Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
https://youtu.be/ktiozJt7WJQ

Oh jeeze, here's the full video showing, yup, he absolutely meant "tasered" when he said "you're fixing to ride the lightening" as he holstered his firearn and immediately drew his taser.

There I am again, just licking boots. :rolleyes:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Bored As gently caress posted:

Oh jeeze, here's the full video showing, yup, he absolutely meant "tasered" when he said "you're fixing to ride the lightening" as he holstered his firearn and immediately drew his taser.

The amount of news agencies loving up that "ride the lightning" means "getting tased" means that the words "ride the lightning" should never loving ever leave a cop's mouth. Ever. The last thing a cop should be doing is adding any potential for mistranslation with people you're pulling over or confronting. In a massively stressful situation, when the LT is scared out of his loving mind, the cops are shouting slang in commands.

The whole thing is bad. It's fine to say it's bad. It's even fine to say that it's really loving bad.

It's really loving bad.

Anyways, here's the first thing I've seen about timing on the full-blown approval of the COVID vaccines. TLDR: Companies need to submit 6-months of full data, then the FDA usually takes about 6 months after that for the full-blown approval. Moderna/Pfizer/J&J probably go full-blown approved by the end of the year.

https://www.10news.com/news/coronavirus/in-depth-how-full-fda-approval-would-impact-vaccine-mandates-competition

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
My dads campus is doing the same thing. Mandatory is going to be a struggle until its approved and no longer under the EUA.

The government is the only one that can mandate it right? Although even if they can it would immediately go to court.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

lightpole posted:

My dads campus is doing the same thing. Mandatory is going to be a struggle until its approved and no longer under the EUA.

The government is the only one that can mandate it right? Although even if they can it would immediately go to court.

The federal government can't mandate it, the state governments probably can mandate it, and nongovernmental entities or employers likely can mandate it (like your dad's campus). The trouble is that this is all untested in the court systems for EUA-level drugs, as everyone is operating on a law passed with muddled language pointing in both yes/no directions in/around 2001.

Here's a big honkin' article on the whole thing: https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/issue-brief/key-questions-about-covid-19-vaccine-mandates/

That's why colleges are starting the mandate train - they're the most likeliest entities to prevail in court, but it's not a sure thing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Flying_Crab posted:

I don’t hate this idea. Small military branch (possibly a third strictly National Guard aligned branch for Title 32 v. Title 10 reasons?) fully under UCMJ that handles armed LE stuff only to the extent absolutely necessary such as violent felonies, active shooter situations, major event security, etc. but does not respond to calls that don’t ordinarily require an armed response. The FBI can stay in their current investigative/CI role. All other normal state/local LE duties are replaced by social/medical workers, parking checkers or unarmed state investigators. etc.

Yes, a nationally empowered locally operating police force under direct control of the president. This is a wonderful idea.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Dammit! FrozenVent didn't even give a 6er to the wrong person.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Godholio posted:

Yes, a nationally empowered locally operating police force under direct control of the president. This is a wonderful idea.

On one hand, local law enforcement is thuggish and unaccountable.

On the other hand,

quote:

“When you see these towns and when you see these thugs being thrown into the back of a paddy wagon, you just see them thrown in, rough, and I said, ‘Please don’t be too nice,’ “ Trump told the audience of law enforcement officers at Suffolk County Community College in Brentwood, N.Y.

“Like when you guys put somebody in the car and you’re protecting their head, you know, the way you put their hand over, like, don’t hit their head and they’ve just killed somebody, don’t hit their head, I said, ‘You can take the hand away, OK?’ “

quote:

In a 2017 phone call, Trump told Duterte, “I just wanted to congratulate you because I am hearing of the unbelievable job on the drug problem. Many countries have the problem, we have a problem, but what a great job you are doing and I just wanted to call and tell you that.”

quote:

“When the students poured into Tiananmen Square, the Chinese government almost blew it. Then they were vicious, they were horrible, but they put it down with strength.”

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

facialimpediment posted:

Anyways, here's the first thing I've seen about timing on the full-blown approval of the COVID vaccines. TLDR: Companies need to submit 6-months of full data, then the FDA usually takes about 6 months after that for the full-blown approval. Moderna/Pfizer/J&J probably go full-blown approved by the end of the year.

https://www.10news.com/news/coronavirus/in-depth-how-full-fda-approval-would-impact-vaccine-mandates-competition

So it sounds like Biden could make it mandatory for the military tomorrow, but he probably figures that the cost of the inevitable right wing shitstorm isn't worth it if it's expected to get full authorization in a few months anyway.

There are already some incentives in place to get vaccinated; mostly in the form of not having to ROM on the back side of out-of-area leave. A CO can't explicitly deny leave solely based on vaccination status, but not having to ROM for 10 days can factor in to whether or not it's feasible to approve a leave request. Right now the official guidance, at least on the Navy side, is that people don't need to ROM if they're a close contact of a potential COVID case. This is a big deal because it's not the one guy who gets COVID that fucks up your unit, it's the dozen people who are close contacts and also have to ROM that brings things to a grinding halt.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I didn't say it was a great idea, but we need to find a solution.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

facialimpediment posted:

Max weighed in on the Marines turning down COVID vaccinations.

https://twitter.com/TerminalLance/status/1381033436089999365

As the okinawans can attest it's super appropriate he went with the drake meme

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Midjack posted:

Jefferson Davis chair saga has ended.

quote:

The concrete chair, which the NOPD said is valued at $500,000,

LOL good one

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

On one hand, local law enforcement is thuggish and unaccountable.

On the other hand,

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm the guy smirking in back

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Kim's "loving what" expression.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's the perfect picture

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Flying_Crab posted:

I don’t hate this idea. Small military branch (possibly a third strictly National Guard aligned branch for Title 32 v. Title 10 reasons?) fully under UCMJ that handles armed LE stuff only to the extent absolutely necessary such as violent felonies, active shooter situations, major event security, etc. but does not respond to calls that don’t ordinarily require an armed response. The FBI can stay in their current investigative/CI role. All other normal state/local LE duties are replaced by social/medical workers, parking checkers or unarmed state investigators. etc.

This is what happens in Italy, there are two branches of police which coverage mundane stuff and a third one (Carabinieri) with military training that gets called for hard stuff(including overseas policing ops with the army).

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
that picture captures what it is to be a chud 100%

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Enjoy the two day nap.

You were absolutely not kidding about this.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You were absolutely not kidding about this.

It's been 3 days but I feel your confusion because I also got jabbed thursday and woke up at 4:30 friday afternoon.

And then I tried to go get something to eat and found out my alternator had poo poo the bed, and got to spend saturday performing semi-delirious feverbrains car surgery

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 11, 2021

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's the perfect picture

I find something new to laugh about everytime.

Also finally got my first vaccine appointment, so I've got that going for me.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Officer's first command: "Put your hands out the window and turn the vehicle off!"

How the gently caress is he supposed to turn the vehicle off with his hands out the window, and how is he supposed to put his hands out the window if he's turning the vehicle off?"

The cop is giving him an impossible set of instructions so that the cop is covered when the LT "doesn't comply."

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Upper arm is still sore but I'm fine otherwise from the J&J baby stem cell shot.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Same here with Pfizer, about 24hrs in and no side effects other than a slightly sore arm, which just happens with certain vaccines anyways. TDAP was incredible, I could barely move my arm without major pain for a few days.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

devmd01 posted:

Same here with Pfizer, about 24hrs in and no side effects other than a slightly sore arm, which just happens with certain vaccines anyways. TDAP was incredible, I could barely move my arm without major pain for a few days.

I must have been lucky, at the beginning of the year I grabbed 2nd course of HPV, a flu shot, and a TDAP because I work on rusty cars and was there anyway and did them all in my left arm. It was about as sore as my first Pfizer. 2nd one coming this week and I'm kinda giddy.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
all I felt from the first shot was raw unlimited power as though my body could draw energy directly from the 5G spectrum

a little soreness as the nanomachines booted up, but only at first

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

US Berder Patrol posted:

all I felt from the first shot was raw unlimited power as though my body could draw energy directly from the 5G spectrum

a little soreness as the nanomachines booted up, but only at first

I heard service pack 1 is where they really get you.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Also Officer Gutierrez is a convicted dog killer.

https://www.tetonvalleynews.net/news/deputy-enters-guilty-plea-over-dog-shooting/article_2f77eb54-9988-5268-84cb-6fdf386f9b40.html

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I got Moderna and was just a little sore in the arm for a day. Getting #2 in a week and a half. It's a pretty big deal for air crew because if you get COVID, you're grounded until NAMI can run you through a full set of pulmonary tests to make sure your lungs aren't swiss cheese. Even just getting the shot itself is a 3-day down, compared to 12 hours for flu shots.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm just glad they gave me the aborted fetus shot, one and done.

Bonus points for making GBS threads on catholics.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Congrats USA, Canada is officially loving up COVID worse than you guys now due to some absolute morons running Ontario and Alberta.

We're getting over 4k cases daily, can't vaccinate our way outta this. Hospitals and ICUs are overrun and all elective surgeries have been postponed.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

MA-Horus posted:

Congrats USA, Canada is officially loving up COVID worse than you guys now due to some absolute morons running Ontario and Alberta.

We're getting over 4k cases daily, can't vaccinate our way outta this.

We're getting 20k cases per day at only twice your population.
And we have a whopping 5 Million people fully vaccinated out of 80 million...

It's the middle of April.

:suicide:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Every other nation not assuming that the Trump led USA would hoard any domestically produced vaccines was a huge fuckup.

Biden continuing the policy is not surprising, but I also think is pretty loving monstrous considering the state of the availability of vaccines elsewhere. He could easily just open the patents now, but the people that pay everyone don't want to turn off their loving gravy train.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm just glad they gave me the aborted fetus shot, one and done.

Bonus points for making GBS threads on catholics.

As far as I can tell, the J&J is not going to be an option in my locality, but it would be my preference. Much like if I take my car in for an inspection, and they tell me my brake pads are close, I ask how much and how long. And I'll pay 100$ more than normal, but I'm not going to have to make a second appointment.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Lack of domestic production for vaccines is a huge part of why we're doing so badly. We simply can't get enough to vaccinate the front line workers (like me) who have to actually go into a factory where cases are loving BAD.

Amazon offered 5000 vaccines to the provincial government to let them reopen a warehouse that had 600 cases.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I wonder whodunnit
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1381264455602933765?s=19

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SquirrelyPSU posted:

As far as I can tell, the J&J is not going to be an option in my locality, but it would be my preference. Much like if I take my car in for an inspection, and they tell me my brake pads are close, I ask how much and how long. And I'll pay 100$ more than normal, but I'm not going to have to make a second appointment.

While I was sitting waiting I got to listen to one of the nurses explaining that we are doing J&J because the effectiveness is too low, which got me thinking about how much more effective the vaccines are going to have to be now than in the past, because antivax idiots ruined everything

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Maybe they are in Texas’s power grid

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

SquirrelyPSU posted:

When I made my appointment with the VA clinic the text message they sent very boldly stated FIRST SHOT and they wound up punching me with J&J. I was going in with the assumption that I'd get one of the 2 shot vaccines, so to be one and done is nice.

Not sure how the allocation works for VA, you get what you get and that worked fine for me. They were rescheduling people who didn't want baby blood in their serum or who might have interactions to a 2 shot series though.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

Every other nation not assuming that the Trump led USA would hoard any domestically produced vaccines was a huge fuckup.

Biden continuing the policy is not surprising, but I also think is pretty loving monstrous considering the state of the availability of vaccines elsewhere. He could easily just open the patents now, but the people that pay everyone don't want to turn off their loving gravy train.

This article's a few months old, but opening the patents wouldn't just lead to more vaccine production right now: https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2021/02/02/myths-of-vaccine-manufacturing

drat near everything is fully supply bottlenecked and/or needs custom machinery on the mRNA side. On the J&J side, the US trusted Emergent to have cleaning/manufacturing standards that didn't suck (welp), so additional production is hosed until Merck comes online in a few months. The J&J doses that America has are foreign-manufactured, Donnie's people just signed the contracts first so got the deliveries first.

Right now, the US is getting most of the doses because we signed our contracts first. The rest of the world didn't front as much of the gazillions because none of it was guaranteed to produce actual vaccines. On top of that, they had quasi-competent governments pushing mitigation measures, while the Americans were pushing that masks were communism.

So the patent stuff is an issue that will constrain things in 6-12 months with the fight for generics and money. Right now, it's not hurting availability for any other country - that's contracting instead of patents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Duzzy Funlop posted:

We're getting 20k cases per day at only twice your population.
And we have a whopping 5 Million people fully vaccinated out of 80 million...

It's the middle of April.

:suicide:

COVID trajectory for most Western countries is hubris while cases in peer countries spike followed by an inevitable spike in own cases due to hubris.