Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I mean, I was 11 when space jam came out and all I can remember of the movie is that I thought it was kinda poo poo. IIRC we went to see it with my school class as some kind of end of term treat. I refuse to believe real people actually dressed like that though (maybe fashion trends were different in Australia?). They looked ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

I mean, I was 11 when space jam came out and all I can remember of the movie is that I thought it was kinda poo poo. IIRC we went to see it with my school class as some kind of end of term treat. I refuse to believe real people actually dressed like that though (maybe fashion trends were different in Australia?). They looked ridiculous.

I saw Space Jam exactly twice around the same age, once in theaters and then again on VHS, maybe a third time, I dunno it's kinda hazy. I don't think I had a strong opinion of it one way or the other, but it wasn't exactly something that stuck around in my memory for too long aside from being reminded occasionally "hey, remember Space Jam?" So no, no one gave a poo poo about Space Jam after 1996, 97 if we're pushing it.

To this day I am legitimately surprised it even got a sequel.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I saw Space Jam exactly twice around the same age, once in theaters and then again on VHS, maybe a third time, I dunno it's kinda hazy. I don't think I had a strong opinion of it one way or the other, but it wasn't exactly something that stuck around in my memory for too long aside from being reminded occasionally "hey, remember Space Jam?" So no, no one gave a poo poo about Space Jam after 1996, 97 if we're pushing it.

Memes are powerful.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Wait it came out in 96? I was thinking 98 for some reason. So I would have been 9, even closer to the target demographic.

I definitely agree that there were way more iconic movies they could have featured, particularly given that Cisco is such a nerd. Star Trek First Contact for example, or Independence Day.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

Wait it came out in 96? I was thinking 98 for some reason. So I would have been 9, even closer to the target demographic.

I definitely agree that there were way more iconic movies they could have featured, particularly given that Cisco is such a nerd. Star Trek First Contact for example, or Independence Day.

I’m thinking this was an edict from on high in the Warner Brothers water tower. “The new Space Jam is coming out soon, have someone mention Space Jam on your comic book nerd show for Brand Synergy or some poo poo.”

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Obviously Killer Frost is going to show up in the crowd scene next to Mama Fretelli and Imortan Joe.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Look guys, they went to '98 because if they went back too much further Cisco and Chester would've been either too young to remember it and/or they don't want them to be too old whenever Cisco mentally becomes 7 and you work out the timeline that he's officially 30, Space Jam is in theatersBlockbuster because everyone knows there's not a chance it would be getting a lot of hype in... any other time thereby signifying it's definitely the 90s (and yeah a touch of WB brand synergy), and they dress like Saved By The Bell characters because it's funnier.

vvv: ah yes

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 11, 2021

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Minor correction but Space Jam was guaranteed in stock at Blockbuster, not in theaters (Blockbuster in general has quickly become the "this is the 90s" landmark, as evidenced by Captain Marvel)

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It definitely was brand synergy driven because it wasn’t just a throw away reference they kept talking about it later.

Can’t believe Barry/The Speedforce hosed up 90s throwback episodes and Groundhog Day ones too

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The 90s sucked the first time and it sucks as nostalgia fodder now

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

McSpanky posted:

The 90s sucked the first time and it sucks as nostalgia fodder now

The only thing I miss about the 90s was being young.

TV is better, movies are better, video games are better, comic books are better, food is about the same. People are more aware about problems in our society, racism, homo and transphobia are considered bad rather than fodder from comedians.

Though there wasn't as many open Nazis.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
90s cartoons were pretty good.

Current cartoons are also pretty good, though, so that's not a dramatic shift, really.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Good to see Frost inherited Caitlin's luck with men.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Does everyone on this show have face blindness? Is it supposed to be difficult to tell that Caitlin and Frost look identical? :stare:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tiggum posted:

Does everyone on this show have face blindness? Is it supposed to be difficult to tell that Caitlin and Frost look identical? :stare:

I'm sure eventually one of them will have to pose as the other and someone will comment how they never noticed the resemblance.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I had a hearty guffaw when the mean inspector lady said Caitlin had 80 points of commonality with Frost when they ran her through facial recognition.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

They live in the DCU, the birthplace of bad disguises.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This bartender guy comes across as a guy who thinks liking craft beers and having abs is a personality.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

This bartender guy comes across as a guy who thinks liking craft beers and having abs is a personality.

Chillblaines have always been shallow pretty-boy doofuses like that.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Pretty weak episode but I did like Chester trying to console Frost in the most ham-fisted way possible, trying to get his "cry talk time" going like the rest of the team does and everyone else just awkwardly walking out of shot.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

McSpanky posted:

Chillblaines have always been shallow pretty-boy doofuses like that.

When he was revealed to be the villain I was not surprised at all.

Maybe Frost will have the same court as Lex on Supergirl and they'll let her go.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I’d be ok with those abs and drinking some micro brews

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
As much as I'd like to watch Cisco and Chester get trapped in the 90s again, does anyone know why it's a repeat today?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Shows on a little break.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Good. It needs it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It needs a long break.

Like forever.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
The last good season of The Flash was Season 1

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ApeHawk posted:

The last good season of The Flash was Season 1

I've enjoyed the show through its whole run more or less... but this is cripplingly correct.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
if you liked the first season of The Flash please watch Kamen Rider Build

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
What's going on right now anyway? The Speed Force is a person now? It looks like Barry's mom? I only know about the plot from Tumblr gifs.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

What's going on right now anyway? The Speed Force is a person now? It looks like Barry's mom?

Yes.

Also there are other "forces" that are indistinguishable from metahumans - except more powerful in some undefined way.

That's it. You now know as much as anyone else.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really wish they'd stop with "somethings wrong with the speedforce" story constantly. It would be like if in Supergirl Kara was constantly losing her powers because the sun was acting weird.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

I really wish they'd stop with "somethings wrong with the speedforce" story constantly. It would be like if in Supergirl Kara was constantly losing her powers because the sun was acting weird.

Seriously, slag pre-"prestige" TV all you want, but at least villain-of-the-week plots didn't involve taffy-stretched melodrama and the heroes' powers going on the fritz every other episode.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

If I was in charge of creating a superhero show, I'd have some ground rules for the show:

1. You get exactly one use of 'the hero got their powers taken away' trope; and it has to be resolved in 2 episodes max. You're not allowed to do it in the first or last season of the show.

2. Plotlines revolving around the hero being framed for something the villain did/being sent to jail/pursued by the law are not allowed (exceptions apply if the status quo of the super hero story involve the hero being an anti hero/criminal etc who is being pursued by the law from the get go; but you still don't get to do 'hero gets framed and has to clear their name plots)

3. Artificial drama that relies on characters behaving in a way that normal people would never behave is banned. This covers things like - plots that rely on characters not communicating with each other like normal people/needlessly lying or keeping secrets; The team falling apart and fighting each other for some dumb reason.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

If I was in charge of creating a superhero show, I'd have some ground rules for the show:

1. You get exactly one use of 'the hero got their powers taken away' trope; and it has to be resolved in 2 episodes max. You're not allowed to do it in the first or last season of the show.

2. Plotlines revolving around the hero being framed for something the villain did/being sent to jail/pursued by the law are not allowed (exceptions apply if the status quo of the super hero story involve the hero being an anti hero/criminal etc who is being pursued by the law from the get go; but you still don't get to do 'hero gets framed and has to clear their name plots)

3. Artificial drama that relies on characters behaving in a way that normal people would never behave is banned. This covers things like - plots that rely on characters not communicating with each other like normal people/needlessly lying or keeping secrets; The team falling apart and fighting each other for some dumb reason.

4. It must be possible for the heroes to defeat the villain by means of some pre-established ability or circumstance, and there must be something preventing them from doing so right away. They may acquire the ability or set up the circumstance they need before the final confrontation, but it must be consistent with the setting and, if acquired intentionally, involve some difficulty. It is absolutely not acceptable for the villain to easily defeat the hero in episode one only to lose a rematch under the exact same conditions in episode 22, nor can the team's technology expert or wizard just invent the critical piece of equipment that turns the tide.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
5. NO GODDAMN TIME TRAVEL

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I’ll agree with 4. Not going to agree with 5 (see: time idiots).

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Rhyno posted:

5. NO GODDAMN TIME TRAVEL

Congratulations, you just banned Legends,

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

You can't ban time travel from Flash anyways, it's a huge part of the comics.

Also then there would have been no Time Trax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Barry Allen is no longer allowed to Time Travel, only the Legends are allowed.