Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
This is kind of a long shot but would anyone have a GM/GM kit they'd be willing to part with? I scuffed the backpack of mine in my current build and need to replace it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Carteret posted:

Are those ladies kits or figures? Because drat, if those aren't painted they may be the first kit I buy that isn't a robit

If they are model kits, are they using the tech from the figure-rise labo series? I thought that was cool but a bit skeezy.

Also: I just got a metallic green marker pen and am trying out using it instead of the eye camera stickers. It doesn't seem very shiny over black plastic. Do I need to use a white marker to put something under it first?

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 7, 2021

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Jesus I spent 40 minutes looking around my model room thinking that I lost a piece for the sinanju stein skirt, only to discover that it was simply hiding behind another part in my ziploc bag where I put all my painted white pieces.

I can be a real idiot sometimes.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Lost pieces are bastards and always show up in the dumbest places.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Without fail. I was moving option parts around and heard myself knock my clear GM visor piece - arguably one of the most important parts of the entire thing - off to the side ~somewhere~

Cue me on hands and knees with my flashlight out sifting through my carpet only to discover thirty minutes later it had gracefully fallen right to the side of where it was onto some boxes and not into the floor.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

This is why I do my assembly on a rug, already on the floor.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Look I've got some Tony Stark rear end table with shelves and this big swivel light that has a magnifying lens I never use and by god I'm going to make the most of it

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Metal tabletop and hardwood floors.

Parts end up across the room sometimes.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I had one of the Efreet Schneid's blades fly off an alligator clip to nowhere. I spent an hour searching for it, even clearing off my work table. I found it a week later after it materialized under the foam block the clip was in, even though I looked there several times before.

Another time, a tiny marking sticker for a GM spontaneously flew off my tweezers. I found it the next morning in my hair near the back of my head. I applied it to the kit.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

When I was making my RG Exia, one of the hologram leg pieces went on a mysterious journey.
If you're not familiar, the kit has a bunch of hologram spots that are created with a reflective sticker covered by a translucent hologram plastic piece. It's really a cool design, the pieces have little slots that fit over hooks on the model. You have to bend them over to hook them and while I was doing so, the piece went PLINK and disappeared.
I looked EVERYWHERE in the room. Moved every unmade kit, checked every bookshelf, crawled around on the floor with a flashlight. It wasn't there.
A week later I spotted something shiny on the bath mat. It was the hologram piece. Somehow it moved out of the room, down the hallway and into the bathroom.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I lost the head gem of the Origin Gundam NA type in the carpet of my office. Twice.

I had to vacuum the area and sift through to find it both times. Kind of hate that kit.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Skrillmub posted:

When I was making my RG Exia, one of the hologram leg pieces went on a mysterious journey.
If you're not familiar, the kit has a bunch of hologram spots that are created with a reflective sticker covered by a translucent hologram plastic piece. It's really a cool design, the pieces have little slots that fit over hooks on the model. You have to bend them over to hook them and while I was doing so, the piece went PLINK and disappeared.
I looked EVERYWHERE in the room. Moved every unmade kit, checked every bookshelf, crawled around on the floor with a flashlight. It wasn't there.
A week later I spotted something shiny on the bath mat. It was the hologram piece. Somehow it moved out of the room, down the hallway and into the bathroom.

I had the same thing happen to me!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
The head fin came off my RG Exia and I never found it :(

It's such a cool kit :(

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Tired of my usual plastic addictions I went to the local hobby store and brought home a 30MM and a RG ZakuII. Then I had my mind blown.

Anyway, if I'm gonna use Tamiya Panel Liner on an unpainted kit should I varnish it first or will it stand up to white spirits?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ugh, I realized I bought fine tip paint markers instead of chisel tip ones. Feels like it's impossible to get good coverage of a surface with these.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

wdarkk posted:

If they are model kits, are they using the tech from the figure-rise labo series? I thought that was cool but a bit skeezy.

Also: I just got a metallic green marker pen and am trying out using it instead of the eye camera stickers. It doesn't seem very shiny over black plastic. Do I need to use a white marker to put something under it first?

Depends on the pen and the shade of black. Something I've done in the past is spray tamiya silver leaf over first and marker green afterwards.

MyushiVerSCOOTY
Jan 22, 2004

DiHK posted:

Tired of my usual plastic addictions I went to the local hobby store and brought home a 30MM and a RG ZakuII. Then I had my mind blown.

Anyway, if I'm gonna use Tamiya Panel Liner on an unpainted kit should I varnish it first or will it stand up to white spirits?

If you are careful you can get by without a varnish, but I wouldn't risk it. Snap fit joints are under pressure from the interference fit of the parts, and are very prone to cracking if weakened by enamel solvents. Even if you do varnish be careful not to splash more liner on there than you need.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Girl Gun Lady is now being subbed

https://renshuusubs.wordpress.com/

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I made a tiny plane with tiny arms. :3:

One of these days I may even get around to painting it or putting the waterslides on..

Marx Headroom posted:

The head fin came off my RG Exia and I never found it :(

It's such a cool kit :(

I don't suppose you kept any of the spare parts/runners, did you? RG Exia actually has a couple spare parts on runner E, including the v-fin. If not, I could maybe mail you one.

Burns
May 10, 2008

DiHK posted:

Do not use tamiya panel liner on gunpla models. It seems to be okay on bigger pieces but def avoid it on anything intricate (like rg body frames. Ive had all kinds of damage to models because of it. Also avoid pour type panels liners where several pieces converge (like for example the wing gundam's head fins).

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Can anyone help me, I'm looking for references for mecha designs where:

-Mecha
-With Wings
-That are also Guns (Beam rifles preferred, but if somehow it's a regular gun I'll take a look).

Does anyone have anything that resembles this?

e: Specifically they have wings that provides powered flight but also use them offencively.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

-Mecha
-With Wings
-That are also Guns (Beam rifles preferred, but if somehow it's a regular gun I'll take a look).

Where the Wings are guns?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Gaius Marius posted:

Where the Wings are guns?

Yes, the wings are guns.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
The Freedom and Strike Freedom basically do that. From Gundam SEED.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ptera from Zoids as well, I feel like there's a Wing MSV I'm missing that fits perfectly whought

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Raenir Salazar posted:

-Mecha
-With Wings

e: Specifically they have wings that provides powered flight but also use them offencively.

Wings are swords is easier.

Hi-Nu and Nu-Zeon both have wings made of bits that can fire, but usually don't when they're attached

Astray Double Rebake has sort of cloak wing things that become rifles.

The Gaeon has wings that are beam sabers but if you're doing your own thing they could shoot beams instead

It's not a mecha but I just beat Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate yesterday so I have to shout out the Valstrax, which has the wings you want. It can shoot energy from it's wings to propel itself really fast or as an attack.

overlordbunny
Feb 16, 2011

Gundam Bael's wings are railguns.

Tsubasa2004
Feb 14, 2003

wdarkk posted:

1999.co.jp has posted the guts of one of the kits, and the answer is no. Looks like the eyes and a lot of details are stickers, and the skin is single-tone plastic.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
F91's VSBRs always looked to me like they were meant to be folded wings... Plus add in the shoulder radiator fins

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Tsubasa2004 posted:

1999.co.jp has posted the guts of one of the kits, and the answer is no. Looks like the eyes and a lot of details are stickers, and the skin is single-tone plastic.

That sticker sheet looks SD-level.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The sheer amount of stickers on that kit is pretty disappointing. Bummer

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tsubasa2004 posted:

I really don't want to know where that round magazine goes, do I.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I do like the weird hip joints though. It feels like they're really trying different things with hip joints on these, they're totally different than the ones they used on the Mobile Dolls, although maybe they used it on other figures and I just don't buy those.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Burns posted:

Do not use tamiya panel liner on gunpla models. It seems to be okay on bigger pieces but def avoid it on anything intricate (like rg body frames. Ive had all kinds of damage to models because of it. Also avoid pour type panels liners where several pieces converge (like for example the wing gundam's head fins).

I'm not putting anything on thr body frame, really just the larger panels. I have some other simpler kits to gently caress up before I do the nice one.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Hey all, first time posting in this tread and I would like to get you guys' opinions on something.

I got into gunpla building late 2019. At the moment I've only got half a dozen models built, mostly from the Digimon Amplified series. While they are fun to build, I decided that if I was going to continue the hobby I needed to get my own set of tools.

Just yesterday, I picked up a set of Klein Tool flush cutters and a hobby knife from a hardware store. Before that, I'd just been using what other people in my house had on hand so I can't tell you what brand they were. Before buying the hobby knife I tried to sand nubs down but it never really worked out the way I wanted it to.

Are the brand of cutters I picked up sufficient or should I have found a set specifically for gunpla? Also, do you guys have any tips for using a hobby knife to get rid of nubs? I don't want to cut myself on my first attempt. I did see a video where someone used a chisel head instead of the standard angled blade. Would that be an okay method.

Sorry if this got wordy, I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to make this new hobby something worthwhile.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Sinanju's thruster pack with the fuel pods are big and stylish enough to pass as wings.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Balache404 posted:

Hey all, first time posting in this tread and I would like to get you guys' opinions on something.

I got into gunpla building late 2019. At the moment I've only got half a dozen models built, mostly from the Digimon Amplified series. While they are fun to build, I decided that if I was going to continue the hobby I needed to get my own set of tools.

Just yesterday, I picked up a set of Klein Tool flush cutters and a hobby knife from a hardware store. Before that, I'd just been using what other people in my house had on hand so I can't tell you what brand they were. Before buying the hobby knife I tried to sand nubs down but it never really worked out the way I wanted it to.

Are the brand of cutters I picked up sufficient or should I have found a set specifically for gunpla? Also, do you guys have any tips for using a hobby knife to get rid of nubs? I don't want to cut myself on my first attempt. I did see a video where someone used a chisel head instead of the standard angled blade. Would that be an okay method.

Sorry if this got wordy, I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to make this new hobby something worthwhile.

When you use a knife, you want to shave down the nub slowly, not just cut it off at the edge of the piece. You'll get much cleaner pieces and much fewer white marks. It can be trying to go so slowly but you'll appreciate the results way more.
If you're ever feeling like you need to apply a lot of pressure, stop immediately. 9 times out of 10 you'll cut the piece and continue on to cut anything in the way (like your hand). If it's hard, shave less or replace your blade.
Never, ever dig. Always angle the blade up if you can. If you angle the blade down you'll gouge the piece.
If you're not happy with the results of cutting off a nub, trying rubbing it with your nail. This will often be enough to smooth it out.
Get some practice with simpler kits before you move up to something with tiny pieces. It can be really challenging to remove nubs from tiny little pieces with a knife without cutting yourself.
Don't expect perfectly clean pieces. It takes a lot of practice to get good, and even then you'll see the spot if you're looking for it.

I'm not familiar with that brand of cutter, but I can say that on my first model I used metal snips and found them way worse than ones made for plastic. They mention zip ties on the manufacturer page, so they might be fine.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Burns posted:

Tamiya works fine if you paint your kits but yeah don't use them on bare plastic

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
I still kind of can't believe the thumbnail thing works, but it absolutely does. "Strong thumbnail" should be on every list of recommended tools for new builders (although it'd be a bit awkward to package in one of those quick-start kits).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Balache404 posted:

For removing nubs I use this. Just cut once to remove the piece from the runner, once to get almost all of the nub (Price is Right rules, get as much as you can without getting all of it), then a few rubs of this until it's gone. It can get a little trickier if the nub is in a place where I can't get the stick in, or if it's on a concave surface; usually I try to deal with those using the very corner of the file.