Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

Anybody see those little double decker shopping carts at grocery stores? What is the appeal of those things? My local grocery seems to be getting more and more of those things. I haven't tried one myself, but I don't see them having much of an advantage over a regular shopping cart. Is it an old people thing? I mostly see old people using them.

They take up less space in the aisle and so help reduce congestion in the store. Lots of people who use grocery carts are just using them because they don't want to carry a handbasket, and they're perfectly fine with a smaller cart that has a reduced capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

The ones at my local store aren't as long as the full size carts, so they have a better turning radius, much more maneuverable.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Yeah I like them for zipping around all the olds and the slows. I usually just use a small basket but if I have to get beer or something heavy the little double-decker carts are nice.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Also the double decker carts at my supermarket let you store like a big bag of dog food or cat litter underneath without having to worry about it crushing your eggs or whatever.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yeah I like them for zipping around all the olds and the slows. I usually just use a small basket but if I have to get beer or something heavy the little double-decker carts are nice.

Same I'm usually all about the handbasket, carts make shopping take like 5x longer with all the traffic. The snubnose double deckers are a nice compromise in terms of maneuverability when i need a little more capacity.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Small carts for life! It's strange though, their availability seems to vary not store by store but city by city. Denver, every store has them. Small 8000 person town in the corner of the state, no store has them. Another town of 18,000 an hour away, every chain has them. Yet another town, an hour away from the previous two and with 50,000 people? Not in existence at any of the 3 chains.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Is there a way to compost food that includes meat and grease without animals getting to it?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

NotNut posted:

Is there a way to compost food that includes meat and grease without animals getting to it?

Protect the compost enough that animals can't get in? You could get one of those rotating-barrel composters, which is a big sealed metal cylinder, on legs, and with a handle so you can spin it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NotNut posted:

Not at other than commercial scale. Not because you couldn't build something to do it, but because of safety reasons. If the pile doesn't get hot enough long enough and get turned properly so all of it gets this treatment you're likely growing a bunch of pathogens.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Motronic posted:

Not at other than commercial scale. Not because you couldn't build something to do it, but because of safety reasons. If the pile doesn't get hot enough long enough and get turned properly so all of it gets this treatment you're likely growing a bunch of pathogens.

As long as the compost is allowed to finish, it doesn't really matter if it grows pathogens during the middle part. It's not like you're going to eat it.

e: That being said, composting meat is kinda nasty and I prefer not to do it, but you certainly could animal proof it using one of those rotating drums. If you really just want to divert waste, you can just bury the meat stuff in a derelict part of your yard, it'll be bones inside of a year.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 11, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

alnilam posted:

As long as the compost is allowed to finish, it doesn't really matter if it grows pathogens during the middle part. It's not like you're going to eat it.

Somewhat correct. That doesn't address not being able to tell if it's ever gotten past "the middle part", and the kinds of pathogens potentially generated absolutely can end up being eaten if you're using this compost for growing food. This is why compost made this way commercially is lab tested for these issues. Something a home gamer isn't going to be able to go/cost doesn't make any sense for your single barrel of compost vs. a 6 ton batch.

Nothing of what I'm saying is the slightest bit controversial. You can find articles and papers at many different ag schools that cover this topic. I would suggest that those are more reliable than what you'll find on "homesteader" blogs and the like.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
It's mainly just to have a way to dispose of food waste without having to seal it in bags and take it to the dump. I could just not use that compost for gardening and get my real compost elsewhere.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Your dog is your scrap meat disposal.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

NotNut posted:

It's mainly just to have a way to dispose of food waste without having to seal it in bags and take it to the dump. I could just not use that compost for gardening and get my real compost elsewhere.

If your goal is getting rid of food waste, why does it matter if the raccoons get in it? Just toss it out in the yard I'm sure it'll be gone by morning. Maybe not such a good idea if you live somewhere with bears or mountain lions....

There is an entire compost thread in HCH that might have more info: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3958208

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

If your goal is getting rid of food waste, why does it matter if the raccoons get in it? Just toss it out in the yard I'm sure it'll be gone by morning. Maybe not such a good idea if you live somewhere with bears or mountain lions....

There is an entire compost thread in HCH that might have more info: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3958208

The coons, gophers, groundhogs and foxes start hanging around and get into my garden.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also they tend to throw crap around the yard that someone has to clean up.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

For the record, compost with meat and cooked food scraps smells terrible. My buddy in Vancouver used to do that and it reeked from a distance.

There's a pack of coyotes in town (or there was a decade ago) that were pretty happy about it too. Didn't make as much mess as the raccoons though.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

NotNut posted:

I've been tossing a bit to the fish in my creek every day, in hopes they will grow into musclebound superfish.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
What's the disadvantage to putting in a garbage disposal and flushing that crap down there instead?

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Y’all need some chickens or friends with chickens. Dairy, meat, fat, all get turned into delicious eggs. Have too many eggs? They will eat those too.

Here are my chickens chowing down on some yogurt.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Or just live in a sane country where you have a separate bin for compostables which the county takes care of.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I feel like my whole apartment smells bad and id love to do some spring cleaning. Though I'm not a Pinterest housekeeper and I feel like white vinegar isn't going to solve all my problems. It's not yet warm enough here to do my favourite method of open all the windows on a windy day and exchange the stinky human air with dusty bug filled outside air. Help?

I don't live in a goon hovel I promise, I just think the amount of time in the last year I've spent at home means my normal cleaning isn't enough.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Spring cleaning!

Go bananas. Scrub all floors (+walls in kitchen and bathroom). Channel any anger you have into scrubbing the edges. Scour every fixture in the kitchen and bathroom with decalcifier. Dust every surface. Take any rugs outside and beat them to poo poo. If your place has carpet floors, rent a steam cleaner. And keep all windows open the entire time, you'll be sweating anyways, even if its still freezing outside.

Often forgotten, clean the oven fume hood AND the filter inside. It's gross.

I'll be honest it takes me like a day to go full anal on just a single room but it's worth it at least once a year.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

It's not going to solve your problem but it might help in the long term, if you don't already have one, unless you can't afford it because it is a bit of an investment.

My mom gifted me one of those roomba like robots (deebot 600 series) which was very affordable (230 euros) and seriously, it makes a lot of difference.

I live in a fairly big house that could seriously be a comfortable home to two adults with up to 8 kids because of the nature of my job. Think hostel for kids in the foster system. It's a bit more complicated than that but the basic idea is that his house is suitable for a regular family of 4 plus up to 4 foster kids staying here for weekends and holidays.

Big living room, secondary living room that's become the play room, kitchen, big laundry and freezer room, 8 extra bedrooms (of which I only use 5) etc.

But I'm single so I have to take care of all that on my own, which is a hell of a job.

My little robot cut down on my vacuum and mopping time by at least 80%. Instead of having to vacuum the whole place three times a week properly, and mop once every week I only have to do a god vacuum once a week now to get the corners and stuff, and mop once a month maybe?

It doesn't take care of everything. There's still dustbunnies in the corners and around the feet of furniture and stuff sometimes and it doesn't give the floor a good scrub, just a light bit of mopping. Still, now I just take care of those little things when I see them in a minute while the upkeep part of it all has been take out of my hands.

I was seriously kinda awed by how affordable it's gotten and how well it works now. First time I turned it on I spent 15 minutes just watching the little thing go, giddy with excitement because it's the kind of scifi future thing 15 year old me imagined. Just turning it on for the night and letting it do its thing, and walking into a clean living room in the morning without having to have vacuumed it myself felt amazing. Having it mop the floor didn't get rid of the stuff I have to properly mop myself, but it smelled and felt fresh and clean none the less.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Joburg posted:

Y’all need some chickens or friends with chickens. Dairy, meat, fat, all get turned into delicious eggs. Have too many eggs? They will eat those too.

Here are my chickens chowing down on some yogurt.

Used to but got annexed by the city and now it's against ordinance.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
what do the different colors of bookmark stars on your thread user CP mean again

Psychorider
May 15, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

what do the different colors of bookmark stars on your thread user CP mean again

Absolutely nothing, they're just so you can make categories of bookmarks for yourself.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
How long has that feature been there?

I had to go to the options page to see what the fuss was about.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I swear I've heard a version of Sousa's The Liberty Bell, that has someone playing a bell in it. I cannot for the life of me find it again, and I really want it. Sousa marches are already hilarious, and this bell going "ding!" is just the cherry on top. How can I find it? Anyone happen to have a link handy?

(While we're at it, how on earth was Sousa supposed to be stirring and patriotic? I swear, his music is just the funniest thing. I mean, I reckon most people know The Liberty Bell as the theme song of Monty Python's Flying circus!)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

When are we expecting Biden's official presidential portrait? His Veep picture remains the one used on his wiki page.
Edit: Stupid question; it just got released.

https://twitter.com/schultzinit/status/1380510692101459970

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Apr 12, 2021

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

That's what they went with? What's with the creepy half wink?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

regulargonzalez posted:

That's what they went with? What's with the creepy half wink?

they call it 'being old as balls'

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
In the military, if a superior officer is a woman, do you address them as "Sir", still? Is this standardized across the US armed forces?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

CzarChasm posted:

In the military, if a superior officer is a woman, do you address them as "Sir", still? Is this standardized across the US armed forces?

When I was in the Marine Corps, we were taught "ma'am".

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

hooah posted:

When I was in the Marine Corps, we were taught "ma'am".

Same in the navy.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Are there any Latin goons that can answer a question?

Late last week, one of our suppliers sent over their new April 2021 catalogue. It had a pretty generic strapline of "Beauty lies within" on the cover, and the designer had decided to get fancy by putting a Latin translation underneath.

I'm no expert on Latin, but "Pulchritudo in mendacium" seems like a pretty colossal example of why google translate is not a substitute for proper proofreading. As best as I can make out, this translates as something roughly similar to "Beauty in falsehoods/lies".

Being my usual helpful self, I emailed them to let them know. The rather verbose reply I got back can be summed up as "There's absolutely nothing wrong with our translation, learn to Latin". Which one of us screwed up?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

They did.

e: maybe "in interiore pulchritudo"

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 12, 2021

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
We recently switched to tri-ply pans from nonstick, but I'm having a hard time cleaning the frying pans. This Wirecutter article says to boil water in the pan before cleaning, but that seemed to do jack poo poo. They're Tramontina pans, so they're decent quality. Currently I'm using Barkeep's Friend, but that seems like overkill most of the time. What else can I do to clean these things?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cook with more fat? I never have trouble cleaning my stainless pans. Occasionally I need to soak one in hot soapy water for a couple minutes. And if I did gently caress up, then boiling water in the pan and scraping it while it’s boiling would be enough. If that’s not cutting it, then maybe you’re not using enough fat when you cook and/or are cooking on heat that’s too high and burning everything to the pan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Cook with more fat? I never have trouble cleaning my stainless pans. Occasionally I need to soak one in hot soapy water for a couple minutes. And if I did gently caress up, then boiling water in the pan and scraping it while it’s boiling would be enough. If that’s not cutting it, then maybe you’re not using enough fat when you cook and/or are cooking on heat that’s too high and burning everything to the pan.

Ok. First time was asparagus, and I think my wife used butter for the oil. This time was French toast, and she used olive oil Pam.

I didn't think of scraping the pan while the water's boiling, maybe that'll help.