Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LemonRind
Apr 26, 2010

CEO OF FUNHAVER ENTERPRISES
Ask me about making YOUR thread suck less!

Regalingualius posted:

Here’s a fun thought: what’s the most seemingly-useless Stand power that you could see Araki make into a legitimately threatening fighter? Like, the ability to make everything in an area one color, for example.

Reminds me of the samurai jack episode with the black and white ninja suits which would turn out to be a terrifying stand power in practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

It's what I love about Survivor in Pt6. It's Araki driving home "Every single possible stand is incredibly powerful, as long as it's in the correct context".

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

overmind2000 posted:

I really need to read more of the interviews, there's some crazy deep lore in them, like the part where one of his editors said that Araki originally wanted Giorno to be a girl

Well, Giovanna IS a woman name.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is "Shiobana" a preexisting Japanese name or was Araki just picking something that could be transformed into "Giovanna"? Because it always makes me think of "Siobhán", an Irish girl's name. (I know more than one Siobhán and each one spells it completely differently)

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

YggiDee posted:

Is "Shiobana" a preexisting Japanese name or was Araki just picking something that could be transformed into "Giovanna"? Because it always makes me think of "Siobhán", an Irish girl's name. (I know more than one Siobhán and each one spells it completely differently)

I can't find it as having been a preexisting name but it definitely means something in Japanese, or at least can depending on how it's read. Here's a section of a longer post about Giorno that I found on tumblr that explains it

quote:

Giorno’s Japanese name, Haruno Shiobana is written like this: 汐華 初流乃. Kanji can have multiple readings in Japanese, called the on and kun readings (with some kanji having a third reading when applied to names). The usual reading of the first kanji of Giorno’s name (初) is usually “ha”, but in its less common on reading, it’s read as “sho”. Haruno Shiobana then becomes Shoruno Shiobana.

Shoruno Shiobana –> Joruno Jobaana

Or if we write it in katakana:

ショルノ シオバナ –> ジョルノ ジョバァーナ

In Japanese both sounds are incredibly similar. Hence Koichi’s realization that Haruno was in fact Giorno: he just read the kanji of his name with their secondary pronounciation.

As an aside, when I heard Giorno’s Japanese name, without seeing the kanji, by the sound of them alone I thought his name would mean something like “salt flower of spring”, but looking at the kanji used in his name it means something more like “(he who is) born from the first tide” (if you try to tie the meaning of all the kanji into a coherent sentence), which given the fact that Dio emerged from the sea I find quite appropriate.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Alright I found the ultimate Stone Ocean ED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhTvxVxXJLQ

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

flavor.flv posted:

A jojo is a man named R.E.O. Speedwagon wearing a checkered top hat. A jojo is an orangutan who gains the ability to create an oil tanker with its mind when a vampire wakes up on the other side of the world. A jojo is one of those naked cats if it was a time travelling android crossed with a naked runway model with a plant that is also a cat living in a door in its torso, imagined into existence by David Bowie

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

How often is JoJolion on the cover of Ultra Jump? If it's uncommon then this chapter must really be something special. Spoilers unless Araki is only including certain things because he wants to draw them

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Next chapter’s gonna pop off, bet.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Just in time to introduce the true villain of the part! I can't wait!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

excuse me i cannot complete the maze on the front of this magazine there are too many characters on it

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
If the beetles really come back it might raise jojolion to 3 stars for me

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I may be one of the few people who really liked the Wonder of U fight - it's a delightfully nasty ability, there's some very cool visuals once the stand goes on the offensive (as offensive as you can get provoking overreactions), and I still loving love the reveal of STANDS CAN WEAR CLOTHES. Also, I think it's one of those sections that work much better when you read them as a complete section - there's much less immediate gratification, and quite a lot of build-up. It's kind of fascinating: there are absolutely tons of people involved in this stand fight, for Jojo standards, and it's happening simultaneously. I feel like Jojo doesn't do that so often, and if it does, the scenes are usually fragmented into 2 or 3 active participants at any time.

But even I kinda dread that this has been the final fight. No Araki. Please don't. Please allow Wonder of U to die and then turn Jobin into the final boss via time shenanigans. Don't just have Kaato vanish and Jobin die from a straw. I demand closure for paper boy who currently dies of paper. I want my flashforward to play out. I don't care if Kaato just goes "I'm giving you my stand powers via fruit fusion son, kay thx bye", just give her something. Araki, you can do whatever the gently caress you want, just don't let it end with this

Also, I'm still kinda mad at cool ice bike lady jobbing immediately. I demand time shenanigans

Man, this mystery has been a mess. Still ready to love this tho. Still

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

somepartsareme posted:

If the beetles really come back it might raise jojolion to 3 stars for me

I can't handle that level of gore, man.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Torquemadras posted:

Also, I'm still kinda mad at cool ice bike lady jobbing immediately. I demand time shenanigans

It'll have to be time shenanigans because otherwise the rock insects are gonna kill Josuke because they'll still be there after Tooru's dead

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

How soon do translated chapters drop?

E: drat. For some reason I had it in my head that it was dropping the 17th.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 17, 2021

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Usually by the 19th unless something unforeseen happens

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

19th unless they don't get a raw or the 19th is a Sunday, where it comes forward.

Wonder of U will read better on a full read through but I'm tired of rock insects and pulling them out of nowhere.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

We're not done with Rock Bugs until we get their king, Ooh Eee Ooh Ah-Ah Ting-Tang Walla-Walla Bing-Bang.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

We're not done with Rock Bugs until we get their king, Ski-Ba-Bop-Ba-Dop-Bop.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Real talk, if these Rock Bugs have all these goofball names and Araki doesn't reference Scatman John, I'll be super disappointed.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jojolion 106
https://imgur.com/a/uCk2K3g

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kaato is gonna kill his rear end, right? Right?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That was a spicy chapter.

I'm really not a fan of Obla di Obla da, it's visually ugly as hell. Araki can do a lot better than it.

Soft & Wet Go Beyond is pretty cool! I'm looking forward to Cato putting this little bitch down, but I feel like he's going to use what's left of the equivalent exchange to get her Stand or some poo poo.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Glad Josuke got that rock pipe out of his eye, it was very unsettling

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Soft & Wet Go Beyond is pretty cool! I'm looking forward to Cato putting this little bitch down, but I feel like he's going to use what's left of the equivalent exchange to get her Stand or some poo poo.

I agree but I think it'll be the other way around. She's crying, she's just seen her entire family horribly mutilated and dying/dead. I think it'll be Kaato, not Tooru, who takes control of the fusion and uses her Stand ability combined with Wonder Of U to rewrite reality, giving us the flash-forward from the beginning of this arc.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Glad others enjoyed the chapter, my reaction is just "meh." Kind of disappointing.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

I agree but I think it'll be the other way around. She's crying, she's just seen her entire family horribly mutilated and dying/dead. I think it'll be Kaato, not Tooru, who takes control of the fusion and uses her Stand ability combined with Wonder Of U to rewrite reality, giving us the flash-forward from the beginning of this arc.

Better be!!!

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

FirstAidKite posted:

Glad others enjoyed the chapter, my reaction is just "meh." Kind of disappointing.
I dunno about disappointing, but it felt almost rushed. Ironically after ages of what seemed to be things moving at the pace of a snail.

Felt weird that after roughly two years of Wonder of U and Tooru being untouchable, he's all but dead within the span of a single chapter. And chances are he'll be finished off next month.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think it'll be Kaato, not Tooru, who takes control of the fusion and uses her Stand ability combined with Wonder Of U to rewrite reality, giving us the flash-forward from the beginning of this arc.

She'd have to bury both herself and Tooru under the Wall Eyes for a fusion to happen, otherwise it would just be parts of her being used to heal Tooru. Alternatively she buries him to heal Jobin

Holy gently caress, that's probably what's gonna happen

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

unless the same thing can happen between her cards

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Caato: Hey everyone, I finished my margarita and - HOLY poo poo

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Thinking about it some more I think Kaato's gonna be the Part 8 version of Part 4's ambulance

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Also the only way the scene in the future where everything is normal still happens is if killing Tooru reverses every calamity he's ever caused

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

TheLoneStar posted:

I dunno about disappointing, but it felt almost rushed. Ironically after ages of what seemed to be things moving at the pace of a snail.
It's been mentioned earlier, but it also just feels kind of unearned, despite the grueling battle and the many sacrifices that were necessary to get here. Jousuke had already tricked Tooru into pursuing him, which was a good setup, but Tooru wasn't really affected by that in the end, and then Jousuke won by suddenly getting the ability to shoot Tooru with a magical gun because something something stand upgrade.

overmind2000 posted:

Also the only way the scene in the future where everything is normal still happens is if killing Tooru reverses every calamity he's ever caused
Now that Araki brought Kaato back, I'm mostly confident that he won't just leave that flash-forward scene as a dangling plot thread. Though I mostly hope that that will be the case; everything regarding Tsurugi is still completely unresolved, and it wouldn't be great if that part of the plot just concluded with "And then Tsurugi died of rock cancer, The End."

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Comedy option is that Josuke shoots another bullet through the cell phone and Kaato catches it with her cards so that it continuously bounces between the cards creating some kind of perpetual motion Spin loop that reverses time

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
“Yasuho aim the phone at him”

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

hatty posted:

“Yasuho aim the phone at him”

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
This is almost as good and Earned as the last fight in part 5, except if we didn't know The Boss was important until the final arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'm really laffin' at how long it took josuke to convince yasuho to point her phone at a man