Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Half our pigs love being scratched on the chin while the other half hate it. One would even politely push your finger away with his paw.

Pigs are weird.

are humans a monoculture? it’s funny that we simultaneously expect our pets to have unique personalities and preferences and also be mostly alike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Newest episode of Molcar is up and it's the best one yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCvg0Ukn0fM

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sirotan posted:

Newest episode of Molcar is up and it's the best one yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCvg0Ukn0fM

If you have not had the opportunity to witness the glory of Pui Pui Molcars yet (Bandai cycles the episodes on the Youtube channel weekly instead of letting them stay up :argh:), they're going on Netflix at the end of March on the 25th.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Mar 16, 2021

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

they're going on Netflix at the end of the 25th.

Oh hell yeah!

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you have not had the opportunity to witness the glory of Pui Pui Molcars yet (Bandai cycles the episodes on the Youtube channel weekly instead of letting them stay up :argh:), they're going on Netflix at the end of March on the 25th.

Thank you for this

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
First outdoor pig of the year. This is Lettuce and she has been at deaths door for like 2 years now.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Chin Strap posted:

First outdoor pig of the year. This is Lettuce and she has been at deaths door for like 2 years now.

She is a very cute and stubborn looking pig. :3:

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Did an Easter / Spring time photoshoot with Dipper and Pokè.

Dipper once again was a very good boy and was patient and posed nicely for me.

Pokè on the other hand tried to chew everything and push the decorations around.

It's hard to believe that they are both going to be two in about a month.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Got a call from new england tropical pet that they had an extremely chatty hamster available, so I went over and picked them up. They're a month old and I could hear them screaming from across the store while he was trying to coax them into the take home box.

They are incredibly jumpy and a total wackjob but I think they're going to be a fun addition to the family. As soon as they got near the food pile in their cage they forgot about freaking out and let me pet them, so they're fairly easy to read. :v:

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Captain Invictus posted:

Got a call from new england tropical pet that they had an extremely chatty hamster available, so I went over and picked them up. They're a month old and I could hear them screaming from across the store while he was trying to coax them into the take home box.

They are incredibly jumpy and a total wackjob but I think they're going to be a fun addition to the family. As soon as they got near the food pile in their cage they forgot about freaking out and let me pet them, so they're fairly easy to read. :v:

Nice, I hope they’ll calm down a little being in a good home.

Here’s me trying to take a close-up of Rod.
(He chases my hand:))

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Four days in and she already is comfortable sleeping in my shirt and is much less skittish when I pick her up. She also sleeps like a rock, the rest of them get up to investigate any sounds or change of lighting basically immediately, she just continues sleeping even when I was using her cage to balance the other cages on while I cleaned them. Does not give a gently caress.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
sleepy baby ham

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Captain Invictus posted:

sleepy baby ham

Aww she is a cutie with a really nice coat pattern. What is her name?

It looks like a I am going to be in the market for a new hamster soon. Pokès health has taken a sharp turn for the worst these past few days. She can barely walk without falling over and she has no energy left. Looks like she has a tumor on her lower abdomen. Im always surprised with how fast tumors can grow on hamsters.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
What do you guys use for litter in ham toilet?
There seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there.

Because of social restrictions, we replaced our egg hunt with a fun gambling for the family day with Rod & Todd. (They only had to run a couple of times each)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0iVC5kLayg

mrfart fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 5, 2021

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
I knew that this was going to happen sooner than later, but little Pokè passed away last night at the age of two. I have an appointment this weekend right next to the pet store I got her from, so maybe new hamster pictures coming soon.

mrfart posted:

Because of social restrictions, we replaced our egg hunt with a fun gambling for the family day with Rod & Todd. (They only had to run a couple of times each)

This is great, im guessing you win whatever is behind the door they run into?

For their bathroom, I never really used anything besides tissue paper and laying down a paper towel under the bedding. Dipper always pees in his pvc tube, so an absorption item is necessary. When I had the dwarves Waffle and Biscuit, they would always use their sand baths as a bathroom. Made for a really easy clean up.

-CHA fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 8, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have named the little girl chichi, and she is a mischievous little poo poo. I was letting her crawl on me like I do with all my hams, and she decided to jump from my legs onto the couch, fumbled the landing, and slid off onto the floor. She was fine, but took the opportunity to BOOK IT under the couch, and then played keep away while I tried to move the couch to get to her. Eventually corralled her with a yardstick, and she collected up all the dust and cobwebs under there for me so she had to take a bath after I retrieved her(since I don't know what's in the dust under there and don't want to risk her eating something weird from it) which she was entirely unenthused by. But she's back home and safe, focusing on treats and tearing up strips of paper towel to nest with, so all is well.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Well I went to a new pet store to get a bag of dog food since the two closer to me have closed, and I made a new friend (a lil mouse)

https://i.imgur.com/xPEKlGp.mp4

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Cage Kicker posted:

Well I went to a new pet store to get a bag of dog food since the two closer to me have closed, and I made a new friend (a lil mouse)

https://i.imgur.com/xPEKlGp.mp4

The Lil guy is adorable, what's its name? This thread was missing some mouse representation.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

-CHA posted:

The Lil guy is adorable, what's its name? This thread was missing some mouse representation.

It is a girl! She doesn't have a name yet. Also, I was assured she could live alone but all the reading I've done suggests I should get her a friend. I am thinking of going back and getting a 10 gal tank and another mouse which she has shared a tank with before. Thoughts from the mouse experts?

To talk about the mousey a bit, she tolerates being petted with a finger tip briefly, she loves to run on the wheel and look for ways to escape, and she had the happiest little reaction when i gave her a bunch of strips of toilet paper and spent all night dragging them into her house. I'm trying not to be leaning in with the camera too much for a few days so she doesn't feel like a science experiment for giant aliens, but she's definitely not bitey and seems curious every time I reach in the cage

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

mrfart posted:

Depends on ham type, don't it? We use chinchilla sand rated for ham, which means it isn't the finest particle size, because it gets in the lungs, pouch and snout and can do damage. That's for a Campbell's Dwarf ham.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
I had been very interesting in getting a chinese dwarf as my next hamster, and as luck would have it my local pet store had a single dwarf that just happened to be a chinese dwarf.

Meet Banjo

The little guy has such a great temperament, he just chilled in our hands when we handled him in the store. Now he is happily settling in and creating an intricate tunnel system in his bedding.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I haven't seen mine in weeks.

well that's not true, I have seen him. for half a second when I turn the lights on and he BOLTS under the bedding.

he straight up will never come out "above ground" if the lights are on. I dig him out every few days just to make sure he's alive and not sick or anything, he's cute and all but mine doesn't really like being held, which is a shame. most of my prior chinese dwarfs were pretty chill, but this one is very antisocial.

banjo's adorable.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

mrfart posted:

Yea def do not use chinchilla powder unless you want a dead hamster. The pet store says it’s fine but it’s such a bad idea.

Here’s my wife’s page on sand and we do this a few times a year.

https://californiahamsterassociation.com/sand

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

ColHannibal posted:

Yea def do not use chinchilla powder unless you want a dead hamster. The pet store says it’s fine but it’s such a bad idea.

Here’s my wife’s page on sand and we do this a few times a year.

https://californiahamsterassociation.com/sand

Thanks for the info.

-CHA posted:

I had been very interesting in getting a chinese dwarf as my next hamster, and as luck would have it my local pet store had a single dwarf that just happened to be a chinese dwarf.

Meet Banjo

The little guy has such a great temperament, he just chilled in our hands when we handled him in the store. Now he is happily settling in and creating an intricate tunnel system in his bedding.

He looks really cute. Do they stay that slim, or is he just still very young?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
chinese dwarfs stay very mouselike throughout their lives, they're very small and lean unless you really gently caress up.

one of my favorite parts is their little prehensile tail. they'll use it as a balancing tool when climbing stuff, even though it's just this little nub of a thing.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Its good to know that they stay that way into adulthood, I am very much enjoying the concept of long ham.

I need to find some good climbing toys for Banjo, all the pet stores I've look at have been nearly sold out of rodent enrichment toys. With the exception of the terrible crap such as the cardboard tubes filled with fluff. Need to find the good loofa structures.
I also need to find out what treats Banjo enjoys so I can use them for hand training.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Tom, my chinese dwarf, absolutely petrifies if he's out in the open, period. you can rub a delicious treat or piece of fruit on his mouth and he won't move or try to take it, just stand stone still. or he twitches slightly, before ZOOMING towards the nearest nook to hide in. he is the personification of "rodents don't like being out in the open".

if I could just get him to not poop all over me whenever I hold him, that would be nice. the rest of them broke that habit really quickly but he is a poop submachine gun

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Captain Invictus posted:

Tom, my chinese dwarf, absolutely petrifies if he's out in the open, period. you can rub a delicious treat or piece of fruit on his mouth and he won't move or try to take it, just stand stone still. or he twitches slightly, before ZOOMING towards the nearest nook to hide in. he is the personification of "rodents don't like being out in the open".

if I could just get him to not poop all over me whenever I hold him, that would be nice. the rest of them broke that habit really quickly but he is a poop submachine gun

Weird how hamsters can have completely different characters. We have two brothers now. Rod is very calm, doesn’t run much and wants to sit on your hand while eating. He does, however, want to sleep by himself. Todd is very mouselike, he could charge a Tesla with the energy he creates in his wheels. He’s easy to pick up, but then can sit still for a second. He likes to go sleep next to his brother and seems oblivious when that guy tells him to go somewhere else.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mrfart posted:

Weird how hamsters can have completely different characters. We have two brothers now. Rod is very calm, doesn’t run much and wants to sit on your hand while eating. He does, however, want to sleep by himself. Todd is very mouselike, he could charge a Tesla with the energy he creates in his wheels. He’s easy to pick up, but then can sit still for a second. He likes to go sleep next to his brother and seems oblivious when that guy tells him to go somewhere else.

You sure the “prefers to sleep alone/prefers to sleep with brother” stuff isn’t just normal dominance/pecking order behavior?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

mrfart posted:

My guinea pigs are brothers and they are pretty different. Waffle doesn’t mind being pet, tends to laze about outside his hidey, and will sometimes refuse to eat treats unless he gets lap time. while Cake backs off if you try petting him in the cage, spends most of his time in his hidey, will always take treats and even still them from his brother, and he likes floor time and popcorns a lot be it floor time or me just finishing a daily cage cleanup.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Ok Comboomer posted:

You sure the “prefers to sleep alone/prefers to sleep with brother” stuff isn’t just normal dominance/pecking order behavior?

It's possible, we're keeping a close eye on it to make sure they don't fight.
The weird thing is that the guy who wants to be alone, and sometimes gives up his nest to go be alone somewhere else, is clearly much bigger and heavier than the guy who's annoying him.
So you wold think that he doesn't have to put up with it.
But if he squeaks, the other guy doesn't seem to care at all?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
testicle pillow, it's the testicle pillooooowwwww!

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Captain Invictus posted:

testicle pillow, it's the testicle pillooooowwwww!

Not going to judge, Hamsters know comfort.

Not sure who needs to see this, but I found these Blind boxes called Ham Egg while I was out the other day. Link Here

I was looking for some climbing toys for Banjo, and I saw the driftwood pieces meant for Reptiles, does anyone know if those would be Hamster safe?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Having one of our pigs put down. He's 8+ years old, blind, going deaf, and can't move his legs anymore. I'm not sure if it's accurate to say that we're "putting him out of his misery" since he still eats and drinks (though we do have to practically shove it in his face to get him to realize it's there). I was under the impression that guinea pigs stop eating and drinking when they're not feeling well, so...maybe he doesn't realize that he should be miserable right now? idk

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Having one of our pigs put down. He's 8+ years old, blind, going deaf, and can't move his legs anymore. I'm not sure if it's accurate to say that we're "putting him out of his misery" since he still eats and drinks (though we do have to practically shove it in his face to get him to realize it's there). I was under the impression that guinea pigs stop eating and drinking when they're not feeling well, so...maybe he doesn't realize that he should be miserable right now? idk

have you read his will? maybe he prefers hospice (I’m sorry for your loss).

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

-CHA posted:

Not going to judge, Hamsters know comfort.

Not sure who needs to see this, but I found these Blind boxes called Ham Egg while I was out the other day. Link Here

I was looking for some climbing toys for Banjo, and I saw the driftwood pieces meant for Reptiles, does anyone know if those would be Hamster safe?
Nice,
Looks like something you might find in a gacha gacha machine in Japan.

Anybody have experience with flax (the plant used for linen) for hamster bedding? I noticed in a garden center today that it’s very popular for horses, because it’s dust free, absorbs well and is also a local product here.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Sooo our dwarf ham somehow put on over 20 grams :eng99:

My girlfriend took the lead on feeding her, and apparently there's been some overuse of treats and insects going on. We've made an immediate switch to lab ham solution (those pills that are a just nutrient combinations and some fibre), and built a lot of tunnels and obstacles for her, as well as increasing floor time - but it's looking dire. Any and all advice on slimming ham welcome!

mrfart posted:

Nice,
Looks like something you might find in a gacha gacha machine in Japan.

Anybody have experience with flax (the plant used for linen) for hamster bedding? I noticed in a garden center today that it’s very popular for horses, because it’s dust free, absorbs well and is also a local product here.

We were discouraged from it by some owners because it may prick a hole in their pouches, but I don't know more.

Tias fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 18, 2021

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Sorry you're having to do this. Sounds like he had a great life if he made it past 8. For my old ones I always hope I'll just walk up to the cage one morning and find they've passed away overnight peacefully, but it's been a long long time since I haven't had to PTS a pig. They can be tenacious little buggers.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
took tom to visit mom, he was his usual scared self, crawled around a bit, and then basically petrified on the spot, as seen in this video:

https://i.imgur.com/4IMPk20.mp4

he is such a cutie, though. I wish he wasn't so terrified all the time. at least him sitting still meant I could get some good pictures!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Aww Tom is adorable. Banjo does the same freeze in place thing for a while before he decides to wander around and finally ending up perching on our shoulders.

I'm jealous that you can see so much of Tom's tail. I can sort of see Banjo's, but he has balls for days so his tail doesn't stick out that much.