Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Reach for the Summit SLAPS - the shift from Forsaken City to Old Site is my favorite part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
The wavedash tutorial is harder than most of the C-sides!!!

The screens just after it are bangin' though

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Wow, Farewell is really really fun! Incredibly creative level design

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I just love the back half of this track so much
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0etenwnI1wo&t=192s

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Finished the B sides over the last couple of days and feeling pumped about it, looking forward to smashing my head against the C sides and Farewell

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

mfcrocker posted:

Finished the B sides over the last couple of days and feeling pumped about it, looking forward to smashing my head against the C sides and Farewell

For what it's worth, I vastly preferred both the C-Sides and Farewell to the B-Sides. The B-Sides burnt me out pretty badly on my first playthrough.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

mfcrocker posted:

A lot to look forward to! You can do it!

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
I'm not sure what I think about this looooooooooong screen at the end of Farewell...

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you're there you can handle it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Greenplastic posted:

I'm not sure what I think about this looooooooooong screen at the end of Farewell...

It’s the only screen in the entire game I cheated on. I probably would have beat it eventually but I binged the farewell section in one sitting and just wanted it to be over.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

ultrafilter posted:

If you're there you can handle it.

Yup. It's probably in the bottom 10 percentile of difficulty in Farewell. It's very long but there isn't a single part in it that is particularly difficult when compared against the rest of the chapter.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Yeah, to me the last screen was a composure and focus test, not as much of a skill test like a lot of Farewell

Still long and substantial, though not so tricky or exacting. You can do it!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea holy poo poo I’d forgotten how dope this is.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Artelier posted:

Yeah, to me the last screen was a composure and focus test, not as much of a skill test like a lot of Farewell

Still long and substantial, though not so tricky or exacting. You can do it!

Yeah, it doesn't seem too difficult, just isn't very fun :(

Ah well, the stuff leading up to it was great! Excited to have gotten wavedashes down pretty well!

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
I did it! 4K deaths for Farewell. Now I'll have to check out that alternate path...

Edit: TWELVE hours, jesus christ I didn't know I'd been at it for that long

Greenplastic fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 29, 2021

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

RCarr posted:

It’s the only screen in the entire game I cheated on. I probably would have beat it eventually but I binged the farewell section in one sitting and just wanted it to be over.

Same. I considered doing it but then I thought that each death later on would mean minutes of replaying. That wasn't worth it and I don't feel bad for doing it.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
All assists are valid, even though the last one isn't as difficult with its techniques, it's still like three minutes long. That's a wild amount of time to keep full focus. Probably the longest of any single room in the entire game?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Greenplastic posted:

I did it! 4K deaths for Farewell. Now I'll have to check out that alternate path...

Edit: TWELVE hours, jesus christ I didn't know I'd been at it for that long

Congratulations! It's been great to see your progress.

The moonberry path has some tricky bits, but if you've completed Farewell you have all the skills to make it happen.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
lani's trek was very cute i wouldnt mind seeing that ballooned out a bit

maddy clearly had mario maker on their mind lol

did anyone find more than 16 strawberries

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Violen posted:

lani's trek was very cute i wouldnt mind seeing that ballooned out a bit

maddy clearly had mario maker on their mind lol

did anyone find more than 16 strawberries

nope that's all of em

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
After completing everything I think 7C is my favorite. First completion was 5 hours 1500 deaths, but when I returned to it now I got the golden strawberry in 30 minutes. I have given up the idea if getting goldens for any long levels though. The grinding needed to build up the muscle memory is not compatible with having a baby, lol

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I know what you're thinking, "the Celeste soundtrack slaps so hard, what if it were snes music though?"

Well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPBh_986y6o

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
https://twitter.com/crazedrook/status/1373304332410527746

I'm just going to leave this here and be sad.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Finally got around to playing this over the last week or so, beat Summit, beat the B-sides for stage 1 and 2, beat Core, and then started on Farewell. I knew it was update and probably very hard, but I also assumed it was maybe going to be like Core, where the real hard stuff was in a B-Side or something.

After a night of grinding it out, I decided to look up how far I was - oh, like 2 screens from the heart....why is the video another 20 minutes?

Absolutely fantastic game though. So many fantastic touches - love the Summit stage cycling through the various levels, each adding a layer to the music. Debating trying more b-sides, but stage 3 was easily my least favorite of the A-Sides. (Though I realize I can just skip it.)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

So it looks like Celeste got a patch a couple of weeks ago? I only noticed because I loaded the game up for old times' sake and the title cards have updated the creator's name.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Oxyclean posted:

Finally got around to playing this over the last week or so, beat Summit, beat the B-sides for stage 1 and 2, beat Core, and then started on Farewell. I knew it was update and probably very hard, but I also assumed it was maybe going to be like Core, where the real hard stuff was in a B-Side or something.

After a night of grinding it out, I decided to look up how far I was - oh, like 2 screens from the heart....why is the video another 20 minutes?

Absolutely fantastic game though. So many fantastic touches - love the Summit stage cycling through the various levels, each adding a layer to the music. Debating trying more b-sides, but stage 3 was easily my least favorite of the A-Sides. (Though I realize I can just skip it.)

Congratulations on getting this far! I felt the same way as you about 3B and lost a lot of lives to being completely unable to see a safe way through a pattern, but I got through it eventually.

Unfortunately you will need to do 3B eventually if you want to finish Farewell / unlock the C Sides but I guarantee it'll get easier, especially if you're kind to yourself and mix it up with other levels instead of just bashing your head against it like I did.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Oxyclean posted:

This game has been something I'll pickup every few months and play for a week solid. Progress and muscle memory definitely take time to build up, it's a lot to learn!

Also stage 3 is my least favorite in every single difficulty pass.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Yeah despite like 90% of level 3 being purely rhythmic, it still feels the most random and difficult to predict for me. I think Mirror Temple weirdly enough ended up being my favorite despite having similar difficulties with the flying guys

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I found 3B more fun than 3A mainly because of the sweet remix that plays.

5B and 5A have a similar relationship.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
https://twitter.com/exok_games/status/1384182598507778052

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I have finally reached a sticking point. I can't make it past this screen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNDOSr1sje4&t=867s

No matter what I do, when the fish explodes, it sends me into the immediate spikes next to it, instead of arcing up and over. I've watched different videos and they all sail in a nice arc. I've died hundreds of times here and just can't get it to work. What am I doing wrong?

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Are you holding jump as you bounce off the fish? That'll affect how high you bounce, and makes a lot of difference in that room in particular.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Smart Car posted:

Are you holding jump as you bounce off the fish? That'll affect how high you bounce, and makes a lot of difference in that room in particular.

Yep. Here's a video - I'd be so happy if you can point out what I am doing wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YY5dKv_jdk

Edit: I see you mean holding jump on the initial bounce. Thank you so much - got it!

Edit 2: Now I'm to the wavedashing tutorial. I beat all the B and C sides but I think this is where I tap out. Why the gently caress did they make it so sometimes you get your dash back and sometimes you don't, depending on a few pixels of when you start your diagonal-down dash? This feels mercilessly precise.

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 11, 2021

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

I don't know if I just have stupid hands or if I was doing something wrong or what, but I never really pinned down how to consistently wavedash. If a stage or part of a stage only asked me to do one at a time then I could eventually get a successful run, but there are a couple points where it wants you to do multiple wavedashes in a row, and those points were basically undoable for me. So what I ended up doing was just accepting that chain wavedashes are outside my ability to do, and turning on infinite dashes in assist mode to get me past those specific sections. I feel a slight twinge of guilt for assist moding my way past the parts I couldn't do, but it's kept down due to the fact that I did everything else legit, and only assist moded my way past the minor bits that were preventing me from getting to further screens. The result of weighing the feeling of using assist mode versus seeing more of the level may turn out differently for you than it did for me, but at the very least it's an option that the game gives you without judging you for it.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Wave dashing is entirely a timing thing. You essentially have to jump as Madeline's hair turns white after touching the ground from the diagonal dash. With practice you just tend to get used to how long you have to wait. If you're not getting the dash refresh, you're most likely jumping too early after landing and you have to let it sit for a split second longer. If you start your diagonal dash closer to the ground, you have more time for the dash to refresh before losing your momentum.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I can always get the dash on the first wavedash, but I can never get it on the second (in fact, I beat 8C by doing one wavedash and then a small normal jump into a horizontal dash to the crystal).

I am stuck at the "tutorial screen" where you need to wavedash from the second platform into a wall bounce. I just can't get the second wavedash no matter what I do - I end up with blue hair in the air and die.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

dantheman650 posted:

I can always get the dash on the first wavedash, but I can never get it on the second (in fact, I beat 8C by doing one wavedash and then a small normal jump into a horizontal dash to the crystal).

I am stuck at the "tutorial screen" where you need to wavedash from the second platform into a wall bounce. I just can't get the second wavedash no matter what I do - I end up with blue hair in the air and die.
This "tutorial" took me forever. I was pretty tilted when I finally got it. Later in the DLC the timing finally clicked for me and I could do them consistently, but oof, that one was rough.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

dantheman650 posted:

Have you tried slowing down the game speed in the assist options? That should help you to figure out what inputs the game is expecting with less demanding timing, and once you've got that down you can slowly increase it.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

dantheman650 posted:

Edit 2: Now I'm to the wavedashing tutorial. I beat all the B and C sides but I think this is where I tap out. Why the gently caress did they make it so sometimes you get your dash back and sometimes you don't, depending on a few pixels of when you start your

That tutorial set my expectations for the difficulty of the rest of the level way too high. There are parts that are as difficult, but few things gave me as much trouble as that tutorial. If you can get past it, you can do the whole thing!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

For wavedashing, I find it much easier to "see" Madeline land for a split second before continuing to jump.

So it's like
Jump, hold downforward (throughout this entire sequence), dash, wait a beat for Madeline to land, jump, dash, wait a beat, jump, dash, wait a beat.

The timing is very consistent, but there's a high chance you were pressing it too early to get the dash out, especially if you're anticipating to press it first frame on the ground.