Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I have had my cats deliberately jump that kind of height down onto concrete when stairs were available, provided it was not an awkward fall he is probably 100% fine. Mine literally did it because she was too lazy to go the long way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

it's 1230 and he's kept down his wet food all morning, crisis averted

currently laying in his cat bed enjoying the AC and sunbeam

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Cats are funny with words. Jimmy knew his name (or at least the pitch and rough sound, he probably would have responded to "Pippin" or "Timmy" just as well).

These two don't know their names so well, but I've trained them to respond to a call of "din dins!" - they'll come running from wherever they're hiding for that.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

my cat is norris posted:

How's he doing?

Sorry, I missed this. He's absolutely fine. Hasn't had any more issues.

My other cat Inigo also cost us a bunch of money recently - he ate a piece of yarn my wife was using for a marker while knitting - a little loop about 10cm total length. Took him to the emergency vet again who gave him some strong sedatives to make him vomit, which he did, but he didn't puke up the yarn.

Took him home, where he seemed *extremely* stoned, and just had to keep an eye on him. A week later it showed up in his poop. Expensive little idiot.

Anyway, different issue: Discipline.

We've been having some of the usual cat problems: scratching furniture, getting up on places where he's not allowed, breaking into cupboards to get at food etc. and something I've read is recommended, and we've been having some success with is time-outs, or as I like to call it, "cat jail". Most of the time he gets a warning with a loud and stern verbal "Oi!" from me, and then if he does it again I pick him up, carry him to the bathroom and shut him in for 5-20 mins depending on how much of a pain in the rear end he's been being.

Seems to mostly be working, he knows that the "Oi!" is followed by specific action so he often just stops being naughty with a warning, but I still have to put him in jail sometimes.

The most recent time was this morning at 6:45am. He was in the cupboard again trying to get at his food. We have these lovely closets with sliding doors and I've yet to work out how to stop him getting in there. Anyway, I chased after him and this time he ran absolutely hell-for-leather, worked himself up until he was terrified, and then when I actually caught him he peed a little. Now my wife thinks that I should have let him go, she says it's bad to get him so scared. I think if we let him get away without punishment a single time then it'll reinforce the "If I run away, nothing happens!" behaviour.

Any thoughts, thread?

FWIW he's absolutely fine this morning. I put him in there for 20 mins and let him out and then went immediately back to bed and ignored him, then when I got up this morning he came and said hello to me like he normally does, and let me pick him up, and also spent some time on my lap, so he's definitely not scared of me or anything and doesn't seem traumatised.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 11, 2021

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I don't think chasing after your cat is really ever a good idea unless it's, like, to stop them from getting run over or something. Especially if they are clearly so scared. They are not smart enough to understand punishment. "Oi" and redirecting is about all you can do.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Bollock Monkey posted:

I don't think chasing after your cat is really ever a good idea unless it's, like, to stop them from getting run over or something. Especially if they are clearly so scared. They are not smart enough to understand punishment. "Oi" and redirecting is about all you can do.

Yeah, cats don't understand punishment. According to some book on cat psychology, they barely understand cause and effect.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

pidan posted:

Yeah, cats don't understand punishment. According to some book on cat psychology, they barely understand cause and effect.

Maybe not cause and effect, directly, but they certainly understand correlation - "If I do thing A, thing B can happen."

"If I howl enough, the humans will give me food."

As another example, they can understand that the humans will get upset if they get caught lying on a particular table. Their response, however, is not to avoid lying on the table but to listen carefully for the approach of the humans and jump off before they get caught.

Generally, they can be trained with positive reinforcement of behaviors you like. Punishment doesn't cause them to avoid unwanted behaviors, it just makes them avoid getting caught.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

WhatEvil posted:

The most recent time was this morning at 6:45am. He was in the cupboard again trying to get at his food. We have these lovely closets with sliding doors and I've yet to work out how to stop him getting in there. Anyway, I chased after him and this time he ran absolutely hell-for-leather, worked himself up until he was terrified, and then when I actually caught him he peed a little. Now my wife thinks that I should have let him go, she says it's bad to get him so scared. I think if we let him get away without punishment a single time then it'll reinforce the "If I run away, nothing happens!" behaviour.

Sorry about your misbehaving cat, I feel your pain. On a practical note we used slightly flexible rubber door stops to wedge under sliding doors to stop our cat opening them - he was hiding in the closet a lot when we were trying to get him more confident around us, they did the job well. Other things we've used are child locks and scat mats to stop cats being where they shouldn't/we don't want them.

Would agree that active chasing of a scared kitty probably isn't going to do much about their naughtiness except add 'scared of you' to the problem.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
We give ours time-outs too, if nothing else it does seem to function well as a cool-down period for both parties. The smart one likes doing stuff she KNOWS she's not allowed to do to get our attention, like a goddamn toddler, literally never touches the houseplants unless she's throwing a pre-dinner tantrum.

Mostly we just learned to put away easy targets/food higher up or in more secure storage. I saw her attempting to use door-handles again recently, lol, thank god she doesn't have thumbs or she'd be unstoppable.

edit:

caught the little poo poo in action

InvisibleMonkey fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 11, 2021

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

InvisibleMonkey posted:

We give ours time-outs too, if nothing else it does seem to function well as a cool-down period for both parties. The smart one likes doing stuff she KNOWS she's not allowed to do to get our attention, like a goddamn toddler, literally never touches the houseplants unless she's throwing a pre-dinner tantrum.

Mostly we just learned to put away easy targets/food higher up or in more secure storage. I saw her attempting to use door-handles again recently, lol, thank god she doesn't have thumbs or she'd be unstoppable.

edit:

caught the little poo poo in action

https://i.imgur.com/ecTkVcj.mp4

no timg or img tags for videos, just url.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boogalo posted:

It actually embedded perfectly in the awful app and auto played on a loop.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah you can't discipline a cat, they will just like you less and keep doing the thing you don't want them to do anyway. The cat response to "that person/cat is mad at me" is "I'll come back later when they aren't mad" not "I better stop doing whatever made them mad".

Either make it so your cat can't do the thing you don't like, or make it so that it's not a fun thing to do independent of anything you do. This is why something like sssscat can work, they see it as "if I jump up here a scary noise happens so it's a bad place to jump" rather than "if I jump up here my human yells at me".

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Organza Quiz posted:

Yeah you can't discipline a cat, they will just like you less and keep doing the thing you don't want them to do anyway. The cat response to "that person/cat is mad at me" is "I'll come back later when they aren't mad" not "I better stop doing whatever made them mad".

Either make it so your cat can't do the thing you don't like, or make it so that it's not a fun thing to do independent of anything you do. This is why something like sssscat can work, they see it as "if I jump up here a scary noise happens so it's a bad place to jump" rather than "if I jump up here my human yells at me".

Yeah, this.

If they're scratching where you don't like, you put a scratching post there and put something to dissuade them on the other. If they're going somewhere you don't like, you put stuff like double-sided tape or aluminum foil so it's unpleasant to be around, not make them afraid of you. Cats are predators but they're also potential prey animals, and threats are interpreted as "this thing will kill me" and not "I guess I shouldn't do that"

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Cats are also arseholes and even if they aren't scared they are used to friends randomly getting annoyed. To use my cats as an example, if Peridot lies too close to Pepper and gets bitten and wrestled off the couch, she will go away for a few minutes but then often come right back and lie on the couch near her again, and Pepper will often be more resigned to it at that point and not be bothered to wrestle her away again. This has played out over years and has not stopped her from doing it at all.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Good shelter news - looks like one, maybe two, of my guys are finally finding homes very soon. Always sad to not get to see them again but at least they're happier in new homes.

Jasper is still sick and doing worse than last week's significant uptick. But he was willing to run right up to a stranger and jump in their lap, which is a first... ever, for him, so I'm calling it a wash. Keeping an eye on the poor boy and brushing out where his fur is clumping up a bit. Hopefully he bounces back again.
He has such a sweet face.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Thanks everyone for the info on reducing unwanted behavior -- my 5 year old, Molly, chose tonight to be very curious about the top of a bookshelf where we keep some fragile items. She got some time in the bathroom to chill while we moved in a bell that'll make a racket if she gets up there again.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Boogalo posted:

looks fine to me?

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Win a cake for the motherland.

WhatEvil posted:

The most recent time was this morning at 6:45am. He was in the cupboard again trying to get at his food. We have these lovely closets with sliding doors and I've yet to work out how to stop him getting in there.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W1C5Z76/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I had the same problem until I bought these. One of my cats liked to use the closet as a private toilet and it was driving me insane. Can't get in now, can ya, fuckface?!

He also loves pissing on my modem. "Hey, ATT? Yeah, your modem is broke again. Weird, I know, I know. Maybe make them better? Terrible quality control... Anyway, when can you bring me a new one??" *furiously cleans piss off the equipment*

:angel:

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

My cat has developed a hobby of licking the end of her tail for a long, long time. The same place for ten minutes or more. Is this a cat psychological problem, like nailbiting for people? What does it meeeeean

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Over-grooming can be a sign of stress, boredom, allergies, or a hundred other things. It's usually not a big deal until they start licking themselves bald, but it's something to keep an eye on.

Re: Cat Behavior posts upthread- yeah redirection is key. If you don't want them somewhere you have to make it either physically inaccessible (child locks for drawers and cupboards) scary to do independent of your presence (sscat) or offer a more enticing alternative (like scratcher near the delicate furniture or a cat tree that has a view of that area of the home.)

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

pidan posted:

My cat has developed a hobby of licking the end of her tail for a long, long time. The same place for ten minutes or more. Is this a cat psychological problem, like nailbiting for people? What does it meeeeean

Someone in the yospos thread has/had a scorpion cat who used to lick her tail into a point at all times. It might be an anxiety/obsessive thing but not necessarily harmful in and of itself.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

InvisibleMonkey posted:

looks fine to me?

Then the app has some tricks the forums do not. It wouldn't display in the web version.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Boogalo posted:

Then the app has some tricks the forums do not. It wouldn't display in the web version.

I posted it on web, I think your browser might have issues with html5 or whatever imgur uses. v:shobon:v

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

This is your cat on drugs

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Looks more like drugs on your cat.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Has anyone had the unfortunate experience of managing a cat with fibrosarcoma tumors? As previously mentioned my cat Wiggles is dying from it and is too old for surgery to be a viable option. When the mass gets too large I take her in to the vet to get it drained. It's gone from being a once-a-month trip to now I'm thinking will need to be done weekly. Today they drained 66 mL from her leg and it's just a horrifying experience. What's left now looks extremely red and angry and I'm waiting to hear back if antibiotics are needed for the inflammation. I give her gabapentin daily for the pain but I'm not sure what else to do. Her appetite varies, usually depending on how big the mass has gotten.

Just a slow, painful decline. It's all probably the result of a rabies vaccine years ago and supposedly the formula has since been changed to lower the risk of these things in cats. I hope I never have to deal with this ever again.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

My room mates got this cutie. She's been here for 3 days and she already comes and rubs on me when I walk by. She is so sweet.

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.
Found some old old old dee eight catnip in a drawer.

https://youtube.com/shorts/zsbC2hxLgSM?feature=share

I think it's still good. (This was after ten minutes of crazy)

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
The struggle to find a food my cat will tolerate long term continues. Basically every 6 months she starts to dropp off on eating a food, she will go from her full ration to roughly eating half of her daily intake, ignoring the rest. She will not respond to fresh food she just ignores it after a while. But when this happens I just introduce a new food, she loves it, devours it, even gorges on it. But in 6 months she goes back to to bleh. Shes mostly been on Blue Buffalo/Wellness brand. Specifically her appetite for the food diminishes, not her actual hunger as her consumption of tahini sauce continues.

I think I have a solution. The last food I got her was primarily fish, herring, tuna, whitefish etc. It was part of a new production batch and it was very wet and drippy, and now 3 months later its congealed in can. My cats appetite for it is begining to wane. Im going to try pouring some anchovy/sardine oil on her dinner tonight to see if that triggers her. Are there any suggestsions for types of oil, what to get? Can I just throw down one small fillet with her can of food daily?

Gaj fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 14, 2021

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Blue Buffalo contracts their production out to 3rd parties, that's why it seems like every batch is different... because it is.

Stay away from any pet food company that doesn't make their own products, imo. They tend to have the highest safety recall rates.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

owls or something posted:

Blue Buffalo contracts their production out to 3rd parties, that's why it seems like every batch is different... because it is.

Stay away from any pet food company that doesn't make their own products, imo. They tend to have the highest safety recall rates.

What brands don’t do that then?

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Purina makes their own products in the US. Hasn't let me down. I dislike Nestle (worked for them), but they make a consistent product and I know they're strict and organized about QA in the factories. They also have the money to destroy a failed batch without worrying about financial loss to megacorp. They like to avoid bad press more than lost money. Can't say some of the smaller brands wouldn't roll the dice to avoid taking a loss for a bad production run.

edit: but, I dunno I'm not like an expert so who knows

owls or something fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 14, 2021

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Thread is very large, I'm sorry if I've missed it:

I've started buying whole chickens to make my lunches from. So now I have these chicken hearts and livers and necks. Can those be used as a treat for my cat? Does anyone have experience with this, or a good resource to learn about it? I've just got them in the freezer for the time being.

- Age 11
- Sex Male
- How long have you had your cat? 8yrs
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? Yes
- What food do you use? Mostly "Orijen" dry food. Occasional "Tiki Cat" canned food (once a week, split into two meals?).
- When was your last vet visit? Apr 12, 2021
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Indoors only
- How many pets in your household? 1- him
- How many litter boxes do you have? 1

And here's the boy:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i got my younger cat spayed yesterday and since bringing her home, my senior cat has been growling, hissing and batting at her. i immediately separated them when i saw this and have tried to reintroduce them through a cracked door, tried to have them eat on different sides of a closed door, but nothing works. the younger cat has no goddamn idea what's going on, they were best buds before.

the hell do i do? will this just go away or do i need to essentially re-introduce the two of them over the span of a couple weeks?

i just want them to be friends again :(

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i got my younger cat spayed yesterday and since bringing her home, my senior cat has been growling, hissing and batting at her. i immediately separated them when i saw this and have tried to reintroduce them through a cracked door, tried to have them eat on different sides of a closed door, but nothing works. the younger cat has no goddamn idea what's going on, they were best buds before.

the hell do i do? will this just go away or do i need to essentially re-introduce the two of them over the span of a couple weeks?

i just want them to be friends again :(

The younger cat probably smells weird and the older cat is confused as to what is going on.

Give a few days and things should return to normal.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

It's probably just the smell of the vet and will pass -- it's pretty common for cats to freak out when another cat comes home from the vet smelling weird.

E:f,b -- but yeah, give it a few days.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I had good results from grabbing an unwashed work shirt and rubbing it all over the vetted cat. Logic was that it would help mask vet-smell with me-smell and chill the other cat out, and it definitely seemed to help. Didn't stop the spatting 100%, but cut what was usually a week-long affair down to like a day and a half. Since then, I've also started keeping hand towels in the cats' beds, and will scrub Cat A with Cat B's towel first thing after they get back from the vet, which works even better.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Captain Lavender posted:

Thread is very large, I'm sorry if I've missed it:

I've started buying whole chickens to make my lunches from. So now I have these chicken hearts and livers and necks. Can those be used as a treat for my cat? Does anyone have experience with this, or a good resource to learn about it? I've just got them in the freezer for the time being.

Yep those are great cat treats! Chicken necks in particular are good for their teeth because they have to really munch them. The biggest problem is likely to be convincing the cat that it's edible, some don't realise it.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
i feed my cat raw chicken bits from time to time. one loves the necks and wing tips. the other waits for the canned stuff.

bones should be raw and not cooked. cooked bones splinter and can do some damage to the GI tract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We came home to find he'd tucked himself in