Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

The Black Stones posted:

The promotional materials literally has a girl in a super revealing fantasy outfit. Did you close your eyes before you pressed play?
Yes obviously not what I was talking about, why the hell do you think anyone would be surprised by that.

It's him murdering the best friend npc out of the blue in what people were calling a comedy

The Black Stones posted:

Yeah. That too. It’s a comedy about a lovely MMO. It was always billed as one. Why the surprise about jokes? Jokes are a thing a comedy should have.
Ok this sounds like you didn't even watch it or you'd have some clue as to what the surprising/unsettling part was.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jackard posted:

Yes obviously not what I was talking about, why the hell do you think anyone would be surprised by that.

It's him murdering the best friend npc out of the blue in what people were calling a comedy

Ok this sounds like you didn't even watch it or you'd have some clue as to what the surprising/unsettling part was.

Are you not familiar with the concept of dark humour? :confused:

The whole point of it is the punchline of his title and oh god how do you gently caress up that badly?! :yikes:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Yea I went in expecting something goofy or funny like Konosuba or Nekomimineko and instead we get that

At least give a heads up next time

Jackard fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 11, 2021

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall in a well and die.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they did weirdly linger on the knife in a couple shots to it set up

i definitely feel bad about the death but it was also funny as a thing with the mc digging his own grave

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dogsicle posted:

they did weirdly linger on the knife in a couple shots to it set up

i definitely feel bad about the death but it was also funny as a thing with the mc digging his own grave

Showing the knife is just a nice little chekov's gun because we know the realism conceit going and we know that's going to provide a firm wake-up call as to the nature of the game for the protagonist. Surely it'll be a cut, or maybe a stab wound in his shoulder or oh. Oops. :stonklol:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So is this show a fakeout thing? The PV just made it look like a generic ecchi comedy.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's definitely still that. him accidentally killing an npc in ep1 is just more of an escalation than i think most people expected, especially with how it's presented in the moment.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Please tell me that was the OP to Nagatoro in ep1 because holy Jesus did they go all out.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
86 looks really interesting. I'm not quite sure how though that: It is specifically that squadron that seems to make people go crazy with what I presume is PTSD? But not any other squadron that seems to be just as bad if not worse? The "86" troopers (regular humans vs I presume quasi immortal designer baby humans?) all seem oddly well adjusted to boot.

e: I decided to give Mushoku Tensei a look and it's actually really good.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 11, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

86 looks really interesting. I'm not quite sure how though that: It is specifically that squadron that seems to make people go crazy with what I presume is PTSD? But not any other squadron that seems to be just as bad if not worse? The "86" troopers (regular humans vs I presume quasi immortal designer baby humans?) all seem oddly well adjusted to boot.

The show's going to reveal more later, I'm sure, but it's not the squad in general as much as it's their top pilot specifically. Apparently, brainlinking with the Undertaker makes people hear 'the voices of the dead', in a way that they don't have to deal with normally.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
I'll definitely be following it! Interesting Ender's Game vibes to it now that I think about it.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Me, repeatedly deciding not to start megalo box 2: but I don’t wanna watch something good I want to watch traaaaash

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

kater posted:

Me, repeatedly deciding not to start megalo box 2: but I don’t wanna watch something good I want to watch traaaaash

Be the trash you want to be! :D

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

kater posted:

You're in ADTRW. It's all trash here. The only thing trashier is the poo poo that goes on in BSS

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

chumbler posted:

I'm interested to see where TWEWY goes since it already has some minor divergences from the game, possibly just for the sake of brevity. It looks pretty good in motion, though I'll agree the noise aren't great.Making something with a completely out of place art style can work, but it's not really landing here. The graffiti limbs thing I think would've been almost impossible to really translate into a 3d look.

I'm guessing the Noise are like that because they want them to look artificial and out of place in contrast with the players and reapers looking "normal." Unfortunately it comes across as kind of ugly instead of otherworldly.

The TWEWY pacing felt about right given how long the game is and how much they have to cover in a single cours; it makes sense for them to speed through the first half of Week 1 where nothing much happens except character introductions.

The stuff I didn't like was them skipping the puzzle nature of the missions entirely since that's what makes it the Reapers' Game. Making the Tech a Reaper is also a weird choice (even if it totally makes sense plot-wise) considering he's far from being the only NPC who can interact with Neku in the game, so I just hope that doesn't end up being their explanation for everything.

It definitely feels like it's suffering from not being two cours, though - that would have let them dedicate episode 1 to W1D1 and 2, and probably make Day 3 a whole episode on its own, that way they could have kept them having to rush to figure out the actual mission objectives.

I'm guessing we'll get to W1D7 by the end of episode 3 or 4, and then the show will slow down a bit for Week 2.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Jackard posted:

Yes I did watch it.

Yes him murdering his best friend was hilarious as hell. He’s in a MMO and the reactions became over the top and absurd that I was laughing the whole time because I knew that he didn’t kill a human. The sisters reaction and going berserk on him while the MC ran away was stupidly funny

I’m not taking the show seriously at all because I had an expectation that it’s a comedy. So I laugh at the funny parts.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
86 seems like it's trying to muse on both racism and the dehumanization of drone warfare. Except, historically speaking, slave soldiers who are also pushed to the bottom of the social hierarchy is really not a Thing. You can have slave soldiers, but they actually gain disproportionate political power (Mamluks, Janissaries). You can have all-consuming dehumanizing racism (like antebellum slavery), and this actually precludes your ability to be trained for warfare (lest these slave soldiers become a threat). But not both at the same time.

And jfc drunk at 9am? That's too far even for me.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 11, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

86 seems like it's trying to muse on both racism and the dehumanization of drone warfare. Except, historically speaking, slave soldiers who are also pushed to the bottom of the social hierarchy is really not a Thing. You can have slave soldiers, but they actually gain disproportionate political power (Mamluks, Janissaries). You can have all-consuming dehumanizing racism (like antebellum slavery), and this actually precludes your ability to be trained for warfare (lest these slave soldiers become a threat). But not both at the same time.

And jfc drunk at 9am? That's too far even for me.

Actually, it was a thing at least once - the British Empire bought slaves to serve in the West India Regiments, where they guarded the Empire's Caribbean colonies. They were treated as inferior to white soldiers, although this faded a little over time as they demonstrated both their military value and their willingness to mutiny when mistreated.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

based on the opening minutes of ep2, dragon house hunting is getting a "it's a comedy? let's put in language like 'come at me bro' and 'heroes are the ultimate cringe'" localization. can't wait for all the epic memery XD hope they make a freakin FTW "that's gonna be a no from me dawg" reference :twisted:

e: i was just gonna talk about, when's the realtor gonna realize that letty ain't got any money because he's a child? but i forgot that when the bad subs happened

anyway, looks like my initial hunch was right, that the show is largely going to be fantasy house tours and i'm all for that. at least the bad subs were only a couple of lines and it's not some Ninja Nonsense poo poo

....i say that and then the second half suddenly dials up the jokes/references to machine gun pace. feels like the show can't decide if it wants to be gentle comedy with a slightly mean edge like the first episode, or a wacky comedy with constant jokes/gags and 4th wall breaking like sleepy princess

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 11, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
There isn't a close analogy, but there are things that are maybe in the ballpark. Like Roman auxiliary troops recruited from migrating peoples. I don't get the sense that the "drones" are slaves, after all that wouldn't make sense; but clearly yeah they are at the bottom of the hierarchy.

ghost sex
May 19, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

based on the opening minutes of ep2, dragon house hunting is getting a "it's a comedy? let's put in language like 'come at me bro' and 'heroes are the ultimate cringe'" localization. can't wait for all the epic memery XD hope they make a freakin FTW "that's gonna be a no from me dawg" reference :twisted:

e: i was just gonna talk about, when's the realtor gonna realize that letty ain't got any money because he's a child? but i forgot that when the bad subs happened

anyway, looks like my initial hunch was right, that the show is largely going to be fantasy house tours and i'm all for that. at least the bad subs were only a couple of lines and it's not some Ninja Nonsense poo poo

....i say that and then the second half suddenly dials up the jokes/references to machine gun pace. feels like the show can't decide if it wants to be gentle comedy with a slightly mean edge like the first episode, or a wacky comedy with constant jokes/gags and 4th wall breaking like sleepy princess

the official manga translation makes a loving all your base joke so expect more of that poo poo just constantly

it's fun enough but Jesus Christ

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
86 is interesting enough and I'd like to see more. I did chuckle upon realizing this felt extremely inspired by a few other anime, but I'm not a stickler for originality above all other things. I imagine the ongoing light novels have more than enough time to establish their own identity, despite starting off from a very similar situation, so let's see where they go.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Enjoyed 86 a lot, didn't get an overly derivative vibe from it at all. Big fan of the food spills -> upsetting violence cuts lol

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Battle Athletes Victory ReSTART! is already setting up for some of the weirdness that the older series had right from the start, with the three men with codenames over the top complaining about sports. Also Shelley needs to chill a bit, Kanata is just being the dumb main character who wants to be friends with everyone.

I liked the callbacks the OP animation had to the older series too (which btw got license rescued and is now available on blu-ray and I recommend it for some good 90s anime silliness)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 11, 2021

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
So, four things:

1. I recognize that text is never sufficient at expressing emotion, nuance, and intent, so please understand that when I say that "The Pretty Boys Detective Agency" is gayer than the entire population of Fire Island, I mean it as a compliment. But there's a separate thread for it, so I'll leave it at that. :gaysper:

2. Out of curiosity over the comments here I decided to watch the first episode of "Super Cub." How good could it be?

:syoon:

Okay, another one to watch. And tell my broker to invest in Honda.

3. Today's episode of "Dragon's House Hunting" continues to show that Letty is just a precious scaly cinnamon roll. And when Dearia said he was a demon lord and a real estate agent, my first thought was "There's a difference?" :holy:

4. "Kumo Desu Ga, Nani Ka?" continues to hammer home the point that it's Aoi Yuki's world and we're just living in it. :spiderguy:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Starsnostars posted:

I mistakenly thought that Blue Reflection Ray was going to be an adaptation of the game's plot rather than telling it's own story. Having just completed the game I appreciate the design consistency with title cards and loading screen symbols.

Yuzu and Lime are there, so maybe it's a prequel?

Tamba fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 11, 2021

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The new character designs in Megalobox 2 are hitting it out of the park, with Chief and Marla being my favorites.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I wonder if slime witch's hair looking kind of like ant mandibles is intentional, given her backstory.

Also I'm glad her hat is sufficiently large.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I do like that in Slime the lead voiced by Aoi Yuuki is having the isekai life that the lead in Spider (also voiced by Aoi Yuuki) really wants

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

someone should adapt one of shinya murata's bug girl manga

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I do like that in Slime the lead voiced by Aoi Yuuki is having the isekai life that the lead in Spider (also voiced by Aoi Yuuki) really wants

She can't escape from her house destroyed though. :(

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
86 seems like it could be a fun SF story but it was a weird choice to give away the twist in the first few seconds and then spend the rest of the episode pretending there's some kind of mystery left there.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Glad I'm skipping it, sounds like it can only get more mediocre from here

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

if it focuses more on the spearhead squad it will probably be good, idrc about the sad girl being sad about commanding them unless they're going to build some intrigue or something on that side

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
i support 86 cause the author of the origina LNs is a lesbian who went on a giant rant about how she doesnt like wearing tights but loves them on other women in the authors notes, unprompted

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Endorph posted:

i support 86 cause the author of the origina LNs is a lesbian who went on a giant rant about how she doesnt like wearing tights but loves them on other women in the authors notes, unprompted

If true, then that's amazing.

dogsicle posted:

if it focuses more on the spearhead squad it will probably be good, idrc about the sad girl being sad about commanding them unless they're going to build some intrigue or something on that side

They're probably going to go for some romantic tension with her and the guy . Again, it'd be predictable, but not a bad thing in my opinion.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Endorph posted:

granted, it was garters, and you mixed her up with an erodoujin afterword i brought up before (the LN author just says "arent garters nice?"), but the endorsement stands

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

SatoshiMiwa posted:

People say "So I'm a Spider, So what?" is a ripoff of "That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime".

Aoi Yuuki plays Kumoko in "So I'm a Spider, So what?". and the Slime killing Witch in "I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level"

Coincidence? i think not!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nitrousoxide posted:

People say "So I'm a Spider, So what?" is a ripoff of "That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime".

This seems like a silly argument because like all isekai are ripping each other off nowadays.