living demagogue with the glamour of organized violence

You're channeling Peterson with that ten dollar word sald.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
It's creepy that thirteen thousand people just hailed hydra on command

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Inverted Icon posted:

It's creepy that thirteen thousand people just hailed hydra on command
I thought it was mostly sad-funny as gently caress.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Isn't that a thing with nerds in general? Being super into nazi standins if not actual Nazis? 10 ccs of swirlies, stat

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The boomers didn't get this mad when dc made a villain who was just a fox news host.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I started listening to Jordan Peterson because of this thread and I wound up cleaning my room but my wife still sleeps in the baby's room because I can't find any of his lectures on how to stop farting in my sleep :(

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You have too much fiber in your diet. Eat only beef.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I'm on a dieta for an ayahuasca retreat and only eating cigarette smoke right now

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Be careful with that stuff you don't wanna get addicted chemically dependent

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

ikanreed posted:

The boomers didn't get this mad when dc made a villain who was just a fox news host.

Boomers don't generally care about comics. It'd have to be, like, Jimmy Buffet writing a song or something.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Jordan Peterson spotted outside his home lying facedown in his driveway, dead.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

Colonel Cancer posted:

Isn't that a thing with nerds in general? Being super into nazi standins if not actual Nazis? 10 ccs of swirlies, stat

I used to work with someone who had a Red Skull tattoo on his hand. He had a lot of other Captain America tattoo's too. I wasn't 100% sure if he was a closeted Nazi lover or not, but I assumed he was.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I used to work with someone who had a Red Skull tattoo on his hand. He had a lot of other Captain America tattoo's too. I wasn't 100% sure if he was a closeted Nazi lover or not, but I assumed he was.

according to official marvel comics lore captain america was also a nazi so this checks out

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just as a reminder that Red Skull (or just Hydra as a whole) was a nazi/racist assbasket to such a degree that even other nazis found them contemptible.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

It's like people with Norse inspired jewelry dude. If they got a Thor's hammer they're almost certainly a nazi

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Colonel Cancer posted:

It's like people with Norse inspired jewelry dude. If they got a Thor's hammer they're almost certainly a nazi

I dunno man I think that specific example might be a bit much- I mean Thor is a pretty mainstream popular mythical hero character (but maybe I'm wrong)

A tattoo of a literal comic book nazi though I mean come on.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

thunderspanks posted:

I dunno man I think that specific example might be a bit much- I mean Thor is a pretty mainstream popular mythical hero character (but maybe I'm wrong)

A tattoo of a literal comic book nazi though I mean come on.

Depends on if the hammer looks like a stick with a square rock on the end: ambiguous

Or a T shape: Nazi

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dreylad posted:

I love all these anti-woke podcasts that are always started up by failed comedians who claim they used to be on the left until...

I was curious how bad these comedians would actually be, so I searched whatever their top comedy bit on Youtube is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HthF7dsRufU

:rimshot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eaX94C8fFY

:what:

Why are right wing comedians never loving funny, and why do they never talk about anything but their politics

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

rotinaj posted:

I was curious how bad these comedians would actually be, so I searched whatever their top comedy bit on Youtube is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HthF7dsRufU

:rimshot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eaX94C8fFY

:what:

Why are right wing comedians never loving funny, and why do they never talk about anything but their politics

I feel like quoting Norm MacDonald when listening to a hack comedian: "Enough with these loving jokes!".

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
It was quite a few pages ago, but thanks to whoever posted a link to Cass Eris' breakdown of 12 Rules For Life. I binged it while playing Valheim and it really heightened the feeling of being adrift in a strange and cruel world.

I do wonder how many of his followers read the book, or at least read it before they became such devoted fans they would consume it uncritically. This might not be a surprise, but the book is loving terrible, in multiple ways. As a self-help book, it's bogged down by long tangents and personal stories, quotes from the Bible, and Peterson's godawful writing style. As any sort of academic/scientific work, it's invalidated by his habit of making sweeping statements about human minds and the nature of humanity with no citations whatsoever, his habit of misreading the few citations he does provide, and his godawful writing style.

Seriously, did I mention the style? Here's a screencap from one of the videos in the playlist:

Huge, unverified (and often unverificable) claims, incessant references to religion, and also just the arrogant assumption that he knows what you're thinking, even if you don't (in this case, the claim that atheists worship this even though any atheist would tell you no). And all that wrapped in a style that will never use one word where five will do, and constantly dances around making any actual point.

So much of it boils down to: Traditional Western civilization is unequivocally Good even if it kills people, because anything else is Chaos. Trans people? Chaos. Women not marrying? Chaos. Stopping kids from skateboarding on planters on campus? Chaos. Interesting to think that the field Peterson worked academically did not exist until relatively very recently in this great society, and that if he was born a few centuries ago Peterson would probably have been an unpopular priest who would have been excommunicated when they found his bible fanfic where Jesus has his energy drained by Mary Magdalene, who is also a dragon and the serpent fron Eden.

So give up on questioning anything, you're basically broken anyway and if you question things that's Chaos and you'll do a Columbine shooting. Just become Peterson's idea of the ideal man or woman (nothing else, otherwise Chaos), and if you gently caress up you probably didn't follow his meandering contradictory rules properly.

It was also posted before in this thread, but the Current Affairs article on Peterson sums it up a lot better.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

ikanreed posted:

Depends on if the hammer looks like a stick with a square rock on the end: ambiguous

Or a T shape: Nazi

My friend wears one of these and he's definitely not a Nazi. Just a smelly dude into environmentalism.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I read the "Clean Your Room" chapter of 12 rules and all it taught me was that Jordan Peterson is cripplingly miserable and has never considered the notion that people who aren't him might have a different world view than he does. It is pretty concerning that this man was ever a licensed therapist; it feels like the ability to empathize with people coming from different places would be a basic job requirement.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

How do you manage to turn basic self care advice like clean your room divisive?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Benny Harvey posted:

he can't even clean his own room lol

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I read the "Clean Your Room" chapter of 12 rules and all it taught me was that Jordan Peterson is cripplingly miserable and has never considered the notion that people who aren't him might have a different world view than he does. It is pretty concerning that this man was ever a licensed therapist; it feels like the ability to empathize with people coming from different places would be a basic job requirement.

It used to be said that Peterson was out of his depth in philosophy but at least was a legitimate expert in clinical psychology and I think a lot of people are realizing that he's not even good at that.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Benny Harvey posted:

Because the rule isn't just "clean your room", which as people have pointed out is fairly uncontroversial life advice. It's "SET YOUR HOUSE IN PERFECT ORDER BEFORE YOU CRITICIZE THE WORLD"

Which if you think about it for more than two seconds, makes no sense at all. Perfect order? Who has their life 100% together at any given time? What does perfect even mean in this context?

So you assume your house is never in perfect order, and in the meantime you can't criticize anything about the world. Which is just loving "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" in fancy language. Can't criticize capitalism for shrinking your wages, why, you can't even pay rent on time!

This doesn't apply to Peterson's house being literally (as seen in many webcam interviews) and figuratively (benzo coma speedrun) a loving mess, he is still allowed to criticize SJWs because

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Mind the microscopic particles in your eye before pointing to the beam in your neighbor's

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

She's started on his new book if you're hankerin' for more.

Whorelord posted:

My friend wears one of these and he's definitely not a Nazi. Just a smelly dude into environmentalism.

Yeah I know a couple of people who do Asatru- one of whom wears the mjolnir thing- who I can confirm are not nazis, but I would definitely not encourage anyone to automatically trust that poo poo. Like, be open to the possibility that they're OK, but be on heightened alert for shitheadery, because that religion has some major nazi problems.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Cicadalek posted:

Because the rule isn't just "clean your room", which as people have pointed out is fairly uncontroversial life advice. It's "SET YOUR HOUSE IN PERFECT ORDER BEFORE YOU CRITICIZE THE WORLD"

Which if you think about it for more than two seconds, makes no sense at all. Perfect order? Who has their life 100% together at any given time? What does perfect even mean in this context?

So you assume your house is never in perfect order, and in the meantime you can't criticize anything about the world. Which is just loving "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" in fancy language. Can't criticize capitalism for shrinking your wages, why, you can't even pay rent on time!

This doesn't apply to Peterson's house being literally (as seen in many webcam interviews) and figuratively (benzo coma speedrun) a loving mess, he is still allowed to criticize SJWs because

And he reaches that conclusion from nothing, the actual chapter is a bunch of random bible versus about kings who got punked by disloyal subjects and random musings on the abject misery of the human condition. The closest he comes to making a case is for "yo don't leave your back exposed unless you trust everyone standing behind you to behave," which is reasonable advice, but not exactly the same as "you don't get to criticize people unless there is literally nothing about your life they could criticize back."

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Cicadalek posted:

There was an interview where a journalist confronted Jorp about precisely that rule bringing up the example of Martin Luther King Jr. who had a huge influence on the world despite having multiple affairs behind his wife's back (so his house wasn't in perfect order) and Jorp's answer was that MLK should have taken care of his affairs instead, yep.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Palpek posted:

There was an interview where a journalist confronted Jorp about precisely that rule bringing up the example of Martin Luther King Jr. who had a huge influence on the world despite having multiple affairs behind his wife's back (so his house wasn't in perfect order) and Jorp's answer was that MLK should have taken care of his affairs instead, yep.

funny, i saw a different interview where the same question was asked and jorp's response was 'well, mlk was a unique individual' or something to that effect, so it's okay he didn't clean his room, but his followers absolutely aren't so have to still abide by jorp's dumbass rule.

but yeah, the 'set your house in PERFECT order' poo poo is top 3 of the dumbest things he's advocated for, easily

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Interweb posted:

but yeah, the 'set your house in PERFECT order' poo poo is top 3 of the dumbest things he's advocated for, easily

considering he was addicted to benzos when he wrote it

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/RationalDis/status/1380656334010527745

is "mik" wearing lipstick in the hopes that jorp will sexually harass her? :thunk:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Mr Interweb posted:

https://twitter.com/RationalDis/status/1380656334010527745

is "mik" wearing lipstick in the hopes that jorp will sexually harass her? :thunk:
:wtc: I didn't know it was that in the open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

As with most lovely or trendy diets, youll probably be fine if you do them in your 20s and live an otherwise healthy lifestyle, as MP seems to. The human body is amazingly resilient.

A lot of the fitness hucksters on Twitter and IG are just young people who havent had to deal with maintaining fitness into their 30s and 40s.

Turns out the solution to having a rocking bod is "be 24 years old".

Id like to see what happens to MP health wise if she maintains atkins diet into middle age. I can't imagine it would be good.