Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
Colin Jost would have made a way better Matt Gertz than Pete Davidson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

no broccoli please posted:

Colin Jost would have made a way better Matt Gertz than Pete Davidson.

On looks alone, undoubtedly. But, I kind-of enjoyed the Quagmire shtick, because it was pretty on-the-nose, and I don't know if Jost could have pulled it off.

... then again, he pulled off marrying Scarlett Johansson, so maybe it's best not to underestimate the guy's knack for achievement.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Do the weekend update anchors think of acting in sketches as beneath them or something?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Nastier Nate posted:

Do the weekend update anchors think of acting in sketches as beneath them or something?

Did Tina Fey and Amy Poehler both act at the same time as being the anchors?

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Is there any sort of SNL database that tracks the contents/themes/images/characters and the like of each sketch individually within a singular show?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

The_Doctor posted:

Did Tina Fey and Amy Poehler both act at the same time as being the anchors?

In the age of the head writer/Update host, it seems like it's been uncommon for them to be in sketches. Seth Meyers was basically never in sketches once he became head writer. IIRC, it was also pretty rare for Tina Fey to be in live sketches.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

The_Doctor posted:

Did the last page of the frat mom skit get stuck in the printer? It just... ends?

Also Daniel Kaluuya looks hella thicc. Like he put on some weight between wardrobe fitting and filming.

I actually thought it was one of the few they ended well - each dude gets on board with the moms going on the trip until it’s just Mikey Day left, he complains, then smash cut to the photo of him having fun with his mom :3: oddly wholesome for a skit that started out talking about doing coke.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Yeah, I liked that ending. It either ends like that or it ends with him being left behind for Mom Trip 2021.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
“Tina in a sketch” was a thread meme back in the day

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Anybody remember Fallon's last sketch as a cast member that was the Grease parody and he just groped Tina Fey's boob for a bit and it seemed like it was unscripted?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Just watched Salt Bae and that would have been better than a good chunk of the skits that survived.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

carticket posted:

Just watched Salt Bae and that would have been better than a good chunk of the skits that survived.

Yeah, the three cut skits should have made it to live.

Salt Bae did make me nervous with that knife though...

Also, is the whole cast vegan now? Making everybody *touch the meat* in multiple sketches seems...uhhh...like a hostile work environment?

pwn
May 27, 2004

As I go through all the old shows these past couple weeks, I’m reminded of people and bands I always forget were on the show twice:

• Tony Danza
  • The Black Crowes
  • Edie Brickell and New Bohemians (yes Edie was also on solo in 1994 but those Bohemians weren’t)
  • Tracy Chapman
  • Seriously, Tony Danza? Twice??

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

pwn posted:

As I go through all the old shows these past couple weeks, I’m reminded of people and bands I always forget were on the show twice:

• Tony Danza
  • The Black Crowes
  • Edie Brickell and New Bohemians (yes Edie was also on solo in 1994 but those Bohemians weren’t)
  • Tracy Chapman
  • Seriously, Tony Danza? Twice??

I mean tbf he was on Taxi and then Who’s the boss, both were huge hits. I’ve never seen his eps was he any good?

pwn
May 27, 2004

hanales posted:

I mean tbf he was on Taxi and then Who’s the boss, both were huge hits. I’ve never seen his eps was he any good?

I haven’t watched them just yet, currently I just finished Elizabeth Ashley/Hall & Oates from S7. Figure I’ll be to the first Danza episode in a couple weeks (1986) so I will report back after viewing them

pwn
May 27, 2004

Carey Mulligan is our promising young host tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ_SERZvdKw

With Kid Cudi as musical guest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELekUcNh3qw

And like a couple weeks ago, once again there's an air promo that didn't get included in the official online cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8cFSG-fF34

In a shocking twist, I've actually seen the prominent work the host has recently released (Promising Young Woman.) Great film, and I definitely am curious to see her in a comedic role tonight.

Original SNL writer Anne Beatts died on Wednesday, and despite her prominent role in the show's history, I doubt she'll get more than a card after Update. Twenty-six years ago, when Michael O' Donoghue died, Bill Murray memorialized him at the end of that night's show. BUT, I suppose there's going to be a lot more deaths over the next few years, and in this era of having all the first five years easily accessible to stream, I guess there's no time or need for such antiquated gestures.

As long as we're on the subject. A few weeks ago, at the end of the Dan Levy repeat on March 20th, was a card for a crew member.

Ben Goodman was just 32.

---

Tonight's Vintage, which started a few minutes ago, is Emma Stone with BTS from April 13 2019.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
May, cold. June, cold. July, somehow hot as hell.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
That was a solid opening sketch. Best they've had in a while.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cold opens have been so refreshing this year. Can’t think why.

This monologue suit sure is something.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
Chalamet was just hanging out at 30 Rock on Friday, then?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Weird Little Flute taking on the retrowave aesthetic.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh man, these Obama and Bruce impressions are rough.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Punkie in a feature? :wth:

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
I was not expecting Wood of all people to show up as a visual gag.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Blueface, wow snl will go to any lengths to avoid adding iceberg cast members

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
More Bowen pls.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Iceberg was funny

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
They're doing the letter sketch again?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yes, and Carey is very bad at miming the pen action it seems.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Iceberg was funny

It was pretty good, but the singing bit I thought was kind of unnecessary.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

I'm not generally into hip hop but I kind of dig this.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Anyone remember L’eggs?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I've been rewatching Doctor Who and had no idea who Carey Mulligan was, but she looked vaguely familiar. Just finished season 3, too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Well that was the best ep in quite some time.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

pwn posted:

Blueface, wow snl will go to any lengths to avoid adding iceberg cast members

I approve of this post dot gif.

pwn posted:

Anyone remember L’eggs?

I do. My mom used to buy them because she worked in an office and women who worked in offices in the early 80s wore dresses, and no dress is complete without panty hose. Back then, even grocery stores commonly had a display of L'eggs and one or two other brands of then-popular hosiery. I remember L'eggs specifically, and Hanes too. Seems like there were other popular brands, but L'eggs had the iconic containers, and even a display at some places that had the same theme.

The_Doctor posted:

Well that was the best ep in quite some time.

Yep.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 11, 2021

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The L’Eggs sketch is the platonic ideal of an 11:55 sketch

pwn
May 27, 2004

Here's a L'eggs ad from 1975. I also included the rest of the break because we all enjoy some old ads. Fun? Fact: This ad ran in each of the first three episodes of NBC's Saturday Night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0ZcBHMnDus

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Chris Redd was hilarious last night.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Tokelau All Star posted:

Chris Redd was hilarious last night.

He was! He definitely brings it when he's more front and centre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Did he always play Obama? Cuz that was a good Obama.