Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

"House Harkonnen"

"House Ordos"

"House Atriedes"

It's been decades and I can still hear that narrator's voice clear as day

Also early 90s low fi intro videos were the absolute best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

victrix posted:

"House Harkonnen"

"House Ordos"

"House Atriedes"

It's been decades and I can still hear that narrator's voice clear as day

Also early 90s low fi intro videos were the absolute best

The music in both Dune and Dune 2 were basically synthwave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tC32ZIYXlE

Then Dune 2000 remade that intro with live action and a narrator who sounds awake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_N1zkgwLTY

Then Emperor gave us a Dune Fan Film starring Michael Dorn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thMgpNlhwGk

Orv
May 4, 2011
God I had forgotten about Michael Dorn with that haircut, that just feels so wrong.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

I miss the bad FMV cutscenes of old strategy games so much.

Like this ridiculously long intro for Battle Isle 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpGJRyS36r8

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

ErrEff posted:

And as said above, Valve has a really bad history for this kind of stuff.

I don't doubt it since after reinstalling my whole loving OS Steam launched once, worked, and then stopped

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Somebody admitting that not only have they never seen Fargo, but also that they are entirely unaware of its events through even cultural osmosis is like...it's like somebody admitting they've never heard of air! Never tasted water. Never felt their own skin!

It's ridiculous. Preposterous. I'm dizzy from it.

This reminds me of the guy in the FF7 LP thread who didn't know Aeris dies.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Is this the reason for all those "Hey can you vote for my team?" messages that goons keep getting?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Captain Walker posted:

I don't doubt it since after reinstalling my whole loving OS Steam launched once, worked, and then stopped

You got some real weird poo poo going on and should probably take it to the folks in sh/sc.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.

Jerusalem posted:

Is this the reason for all those "Hey can you vote for my team?" messages that goons keep getting?

No, team vote is a page that looks like steam but is not where people enter their login+steam guard code.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Nah the "vote for my team" thing is just old fashioned phishing, they're baiting people into handing over their Steam login details and taking the account, then spreading the bait to all their friends

If they were to use one of those exploits it would be much worse, using the invite exploit the flow would be "hello friend can you join my cs:go game" and accepting the invite immediately infects your PC with arbitrary malware, which could automatically send the same invite to all your friends so they also get infected if they accept it. Basically a Steam worm that only requires the seemingly benign action of accepting a game invite to spread.

Valve has known that's possible for 2 years and done nothing about it

repiv fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 12, 2021

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

No, thankfully that is a far more traditional phishing scheme, where someone has to click through a link and enter their credentials. This exploit can run code through all Source engine games when you click a game invite link.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Somebody admitting that not only have they never seen Fargo, but also that they are entirely unaware of its events through even cultural osmosis is like...it's like somebody admitting they've never heard of air! Never tasted water. Never felt their own skin!

It's ridiculous. Preposterous. I'm dizzy from it.
I am one of those people. Never seen Fargo, never heard much of anything about it.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Captain Walker posted:

Do you install some popup/malware blocker or have a pihole/other appliance firewall on your network? Also, did you do a full wipe when you reinstalled, or did you install over your old windows install, thus keeping the settings that might cause this?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

repiv posted:

If they were to use one of those exploits it would be much worse, using the invite exploit the flow would be "hello friend can you join my cs:go game" and accepting the invite immediately infects your PC with arbitrary malware, which could automatically send the same invite to all your friends so they also get infected if they accept it. Basically a Steam worm that only requires the seemingly benign action of accepting a game invite to spread.

Valve has known that's possible for 2 years and done nothing about it

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Is now a good time to mention that a couple of weeks ago I ignored an invite to play CS:GO from someone on my friendslist that I've never talked to.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am super glad I'm very anti social with video games. I'd never join a random invites game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

I am super glad I'm very anti social with video games. I'd never join a random invites game.

:same:

I play multiplayer stuff but always with randos these days.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Lol, quality stuff. First time booting Sunset Overdrive

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I guess Steam now charges me BC's provincial sales tax. Is that a new thing, and does it apply to other countries?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I think they just do it when countries chase them about it - they've charged me the local consumption tax for several years now.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

A good poster posted:

I guess Steam now charges me BC's provincial sales tax. Is that a new thing, and does it apply to other countries?

It's always done that for me, but then I do live in the same state as Valve headquarters :v:

I think they've been slowly rolling it out, like the currency stuff, as different countries yell at them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rinkles posted:

Lol, quality stuff. First time booting Sunset Overdrive

Warning to anyone with epilepsy, I got horrible green flickering during cutscenes. Disabling depth of field seems to have fixed it.

The port all round seems pretty crappy.

e:yeah its a buggy mess

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 12, 2021

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Ghostlight posted:

Is now a good time to mention that a couple of weeks ago I ignored an invite to play CS:GO from someone on my friendslist that I've never talked to.

Probably a good idea in general, CS:GO seems to just be a money laundering scheme now

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

A good poster posted:

In the UK I've always been charged VAT on Steam, which is no real surprise as it's an EU-wide thing and as others have said this kind of thing basically relies on the relevant institution sending out a tax demand that looks serious enough.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Rinkles posted:

Warning to anyone with epilepsy, I got horrible green flickering during cutscenes. Disabling depth of field seems to have fixed it.

The port all round seems pretty crappy.

e:yeah its a buggy mess

There's a part not very far into the game where a guy I'm following falls through the game world into an infinite void. Kept happening on mission restarts. I tried to run ahead of him and then I fell through the world in the same spot. I eventually got passed it and I'm not even sure how.

sad question
May 30, 2020

I've been on a bit of a Sherlock kick after finishing Devil's Daughter. So when the Frogwares games got discounted on Steam I grabbed their bundle and started working through the games in chronogical order. I was aware I might be in for some rough time.

Sherlock Holmes and the silver earring

Yeah it's a bit rough.

It's not their first game but there are many design decisions that point to their inexperience and perhaps limited budget. Interface is seemingly clean and intuitive but then functionality changes from moment to moment. Usually reading a document removes it from inventory and adds it to notes but sometimes it doesn't. Usually clicking on an item in inventory selects it for use but on some occasions it causes Holmes to examine it. Usually you have to use a looking glass to closely examine a scene but sometimes Holmes uses it by himself. Game pulls the trick where some items aren't interactive until some arbitrary trigger. There are frequent typos and punctuation errors in subtitles.

Right out of the gate Frogwares manages to include Dumb Things That Should Not Be In An Adventure game like a stealth sequence in engine that obviously does not support it that game overs you if you fail it and forest maze with a time limit. Both of these are a delight when Holmes doesn't always register the doubleclick to run. You also get classic - well, not pixel hunting since backgrounds are prerendered - so I guess blurry jpg hunting moments where you have to detect barely legible feather or something. Voice acting ranges fron okayish to unintentionally hilarious. Performance of people trying to play drunks or children is truly something to behold.

There are quizes at the end of each day, where you have to answer several questions and back up answers with clues which range from dialogues, items to found documents. I have mixed feelings about these. On one hand they serve a sound purpose - make the player sift through found info to make sure he understands the relevant bits. Sadly, these sections start feeling like homework quite quickly and you have to get everything right or the game will not let you progress.

Well, this certainly is Britain.

So I've been making GBS threads on the game so far so it must be terrible, right? Well, it's not that easy since the actual sherlocking is quite good. Interviewing suspects, finding clues, doing research at Baker Street are all quite fun. By the end you have a treasure trove of clues and information and things get slightly convoluted but the plot is actually pretty good. Title's also got decent atmosphere all things considered.

So in summary, the gameplay is a bit poo poo but the plot and atmosphere are solid, so if you want some sherlocking you could do worse. To be honest prerendered backgrounds with 3d models made me feel strangely nostalgic.

Watson Bullying Level - 4/10

I was going to rate this higher but I realized that Sherlock's insults are actually rare and rather weak, it's just that Watson has very strong reactions to them, so it feels worse that it is. Like, in one scene Watson urges Sherlock to hurry since he is hungry and wants to get a meal, to which Sherlock replies that his brain is more important than Watson's digestion and Watson reacts as if Sherlock told him he hosed his mother. Plus Watson is pretty competent in this and you control him in several scenes, so the game lets him off pretty easy.

Sherlock Holmes and the mystery of the persian carpet
This is poo poo.

It's a hidden object game that has no voice acting or animation, reuses backgrounds from Silver Earring and routinely requires you to find barely visible smudges or items completely obscured by shadows. I'm not a HO connoisseur but this is clearly absolutely terrible. Every now and then you get a poo poo logic puzzle. These range from picross, untangling yarn, pipe puzzles to finding differences between two pictures. If you can list any cliche casual puzzle this game has probably got it (no towers of hanoi though).

I checked out pretty early from the plot so I can't honestly tell you if that was even decent. There's barely any connection between the plot and clicking on the screen so why bother?

Still, there are some interesting elements here.

Research lab returns from previous game as it would in subsequent installments. Sadly, this iteration is very rudimentary.

I liked examining NPCs in C&P to find out information about them. This feature somewhat debuts in this game. Although it is another HO scene you can see some DNA shared between the games.

Something that I actually enjoyed was this game's Deduction Board. It is quite different from Deduction Space in later games - it gathers clues related to victim, suspects and locations and you find connections between them. So once you get info about a suspect you might connect his shoe to a footprint found at a scene, connect ashes to the brand of cigars he smokes etc. It's still simple but it's SOMETHING.

Watson Bullying Level - 0/10
There's very little dialogue between Sherlock and Watson and what's there lacks any insults. Very weak.

Next up: an actual game.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

A good poster posted:

Way back when Steam prices was in USD worldwide VAT was added when buying something (so over a decade ago). It was made part of the listed price when they started listing prices in euro, though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

A good poster posted:

I didn't have sales tax on Steam until Texas started charging digital sales tax uhhh... number years ago, it's been a minute now. In that case at least it changed over immediately.

Orv
May 4, 2011

sad question posted:

I've been on a bit of a Sherlock kick after finishing Devil's Daughter. So when the Frogwares games got discounted on Steam I grabbed their bundle and started working through the games in chronogical order. I was aware I might be in for some rough time.

Next up: an actual game.

I admire you and fear your power for having the wherewithal to do this but I feel like you should know that it's gonna keep being rough until the very end.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Another alleged Source remote code execution lol

https://twitter.com/bienpnn/status/1381616325391384577

That makes at least 5 Source RCEs reported to Valve and ignored

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I suspect it's because Valve doesn't actually have any video game programmers on staff anymore.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

seems like a company structure where everyone can assume someone else will fix it is a bad idea.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

repiv posted:

Another alleged Source remote code execution lol

https://twitter.com/bienpnn/status/1381616325391384577

That makes at least 5 Source RCEs reported to Valve and ignored

This one is scary - simply connecting to the server infects you but the code doesn't trigger until the next time the game is launched, making it much harder to pinpoint what happened.

Lol Valve

Orv
May 4, 2011
And then I just never played any source games again, RIP.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

at least garry gives a poo poo

https://twitter.com/garrynewman/status/1380933351633211392

https://twitter.com/garrynewman/status/1381333616278507525

edit: the creator of SteamDB also says valve paid him for an exploit but never actually fixed it

https://twitter.com/thexpaw/status/1381621297982103553?s=19

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 12, 2021

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

There's a game on sale called Synthetik: Legion Rising for about six bucks, I'm only mentioning it because it's shockingly good for a tiny indie game that regularly goes on sale, and I never see people talking about it. It's a top-down roguelite shooter thing, almost a twin-stick shooter but it requires you to place your cursor precisely on an enemy to actually hit. TL;DR you pick a class, slot in a bunch of abilities and passives, then run around a series of procedural levels picking up new guns, upgrading abilities, getting new stuff, and generally shootbanging the hell out of everything you see. There's a f2p version called Synthetik Arena you can screw around with for a few minutes to see if the gameplay's up your alley- poo poo's pretty good. I probably put 20-30 hours into it and didn't get close to finishing all the crud.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Omi no Kami posted:

There's a game on sale called Synthetik: Legion Rising for about six bucks, I'm only mentioning it because it's shockingly good for a tiny indie game that regularly goes on sale, and I never see people talking about it. It's a top-down roguelite shooter thing, almost a twin-stick shooter but it requires you to place your cursor precisely on an enemy to actually hit. TL;DR you pick a class, slot in a bunch of abilities and passives, then run around a series of procedural levels picking up new guns, upgrading abilities, getting new stuff, and generally shootbanging the hell out of everything you see. There's a f2p version called Synthetik Arena you can screw around with for a few minutes to see if the gameplay's up your alley- poo poo's pretty good. I probably put 20-30 hours into it and didn't get close to finishing all the crud.

It also has co op! Its a fun game

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Omi no Kami posted:

Synthetik: Legion Rising

Edmond Dantes posted:

Synthetik is amazing, they got the Ultimate update in recently which adds even more stuff. Go play it.

:haibrow:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Omi no Kami posted:

I love that game

We even have a thread which unfortunately didn't live for long
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3913147

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Something I'm genuinely super-impressed with is how different a lot of the classes feel. Tons of roguelites fall into that trap where every dude is basically a single key skill wearing a different funny hat, but from what I recall every single guy was basically a completely unique playstyle.