Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

That... is something and I can’t stop watching it. :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Anita Dickinme posted:

That... is something and I can’t stop watching it. :eyepop:

The full movie is a crazy rear end story and well worth your time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wizard_of_Speed_and_Time

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

:lol: yeah he's in lots of stuff and has a very recognizable voice

fun fact: it's been almost as long between Deus Ex: Human Revolution and now as it was between the original Deus Ex and DX:HR! :corsair:

fakedit: still a banger of a trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq5KWLqUewc

unfake edit: Night City is the hub I always wanted for a Deus Ex game...

Oh Jesus Christ.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

This is basically what effects look like in The Flash TV show.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

The full movie is a crazy rear end story and well worth your time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wizard_of_Speed_and_Time

I can’t believe I was actually willing to watch it but I looked on all my streaming services and none of them have it. :(

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Anita Dickinme posted:

I can’t believe I was actually willing to watch it but I looked on all my streaming services and none of them have it. :(

Which is probably no accident. Part of why it's a crazy rear end story is that the studio system he had to work with to get it made tried to bury it, which is exactly the plot of the movie itself.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Anita Dickinme posted:

https://youtu.be/j5a_00YVVkQ

(Not files, Jittlov approved)

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

BooDooBoo posted:

This is drat cool.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BooDooBoo posted:

Oh god I thought I was spared. I’ll definitely find some time for this.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh, Nauvoo is the name of the town Mormons founded after they were chased out of Missouri into Illinois.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

twistedmentat posted:

Oh, Nauvoo is the name of the town Mormons founded after they were chased out of Missouri into Illinois.
I only know what's on the Wikipedia page, but the history of the Nauvoo Temple seemed like an appropriate parallel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nauvoo_Temple

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

AtraMorS posted:

I only know what's on the Wikipedia page, but the history of the Nauvoo Temple seemed like an appropriate parallel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nauvoo_Temple

It's pretty cool when they fired the temple at a CSA fireship in Boston harbor.

Also Expanse has been nominated for a Hugo
https://twitter.com/worldcon2021/status/1381990699730673665

The fact its up there with something on the level of the Mandolorian and Doctor Who impressive.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

No award for best speech in a show like the scene in which Amos gets his friend with benefits onboard the Roci?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Nothing Chibnall has done with Who deserves a Hugo

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The Good Place series finale, an absolute gem of a masterpiece and as perfect a series finale can be, is tough to beat.

"Chidi, wait up!" got the hardest laugh out of me of that whole drat show and made me cry afterwards. Also, the last words spoken on the show are "take it sleazy" and it loving works!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

More old-BSG: there's a two-parter that takes place on an ice planet (which is awfully reminiscent of Empire Strikes Back, though this came first), which introduces the idea of clone humans referred to as like "Series 5". Given the era, they apparently had to cast them all using twins/triplets and have the guys all wear huge beards to make them look more similar.

The climactic countdown scene to where the infiltration team was going to blow up the big planet-side gun that was about to blow up the Galactica as it passed by was even more Star Warsy than anything else in the show so far.

God though, the acting is just atrocious, especially on the one-offs/guest stars. And the kid, ugh. I can only imagine how convinced they were of the importance of having a self-insert so they could sell toys, but good lord am I glad Boxey and Muffit didn't make it into the reboot. Just excruciating

Still, as I go through it I'm more and more reminded that for all its 9/11-era gritty realism, the 2003 BSG really does kind of stick out in how hard it tries to be "just like us", in terms of social structure, dialogue/vocabulary, how the military works, etc. Although it's cheesier, old-BSG does keep you aware that these people aren't just modern humans in slightly odd uniforms who use words like "frak" and "DRADIS". I have a feeling that if they were to reboot it again (as I gather there has been talk of them doing), it would go a bit further back along the axis of making the humans seem like an alien culture, not just "us" transplanted into a period/alien environment, as was the style at the time ("lol let's do a Jesus movie where they all talk like Aaron Sorkin characters" etc)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Azhais posted:

Nothing Chibnall has done with Who deserves a Hugo

Yea I was thinking "Why is that on there". I mean Who is at this point a major franchise but the last runs have been pretty crummy.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Data Graham posted:

More old-BSG.

God though, the acting is just atrocious, especially on the one-offs/guest stars. And the kid, ugh. I can only imagine how convinced they were of the importance of having a self-insert so they could sell toys, but good lord am I glad Boxey and Muffit didn't make it into the reboot. Just excruciating

Boxy was in the mini series. I think he got blown up.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The novelization of The Gun on Ice Planet Zero is so bizarrely full of gravitas that it feels like an artifact from a parallel universe where BSG(1979) was literature.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Jows posted:

Boxy was in the mini series. I think he got blown up.

RDM famously has a “no kids, no pets” rule. I think he was dumped for the series, but did show up for an ep or two randomly.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

swickles posted:

The Good Place series finale, an absolute gem of a masterpiece and as perfect a series finale can be, is tough to beat.

I agree, it would be nice for a show this amazing to get some recognition.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Fugitive of the Judoon isn't very well written, but its certainly fun. It's a load of crazy unexplained plot swerves being machine gunned at you. It owns, but certainly doesn't deserve a nomination.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

RDM famously has a “no kids, no pets” rule. I think he was dumped for the series, but did show up for an ep or two randomly.

I bet this is why Jake and Nog turned out so well.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Data Graham posted:

The climactic countdown scene to where the infiltration team was going to blow up the big planet-side gun that was about to blow up the Galactica as it passed by was even more Star Warsy than anything else in the show so far.

That may be because it's a straight copy of The Guns of Navarone, which is from the same era of WW2 films that Star Wars liberally cribs from.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

swickles posted:

No joke, the She-Ra finale (and series in all) was pretty dang good, too.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

swickles posted:

The original Futurama ending (Season 4) is the GOAT IMO, but I'd put the Good Place up there.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

old-BSG: rad, another Western episode, of the "make your leading man into the sheriff Rango/Preacher/High Plains Drifter-style to fight off the local bad guys" strain. Oh and this one's mostly comedy due to the presence of what I now realize is a long-running and increasingly weird and dated late-20th-century device, the "oversexed older woman who has the hots for the dignified captain and keeps pressuring him to court her"

I guess it's pretty fun to see the look of comic horror Lorne Greene keeps getting on his face when she drifts into sight; but of course now Lwaxana Troi seems a lot less like a novel idea

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There is a mockumentary called The Canadian Conspiracy that suggests that Canadians are so prevalent in Hollywood because Canada is trying to take over the US. It suggests that Lorne Green is the leader of it, and at one point, in a scary voice it says

Lorne GREEN, GREEN Card

and then

LORNE GREEN, LORNE Michaels

And thats what pops in my head every time I see Lorne Green.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Why is Lorne such a popular Canadian name, anyway? I'm guessing it has something to do with the Scottish. Anyway, sometimes I like to imagine really Canadian names that make me laugh, like 'Lorne Hillier' or 'Gordon Bouchard'.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

There is a mockumentary called The Canadian Conspiracy that suggests that Canadians are so prevalent in Hollywood because Canada is trying to take over the US. It suggests that Lorne Green is the leader of it, and at one point, in a scary voice it says

Lorne GREEN, GREEN Card

and then

LORNE GREEN, LORNE Michaels

And thats what pops in my head every time I see Lorne Green.

...is this why Lorne in Buffy was green?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Mister Speaker posted:

Why is Lorne such a popular Canadian name, anyway? I'm guessing it has something to do with the Scottish. Anyway, sometimes I like to imagine really Canadian names that make me laugh, like 'Lorne Hillier' or 'Gordon Bouchard'.

Lornes, Gords, Mackenzies, we got loads of them

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I heard that some day a man by the name of Gord Mackenzie will lead the Leafs to the Cup and then be proclaimed King of Canada.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Raymond Valcartier

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Long shall tales be told of the Acts of Gord

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Data Graham posted:

old-BSG: rad, another Western episode, of the "make your leading man into the sheriff Rango/Preacher/High Plains Drifter-style to fight off the local bad guys" strain. Oh and this one's mostly comedy due to the presence of what I now realize is a long-running and increasingly weird and dated late-20th-century device, the "oversexed older woman who has the hots for the dignified captain and keeps pressuring him to court her"

I guess it's pretty fun to see the look of comic horror Lorne Greene keeps getting on his face when she drifts into sight; but of course now Lwaxana Troi seems a lot less like a novel idea

It can't be overstated enough just how popular westerns were, at this time. Before comic book movies and the MCU, the film industry had westerns: they were the tentpole films of the 60s and especially the 70s!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

It can't be overstated enough just how popular westerns were, at this time. Before comic book movies and the MCU, the film industry had westerns: they were the tentpole films of the 60s and especially the 70s!

There were more westerns made in ever year than all the superhero movies made since Iron man. Plus there were tons of them on TV.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Plus it can't be accidental that they apparently had the Star Trek "wagon train to the stars" slogan ringing in their ears and thought "hmmmmm what if we had Star Wars aesthetics/ensemble but did Star Trek stories??"

Plus bonus Mormonish overtones of the actual "trek" towards salvation, which makes Trek itself seem haphazard and aimless in retrospect.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Gunsmoke ran for 20 seasons. While also in direct competition to Bonanza...for 14 seasons.

I mean, yeah, there were four channels and a weird scattering of local programming, but those shows were titans.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
They were also really cheap to make with a good backlot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
And Lorne Green was mainly known for Bonanza at the time