Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I miss Kwan's for American-Chinese food, and apparently they closed down for good. :(

Yeah Kwan passed away and without him there wasn't anyone willing to keep it going.
Oh top of page: Fruits belongs on pizza. Olives, Pineapples, Tomatoes they're all fruits and they all belong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm sure they also make fun of the French for their brioche as well. Sugar in bread is forbidden! The French have no idea what they're doing with their bread!

You don't put sugar in a standard brioche either.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

So this is what patriotism feels like :911:

Patriotism is stored in the arterial plaques

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Catpain Slack posted:

You don't put sugar in a standard brioche either.

I've made quite a few different brioche recipes and they all call for at least a little sugar :shrug: I'm trying to find one without sugar right now, but from King Arthur, to the French Culinary Institute, to Julia Child, to some random French language recipe blogs, I'm seeing sugar in every recipe.

Edit: found one. Looks like the Culinary Institute of America's text doesn't have sugar in the brioche.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

The America's Test Kitchen's recipe for American sandwich bread calls for honey and it's absolutely my favourite bread to bake, no shame.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Data Graham posted:

Ha, that makes sense. I always sort of wondered in what way a style of cooking centered on an always-on, heavily-built griddle was rooted in nomadic camp cuisine

Yeah, actual Mongolian cuisine is basically unseasoned mutton and dairy products that bear little or no resemblance to anything Western people traditionally do with milk. I think my favorite dish when I went there was a very weak milky green tea served with mutton dumplings and chunks of mutton floating in it. Fermented mare's milk isn't as bad as it sounds, sort of a mildly alcoholic, fizzy yogurt.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Schubalts posted:

What is with the Eurogoons acting like a table or teaspoon of sugar makes an entire loaf of bread inedibly sweet? The majority of it is meant to be consumed by the yeast, anyway, to help it rise faster. The only breads with an actual large amount of taste influencing sugar are actual sweet breads, same as everywhere else. Even that Hostess (maker of Twinkies) loaf is only 1gram of sugar per slice.
Industrial yeast handling does not need additional yeast fuel. Its a fun story they tell to distract from the real reasons they are adding sugar: preservation, softening, and making it brown easily in the toaster.

Not liking soft/brown easily is my main reason for preferring home made/that TJs loaf. It takes barely any added sugar to make such a sandwich loaf and is how they can explain around it by saying "we're just proofing like a home baker!".

Good bread should be a jaw workout, and if you over toast it it should shred your mouth like Capt Crunch. Again I'll eat a sandwich loaf recipe no problem, just not my favorite.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
the main problem with sugar in bread is it might make it actually taste good, which is against proper euro smugness standards

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I recommend doing away with all the gross, tasteless flour, yeast, salt, and other ingredients altogether, and simply eating pure sugar for maximum deliciousness.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

steinrokkan posted:

I recommend doing away with all the gross, tasteless flour, yeast, salt, and other ingredients altogether, and simply eating pure sugar for maximum deliciousness.

Don't be silly. Those other ingredients are necessary to make it painful it eat

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Dave’s Killer Bread was a good supermarket bread for sandwiches back when I could still eat regular bread.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Aardvark! posted:

the main problem with sugar in bread is it might make it actually taste good, which is against proper euro smugness standards

So I went around looking up bread in Germany, and not surprising, they take it very seriously.

In fact, their word for supper is apparently "abendbrot" which means "evening bread" in literal translation, which I think is an interesting axis power cultural equivalent to Japan, where breakfast lunch and dinner are lit. "morning rice, afternoon rice, evening rice"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Perhaps,,, more than one kind of bread is good

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

AlbieQuirky posted:

Dave’s Killer Bread was a good supermarket bread for sandwiches back when I could still eat regular bread.

Yeah that's a solid loaf

Cheesecake Factory makes these baguette rye breads that I love with this Turkish lentil soup recipe :yum:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I am an unapologetic bread centrist. Everybody should be able to eat the bread they love and learn more about what makes their bread the way they love it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The only bread I've refused to eat was the two no knead loaves I tried to make at the start of the pandemic that didn't rise at all

And even then I ate half of the first one and 1/4 of the second

Although olive loaf can fuuuuuuck right off, olives are the devil's testicles and I'll have no part of that heathenry!

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Johnny Truant posted:

The only bread I've refused to eat was the two no knead loaves I tried to make at the start of the pandemic that didn't rise at all

Although olive loaf can fuuuuuuck right off, olives are the devil's testicles and I'll have no part of that heathenry!

I made a herbed and salted no-knead bread that tasted exactly like Milk-Bones and we don't need to discuss how I know what Milk-Bones taste like but I ate that whole loaf and made another one before someone stopped me.

...IT'S JUST HARDTACK WHAT?!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh man, get me a nice olive loaf with a good crust sprinkled in flaky sea salt, nice lentil or split pea soup, and I'll eat so much olive loaf.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Olive loaf is fine but it's disappointing when it's the only bread in the house.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The worst "bread" I had was the first loaf I tried to bake when I not only mixed up the measurements for salt and sugar, I read it wrong and used tablespoons instead of teaspoons of it. It was incredibly flat and painfully salty, like if you took a saltine cracker, made it chewier and then put a mound of salt on top of it.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I find it telling that the Japanese adopted fried food and sweet white bread from the Portuguese and absolutely nothing else (I'm sure this is not true)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they took schnitzels and demiglace from the germans and french via the dutch, too

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The problem I have with sweet bread is that it can be too much of a flavor and distract from the filling of a sandwich. It can still be good for toast though.

I don't remember like Subway's bread being sweet at all though, so I think Europe is just being crazy.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

No one is putting yeast in bread without adding some sort of sweetener for the yeast to eat. That's what makes dough rise. The sweetness comes from there being more sweetener for a recipe than what gets consumed by the yeast during the rise.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Schubalts posted:

What is with the Eurogoons acting like a table or teaspoon of sugar makes an entire loaf of bread inedibly sweet? The majority of it is meant to be consumed by the yeast, anyway, to help it rise faster. The only breads with an actual large amount of taste influencing sugar are actual sweet breads, same as everywhere else. Even that Hostess (maker of Twinkies) loaf is only 1gram of sugar per slice.

It's pretty weird. But it's easy to get strange impressions when you don't spend any time in a place. A lot of Europeans also think Kraft singles are the only cheese in the US or Hershey's is the only chocolate, too. Equivalent to if an American genuinely thinks UK food is just boiled meat or whatever. The only difference is it seems like that is usually a joke, while Europeans seem to really believe the US doesn't have bakeries or whatever.

One of the strangest ones is I guess a lot of Brits and Australians think they're the only places in the world with kettles?

Grand Fromage has a new favorite as of 19:11 on Apr 11, 2021

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

There's many kinds of Swedish rye bread and rye blends that are sweetened with molasses and often flavored with aniseed and fennel. It's pretty great.

There are some supermarket breads that are very sweet, and the Norwegians are super smug about "that terrible sweet Swedish bread".

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Empty Sandwich posted:

I find it telling that the Japanese adopted fried food and sweet white bread from the Portuguese and absolutely nothing else (I'm sure this is not true)

Well they took guns as well

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

axolotl farmer posted:

There's many kinds of Swedish rye bread and rye blends that are sweetened with molasses and often flavored with aniseed and fennel. It's pretty great.

There are some supermarket breads that are very sweet, and the Norwegians are super smug about "that terrible sweet Swedish bread".

To be clear the generic Wonderbread poo poo in the US is bad. But any grocery store has like, fifty types of packaged bread and almost always has an in-house bakery that produces fresh stuff. Also they often sell parbaked loaves that you can bring home and toss in the oven for 15 minutes to finish, those are usually pretty good.

If you want a real trip look up Korean garlic bread.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The average US supermarket has 50 different breads... and they are all sandwich loaf of varying colors!

Grand Fromage posted:

One of the strangest ones is I guess a lot of Brits and Australians think they're the only places in the world with kettles?
Please don't take this from them, fancy kettles are all they have.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Grand Fromage posted:

To be clear the generic Wonderbread poo poo in the US is bad. But any grocery store has like, fifty types of packaged bread and almost always has an in-house bakery that produces fresh stuff. Also they often sell parbaked loaves that you can bring home and toss in the oven for 15 minutes to finish, those are usually pretty good.

I was a postdoc in Ohio (:negative:), and even at Giant Eagle, you could get good bread. The quality difference between packaged supermarket bread and deli/bakery/homemade bread is pretty much the same between Euro and US bread.

An interesting thing I head on some ´podcast is that when Wonderbread was launched, it was seen as a great pure high quality bread. Bread from small bakeries at the time were often adulterated with random filler stuff, could be as bad as sawdust or chalk, and bakeries were often full of rats and roaches. On wonderbread, you could read the ingredients on the bag, and it was made in a modern clean factory, and for that reason safe and nutritious.

fake edit: could have been this podcast: https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/good-bread/

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

rodbeard posted:

No one is putting yeast in bread without adding some sort of sweetener for the yeast to eat. That's what makes dough rise. The sweetness comes from there being more sweetener for a recipe than what gets consumed by the yeast during the rise.

This is an incredibly wrong post.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Grand Fromage posted:

Knowing what I know of Korean cuisine, I am imagining an extremely sweet loaf of garlic bread with a drizzle of sugar syrup on top, yeah?

I might, honestly

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

zedprime posted:

Please don't take this from them, fancy kettles are all they have.

Beans for breakfast

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Code Jockey posted:

Knowing what I know of Korean cuisine, I am imagining an extremely sweet loaf of garlic bread with a drizzle of sugar syrup on top, yeah?

I might, honestly

Like a centimeter thick glaze of honey. Korean friends straight up refused to believe garlic bread isn't supposed to be sweet.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I have never put a sweetener in my dough when I've baked bread. And yet the dough rises.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

I love this one because I once told a Brit I have a kettle I bought at the Wal-Mart on my counter and I use it every single day to make tea and they proceeded to explain to me that I don't have a real kettle, it's an American kettle, I must not be making real tea either.

It's an electric thing that boils watter, Russel. Calm your tea.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

Like a centimeter thick glaze of honey. Korean friends straight up refused to believe garlic bread isn't supposed to be sweet.

fastest modernization in history also entailed fastest fattassification and diabetesification in history, unfortunately

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

That is absolutely how yeast work that's pretty simple and well understood biology. The reason dough still rises without adding sugar is small amounts of naturally occurring sugar in flour. People still add a spoonful of sugar to the yeast to get things started 9 times out of 10. You won't taste it because that's not that much sugar for a full loaf of bread and the yeast literally eats most of it anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
This is a bread my local bakery makes:

quote:

Natural sourdough (whole grain rye grist, water), whole grain wheat grist, carrots, water, whole grain rye grist, oat flakes, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sea salt

It's really good with just some butter and a slice of Gouda. Keeps for a week without going stale because it's moist and has a slightly low ph.

Regarding sugar: You only need sugar for your yeast if you have old wet yeast or you are using dry yeast or you are trying to make fluffy wheat bread. Sugar is easily digestible so the yeast multiplies faster and produces more gas. However, sourdough yeast cultures are quite happy breaking down starch instead, they just take longer. One of the rye sourdough breads I bake sometimes takes a good 22h for the first dough to rise, then another hour once I feed the dough with a small portion of wheat autolyse dough.

I object to high sugar bread because there's way too much sugar in all foods already. Human monkey brains crave sweet, so adding sugars is a cheap and shockingly effective way of making people eat and buy more of the product.

Anyway, I'm a breadstremist. This is my idol: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernd_das_Brot