Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Wait, I remember the papaya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

Wait, I remember the papaya.

Huh, maybe I missed it. I just recall her calling the attack and it cutting immediately to the rain of papaya slices.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Huh, maybe I missed it. I just recall her calling the attack and it cutting immediately to the rain of papaya slices.

I just double checked, she definitely turned into a giant papaya.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Alright, nevermind that part then.

As for Kururun I wonder if she’ll eventually evolve and learn to talk like Fuwa did and what her role is going to be from here on out seeing as Laura is already doing most of the fairy duties in the series.

Maybe she’ll have a role in the team getting their real team finisher in a few weeks and/or being involved in Laura eventually becoming Cure LaMer

Also the Witch of Delays apparently believes in child labor as Elda might possibly be our youngest Precure villain to date (unless she’s just a short womanchild that is). She does seem to treat Numeri like her mother at any rate.

The latter would be sort of fitting though as in this batch we’ve got a witch that would prefer to remain in bed rather than actually do anything productive, a lazy chef, and apathetic doctor and now a childish maid. The only odd man out so far is the butler who seems to have some authority over the other generals.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 11, 2021

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Man, the finale of Sailor Moon first season sure was :stare:

Anyway, I'm really glad I checked the series out, it was a lot of fun. The last arc was kinda meh and I don't really like the memory-wipe ending but other than that it was very charming and funny. Oh, and

Endorph posted:

i mean, it has an explicit gay couple.

I thought that was about Neptune and Uranus who appear later iirc but there is one explicitly gay couple in the first season! What a nice surprise!

I'm also reading the manga and the pacing there is loving insane

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Interesting thing of note, for a while I was under the impression that Rio’s one time transformation in KiraKira being named Cure Waffle was just a fan term but apparently it comes from an early sketch of him that was found in an official artbook (he was also apparently going to have a unicorn horn at one point):

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fun episode this week about bento, clubs, friendship and Manatsu helping out her mom. It’s basically the first real status quo episode we've had for this series, and it largely delivered on some good magical girl fun (particularly the Cures stopping to eat during the fight).

Also apparently Asuka has a dad, a brother, and no mom. Hopefully we’ll get to meet them one day.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 18, 2021

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Them not wanting to eat a Kururu bento just means they wouldn't be able to handle the cruel world of Pripara mascots

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Been group-watching all of Symphogear with some friends and I know the writing in this show is always uneven and kind of dumb (except AXZ which I was unsurprised to find had a co-writer) but holy poo poo I don't think I've ever seen a bigger botch than them trying to make the XV antagonists sympathetic after the horrible poo poo they do in the first couple of episodes.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yeah a lot of things about the arena massacre at the start of XV kind of feel off in comparison to the rest of the season. It felt like they wanted a callback to the first episode of the show, but it just doesn't mesh well with the rest of the events of the season or even most of the show tonally.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The in-universe reasoning for it happening also ends up being kind of a letdown that's resolved way too fast.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Symphogear definitely has an issues with having plot points resolved in unsatisfying ways though it usually resolves the major ones we'll.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Back to Precure, Asuka bringing up her dad and brother in this episode makes me hope we’ll get some more focus on the Cures’ families eventually.

So far we saw Manatsu’s dad in the first episode, her mom’s shown up twice, Sango’s mom has appeared at least once but we don’t know anything about the rest of her family, Asuka mentioned her family in this episode as previously stated, we haven’t seen or heard about Minori’s family at all to my knowledge, and I’m still not entirely clear what Laura’s relationship to the Queen is (she seems to be under the impression that she’s next in line for the throne so either she’s the Queen’s daughter or Mermaid royalty is elected based on deeds)

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Back to Precure, Asuka bringing up her dad and brother in this episode makes me hope we’ll get some more focus on the Cures’ families eventually.

So far we saw Manatsu’s dad in the first episode, her mom’s shown up twice, Sango’s mom has appeared at least once but we don’t know anything about the rest of her family, Asuka mentioned her family in this episode as previously stated, we haven’t seen or heard about Minori’s family at all to my knowledge, and I’m still not entirely clear what Laura’s relationship to the Queen is (she seems to be under the impression that she’s next in line for the throne so either she’s the Queen’s daughter or Mermaid royalty is elected based on deeds)

I'm almost certain that Sango's mom is going to turn up again sometime. She runs a cosmetic shop in a series that is, at least partially, about cosmetics and makeup. I would be surprised if there isn't a Sango character episode sometime down the line related to the store and her mom.

Semi-relatedly, what was the status of Sailor Jupiter's family? Do we know? I'm just wondering how liberally they're lifting for Asuka.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

I'm almost certain that Sango's mom is going to turn up again sometime. She runs a cosmetic shop in a series that is, at least partially, about cosmetics and makeup. I would be surprised if there isn't a Sango character episode sometime down the line related to the store and her mom.

Semi-relatedly, what was the status of Sailor Jupiter's family? Do we know? I'm just wondering how liberally they're lifting for Asuka.

Makoto/Sailor Jupiter was an orphan who somehow owned her own apartment despite still being a teenager. Asuka only seems to be missing a mom.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbt3ONAfAko

Blue Reflection Ray

This is a story of connecting shining emotions. Joy, sadness, anger. Feelings are a power, invisible to the eye, that every person possesses. Sometimes this power is even capable of changing the world. Hiori Hirahara always has a positive attitude and can’t leave people in trouble alone. Ruki Hanari is socially awkward, she wants to get along well with others, but she doesn’t know how to go about it. How will the meeting of these two wildly different girls change not only them, but the world itself?

Loosely based on the Playstation 4 game Blue Refection, it takes some of the same beats and characters while changing up a lot of plot elements and adding more characters.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Watched Sailor Moon R. Overall I thought it was a bit weaker than the first season but still a lot of fun. La Soldier is a total banger.

Are SM movies worth watching?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
That's the song that plays in the final battle against Death Phantom correct.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

macabresca posted:

Watched Sailor Moon R. Overall I thought it was a bit weaker than the first season but still a lot of fun. La Soldier is a total banger.

Are SM movies worth watching?

None of them are plot important or anything but they’re not bad either from what I remember. It’s up to you honestly

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

MonsterEnvy posted:

That's the song that plays in the final battle against Death Phantom correct.

Yeah, that's the one

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tropical Rouge 9: For a filmmaking episode, this was more about the actress and trying to get the confidence to play a classic OHOHOHO villainess type.

Fun episode, and I liked the reflection strategy in the battle as well as Sango getting the kill. Her mom got a lot of screentime this week, too.

Next time: the first team finisher (for real this time), the villains seem to finally be getting serious too as the monsters are powered up and Manatsu’s Motivation Power gets stolen.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 25, 2021

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
New madoka movie coming
https://twitter.com/madoka_magica/status/1386254768755023872?s=20

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Specifically a sequel to Rebellion.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, guess that test preview from a few years ago is finally coming to fruition, neat.

Related, there hasn’t been any recent word on Magia Record Season 2 yet has there?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Larryb posted:

Related, there hasn’t been any recent word on Magia Record Season 2 yet has there?

Nope, no news on that front in a while

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is the mobile game still active in Japan? I know it got axed in the west at any rate (which makes me wonder if the second season is getting a dub when/if it comes out).

Back to Precure, Asuka had my favorite line this episode:

”It’s not a glare, it’s an intense gaze”

Nice to see things ramping up a bit next time (even if it’s just for one episode). The villains also seem to be using the Smile tactic of upgrading their monsters to match the Precure (which is smart in my opinion)

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Yeah the game is still going in JP.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also apparently the new Doremi movie (which seems to be more about a group of women who grew up with the series as opposed to a continuation the series itself) is out now, did anyone have a chance to watch it? If so, how was it?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 25, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

Is the mobile game still active in Japan? I know it got axed in the west at any rate (which makes me wonder if the second season is getting a dub when/if it comes out).

Back to Precure, Asuka had my favorite line this episode:

”It’s not a glare, it’s an intense gaze”

Nice to see things ramping up a bit next time (even if it’s just for one episode). The villains also seem to be using the Smile tactic of upgrading their monsters to match the Precure (which is smart in my opinion)

Mind you, I do feel like their time as our main villains can't last for much longer. It's becoming more and more obvious that they just don't have the proper mindset for it (except for maybe the creepy seahorse guy).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Mind you, I do feel like their time as our main villains can't last for much longer. It's becoming more and more obvious that they just don't have the proper mindset for it (except for maybe the creepy seahorse guy).

I still wouldn’t be surprised if Butler turns out to be the real villain (he seems to speak for the Witch more often than not and appears to have some authority over the others).

But otherwise maybe they’ll follow Smile’s lead and bring in a more menacing Joker-esque character later to shake things up a little.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Also apparently the new Doremi movie (which seems to be more about a group of women who grew up with the series as opposed to a continuation the series itself) is out now, did anyone have a chance to watch it? If so, how was it?

I'm scheduled to watch it tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Since they seem to be going all in on the upcoming Madoka anniversary (I believe some new merch got announced a little bit ago as well), I imagine it also probably won’t be long at this point until we get a release date for the second season of the Magia Record anime as well.

That said, I am curious where the new Madoka movie is going to go given how Rebellion ended (there’s a chance that Homura could possibly wind up being the main antagonist)

Speaking of delayed projects, is there any chance of the anime version of the Cardcaptor Sakura sequel getting revived one day? I know the manga is still (slowly) being released at least

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Since they seem to be going all in on the upcoming Madoka anniversary (I believe some new merch got announced a little bit ago as well), I imagine it also probably won’t be long at this point until we get a release date for the second season of the Magia Record anime as well.

That said, I am curious where the new Madoka movie is going to go given how Rebellion ended (there’s a chance that Homura could possibly wind up being the main antagonist)

Speaking of delayed projects, is there any chance of the anime version of the Cardcaptor Sakura sequel getting revived one day? I know the manga is still (slowly) being released at least

I imagine that Clear Card will probably be finished once it's finished. As for the Madoka sequel, the only information we have is that apparently it was written around the same time as Rebellion, which is at the very least a little bit interesting.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well, the movie coming out 8 years late is better than my original estimate of “never” at any rate. Looking forward to seeing what they come up with (hopefully it’ll be just as insane as Rebellion was if not more so).

We don’t have any other details on the movie aside from that short teaser and the fact that it’s the Rebellion sequel finally realized yet do we?

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Hasbro ignoring Glitter Force again... buncha butt holes.
https://mobile.twitter.com/tfw2005/status/1387097235784044553

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

blossommirage posted:

Hasbro ignoring Glitter Force again... buncha butt holes.
https://mobile.twitter.com/tfw2005/status/1387097235784044553

I’m pretty sure they only own the distribution rights for the Smile dub and haven’t expressed any interest in picking up the series again.

Plus I’d kind of rather the Glitter Force brand just stay dead and if Precure ever got dubbed again it’d be much better handled (they’d probably go back to just calling it “Pretty Cure” as well)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, the Sailor Moon Eternal movies are finally coming to Netflix on June 3

https://deadline.com/video/pretty-guardian-sailor-moon-eternal-the-movie-hits-netflix-june-3-teaser/

This is one of the few arcs (Dream/SuperS to be specific) I actually liked better in the manga than in the 90’s anime so I’m actually sort of looking forward to these.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 28, 2021

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Finished Sailor Moon S, it's my favourite season so far. The finale was even more :stare: than in the first season. It's kinda funny how SM has mostly very light tone and then they suddenly hit you with so many feels

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

macabresca posted:

Finished Sailor Moon S, it's my favourite season so far. The finale was even more :stare: than in the first season. It's kinda funny how SM has mostly very light tone and then they suddenly hit you with so many feels

Sailor Moon S is kind of interesting in that it's villains the Death Busters are probably the most changed from their manga counterparts in terms of Hierarchy.

Like in the anime Professor Tomoe is presented as the leader of the group, Kaolinite as his assistant, then she is replaced as his field agent by the Witches 5 who report to him. They then reveal that they are servants of Mistress 9 at the very end, before a little while later revealing she works for Pharaoh 90.

In the manga Kaolinite is Pharaoh 90's direct subordinate, and she is the direct superior of the Witches 5. Tomoe is presented as being her equal at best. Mistress 9 is presented as Pharoah 90s partner who will summon her, and Kaolinite wants to replace her in that role, but Mistress 9 is a weird alien and finds it amusing at best. Pharaoh 90 is also much more direct in commanding it's subordinates compared to the non entity it was in S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In general the 90’s series seemed to use the manga as more of a guideline rather than a strict rule (for example, Rei is almost a completely different person in that series than she is in other Sailor Moon media).

For that matter, didn’t Sailor Stars actually end before its manga equivalent did?