Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

If anything I figure they'll keep the Kikainoid members as is cause it'll allow them to be cheap with the cast for that season

The issue with that is that most of the time, the Kikainoid members are with Kaito out of suit, iirc so that's not footage they'd use anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Xelkelvos posted:

The issue with that is that most of the time, the Kikainoid members are with Kaito out of suit, iirc so that's not footage they'd use anyways

I meant in terms of hiring for American footage as it would be cheap for that too

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Good, emotive suit actors are way harder to find than soap opera grade 20somethings. The Kikainoid suits are heavy and stuntmen are not cheap. Plus, those suits are virtually blind - which means retakes when people are off their marks.

Sentai can do it because voice actor culture makes the characters more appealing and a big talent pool of would-be Momotaroses has been cultivated by the toku industry.

Lastly, Hasbro seems really invested on maintaining Power Rangers' image as a show with a diverse cast. Only having one human cast member inhibits this.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

Good, emotive suit actors are way harder to find than soap opera grade 20somethings. The Kikainoid suits are heavy and stuntmen are not cheap. Plus, those suits are virtually blind - which means retakes when people are off their marks.

Sentai can do it because voice actor culture makes the characters more appealing and a big talent pool of would-be Momotaroses has been cultivated by the toku industry.

Lastly, Hasbro seems really invested on maintaining Power Rangers' image as a show with a diverse cast. Only having one human cast member inhibits this.

From what I’m hearing the upcoming sixth Ranger is likely going to be human as well but yeah, they probably wouldn’t go for a show with only one or two main human actors not counting side characters. But we’ll see I guess.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I would think they'd do their own thing where the robot suits can be used in the command center or whatever but they appear as people in school or at the park.

Aside from the occasional exception like Blue Senturion or Robo Knight, PR uses tries to clamp down how many fantastical-looking characters are on Earth. For one thing, it's hard to make that work alongside the secret identity thing, which is always the assumed default even if not stated until proven otherwise. Sentai has more because it's way more whimsical, the default position is that the world is filled with heroes who also live regular lives and that's okay, and because Toei is able to get a lot of anime voice talent so why not feature it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

I would think they'd do their own thing where the robot suits can be used in the command center or whatever but they appear as people in school or at the park.

Aside from the occasional exception like Blue Senturion or Robo Knight, PR uses tries to clamp down how many fantastical-looking characters are on Earth. For one thing, it's hard to make that work alongside the secret identity thing, which is always the assumed default even if not stated until proven otherwise. Sentai has more because it's way more whimsical, the default position is that the world is filled with heroes who also live regular lives and that's okay, and because Toei is able to get a lot of anime voice talent so why not feature it.

They also kept Doggie Krueger from Dekaranger/SPD (and gave him a much better suit in the PR version as well)

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Larryb posted:

They also kept Doggie Krueger from Dekaranger/SPD (and gave him a much better suit in the PR version as well)

1. Doggie owns
2. No secret identities in SPD
3. Doggie owns

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Honestly, it feels more likely they'll just adapt one of the five unused Sentai with more traditional costumes cause it's an easier sell to American kids.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sockser posted:

1. Doggie owns
2. No secret identities in SPD
3. Doggie owns

Indeed he does (in both the Sentai and in Power Rangers)

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The worst thing about Dino Fury is the fact that that terrible theme song has been stuck in my head all day.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

JT Smiley posted:

Honestly, it feels more likely they'll just adapt one of the five unused Sentai with more traditional costumes cause it's an easier sell to American kids.

Power Rangers: Fury Rail confirmed?!

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Dino Fury Sixth Ranger announced/revealed: https://twitter.com/PowerRangers/status/1380562475544948738 First Black Sixth Ranger in the show's history. And a few more stills of him in action: https://twitter.com/nopinkspandex/status/1380665187326427143

And the show's going on hiatus after episode 8, as is tradition on Nickelodeon at this point.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why 8 and not 10? It makes no sense

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
i like that Zayto's been keeping his antennae when they're hanging out in the base. feels like the kind of thing they could've just been like "okay, let's ignore that from now on" about

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Power Rangers: Fury Rail confirmed?!

i know they've already said they'll never do it because American kids don't care about trains but i've been ordering the ToQ trains after starting watching the show last week so yeah, they'll probably do that just to say "hey, here's these cheaper ones you could've bought new instead"

(though i suppose given that we're a couple of years out from whatever is next i'd rather have my choo choos now anyway)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Kiramager and Kyuranger are my bets for next PR season.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Power Rangers: MagiMechs

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Power Rangers: Thief Fury
Power Rangers: MegaSpace
Power Rangers: Sparkle Fury

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I think they'd still go with the gem theme, still.

Like, they'd so name their equivalent to Takamichi's mech the Diamond Drill Zord, I'm putting money on it.

Ruby Fire Zord
Sapphire Jet Zord
Topaz Shovel Zord
Emerald Racer Zord

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kyuranger might be a bit unwieldy for PR since they could barely handle 10 rangers back in Dino Charge (though to be fair, Kyoryuger wasn’t much better in that regard). My personal guess is that Kiramager is next.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Junpei posted:

I think they'd still go with the gem theme, still.

Like, they'd so name their equivalent to Takamichi's mech the Diamond Drill Zord, I'm putting money on it.

Ruby Fire Zord
Sapphire Jet Zord
Topaz Shovel Zord
Emerald Racer Zord

Power Rangers Jem and the Holoforce

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'd be absolutely chill with Power Rangers doing Kyuranger. It's such a colossal cast, they could actually do the "two seasons" thing and it would be totally fine. The first season being the original nine and setting up storylines, then end the season with DracoViolet's failed debut and/or HohouSoldier, maybe HebutsukaiMetal as a cliffhanger.

Then Super Star Force as they balloon to 12 Rangers plus super forms and start resolving everything. They could just directly adapt the show that way, like with Timeranger.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Larryb posted:

Kyuranger might be a bit unwieldy for PR since they could barely handle 10 rangers back in Dino Charge (though to be fair, Kyoryuger wasn’t much better in that regard). My personal guess is that Kiramager is next.

I think they could make it work

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I'd be absolutely chill with Power Rangers doing Kyuranger. It's such a colossal cast, they could actually do the "two seasons" thing and it would be totally fine. The first season being the original nine and setting up storylines, then end the season with DracoViolet's failed debut and/or HohouSoldier, maybe HebutsukaiMetal as a cliffhanger.

Then Super Star Force as they balloon to 12 Rangers plus super forms and start resolving everything. They could just directly adapt the show that way, like with Timeranger.

Exactly

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fair, though I am curious if they’d turn some of the suited characters human or just leave them as is.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'm not sure how they did it in the Sentai, but it would be cool to have a huge rotating team of rangers that went on separate missions all over the Galaxy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

JT Smiley posted:

I'm not sure how they did it in the Sentai, but it would be cool to have a huge rotating team of rangers that went on separate missions all over the Galaxy.

That’s basically how it worked in Kyuranger (they’d typically split into smaller teams and go on missions together)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Remember, even though Rangers does two seasons, it's a total of 40 episodes - cut down from the ~50 of most Sentai series.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I absolutely don't think they could make Kyuranger work and the mecha just look terrible and the monsters are awful. There's still a lot of time between the end of Dino Fury and whatever the next PR would be and Zenkaiger will definitely be done by then. 2023 isn't an Anniversary year, but it would be an anniversary season for PR and Hasbro might skip to Zenkaiger to capitalize on that. Kiramaiger would be the other series I'd see Hasbro adapting but maybe toning down the sparkle a little to keep it more appropriate to the primary target demo

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Zyuohger to me seems their backup option atm, it's not the best suitable footage in ways but they can play the minecraft angle easily. And for how terrible megaforce was, there is a crossover potential as well.

Doubt well ever get Power Rangers ACAB vs Power Rangers Brutality.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zedd posted:

Zyuohger to me seems their backup option atm, it's not the best suitable footage in ways but they can play the minecraft angle easily. And for how terrible megaforce was, there is a crossover potential as well.

Doubt well ever get Power Rangers ACAB vs Power Rangers Brutality.

It could be nice to see the Megaforce team return in the hands of slightly more competent writers at least.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I can't see them doing Zenkaiger, tbh. Not even as the next season, but just at all. The leader's suit alone isn't even an actual Power Rangers reference, not to mention they seem to use a fair amount of other non-PR-adapted powers too. I guess they could always pull a Super Megaforce and say "These are Ranger powers not from Earth" or what the gently caress ever, but considering that was a bullshit excuse used to justify that season's weird laziness in regards to editing, I would prefer they didn't.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What are they using Kamen rider powers or something?

I think all the Zenkaiger stuff looks super cool, except the "civilian" robot costumes. I say adapt it, make the characters humans instead, and if something is from something we wouldn't know call it new

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

What are they using Kamen rider powers or something?

I think all the Zenkaiger stuff looks super cool, except the "civilian" robot costumes. I say adapt it, make the characters humans instead, and if something is from something we wouldn't know call it new

No, it’s just that the main character’s suit is inspired by the original Sentai, Himitsu Sentai Goranger (though there might be some Kamen Rider elements in there as well such as the antennae on the helmet)

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

It also has a big ol’ 45 on the front of the helmet

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Power Rangers films enough of it's own footage that they can just take the 45 off his helmet. They use very little sentai stuff now.

Even if they didn't erase it completely, most of their original era had people suddenly appear in shots that weren't there before and people tolerated it. If anything is a problem it's their own ambition to cut out "obvious Japanese footage" cutaways like when Ecliptor is ultimately defeated by Andros and that Megaranger idol chick is watching in the background. But yeah, between filming a lot of their own stuff and some photoshop to oft-repeated sequences I don't think it's a problem.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

No, it’s just that the main character’s suit is inspired by the original Sentai, Himitsu Sentai Goranger (though there might be some Kamen Rider elements in there as well such as the antennae on the helmet)

There is zero Rider in ZenKaiser

Its strictly an AkaRanger riff. That can get a bit confusing because of the same creator of the core designs, Ishinomori, but that is the case. ZenKaiser is designed as the Sixth of GoRanger.

However that doesn't matter for a PR adaptation. The numbers don't either. Kids won't know what they mean, and they likely won't address it.

I'm going to be very surprised if Zenkaiger isn't the source material for the 2023 series. I don't see Hasbro passing that up at all.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The most they might address it is if the call it "Morphin Grid Universe Designate 45" or "16," etc. like how the main Marvel comics universe is 616. What about the other numbers? Who cares?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Omg Hunter Deno liked my tweet!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

The most they might address it is if the call it "Morphin Grid Universe Designate 45" or "16," etc. like how the main Marvel comics universe is 616. What about the other numbers? Who cares?

Yeah the whole Worlds thing would actually give them a lot of options

Come to think about it, they could easily tie this together with both Drakkon and various past machine based enemy factions

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
see I would have just thought they could easily take them off and make the numbers "Proper"-1 for Zyuran, 8 for Gaon, 12 for Magine and 13 for Vroom, then give Zenkaiser a 30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That doesn’t work. There are powers that long predate MMPR; Dino Fury being a recent example