Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

US, Israel, Saudi Arabia. Pick 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

So the patent stuff is an issue that will constrain things in 6-12 months with the fight for generics and money. Right now, it's not hurting availability for any other country - that's contracting instead of patents.

Yeah, Moderna said months ago that they wouldn’t enforce their patents for anyone making COVID vaccines.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

That Works posted:

US, Israel, Saudi Arabia. Pick 2?

Lol if you think the Saudis have the competency to do more than blow up some school buses and eat one-way drones.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

facialimpediment posted:

This article's a few months old, but opening the patents wouldn't just lead to more vaccine production right now: https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2021/02/02/myths-of-vaccine-manufacturing

drat near everything is fully supply bottlenecked and/or needs custom machinery on the mRNA side. On the J&J side, the US trusted Emergent to have cleaning/manufacturing standards that didn't suck (welp), so additional production is hosed until Merck comes online in a few months. The J&J doses that America has are foreign-manufactured, Donnie's people just signed the contracts first so got the deliveries first.

Right now, the US is getting most of the doses because we signed our contracts first. The rest of the world didn't front as much of the gazillions because none of it was guaranteed to produce actual vaccines. On top of that, they had quasi-competent governments pushing mitigation measures, while the Americans were pushing that masks were communism.

So the patent stuff is an issue that will constrain things in 6-12 months with the fight for generics and money. Right now, it's not hurting availability for any other country - that's contracting instead of patents.

It's not just contracting - those contracts the US has weren't negotiated first. Pfizer, for example, had sold all of their first run of supply to other nations because Trump didn't want to buy them at the time. He still purchased 100% of the first run of production forcing all of the extant export contracts to be sidelined.

We have the number of vaccines that we have because trump and biden both prevented pfizer or moderna from selling them to anyone else. the uk did something similar.

e: in other vaccine news, the sinovac vaccine has an efficacy of 56.5% four weeks after your second dose.
https://twitter.com/itosettiMD_MBA/status/1381182695695339520

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 11, 2021

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
People really, really don’t seem to understand how efficacy works.

https://twitter.com/zeynep/status/1381223370436530176?s=21

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

We have the number of vaccines that we have because trump and biden both prevented pfizer or moderna from selling them to anyone else. the uk did something similar.

Yeah our hands aren't clean, I'm just more or less rolling my eyes at the patent thing as the topic du jour of online arguments. The equivalent of "I would simply make more graphics cards!" of the semiconductor shortage.

mlmp08 posted:

People really, really don’t seem to understand how efficacy works.

Or the law of large numbers:

https://twitter.com/dylanlscott/status/1381238747908485127?s=19

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Is this Stuxnet v 2.0?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

facialimpediment posted:

Yeah our hands aren't clean, I'm just more or less rolling my eyes at the patent thing as the topic du jour of online arguments. The equivalent of "I would simply make more graphics cards!" of the semiconductor shortage.

Or the law of large numbers:

https://twitter.com/dylanlscott/status/1381238747908485127?s=19

poo poo, I saw someone get wheeled away for feeling dizzy and nauseated, and I feel it slightly myself(mostly stomach cramps) but like, that was a straight "this may happen, just let us know and we will get you a place to lay down" no panic situation. Shutting down sites over a known reaction to injections is nuts

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

PeterCat posted:

Officer's first command: "Put your hands out the window and turn the vehicle off!"

How the gently caress is he supposed to turn the vehicle off with his hands out the window, and how is he supposed to put his hands out the window if he's turning the vehicle off?"

The cop is giving him an impossible set of instructions so that the cop is covered when the LT "doesn't comply."

Exactly. The officer is not in control of his emotions - he's out of control, giving unclear, contradictory commands that are potentially fatal to the poor Lt. here. Dude's on a power trip. He began felony stop procedure for what was NOT a felony stop. Probably just because he's on a power trip. Officer had plenty of time to explain exactly what is going on to the Lt., but he didn't. That could have deescalated the situation. Instead he chose to be a power tripping rear end in a top hat.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

poo poo, I saw someone get wheeled away for feeling dizzy and nauseated, and I feel it slightly myself(mostly stomach cramps) but like, that was a straight "this may happen, just let us know and we will get you a place to lay down" no panic situation. Shutting down sites over a known reaction to injections is nuts

They're just looking for excuses to not let people have their shots.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Midjack posted:

They're just looking for excuses to not let people have their shots.

I get that, but it still feels like its giving me a stroke

This may finally be my crackping

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Moderna 2nd shot was rough. Full symptoms started ~12 hours in. From there I had another 12 hours of fever, chills, extreme fatigue, nausea, disorientation, muscle aches, and joint aches. Then things abated and I had another 12 hours of heavy fatigue and moderate aches and pains. My fitness tracker says I burned 2.5x the calories of my heaviest exercise days even though I was laying in bed too weak to stand pretty much the entire day.

Footage from my vaccine clinic: https://youtu.be/e4su1305TDk

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Lol if you think the Saudis have the competency to do more than blow up some school buses and eat one-way drones.

Eh, I bet they could be capable enough to get a janitor in there to turn off the breakers at the right time at the least. Not at like... stuxnet 2 or anything tho.

brains
May 12, 2004

lmfao less than 30 people total got loving dizzy out of 3 million shots per day, shut it all down folks it's not safe!

oh those half a million people who died? no big deal, open 'er up.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1381089330911928320?s=21

Doing a very bad impression of his own dad to hype a Jake Paul boxing match.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

mlmp08 posted:

Holy poo poo, they actually booked that "fight"?

:lol:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
It warms my heart that Jorge Masvidal is on the Trump Train. As a dude who came up bareknuckle fighting in backyards in Miami he appreciates that a total lack of services and opportunities will help kids grow up to be as successful as he's become!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Masvidal being on the Trump Train kinda sells it short, he's full-blown QAnon.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I let that Askren v. Paul "fight" go through my head a couple of times, and I'm having trouble figuring out who to feel bad for.
It's not either of them, because both are just personified Fremdscham, but "I feel bad for boxing" crossed my mind, and then I remembered that boxing has devolved into a clownshow rife with corruption over the past couple of decades, so it's not that either.

I guess I feel bad for the people that are seeing their sweet science circling the shitter on capitalism-lifesupport. Like...Freddie Roach, I guess?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Duzzy Funlop posted:

We're getting 20k cases per day at only twice your population.
And we have a whopping 5 Million people fully vaccinated out of 80 million...

It's the middle of April.

:suicide:

I, uh, hope you weren't counting on ordering from Russia to help.

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1380115753345638403

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

mlmp08 posted:

Are his eye lids literally bruised from cocaine?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I got Pfizer first shot and was sleepy the first couple days after, then fine, and then day 4 after work feeling fine I completely crashed and slept like 14 hours. Back to normal now, but hoo boy I'm clearing my schedule the week of the second shot. I got super sick early in the year but tested negative for covid. A friend in the same boat also had a rough time with the first shot. Thrilled to get vaxxed whatever the case.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://twitter.com/rachelweinerwp/status/1380510816819150848

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/gilicohen10/status/1381270193217896464

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
~24h since Pfizer #2 and other than a persistently sore upper arm and some joint/muscle aches, nothing too weird.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I genuinely wasn't.

My hopes are on the new Biontech plant in Marburg, which passed its process series in March and has gone to full capacity production before the beginning of April. They're planning on outputting 250 million doses from that plant* alone by June.
A large portion of what our vaccination centers will be poking people with during the second half of March will be supplied from there, so that should give our numbers another bit of a jolt.

Full disclosure: Since the vaccines begun distribution/administering via general practitioners over easter, we've seen our daily doses pretty much double/triple from a measly 200-300k to 500-700k, so we're not completely in the toilet, but I'm still bitter as all gently caress over the lovely start we had to this year due to supply issues.

*The plant is just cooking up the good stuff, bottling/packaging is done at the Pfizer plant in Belgium

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I let that Askren v. Paul "fight" go through my head a couple of times, and I'm having trouble figuring out who to feel bad for.
It's not either of them, because both are just personified Fremdscham, but "I feel bad for boxing" crossed my mind, and then I remembered that boxing has devolved into a clownshow rife with corruption over the past couple of decades, so it's not that either.

I guess I feel bad for the people that are seeing their sweet science circling the shitter on capitalism-lifesupport. Like...Freddie Roach, I guess?

Boxing itself is actually a lot of fun and I recommend it to people that want to work out with some form of training in mind. ie not trying to be the best at exercising (crossfit). If I wasn't still nursing this knee injury I wanted to get back into training. I still really want a reflex bag, footwork was always my weakest part.

I think watching boxing is a lot like watching wrestling you either like it and appreciate the art or you just don't. I like both so... :shrug: But I can't name any current high profile boxers except Canelo or Mayweather whereas I could tell you what I think about most of the AEW roster by name. And these stupid gimmick fights, unless they are for charity, aren't helping boxing as a sport.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

MA-Horus posted:

Congrats USA, Canada is officially loving up COVID worse than you guys now due to some absolute morons running Ontario and Alberta.

We're getting over 4k cases daily, can't vaccinate our way outta this. Hospitals and ICUs are overrun and all elective surgeries have been postponed.

I know it sucks in Ontario right now but I don't think we really need to get into a suffering contest with the country that lost over half a million people over the past year because of how badly they hosed it up

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

That Works posted:

Eh, I bet they could be capable enough to get a janitor in there to turn off the breakers at the right time at the least. Not at like... stuxnet 2 or anything tho.

I dunno, they seem to be wasting all their money on other things at the moment.

https://twitter.com/borzou/status/1381015625728937984

https://twitter.com/borzou/status/1381177442300231681

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Aahhaahahah.

Good.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

That’s peak Gulfy right there.

My condolences to whichever South Asian “guest worker” MBS murdered to blow off some stream after this incident.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Iain posted:

Boxing itself is actually a lot of fun and I recommend it to people that want to work out with some form of training in mind. ie not trying to be the best at exercising (crossfit). If I wasn't still nursing this knee injury I wanted to get back into training. I still really want a reflex bag, footwork was always my weakest part.

I think watching boxing is a lot like watching wrestling you either like it and appreciate the art or you just don't. I like both so... :shrug: But I can't name any current high profile boxers except Canelo or Mayweather whereas I could tell you what I think about most of the AEW roster by name. And these stupid gimmick fights, unless they are for charity, aren't helping boxing as a sport.

Oh yeah, didn't mean to say that boxing as a sport itself is a corrupt Shitshow, just the money-spectacle part of it that is dragging the essence of the sport into the gutter.

Folks like mcgregor are just as guilty as YouTubers for this massive moneyweight-trend, as legit boxers taking those fights.

Askren vs. Paul however...you can't even use the word legit in that equation. :lol:

Whoever wins, uh...everyone loses.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

that's a good word to learn, thanks friend

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Maryland... less bad?

quote:

Maryland enacted historic police accountability measures Saturday, becoming the first state to repeal its powerful Law Enforcement Officers’ Bill of Rights and setting new rules for when police may use force and how they are investigated and disciplined.

The Democratic-majority legislature dealt Republican Gov. Larry Hogan a sharp rebuke, overriding his vetoes of measures that raise the bar for officers to use force; give civilians a role in police discipline for the first time; restrict no-knock warrants; mandate body cameras; and open some allegations of police wrongdoing for public review.

Each bill had been hailed by criminal justice advocates as having the potential to make policing in the state fairer and more transparent. Democrats, who hold large majorities in the legislature, made enacting them a top priority after months of protests over the police-involved deaths of unarmed Black men and women.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Eej posted:

I know it sucks in Ontario right now but I don't think we really need to get into a suffering contest with the country that lost over half a million people over the past year because of how badly they hosed it up

no, no we do because we had every loving opportunity to NOT be in this situation.

however The Coward Douglas Ford left everything including the 800 pound gorilla on the table for far, far too long. Fully responsible for all of this.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

It’s an act of war, sure, but I don’t see how it’s terrifying.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MA-Horus posted:

no, no we do because we had every loving opportunity to NOT be in this situation.

however The Coward Douglas Ford left everything including the 800 pound gorilla on the table for far, far too long. Fully responsible for all of this.

Would the coke addict Rob Ford have done any better though?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Lmao

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

MA-Horus posted:

I'm just saying, you're probably not going to get a lot of sympathy from people who had to deal with "container truck full of dead bodies" for a summer. Makes me think of Toronto Star running an article a week ago saying Canadians have vaccine envy as though people have memories lasting 2 weeks and completely have forgotten what a shitshow 2020 was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

orange juche posted:

Would the coke addict Rob Ford have done any better though?

He actually might've.