Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Cannon_Fodder posted:

For the uninitiated, what is the deal with this bike?

I'm out of the loop but want some nerd talk

A hand made steel bike that would have been top of the line at the time. Because the dropouts have holes for the Portacatena, it was probably boxed up about 45 years ago.

Crazy rare to find.

I once answered an ad on Craigslist from a guy who was looking to trade a bike he had for a Cinelli Supercorsa. I didn't have a Cinelli Supercorsa but I was interested to see what he was offering up for trade and maybe I could just buy it off him.

It turned out his English was pretty poor and he in fact had 3 Cinelli Supercorsas and he was looking to sell!

I immediately met up with him at his storage unit and it was like entering Alladin's cave----he had owned a bike shop in the '70s and '80s and had a lot of bikes.

He showed me some Colnagos and a couple of French bikes and of course his Cinellis but he only had 2, so I asked where the third one was and he pulled out a box and it was a NOS silver one from 1985 that was still in the wrapping paper, never built up, never even had a wheel in the drops.

I bought it and a couple of other things, including an old Campagnolo workstand from the 1960s that is completely useless but is kind of neat to look at

I would have bought everything but I just didn't have the money at the time

I still haven't built it up, lol

Sorry about the photobucket, I can't find any other pictures of it right now

jet sanchEz fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

:eyepop:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
You know, for such a flashy brand, their work stand is very matte and nondescript.

Sick find though. There's a nice campy floating around the metro detroit craigslist and it's a good looking bike but not my size. :confuoot:

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Hey!

Enter this contest!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3964819

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
New bike day !
Looking fast but it’s not going to last as it will soon receive mudguards and a rack.
Those tires are terribly slow compared to my road bike , but they make bike itself is much more comfy despite it being full aluminium.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Krogort posted:

New bike day !
Looking fast but it’s not going to last as it will soon receive mudguards and a rack.
Those tires are terribly slow compared to my road bike , but they make bike itself is much more comfy despite it being full aluminium.

I was busy looking at the frame, I didn't notice the drive train!

That thing is pretty cool! What gearing is available to you through that?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I was busy looking at the frame, I didn't notice the drive train!

That thing is pretty cool! What gearing is available to you through that?

It has 46 front 22 rear and the hub is a 8 speed Shimano Alfine https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/alfine-s7000s700/SG-S7001-8.html
Shifting is good and the hub ratio are 0.527 to 1.615 so it's a rather large gap between gears.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 13, 2021

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Krogort posted:

New bike day !

YESSSSSSSSSSSS. I rode something similar in the Netherlands (flat bar, short reach road bike with a belt and IGH) and it loving owns for cruising around.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Cannon_Fodder posted:

You know, for such a flashy brand, their work stand is very matte and nondescript.

Sick find though. There's a nice campy floating around the metro detroit craigslist and it's a good looking bike but not my size. :confuoot:

I think the workstand is from the 1960s and would probably only have been sold to shops so it didn't really need to look great. I also believe that it has been painted from it's original colour.

Cinelli, Fatties Fit Fine

Here is that 1973 Cinelli I posted before, finally sorted out, minus the pedals, obviously.

It was "leaning against a shed in Sudbury, Ontario for many years" according to the seller. Luckily, everything was well-greased and nothing was seized except the seat-post clamp.

The brake hood is a re-production campy hood and ripped within when I was putting on the bartape.

The stem is super fugly but the frame is too big for me and this was the shortest stem I had on hand.

Wheels are these black Phil Wood hubs that are 130mm but oddly take a threaded freewheel (?) laced to Mavic Open Sports that I found on CL

I am kind of enjoying it for cruising, I am going for a French fit gravel-grinder kind of thing

I wil to try to get some old Honjo fenders on there but I may have to change the tires out from 32s to 28s (I love the green with the gold, anyone know of a 28mm green gumwall tire, I don't think Panaracer makes GKs that thin)

jet sanchEz fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 14, 2021

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
That Cinelli looks lovely and it's gonna be even better with Honjos. Too big is of course too big but I think you already have a lot of seatpost showing for 70s standards.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

all frames should go back to this shape aero be damned

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
my mate just got his new Panasonic steel frame built up. the paint is unreallllll

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

What the gently caress

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
:eyepop:
must know more

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

This bike demands pictures taken in the sun

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
IME, the rainbow flake effect is lessened when the light source isn't parallel with the viewpoint.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Fruita was a blast, until it rained.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Got the matching bar tape on there now, not perfect but it's tight. Shortly before this photo was taken, I managed to snap the rear shifter lever off of the bracket. At least it won't bother me anymore :(

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

That’s just an invitation to put on some bar end shifters.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 17, 2021

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I did come across those while looking for replacements, but they actually cost more than the bike did. My brother has a box of spare parts and found some spare levers, so that's the route I'm going for now

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Found the best bike rack.
Prove me wrong.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

bicievino posted:

Found the best bike rack.
Prove me wrong.

Ok: the trivially better bike rack is that one with a fish bike attached to it.

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

I got an old Sekine ten-speed back in the fall, and I've been slowly upgrading it over the winter as a way to practice doing my own maintenance and have something with more sex appeal than my hybrid commuter. After much searching, I tracked down a Sekine-branded chromed spoke protector/ dork disc off a fella in Owen Sound last month, and after some hassle sourcing the proper freewheel remover tool I've finally got it on the bike. I'm not generally too fussy about keeping things period-correct, but for a dork disc it's just too rad to leave off. Took it out for a little ride over lunch today and found a pretty good wall:

dieselfruit fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 18, 2021

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

If you need any more Sekine stuff a couple of us are from MB where they're everywhere due to the plant that used to be located here. Those spoke protectors are indeed very slick.

There are a lot of other accessories you could get them with too.

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

That thing slaps.

Good to know. The brand pops up often enough here in the six, but mostly the more entry level models and mostly in poor condition. The local ride or die is Miele, which has mostly kept its value by comparison.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Coxswain Balls posted:

If you need any more Sekine stuff a couple of us are from MB where they're everywhere due to the plant that used to be located here. Those spoke protectors are indeed very slick.

That is the bike I want when I'm 80. I'm going to ride around the neighborhood and listen to CJOB.

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Scored this barely used 2010 bike with mixed tiagra and 105 parts for 210 usd

Really tempted to go ham on ordering chinese carbon parts from aliexpress right now :V

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Look at this dumb fun junker I just bought:

I'm fairly certain this is a Pure cycles fix that came in black and got rattlecanned blue. That makes it heavy-rear end hi-tensile steel.
Not pictured: the kickstand, bent narrow risers, and barely functional ancient no-brand center pull brakes that came on it. I had to slap some drops on it to ride it around the block a few times before I tear it apart.

It's snowing again now, which will make it easier to take it apart before I'm tempted to ride it again. In addition to cleaning up/re-greasing/replacing bearings my current plan is to strip the paint, blue the steel, and clearcoat over it a la the OldShovel youtube channel. I kinda want to give it a goofy name to mask off first and have show through raw. I'm open to suggestions on what that should be.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 21, 2021

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Frianchi
Pizza Ship
[Pb] u jelly?

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Me again.

I did something like 30km on it today (E&N/Goose loop, for the locals). No bibs, unpadded carbon saddle, 17cm of saddle to bar drop. And it was pretty good? Shockingly so, almost comfortable. It also has a no electronics rule so it will never appear on Strava.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

compressioncut posted:

It also has a no electronics rule so it will never appear on Strava.
You have a lovely bike. I like those pictures.

But, swinging the other way on your no-electronics rule: POST YOUR HANDLEBARS
Bike accessories by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The finest selection of cheap tat KMart, BigW, and ALDI can supply (also Amazon)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Left to right:
- cross lever
- Gravity dropper switch
- extension mount
- uhh... loop of brake cable cuz I couldn't route from the cross lever down to the cable hanger
- flat bar Alfine IGH shifter filed out to fit into 23.8mm bar
- cross lever

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

compressioncut posted:

Me again.

I did something like 30km on it today (E&N/Goose loop, for the locals). No bibs, unpadded carbon saddle, 17cm of saddle to bar drop. And it was pretty good? Shockingly so, almost comfortable. It also has a no electronics rule so it will never appear on Strava.

That is cool and good. Very nice bike, very aesthetic, no electronics is a cool rule.

kimbo305 posted:

Left to right:
- cross lever
- Gravity dropper switch
- extension mount
- uhh... loop of brake cable cuz I couldn't route from the cross lever down to the cable hanger
- flat bar Alfine IGH shifter filed out to fit into 23.8mm bar
- cross lever

This is also very nice.

I kind of want both of those bikes.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Coxswain Balls posted:

I love these, there was this weird period in Japanese city bikes where the trend was to put every conceivable gadget you could think of on the thing, weight be damned, but I don't remember any getting exported here.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I saw a super nice panasonic randonneur bike a few years ago at NAHBS:

https://theradavist.com/2018/02/2018-nahbs-panasonic-randonneur-with-shimano-ultegra/

They make some really cool stuff.

Super jealous of that Motobecane . What an excellent find. Same with the Cinelli.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Shadowhand00 posted:

I saw a super nice panasonic randonneur bike a few years ago at NAHBS:

https://theradavist.com/2018/02/2018-nahbs-panasonic-randonneur-with-shimano-ultegra/

That's cool but that 60 year old flashlight next to di2 is quite jarring.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ran into someone riding a hand built titanium MTB with a one of a kind suspension fork based off of something he saw on a motorcycle or something. It was wild.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Is that an old suspension seat post too? Hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

EvilJoven posted:

Ran into someone riding a hand built titanium MTB with a one of a kind suspension fork based off of something he saw on a motorcycle or something. It was wild.

I have no idea how that would ride but i would be 100% up for trying.