Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Mr. Neutron posted:

Sure but why make him a new character and not Johny

He might be - one of the theories is he takes Johnny Cage as a stage name when he decides to go into acting at the end of the movie. The others are that Cole Young is an in-movie anglicization of Kuai Liang, or that he's Scorpion's son that somehow survived the murder of his family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Just on a loop today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7XvA9gOCxQ

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I still think he's gonna be Sub Zero II, based only on the stupid joke of Cole=Cold.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Vincent posted:

I still think he's gonna be Sub Zero II, based only on the stupid joke of Cole=Cold.
But on the other hand, Coal... makes Smoke

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Martman posted:

But on the other hand, Coal... makes Smoke

Now we just need to get from "Cole" to "Noob" or "Saibot" and we're in bussines.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Well, he is a new character to the franchise and so technically a noob :v:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I don't like EDM or dubstep and yet this is perfect.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mr. Neutron posted:

Sure but why make him a new character and not Johny

:hmmyes:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

wow this was actually so good

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Robot Style posted:

He might be - one of the theories is he takes Johnny Cage as a stage name when he decides to go into acting at the end of the movie. The others are that Cole Young is an in-movie anglicization of Kuai Liang, or that he's Scorpion's son that somehow survived the murder of his family.

I'm guessing it's one of the last two things. If he was Johnny Cage, they'd just have him be Johnny Cage. Why be coy about it? He's one of the most famous characters, that even general audiences know by name.

The Kuai Liang thing lends itself more to a reveal, and one that would require actual explanation of the lore to mean anything to someone who didn't already know.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

That interview does rule!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Xealot posted:

I'm guessing it's one of the last two things. If he was Johnny Cage, they'd just have him be Johnny Cage. Why be coy about it? He's one of the most famous characters, that even general audiences know by name.

The Kuai Liang thing lends itself more to a reveal, and one that would require actual explanation of the lore to mean anything to someone who didn't already know.

Both in and out of universe too, given he's generally shown to have a movie career before he's pulled into supernatural bloodsports. And a personality that isn't subtle in the slightest. Again, pretty sure they're leaving Cage out basically because it's hard for him not to steal the show.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Both in and out of universe too, given he's generally shown to have a movie career before he's pulled into supernatural bloodsports. And a personality that isn't subtle in the slightest. Again, pretty sure they're leaving Cage out basically because it's hard for him not to steal the show.

Also, sequel material. Watch MK 2 be a meta movie about how Cage stars in a movie about the events of MK 1.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Movie is decent (helps that the bar for adaptations of fighting games is so low), good fights, good effects and gore, short and no filler

Main character is basically a lazy OC with not very inspiring powers and movie sorta knows that so he tags in Scorpion for most of the final fight

Whoooole lot of fanservice and callbacks to games, Kano complaining about Liu Kang doing leg sweeps in practice match and doing an awkward standing jump to avoid it was the best

They tried to cram in a lot of characters which rules but the last 20 minutes are incredibly rushed with final fights arranged by deus ex raiden teleporting people around the world so they can fight parallel to each other at "stages" and the end is a very self-assuring sequel setup, they dont even fight Shang Tsung

No Buckethead and Lords of Acid on soundtrack makes you miss them obviously, generic action music is meh but main theme drop when Scorpion finally appears is hype

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They wanted Van Damme for the role but he turned it down to do Street Fighter. Cameron Diaz was also cast for Sonya Blade but she had to do out after breaking her hand three weeks into training.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

Also, sequel material. Watch MK 2 be a meta movie about how Cage stars in a movie about the events of MK 1.

It's very easy to imagine MK2 opening with a shittier-looking version of this movie starring some dude from the CW in some atrocious sunglasses.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

well why not posted:

It's very easy to imagine MK2 opening with a shittier-looking version of this movie starring some dude from the CW in some atrocious sunglasses.

And he's playing Lou Kane.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Grendels Dad posted:

And he's playing Lou Kane.

Cage acting as Liu Kang in the in-universe movie would be a great parody of the way Hollywood and even earlier MK used to cast white guys in Asian roles.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So on watching Wyatt Russell in Falcon and the Winter Soldier, I nominate him for Johnny Cage. Plus someone said Cage was like Jack Burton, so this works great.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Because God loves us all, a metal cover of the Mortal Kombat theme with Gilbert Gottfried on vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he0eBTZaMEk

Gavok fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 13, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

fatherboxx posted:

Main character is basically a lazy OC with not very inspiring powers and movie sorta knows that so he tags in Scorpion for most of the final fight
That just lends credence to the theory that he's related to Scorpion I guess, without confirming anything either way

Oh and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivnLWjHLbGU
SUCKERSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

If you want to find out for sure, the entire plot synopsis is up on the movie's Wikipedia page thanks to it already being out internationally.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Robot Style posted:

If you want to find out for sure, the entire plot synopsis is up on the movie's Wikipedia page thanks to it already being out internationally.

Oh thanks for tempting me!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I looked at it. I don't hate it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Wait is this coming out the 16th or 23rd?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

Wait is this coming out the 16th or 23rd?

23rd.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

If this doesn’t have the song AND the guy yelling, it’s trash.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

nemesis_hub posted:

If this doesn’t have the song AND the guy yelling, it’s trash.

https://youtu.be/N7XvA9gOCxQ

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Ehh...they tried I guess. Low energy dubstep version. My prediction based solely on this track is that the movie will be decent but unexciting and utterly forgotten 6 months from now.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
getting pretty strong “pretty good but the sequel will be the good one” vibes here

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

John Romero posted:

getting pretty strong “pretty good but the sequel will be the good one” vibes here

Getting Hellboy vibes, though I imagine in this case of the OC do not steal shows up again it'll be to be brutally Fatalitied within the first five minutes and never be mentioned again.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

John Romero posted:

I was dreading this.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

John Romero posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2cdSdlXBrw&t=131s

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

I unironically like this lmao. It just loving goes for it

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The revamped theme brings 1995 to 2012's style, which is really appropriate.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Finally the Mortal Kombat Kung Fury crossover no one asked for, thanks to Mortal Mugen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfOt6sQDMLM
Can't wait for the movies to give us Polar Sub Zero and Anime Girl Goro as well

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Don't think this trailer has been posted yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz6VJN_mgp8

Shows a couple additional characters popping up: Kabal and (probably) Smoke.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJCvrUlf3tM

I'm ready for Friday

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

That is a disappointing but unsurprising amount of CGI blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Looks pretty good apart from the CGI blood.